PDA

View Full Version : NFL eyes former players for HGH testing

MOtorboat
08-15-2013, 12:30 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9568644/nfl-eyes-former-players-hgh-testing-according-report

The NFL and players' union plan to give dozens of former players human growth hormone and incorporate their subsequent HGH levels into a study, according to a USA Today Sports report Wednesday.

USA Today Sports, citing three sources with knowledge of the plan, reports that the tentative plan is to include about 100 former players in the study, of whom two-thirds would be administered HGH. The rest would get a placebo.

All of the former players' HGH levels would be tested before and after. It is unknown if any former players have agreed to take part.

That's right. The NFL is going to GIVE them this dangerous substance their players aren't supposed to use in order to help find out how much they should test for.

To me this falls into the absurd. If the substance isn't deemed horrible enough to administer to someone, then why is it illegal?

weazel
08-15-2013, 12:39 PM
that's some funny stuff. I also want to point out that the test subjects could already have some form of PED in them to begin with.

slim
08-15-2013, 12:42 PM
HGH isn't really dangerous if used under a doctor's direction. It's when idiots try and use it for non-medical reasons that it can be harmful for them.

BroncoWave
08-15-2013, 12:47 PM
HGH isn't really dangerous if used under a doctor's direction. It's when idiots try and use it for non-medical reasons that it can be harmful for them.

I was about to say the same thing. If the NFL is doing a controlled test using doctors, it probably poses little to no health risks. It's when players abuse it that I would assume you start to see those negative health effects.

Obviously none of us are doctors, but this seems to be the most logical explanation.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-15-2013, 12:48 PM
MANKATO, Minn. — Former NFL defensive back Solomon Wilcots said Wednesday that he'd volunteer "in a heartbeat" if asked to participate in a study the NFL Players Association hopes will determine the impact of human growth hormone use on players' HGH levels.

But one member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame said he'd have a lot of questions before agreeing to potentially take HGH as part of a broader population study that will include blood draws from all current players before testing goes into effect.

"Hey, I'm not just going to be somebody's guinea pig just to prove a point to see what's going on," former tight end Shannon Sharpe told USA TODAY Sports. "If I talk to enough people to get enough reassurances that everything is going to be OK, then no problem. Then I'm happy to help.

rest - http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/08/15/nflpa-human-growth-hormone-hgh-study-shannon-sharpe-solomon-wilcots/2658433/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+UsatodaycomNfl-TopStories+%28Sports+-+NFL+-+Top+Stories%29

MOtorboat
08-15-2013, 12:49 PM
Not gonna lie. It has crossed my mind in the past that 84 might have used something here or there. Just saying.

slim
08-15-2013, 12:54 PM
Not gonna lie. It has crossed my mind in the past that 84 might have used something here or there. Just saying.

Yeah, me too. Some people are genetic freaks who can put on muscle like that, but I think those people are few and far between. I don't have any science to back that up, but that is my understanding.

G_Money
08-15-2013, 01:25 PM
Shannon was using creatine (and advertising it) as well as other things. All those guys are "nutritional supplement" guys. What I'd love is a real study on HGH, because apparently it does wonderful things for an athlete (even though most of the current studies say it doesn't do anything) and I'd like to know what "HGH abuse" actually does. I mean, it makes 67 year old Sylvester Stallone have the body of a 30 year old. It's not nothing.

I still expect it to become legal in the future. I'd actually love for this study to be about the benefits and drawbacks of a properly supervised HGH regimen and not just for purposes of defining limits and testing parameters for drug testing. If anybody could use being turned back into healthy 30 year olds it's the battered former NFL players for whom the league tries to do as little as possible.

~G

Broncolingus
08-15-2013, 01:51 PM
Knowshon Moreno at the conclusion of the study...

G_Money
08-15-2013, 01:58 PM
He'd still bruise a knee pouring himself a cup of coffee though. :coffee:

~G

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-15-2013, 03:14 PM

Yeah, me too. Some people are genetic freaks who can put on muscle like that, but I think those people are few and far between. I don't have any science to back that up, but that is my understanding.

He was a spokesperson for EAS and was one of the first athletes to use creatine. His brother is also naturally thick, so I've never really suspected Shannon of using any banned substances.

ShaneFalco
08-15-2013, 06:48 PM
To me this falls into the absurd. If the substance isn't deemed horrible enough to administer to someone, then why is it illegal?

Can i save this as a sig quote?

MOtorboat
08-15-2013, 06:52 PM
Can i save this as a sig quote?

Did you know...I wanted marijuana legalized before you started posting here.

Seriously.

Think about that.

ShaneFalco
08-15-2013, 06:54 PM
hey i just want to be a complete hypocrite ..... Maybe one day....

MOtorboat
08-15-2013, 06:59 PM
hey i just want to be a complete hypocrite like you. Maybe one day....

A.) I never said I think HGH should be legal. I was pointing out the irony here and asking a question. The point being, not that I think you understood it, is that if it was a dangerous substance that should be deemed cheating if taken, they shouldn't be administering it to former players. Shannon Sharpe made that same point in his remarks today about not being a "guinea pig."

B.) Do you really want to get into a discussion about something that is not a controlled substance versus something that is?

Now, take your pot crusade back to P&R

ShaneFalco
08-15-2013, 07:02 PM
hahaha. You are the only person to talk it here.

Maybe you should practice what you preach.

rationalfan
08-16-2013, 01:27 PM
a revealing player's perspective on HGH by former Buff Christian Fauria.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/la-sp-farmer-nfl-hgh-20130815,0,4163302.column#axzz2c9rEzNUV