PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos ranked as the 13th most valuable NFL franchise by Forbes Magazine

Denver Native (Carol)
08-15-2013, 01:01 PM
NEW YORK - Denver Broncos may have one of the best fan bases in the NFL, but they are not the most valuable franchise in the league.

That distinction goes to the Dallas Cowboys, according to Forbes Magazine.

Commonly referred to as “America’s Team,” the Cowboys are valued at $2.3 billion, making $539 million in revenue last year.

The Broncos, valued at $1.161 billion, ranked No. 13 on the list. Denver raked in $283 million during the 2012 season.

rest - http://www.thedenverchannel.com/sports/broncos/denver-broncos-ranked-as-the-13th-most-valuable-nfl-franchise-by-forbes-magazine

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-15-2013, 01:10 PM
Wow, I don't want to hear anymore gossip about the Broncos being "cash strapped".

Joel
08-18-2013, 01:42 AM
Isn't this just a retread of their article ranking all the most valuable sports franchises? Aside from stadium revenue, comparing the most valuable NFL teams is like comparing trees all cropped to the same height.

Wow, I don't want to hear anymore gossip about the Broncos being "cash strapped".
Team value—even revenue—is irrelevant to cap. We couldn't pay players a dime more than that raking in $1 billion/day (which would require the NFL raked in $32 billion/day or stadium prices rose "a Mile High.")

What's more interesting is how each teams revenue breaks down: Most is merchandise/broadcast licensing, pooled and then divided evenly between teams. Teams only have exclusive rights to their stadium revenue, hence US expansion holds little appeal to current owners (who have sole discretion over whether and where to expand:) It won't earn them much more broadcast/merchandising revenue, and the new stadiums' revenue would go to new (i.e. NOT current) owners. The NFL (like many businesses) has simply pushed its market profits to their limit: Profits can't grow unless/until the market does.

That's reflected in recent rule changes and stadium re/innovation to make football more attention get/gripping: More spectacle=more spectators (i.e. paying consumers.) Sadly, it often sacrifices gravitas/integrity; it's unclear if that's a net gain (a recent ad survey noted last seasons TV ratings fell 5%—1 million viewers—from 2011: http://www.adweek.com/news/television/nfl-caps-another-powerhouse-season-146305.) The NFL's also following the honorable cigarette company tradition of targeting traditionally low-interest groups (i.e. women, hence pink uniforms throughout October) and youth on which it depends for the next generations fans (hence Play60.)

Unless those efforts pay big dividends soon, the NFL profits can only grow somewhere merchandise and TV licensing profits are so low they can ONLY rise, and that has enough disposable income to fund that rise. If there's any doubt the NFL (or rather, the owners who, well, OWN it) desperately desire that rise, the Bleacher Report article where I found the study showing a 5% ratings drop in 2012 included two other quotes:

2012 NFL revenue was ~$9.5 billion (roughly a third from TV, not counting Sunday Ticket.) http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/01/28/In-Depth/NFL-revenue-streams.aspx

By 2027, Roger Goodell says the NFL wants $25 billion in revenue. 250% revenue in fifteen years; all the pink jerseys in the world won't do that—or rather, they might, but all the pink jerseys in AMERICA can't. ;) http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2010/04/20100405/This-Weeks-News/Goodell-Sets-Revenue-Goal-Of-%2425B-By-2027-For-NFL.aspx

Simple Jaded
08-18-2013, 08:41 AM
2027? Holy shit, Joel posts an opinion about expansion that doesn't require Europe's overnight fanaticism?

Joel
08-18-2013, 09:18 AM
2027? Holy shit, Joel posts an opinion about expansion that doesn't require Europe's overnight fanaticism?
Not explicitly, but money's got to come from somewhere, and the US is maxxed out (and then some, based on last years TV ratings.) To go from $9.5 billion to $25 billion in 15 years the NFL can get new fans from Europe, China or Mars, but MUST get many paying ones SOMEWHERE. Although: I resisted the urge to pick a fight with a guy in a Faders cap at the movies the other night (granted this is Norway, but it was STILL a Faders fan, so I assume he had a shiv, and I was with my pregnant wife)—right before seeing a 'Skins cap; since it didn't name the city I'm pretty sure it was on a fan of football, not the US nor any of our cities.

Broncolingus
08-18-2013, 03:21 PM
Thx for the read, Carol...

...guess I thought Denver would've been ranked higher.

(Top 10 at least given the general success over the years)