PDA

View Full Version : Camp Journal: Montee Ball on Game 1

Denver Native (Carol)
08-12-2013, 12:14 PM
Running through that tunnel Thursday night -- it felt great. That's what I was looking forward to. That's why we play the game. It's for the fans and obviously because we love it. You just love to run out of the tunnel with your teammates, because it's time to play some football.

For it being my first NFL game, I was a little nervous at first just because I know I've got high expectations this year and I've most definitely got to match those standards. But it felt good, though, to get the first few carries out of the way, because now I feel a lot more comfortable.

I do feel like it went well. Probably one of my runs I could've cut it up earlier, but we've all got room to improve. Especially playing running back, getting five carries, you need to get a feel for the game, get lathered up. But more carries will come.

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Camp-Journal-Montee-Ball-on-Game-1/47b6e2b8-19f2-4e85-8b40-9e2a50b55367

LTC Pain
08-12-2013, 01:20 PM
I understand M. Ball is a rookie and was running behind the 2nd string O-line versus the 49ers. But he needs to bring some frickin thunder against the Seahawks on Saturday. Or else I might think he and Moreno are battling for the #2 RB spot.

silkamilkamonico
08-12-2013, 03:24 PM
agreed. have been very unimpressed with ball.

wouldlike to see little more of that anderson kid too.

chazoe60
08-12-2013, 04:12 PM
Yes I can see how people could be unimpressed with Ball after 5 whole carries. :rolleyes:

powderaddict
08-12-2013, 04:16 PM
Yes I can see how people could be unimpressed with Ball after 5 whole carries. :rolleyes:

It's not like our Oline is depleted going against a stout and deep defense in SF or anything.

We've seen Ball's ceiling, we should probably cut him now to avoid further embarassment.

SR
08-12-2013, 04:34 PM
agreed. have been very unimpressed with ball.

wouldlike to see little more of that anderson kid too.

You've been unimpressed with a rookie who has all of an offseason worth of OTAs, training camp, and one preseason game while learning a new, complicated offense? Sounds legitimate.

silkamilkamonico
08-12-2013, 06:08 PM
Lord forbid anyone having any unpositive opinion about one of your beloved broncos after someone watching them in the scrimmage, a couple times at dove valley, and then the preseason game.

On the flip side, I guess I am shocked that there are so many high reviews about this practice player guy named Duke Ihenacho.

chazoe60
08-12-2013, 06:10 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

silkamilkamonico
08-12-2013, 06:12 PM
:coffee:

chazoe60
08-12-2013, 06:14 PM
:elefant:

G_Money
08-12-2013, 06:41 PM
SF and Seattle have two of the better and most talented Ds we'll see all year. I'd love to roll a healthy first team (with a different C) out there for a few and see how we do, but since that's not an option I just want to see Ball and the other backs make the right reads, take care of their blocking assignments, and catch anything thrown their way. Show you understand the offense, that's what I want.

And don't get hurt. Everything else in the pre-season is gravy. Oh, and I want more CJ. He should definitely get bumped up the depth chart a little bit, since we know what Moreno can do and we don't want him to get injured, and Lance Ball could use the wakeup call. CJ against the 2s would be a nice comparison while Hillman and Montee Ball get some more reps to increase their gameday feel for the offense. Hillman was mostly a 3rd down back last year, so if he's gonna be the #1 this year, I want him to feel good on first and second.

~G

TXBRONC
08-12-2013, 07:02 PM
Lord forbid anyone having any unpositive opinion about one of your beloved broncos after someone watching them in the scrimmage, a couple times at dove valley, and then the preseason game.

On the flip side, I guess I am shocked that there are so many high reviews about this practice player guy named Duke Ihenacho.

Silk it's not like they gave M. Ball ten or so carries he had all of five.

tomjonesrocks
08-12-2013, 07:17 PM
We went from Ball being the next TD to a complete bust in 5 carries.

Dapper Dan
08-12-2013, 07:59 PM

I can kind of see your point. I'm trying to stay more even since it's only the preseason. I've not really got an opinion on Ball or Anderson. How many times have we seen a guy struggle a little in practice or preseason and then break out. How many times have we seen a guy play well in preseason and then fade away. How's Webb, the QB from Minnesota doing?

Still, I think Duke is a little more than just hype, since he's getting so many 1st team reps. He's had a season to sit and learn, now I think he might be ready to plan. Or at least that's what I assume the staff is thinking. I don't put a lot of stock in a guy who plays well against 3rd and 4th stringers and never gets the playing time against the 1s and 2s. I usually think the staff sees something that I don't.

Dapper Dan
08-12-2013, 08:03 PM

Talk about a Ball buster. :drum:

BroncoWave
08-12-2013, 09:35 PM

So it's ok to be down on Ball because of his practices and one preseason game, but it's not ok to be high on Duke because of his practices and one preseason game? I just want to make sure I get where you're coming from here.

dogfish
08-12-2013, 10:33 PM
So it's ok to be down on Ball because of his practices and one preseason game, but it's not ok to be high on Duke because of his practices and one preseason game? I just want to make sure I get where you're coming from here.

you missed his point-- he's saying that if it's okay for everyone to judge nacho in such a positive light based on limited action, it's okay for him (silk) to form an initial opinion about ball based on similar criteria. . . ;)

Dapper Dan
08-12-2013, 10:35 PM
you missed his point-- he's saying that if it's okay for everyone to judge nacho in such a positive light based on limited action, it's okay for him (silk) to form an initial opinion about ball based on similar criteria. . . ;)

Damn. This dude acts just like BTB.

BroncoWave
08-12-2013, 10:37 PM

His post was unclear, so I just wanted to clarify. Your interpretation makes more sense though.

BroncoWave
08-12-2013, 10:39 PM
Damn. This dude acts just like BTB.

Heck no. That dude is the worst.

chazoe60
08-12-2013, 10:39 PM
You're right, that was Silk's point, but it's still a shitty point. One (Nacho) is being judged on good practice showings and quite a few very good plays against the 9ers including their first team the other is being judged by practice, which I haven't heard a lot of bad reports about BTW, and a grand total of 5 carries against and with 3rd stringers. There is a difference.

dogfish
08-12-2013, 10:43 PM
You're right, that was Silk's point, but it's still a shitty point. One (Nacho) is being judged on good practice showings and quite a few very good plays against the 9ers including their first team the other is being judged by practice, which I haven't heard a lot of bad reports about BTW, and a grand total of 5 carries against and with 3rd stringers. There is a difference.

tomato, tomahto. . . neither of em's played in a real game yet. . .

silkamilkamonico
08-12-2013, 10:56 PM
bust?

lol

aint nobody saying that.

G_Money
08-12-2013, 11:21 PM
tomato, tomahto. . . neither of em's played in a real game yet. . .

Since Duke has more of a shot of being a starter out of the the gate than Montee does, I'm glad to see Nacho perform like gangbusters with the 1s in admittedly just a couple of series. That's a good thing, and helps validate his placement WITH the 1s.

Montee is not with the 1s, and what little performance there was helped validate that too.

Just shows that the right guys are running with the first team and the right guys are backups - except for ManRam, that dude is awful. :lol:

~G

TXBRONC
08-13-2013, 06:36 AM

I don't recall if TD got any carries in his ever preseason game. I remember he blew up kick returner and that he thought about quitting just before his first preseason game.