PDA

View Full Version : In today's NFL, would Elway still be a #1 pick?

sneakers
08-18-2013, 06:38 PM
Or do you think the nitpickers would say "not a winner in college", "too skinny", "immaturity", "west coast babby", etc?

MOtorboat
08-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Yes.

/thread

He was considered the greatest quarterback prospect ever, and still is considered that.

TXBRONC
08-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Or do you think the nitpickers would say "not a winner in college", "too skinny", "immaturity", "west coast babby", etc?

Yes he would still be a number one pick.

SR
08-18-2013, 06:45 PM
Hard to tell, but if he compares to any current NFL QB it would be either Luck or Rodgers, both first rounders and one a number one overall. I think Elway's scrambling ability with his vision and rocket arm places him top three overall easy.

Magnificent Seven
08-18-2013, 06:51 PM
Yes!

dogfish
08-18-2013, 07:00 PM
i hope that wasn't a serious question. . .

DenBronx
08-18-2013, 07:13 PM
Yes.

/thread

He was considered the greatest quarterback prospect ever, and still is considered that.

ditto

/thread

Someone neg sneakers

SR
08-18-2013, 07:19 PM
I wish we had negs and points and shit.

spikerman
08-18-2013, 07:54 PM
Well, he was a mobile quarterback with possibly the strongest arm the NFL has ever seen. Oh yeah, definite number one pick. No question about it.

chazoe60
08-18-2013, 08:12 PM
Sneakers, you quit trolling these nice people or we'll change your name to Mr. BoSneakers.

Broncolingus
08-18-2013, 09:15 PM

SR
08-19-2013, 07:08 AM
Well, he was a mobile quarterback with possibly the strongest arm the NFL has ever seen. Oh yeah, definite number one pick. No question about it.

Favre threw the ball harder than Elway.

powderaddict
08-19-2013, 09:45 AM
Favre threw the ball harder than Elway.

:motz::yell::motz::yell:

SR
08-19-2013, 09:49 AM
:motz::yell::motz::yell:

God forbid someone look at something without an orange bias...

chazoe60
08-19-2013, 09:53 AM

Settle down tiger.

BroncoJoe
08-19-2013, 09:55 AM

Well, I for one am not sure your statement is accurate.

BroncoWave
08-19-2013, 09:56 AM
If you ask Jay Cutler, Elway isn't even the strongest armed former Broncos QB.

powderaddict
08-19-2013, 10:01 AM

Except that you are wrong.

SR
08-19-2013, 10:13 AM
Well, I for one am not sure your statement is accurate.

It might not be. But it probably is. ;)

SR
08-19-2013, 10:15 AM
Except that you are wrong.

I dunno man...I've heard a lot of people say Favre had the strongest arm of any QB. I've never caught passes from either of them so I can't judge for myself...can only go off of what I've heard...and I've heard a lot of people say Favre has the stronger arm. I've also read a lot of things that say Bert Jones has the strongest arm of any QB ever and could throw the ball 100 yards at one point in his career.

Jay Cutler's arm is stronger than both so I'm not sure any of it really matters ;)

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-19-2013, 12:11 PM

When he was in his prime Favre had a stronger arm, but that was because Elway was 57 years old at the time. :laugh:

Northman
08-19-2013, 12:14 PM
I dunno man...I've heard a lot of people say Favre had the strongest arm of any QB. I've never caught passes from either of them so I can't judge for myself...can only go off of what I've heard...and I've heard a lot of people say Favre has the stronger arm. I've also read a lot of things that say Bert Jones has the strongest arm of any QB ever and could throw the ball 100 yards at one point in his career.

Jay Cutler's arm is stronger than both so I'm not sure any of it really matters ;)

Jay is pretty badass, when he is not pouting.

MOtorboat
08-19-2013, 12:36 PM
It sucks #ConMiller had to go and get suspended. This thread had legs.

:popcorn:

slim
08-19-2013, 12:54 PM
King??

SR
08-19-2013, 02:22 PM
When he was in his prime Favre had a stronger arm, but that was because Elway was 57 years old at the time. :laugh:

Lol...fair enough.

Poet
08-19-2013, 04:01 PM
Yes.

/thread

Yeah, the closest thing to him as a prospect was/is Luck.

Poet
08-19-2013, 04:04 PM

Bradshaw is one of the consensus picks for the biggest arm ever. I think Elway had a stronger arm than Farve in terms of distance, but Favre could throw that thing so damn hard. Marino has to be in that discussion as well. Those are the names that come to mind from the elite category.

In the middling to just good category, Vick and Cutler come to mind. Bradshaw could be in this category as well.

Then for shitty players, Jeff George and JaMarcus Russell are in there.

