PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Derek Wolfe gets emotional thinking about injury

Denver Native (Carol)
08-22-2013, 05:14 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Derek Wolfe emerged from the locker room and walked toward the Denver Broncos' practice field late Thursday morning. But he isn't ready to join his teammates just yet, and Wolfe admits getting emotional when he thinks about the last time he was on a football field.

It was five days ago and he was being strapped to a stretcher and loaded into an ambulance that had driven onto the field at CenturyLink Field in Seattle after Wolfe had gone motionless after a head-to-neck hit in the first quarter of a preseason game.

Wolfe, the Broncos' starting left defensive end, never lost consciousness after the collision with Seahawks fullback Michael Robinson. The scariest part, Wolfe said, was that though he knew he could move his legs and arms while he face-down on the grass, his limbs had gone numb.

rest - http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/broncos/2013/08/22/derek-wolfe-broncos/2688977/

sneakers
08-22-2013, 05:26 PM
Cervical injury?

Cervix?

Derek Woolf confirmed to be a woman

GEM
08-22-2013, 05:29 PM
The picture in the article is still scary lookin! Glad he's going to be ok!

dogfish
08-22-2013, 05:45 PM
Cervical injury?

Cervix?

Derek Woolf confirmed to be a woman

:anatomyfail:

:humorfail:

:sneakersfail:

chazoe60
08-22-2013, 05:48 PM
He's one of my favorites. He seems like a guy that truly appreciates what he has. Sylvester Williams seems like a similar type of person.

Jsteve01
08-22-2013, 10:16 PM
love getting these workman/lunchpail types.

Softskull
08-22-2013, 11:16 PM
He's one of my favorites. He seems like a guy that truly appreciates what he has. Sylvester Williams seems like a similar type of person.

Agreed. I love both of those guys and a nice young core for the future of that line. Glad to see he's alright.

Hawgdriver
08-22-2013, 11:37 PM
Makes me think of the hockey guys that took a blade to the throat. PTSD symptoms. I love Derek, hope he doesn't have to deal with that.

Broncolingus
08-22-2013, 11:51 PM
Very glad he's okay...

...seems like the 'risk' is something that ALL players take when taking the field...

...guess I'm missing something.

Softskull
08-23-2013, 12:06 AM
Very glad he's okay...

...seems like the 'risk' is something that ALL players take when taking the field...

...guess I'm missing something.

I guess. I drive a car every day and risk being hit by a train. I cross those tracks every freakin' day.
If I did get hit by that train, I'd be very happy, maybe even emotional, if I survived the wreck unscathed.
Just because Wolfe makes a gazillion dollars this year, it would still suck to be a quadriplegic.
Hope that helps.

Jsteve01
08-23-2013, 07:18 AM
Very glad he's okay...

...guess I'm missing something.. Right I mean the guy only lost feeling in his extremities. What a ***** for getting emotional about that. Am I right?

Ravage!!!
08-23-2013, 10:32 AM
Well, hopefully he gets over this fear of being hit. If he's really that emotional about it (and I don't know just how far it really is), then playing with fear will only hinder him. But, right now, I'm sure he just needs to get hit one time and he'll forget the fear. It happens.

SoCalImport
08-23-2013, 10:46 AM
So happy to hear the prognosis is good. We need Wolfe healthy. And no one wants a serious injury especially in such a young player.

G_Money
08-23-2013, 12:53 PM
Well, hopefully he gets over this fear of being hit. If he's really that emotional about it (and I don't know just how far it really is), then playing with fear will only hinder him. But, right now, I'm sure he just needs to get hit one time and he'll forget the fear. It happens.

Did you read the article, Rav?

And the hit, Wolfe said, certainly won't change the way he plays once he returns.

"If you play scared you're going to get hurt again. So don't count on me playing scared," Wolfe said.
We'll see if he can play like nothing happened, but he certainly believes he will.

~G

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-23-2013, 01:43 PM

We'll see if he can play like nothing happened, but he certainly believes he will.

~G

He seems to be someone who genuinely appreciates what they have. I don't doubt that he'll still go all out.

dogfish
08-23-2013, 04:24 PM

:confused: :confused:

~G

Denver Native (Carol)
08-23-2013, 04:32 PM
from article:

Linebacker Wesley Woodyard joked on Monday that the team gave Wolfe a hard time for sitting in first class on the flight to Denver, but the team was glad to see him back on his feet.

“They clapped for me and stuff when I got on the plane and everything," Wolfe said. "I was extremely happy to be on the plane with (them). I look at this team as my family, so it was good to be there.”

AND

“Well, if you play scared you’re going to get hurt again," he said. "Don’t count on me playing scared.”

full article and video - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Wolfe-Dont-Count-On-Me-Playing-Scared/abf51898-d2ee-49dc-a6c6-fcb7267dd57b

Denver Native (Carol)
08-23-2013, 04:51 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 1h

Scary result, but the hit that injured Derek Wolfe was clean. No fines (for either Sea TE Luke Willson or FB Michael Robinson) issued.