PDA

View Full Version : Wes Woodyard, Denver's MLB?

rationalfan
08-19-2013, 02:42 PM
with all the von discussions, this seems to have slipped through virtually unnoticed. with bradley out, woodyard is the team's MLB. now, does that mean del rio has little faith in irving, or is irving taking over von's role?

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_23893847/broncos-stewart-bradley-have-wrist-surgery-miss-several

powderaddict
08-19-2013, 02:45 PM
Irving is taking over SLB until Vonpocoplypse blows over.

G_Money
08-19-2013, 02:56 PM
Irving is our best Strong-side backup.

Woodyard is the defensive captain and signal-caller, which is normally a MLB position anyway, and he played the Mike in college.

Trevathan is on the field in nickel anyway and is the backup Will to Woodyard.

So this is just how we get our three best remaining LBs on the field at the same time. No big.

~G

Italianmobstr7
08-19-2013, 03:14 PM
I'm actually happy with this. Bradley seemed like he wasn't playing well anyways. Think this is the best lineup at LB we could ask for with Von being out.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-19-2013, 03:15 PM
I like it...that puts a lot of speed on the field. Both Woodyard and Danny T are playmakers.

Ziggy
08-19-2013, 03:15 PM
This really increases the speed on the defense. Trevathan is a playmaker. Putting him on the field more often will mean more big plays for the defense. It also counters other teams no huddle offense. The only drawback to this is going to be handling other teams power running game. The D line needs to step up in a big way. If they keep the linebackers clean, turnovers will increase.

Magnificent Seven
08-19-2013, 03:16 PM
I was wondering if Broncos would get LB Brian Urlacher?

Magnificent Seven
08-19-2013, 03:17 PM

I mean reel him out from retirement...

DenBronx
08-19-2013, 03:47 PM

I doubt it because hes rather old and he might not even be in football shape. Keith Brooking would have really helped at least.

At this point im happy for ANY new signing on defense. Every day its a suspension or injury. :tsk:

rationalfan
08-19-2013, 05:09 PM

i don't know, man. the LBs they do have seem to have one thing in common: speed. not sure urlacher has that anymore.

SR
08-19-2013, 06:53 PM

No.

CrazyHorse
08-19-2013, 06:55 PM
Oh how I wanted us to draft a LB. The team needs to next year.

dogfish
08-19-2013, 07:08 PM
woody and danny at MIKE and WILL should be fine for six games (or less, if bradley comes back and they start him at MIKE). . . hopefully irving can find a way to hold his own at SAM. . .

it's von's 3rd down pass rush that we won't be able to replace. . . shaun philips was effectively supposed to be the replacement for dumervil. . . we're pretty much left hoping that ayers or malik jackson can step up and give us something. . . we're also desperately thin at linebacker now-- depending on how much they really like steven johson, we may have to make a move there if miller is in fact gone for six weeks. . .

DenBronx
08-20-2013, 03:23 AM
woody and danny at MIKE and WILL should be fine for six games (or less, if bradley comes back and they start him at MIKE). . . hopefully irving can find a way to hold his own at SAM. . .

it's von's 3rd down pass rush that we won't be able to replace. . . shaun philips was effectively supposed to be the replacement for dumervil. . . we're pretty much left hoping that ayers or malik jackson can step up and give us something. . . we're also desperately thin at linebacker now-- depending on how much they really like steven johson, we may have to make a move there if miller is in fact gone for six weeks. . .

Please dont get our hopes up about our defense. It always crashes by week 5.

For once just tell us it sucks and then if it's good then we won't expect it.

dogfish
08-20-2013, 03:28 AM
Please dont get our hopes up about our defense. It always crashes by week 5.

For once just tell us it sucks and then if it's good then we won't expect it.

i wasn't saying it's going to be good-- just discussing how we'll try to hold down the fort. . .

Dapper Dan
08-20-2013, 04:15 AM
Didn't Irving have a nice Int filling in for Von last season? I really like Trevathan and I hope he can be a solid starter, as well as Woodyard. They're going to see a lot more action than they have in the past. I expect we'll hit up the LB positions late in the draft. It would still be cool if we got AJ Johnson in the first.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-20-2013, 05:54 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Phillips take Von's spot if Wolfe is back for the season opener. Irving really should play the Mike with Woody at Will. If Bradley can go then Irving might start at Sam with Phillips in the DE rotation.

There are a lot of variables still out there. I'm going to assume Von is suspended but Bradley, Champ, and Wolfe are all day to day.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-20-2013, 05:55 AM
Didn't Irving have a nice Int filling in for Von last season? I really like Trevathan and I hope he can be a solid starter, as well as Woodyard. They're going to see a lot more action than they have in the past. I expect we'll hit up the LB positions late in the draft. It would still be cool if we got AJ Johnson in the first.

I think you're thinking of Mario Haggan 2 years ago vs the Viqueens.

Dapper Dan
08-20-2013, 06:43 AM
I think you're thinking of Mario Haggan 2 years ago vs the Viqueens.

Maybe him or Hunter. I can't remember. I guess it obviously wasn't Irving.

Tned
08-20-2013, 07:40 AM
We'll see, but Bradley's injury and putting Woodyard and Trevathon on the field at the same time could be a blessing. They are both fast, active pursuers. The biggest negative, beyond Trevathon still being inexperienced, is they are both a bit undersized. Overall, I'm more worried with the CB situation (age and injuries) and OL depth and outside pass rush than I am worried about MLB/WLB.