SR
08-19-2013, 04:24 PM
Then for shitty players, Jeff George and JaMarcus Russell are in there.

Culpepper also had a cannon. Russell had an absolute cannon, but he also has 300 pounds of mass behind him.

Poet
08-19-2013, 04:26 PM
Culpepper also had a cannon. Russell had an absolute cannon, but he also has 300 pounds of mass behind him.

I've never seen a QB go from being so good to so bad that quickly. He had a pretty deep pass, but I don't think he had the same velocity as the other guys.

SR
08-19-2013, 04:46 PM
I've never seen a QB go from being so good to so bad that quickly. He had a pretty deep pass, but I don't think he had the same velocity as the other guys.

Probably accurate. He could launch the damn ball though.

MOtorboat
08-19-2013, 04:50 PM

#RandyMoss
#CrisCarter

Poet
08-19-2013, 05:06 PM
#RandyMoss
#CrisCarter

#ohyeahgoodpoint.

CrazyHorse
08-19-2013, 07:22 PM
Would possibly one of the greatest QB prospects ever still be a #1 pick? Think about that for a second.

MOtorboat
08-19-2013, 07:31 PM
Would possibly one of the greatest QB prospects ever still be a #1 pick? Think about that for a second.

Yes.

Andrew Luck. Last year.

Simple Jaded
08-19-2013, 08:00 PM
Favre never gave his receivers crosses on their chest from his passes.

Poet
08-19-2013, 08:32 PM

Actually he did. So did Bradshaw. And Elway. And Marino. Favre broke some fingers with his passes.

Jsteve01
08-19-2013, 09:11 PM
hell if we're just talking arm strength then Billy Joe tolliver needs to be in this discussion. Or how about Dan McGwire

Simple Jaded
08-19-2013, 09:11 PM
Actually he did. So did Bradshaw. And Elway. And Marino. Favre broke some fingers with his passes.

Lies!

CrazyHorse
08-19-2013, 09:15 PM
Come on guys, we all know Jay Cutler has the strongest arm in the NFL.

EMB6903
08-19-2013, 10:13 PM
hard to tell, but if he compares to any current nfl qb it would be either luck or rodgers, both first rounders and one a number one overall. I think elway's scrambling ability with his vision and rocket arm places him top three overall easy.

rg3?

Poet
08-19-2013, 10:37 PM
Elway is not as fast or as quick as Elway, but Elway had the bigger and...sturdier body?

If memory serves, most of the gurus, old and new, have Elway at a 9.9 out of ten. Luck was ranked around there as well. Elway as a prospect was just unreal. At the time his mobility was incredible, his arm was great, he could throw touch passes, he had the ability to be accurate, he was smart - duh -. Each one of those assets was something a lot of guys have, but not to his degree.

About ten years ago, there was a nifty segment on ESPN about building the perfect QB. I think they came up with the mind of Peyton Manning, Vick's legs, etc etc etc. The list seemed to be primarily, it not totally, made from current players.

You could do all that to build the perfect QB, or you could just have John Elway. From a physiological standpoint, he's about as perfect of a prospect as you could have.

Other than his ugly horse face. Jesus god, the man is lucky that he had his physical prowess and mind. Slap that face on a normal dude and he'd be ******. Hideous. Ugh.

MOtorboat
08-19-2013, 10:41 PM
Elway is not as fast or as quick as Elway, but Elway had the bigger and...sturdier body?

How about we take a mulligan.

Poet
08-19-2013, 10:43 PM
How about we take a mulligan.

Eh, I can't bless with forum with greatness in EVERY sentence, just most of them. :D

SR
08-20-2013, 07:31 AM

He just broke their fingers...

SR
08-20-2013, 07:32 AM
rg3?

Not even close. RG3 is a way better scrambler than Elway but doesn't have the arm Elway did.

Chef Zambini
08-20-2013, 09:28 AM
Yes he would still be a number one pick.number one pick, shovel, wheel barrel and any other prospecting device.
to this day, mel the hair says JFE is the highest rated football player he has ever evaluated.
all the bronco loving kiper haters should try to remember that singular fact .

Ravage!!!
08-20-2013, 11:02 AM
Yes.

/thread

End of thread/

The Glue Factory
08-20-2013, 03:08 PM

I have yet to see a receiver's fingers as messed up as Mark Jackson's. After just a few short years of catching Elway's passes he did not have a straight finger on his hand from them being jammed and dislocated so many times.

No DC in the NFL envied going against Elway. At first, the thought was flush Elway from the pocket to rattle him. Elway burned defenses with deep pass after deep pass. So DCs thought it best to keep him in the pocket. Elway continued to disect their defense with near impunity.

No other QB in the history of the NFL brought such terror as to opposing DCs as Elway. THAT is the mark of a GOAT!