PDA

View Full Version : Von Miller suspension fallout: How Denver Broncos must adapt

Denver Native (Carol)
08-21-2013, 08:40 PM
The six-game suspension of All-Pro linebacker Von Miller will force the Denver Broncos to alter their approach on both sides of the ball. This development not only impacts the philosophies and schemes devised by John Fox and his coaching staff, but it also forces a handful of role players to step up.

Miller racked up 30 sacks and a whole bunch of disruptive plays in his first two NFL seasons; compensating for this loss is certainly an unenviable task. Given some time to break down the All-22 Coaches Film and reflect on potential adjustments, here's how I expect the Broncos' coaching staff to weather the storm over the season's first six weeks:

1) Expect the pass rush to hinge on Shaun Phillips and Wesley Woodyard.

rest - good article, plus videos
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000232423/article/von-miller-suspension-fallout-how-denver-broncos-must-adapt

Army Bronco
08-21-2013, 10:09 PM
You know Carol, I think Nacho is the X factor not mentioned in the article. The dude is still learning and is playing well. He will get better as the year progresses....hopefully.

topscribe
08-21-2013, 11:14 PM
What those guys seem to overlook is that Denver is NOT left with nothing to work
with. As the Chargers' Gates commented, Denver is great with Von, but still good
without him. Denver still has Shaun Phillips, who was still playing at a high level
with 9.5 sacks last year. Wolfe had the same number of sacks in his rookie year,
last year, as J.J. Watt had in his, IIRC, Sly Williams' strength is the pass rush, and
Q. Smith is a pass-rushing terror when healthy, and he's reportedly getting there.

But, you know, I don't believe Ihenacho is the X factor here. Don't get me
wrong -- I really believe he will become a Pro Bowl caliber player with a bit more
experience -- but the X factor, IMO, is Jack Del Rio. The guy is a genius DC, and
I believe as long as he's there, Denver will have a pass rush.

Army Bronco
08-22-2013, 12:23 AM
What those guys seem to overlook is that Denver is NOT left with nothing to work
with. As the Chargers' Gates commented, Denver is great with Von, but still good
without him. Denver still has Shaun Phillips, who was still playing at a high level
with 9.5 sacks last year. Wolfe had the same number of sacks in his rookie year,
last year, as J.J. Watt had in his, IIRC, Sly Williams' strength is the pass rush, and
Q. Smith is a pass-rushing terror when healthy, and he's reportedly getting there.

But, you know, I don't believe Ihenacho is the X factor here. Don't get me
wrong -- I really believe he will become a Pro Bowl caliber player with a bit more
experience -- but the X factor, IMO, is Jack Del Rio. The guy is a genius DC, and
I believe as long as he's there, Denver will have a pass rush. Good point. JDR will develop a good group of schemes and personnel packages.

tubby
08-22-2013, 12:41 AM
Wolfe and Ayers are up.

Dzone
08-22-2013, 12:50 AM
JDR praised Malik Jackson but havent heard his name much.

Broncolingus
08-22-2013, 01:52 AM
Von Miller suspension fallout: How Denver Broncos must adapt

HORSEPOWER 56
08-22-2013, 06:07 AM
This just puts more pressure on the offense to score a lot of points. We have a huge investment in our offensive unit and a ton of talent. They'll just have to carry more of the load for awhile.

Wish we still had Dumervil...

TXBRONC
08-22-2013, 09:14 AM
This just puts more pressure on the offense to score a lot of points. We have a huge investment in our offensive unit and a ton of talent. They'll just have to carry more of the load for awhile.

Wish we still had Dumervil...

It wouldn't have been nice but according to some it really wasn't that big of a deal.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-22-2013, 09:32 AM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Headed into his 10th NFL season, Broncos linebacker Shaun Phillips has seen enough football to know that the proverbial show will go on despite the absence of a key player like Von Miller.

And after Wednesday’s practice, Phillips pointed out that bouts with adversity can ultimately strengthen a team’s determination – an approach that he says the Broncos defense will adopt in preparing for playing without Miller for the first six games of the regular season.

“Pressure can either break you or pressure can make diamonds,” Phillips said. “We’re going to continue with the philosophy that pressure is going to make diamonds for us. We’ll be quite alright.”

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Phillips-on-Millers-Absence-Well-Be-OK/2c322a11-0935-4c82-9891-22e22ba06676

Denver Native (Carol)
08-22-2013, 09:36 AM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- At the moment, the Broncos have clarity in knowing who is available to play linebacker.

They know exactly how long Von Miller's suspension will last. They know they'll have to do without Stewart Bradley as he recuperates from this week's wrist surgery. They also know that to get the best players on the field at the proper moments, a few shifts are involved.

And that would have meant Wesley Woodyard would have moved from the weak side to the middle, no matter what happened with Bradley, who was injured in Seattle on Saturday night.

"That was going to be a move we made regardless," Head Coach John Fox said on Tuesday.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Woodyards-Shift-to-Middle-Part-of-Solution-at-Linebacker/79317c1e-ca3a-4e3a-8466-66a0bb0123c1

TXBRONC
08-22-2013, 09:41 AM
rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Phillips-on-Millers-Absence-Well-Be-OK/2c322a11-0935-4c82-9891-22e22ba06676

It's not like they have choice. They have to make an attempt to compensate for Miller. Del Rio is a very bright defensive coordinator we'll know soon enough if he has enough talent to cover the abscence of Miller.