TXBRONC
08-20-2013, 08:21 AM

Urlacher has nothing left in tank.

TXBRONC
08-20-2013, 08:26 AM
We'll see, but Bradley's injury and putting Woodyard and Trevathon on the field at the same time could be a blessing. They are both fast, active pursuers. The biggest negative, beyond Trevathon still being inexperienced, is they are both a bit undersized. Overall, I'm more worried with the CB situation (age and injuries) and OL depth and outside pass rush than I am worried about MLB/WLB.

In a 4-3 it's not as much of problem to have smaller linebackers if you have a couple space eating defensive tackles.

dogfish
08-20-2013, 11:31 AM

it was haggan-- the TD return. . .

dogfish
08-20-2013, 11:43 AM
and, here we go. . . legwold just tweeted that we signed paris lenon. . . depth signing, but it does confirm that they expect von to be gone for a while. . .

Dapper Dan
08-20-2013, 11:48 AM
and, here we go. . . legwold just tweeted that we signed paris lenon. . . depth signing, but it does confirm that they expect von to be gone for a while. . .

I got really excited because I thought it read Parys Haralson at first. I have no idea who Lenon is. Sounds like a Commie Russian.

dogfish
08-20-2013, 12:02 PM
I got really excited because I thought it read Parys Haralson at first. I have no idea who Lenon is. Sounds like a Commie Russian.

he's an older journeyman who's kicked around the league a good while now. . . nothing special-- that's what you get this time of year. . . he at least has some starting experience. . .

if we're really worried about it, we may find an upgrade when other teams make their cutdowns. . .

rationalfan
08-20-2013, 02:41 PM

no it doesn't. it only suggests they need more depth after an injury and potential suspension.

slim
08-20-2013, 02:53 PM

I am worried that moving Woody inside will diminish his effectiveness (he’s not big/strong enough). Hope I’m wrong.

TXBRONC
08-20-2013, 02:59 PM

He's correct it was Haggans.

powderaddict
08-20-2013, 03:33 PM

Or it confirms that Bradley will be out awhile recovering from the surgery he is having on his hand.

dogfish
08-20-2013, 04:08 PM
no it doesn't. it only suggests they need more depth after an injury and potential suspension.

von is now officially suspended for six games, and i'm sure the FO knew it this morning. . .

but yea, could be total coincidence. . .

TXBRONC
08-20-2013, 04:24 PM
von is now officially suspended for six games, and i'm sure the FO knew it this morning. . .

but yea, could be total coincidence. . .

I'm would be surprised if they didn't know this morning.

broncofaninfla
08-20-2013, 04:35 PM
I think this move is more about Bradley than Miller. Bradley actually backed Lenon up last year for the Cardinals.

dogfish
08-20-2013, 04:37 PM
I think this move is more about Bradley than Miller. Bradley actually backed Lenon up last year for the Cardinals.

quite possibly so-- but it's also about the fact that irving, the theoretical backup MIKE, now has to start at SAM for the first six games. . .

all semantics, anyway. . . the bottom line is that we'll be without both of them to start the season, and needed another 'backer. . .

TXBRONC
08-20-2013, 04:47 PM
quite possibly so-- but it's also about the fact that irving, the theoretical backup MIKE, now has to start at SAM for the first six games. . .

all semantics, anyway. . . the bottom line is that we'll be without both of them to start the season, and needed another 'backer. . .

Now that it's official I wonder how much this changes how they use Phillips. His natural position is Sam so maybe Del Rio tries to use him in manner similar to how they use Miller.

dogfish
08-20-2013, 04:58 PM
Now that it's official I wonder how much this changes how they use Phillips. His natural position is Sam so maybe Del Rio tries to use him in manner similar to how they use Miller.

without knowing what they did with philips in camp, it's tough to guess. . . irving's been getting second team work at SAM in the pre-season, though, so i'm assuming that he'll start there in the base defense, with philips taking von's snaps in the nickel and dime (both as a down lineman, and a 'backer when we play that amoeba defense). . . we'll see in a few weeks. . .

TXBRONC
08-20-2013, 05:07 PM
without knowing what they did with philips in camp, it's tough to guess. . . irving's been getting second team work at SAM in the pre-season, though, so i'm assuming that he'll start there in the base defense, with philips taking von's snaps in the nickel and dime (both as a down lineman, and a 'backer when we play that amoeba defense). . . we'll see in a few weeks. . .

I know in the first two preseason games Phillips was primarily a used as down lineman. If fact I can recall him taking any as a linebacker the last couple of weeks.

Broncolingus
08-20-2013, 06:15 PM
Woodyard is the defensive captain and signal-caller, which is normally a MLB position anyway, and he played the Mike in college.

~G

Yup, with the Lenon signing, 99.9% Woodyard is middle...

...at least until the injuries, suspensions, alien abductions, etc. all sort out.

Great opportunity for Woodyard to show that his great 2012 season (he should've made the Pro Bowl) wasn't a fluke...

SR
08-20-2013, 07:40 PM
he's an older journeyman who's kicked around the league a good while now. . . nothing special-- that's what you get this time of year. . . he at least has some starting experience. . .

if we're really worried about it, we may find an upgrade when other teams make their cutdowns. . .

Cardinal fans were pissed the organization didn't re-sign him.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-22-2013, 06:12 AM

The nice thing about Woody and Trevathan already being on the field is that both can cover. No need for a bunch of substitution if opposing offenses throw on first down a lot. Both are also very willing tacklers which I love.