PDA

View Full Version : When Was the Last Time?

spikerman
08-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Ok, I realize it was a preseason game, and I don't really put much stock in them, but watching last night got me to thinking; when was the last time the Broncos had a defense that looked like it was more physical than their opponents? I know that last year they were ranked fairly high, but they didn't necessarily intimidate people. Last night it was obvious that the Seahawks were the ones punching the Broncos in the mouth. I can't remember the last time that the Broncos really played a physical game. Maybe the O-line of the SB years?

chazoe60
08-18-2013, 08:21 PM
Ok, I realize it was a preseason game, and I don't really put much stock in them, but watching last night got me to thinking; when was the last time the Broncos had a defense that looked like it was more physical than their opponents? I know that last year they were ranked fairly high, but they didn't necessarily intimidate people. Last night it was obvious that the Seahawks were the ones punching the Broncos in the mouth. I can't remember the last time that the Broncos really played a physical game. Maybe the O-line of the SB years?

I think 2005 with Al Wilson and John Lynch would qualify. I really liked that team.

Dapper Dan
08-18-2013, 08:33 PM
http://imageshack.com/a/img163/9640/ur78.jpg (http://imageshack.com/i/4jur78j/)

DenBronx
08-18-2013, 08:35 PM
I agree that our defense looks soft. That greatly worries me.

Been begging for a nasty MLB for years now. One mean SOB MLB to get these guys to start bringing the nasty.

I wanted Vontaze Burfict....even if it was a late rounder but no one thought it was a good idea. I thought Beason was our best choice years ago but instead we drafted a twig legged DE that turned out to be a bust??

We have been looking for that guy since Al Wilson.

Our guys looked like soft served ice creamed last night. There's no other way to describe it really.

DenBronx
08-18-2013, 08:36 PM
http://imageshack.com/a/img163/9640/ur78.jpg (http://imageshack.com/i/4jur78j/)

He was a badass.

Dapper Dan
08-18-2013, 08:37 PM
The "player safety" rules don't exactly help.

spikerman
08-18-2013, 08:42 PM
The "player safety" rules don't exactly help.

Seattle had no problem getting physical with the new rules.

TXBRONC
08-18-2013, 08:42 PM
Last season's defense was feared.

No they haven't looked great in the preseason it's still way to early to start panicking.

spikerman
08-18-2013, 08:44 PM
Last season's defense was feared.

No they haven't looked great in the preseason it's still way to early to start panicking.

I'm not panicking and this is not in response to one game. I just hate our team being looked at as a "finesse" team. Part of football is about intimidation. I'm not sure the Broncos defense intimidates anybody.

Dapper Dan
08-18-2013, 08:50 PM
Seattle had no problem getting physical with the new rules.

Seattle didn't have a problem with rules at all last night.

The way they were hitting Oz, do you think they could ever hit Peyton or Brady like that without getting a flag? If you hit someone too hard, it's a flag. That's why do see more finesse and less physical teams. I believe it started around 2006 or 2007. Remember the hit that John Lynch laid on Dante Hall?

TXBRONC
08-18-2013, 08:51 PM
I'm not panicking and this is not in response to one game. I just hate our team being looked at as a "finesse" team. Part of football is about intimidation. I'm not sure the Broncos defense intimidates anybody.

Who's calling them a finesse team? The 49ers in there glory days of '80s through the mid '90s were thought of as a finesse team but they were far from it.

Broncolingus
08-18-2013, 09:09 PM

I've often thought about this off and on over the years...

I think the last time Denver's 'character' was defense was the late 70s with the Orange Crush...and don't really think any defense Denver has had over the years has consistently been that physical and dominating.

I think the 80s and 90s Elway defined the Broncos more than anything else (thus so it was offense), and that was the character of the team (perhaps rightfully so)...and the offenses of the 90s Super Bowl years were certainly once-in-a-lifetime (with a solid defense during those years too).

...but I can't remember the last time, and I've commented on this repeatedly over the years, I've really felt the defense - and especially front seven of Denver - have been physical and dominant...again, vice the late 70s...

...which is what I think teams generally need to consistently win in the postseason.

JMO

spikerman
08-18-2013, 09:15 PM
Seattle didn't have a problem with rules at all last night.

The way they were hitting Oz, do you think they could ever hit Peyton or Brady like that without getting a flag? If you hit someone too hard, it's a flag. That's why do see more finesse and less physical teams. I believe it started around 2006 or 2007. Remember the hit that John Lynch laid on Dante Hall?

If they hit them legally then yes, I think they could hit them without getting a flag. I disagree with you that "if you hit someone too hard, it's a flag" - that's just not accurate.

Dapper Dan
08-18-2013, 09:27 PM
If they hit them legally then yes, I think they could hit them without getting a flag. I disagree with you that "if you hit someone too hard, it's a flag" - that's just not accurate.

That's fine if you do.

I would also add that last night I'm not sure if they were trying to hit hard or not, but they were missing awfully bad. I hope this week's practice will have a lot of wrapping up the tackler.

silkamilkamonico
08-18-2013, 10:50 PM
I won't label our defense soft serve until I see it get shredded in the regular season.

Our defense was f'n good last year, and yes, intimidating.

You telling me Von Miller doesn't intimidate opposing QB's?

:rolleyes:

atwater27
08-18-2013, 11:29 PM
Yes, I will wait until week one. Something tells me our D line will be tough as nails, at least against the run. We lost Dumervil, and his achiles heal was being small and easily wiped off the field on running plays. Phillips is instantly tougher than him overall, if a tad of a downgrade in the passrush. Our linebackers are young, and relatively inexperienced, but scrappy. Our safeties are physical. This year, it looks like if our defense gets beat, it will be by speed and finesse.

Army Bronco
08-18-2013, 11:47 PM
I won't label our defense soft serve until I see it get shredded in the regular season.

Our defense was f'n good last year, and yes, intimidating.

You telling me Von Miller doesn't intimidate opposing QB's?

:rolleyes:Our D looked awesome in the Carolina game last season. That's what I want to see every game.

powderaddict
08-19-2013, 09:37 AM
Our D looked awesome in the Carolina game last season. That's what I want to see every game.

I was going to say the same thing. That's a great recent example of a game the defense just beat the opposition, physically dominating them.

I'd say last season the defense was very tough and physical. With Fox and JDR running the D, I'd expect more of that this year. I wonder if losing Wolfe took the wind out of their sails Sat night?