PDA

View Full Version : Britton Colquitt signs new deal with Broncos; now among NFL's highest paid punters

Denver Native (Carol)
08-11-2013, 05:09 PM
The Broncos have reached an agreement with Britton Colquitt on a three-year contract extension that would carry the punter through the 2016 season.

Colquitt was to make a $1.323 million salary as a restricted free agent this year. The Broncos tacked on three more years.

The four-year deal overall makes Colquitt the NFL's fifth-highest punter.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23840645/britton-colquitt-signs-deal-broncos-punter-nfl

BroncoWave
08-11-2013, 05:34 PM
Cool.

SR
08-11-2013, 05:46 PM
Awesome

EMB6903
08-11-2013, 05:48 PM
Since colquitt has been in Denver I can't think of a punter id rather have. He is one of the more underrated players on this team as casual fans don't realize how important starting field position is. A great signing and I hope he lives up to it.

Jsteve01
08-11-2013, 06:02 PM
uh I remember how bad it was prior to him.

DenBronx
08-11-2013, 07:09 PM
Good signing.

Field position helps win games. We have a great punter and a great returner. Takes the ease off Manning and our defense.

Now Prater needs to get back to form by nailing every kick.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-11-2013, 07:09 PM
I am glad they are getting some things done now, as I believe Decker and DT are close to needing extensions also.

DenBronx
08-11-2013, 07:11 PM
I am glad they are getting some things done now, as I believe Decker and DT are close to needing extensions also.

DT, Decker and Miller. We need to do everything to keep these guys.

EMB6903
08-11-2013, 07:20 PM
Decker can go.

DT and VON need to remain in Denver for the rest of their career.

SR
08-11-2013, 07:23 PM

Miller has two years left on this rookie contract I believe. DT and Decker are in contract years.

TXBRONC
08-11-2013, 07:27 PM
He's earned. He's been amount the best punters in the League.

BroncoWave
08-11-2013, 07:58 PM

Eh, losing Decker wouldn't be the end of the world. I would make DT a much higher priority. You can replace a guy like Decker.

Traveler
08-11-2013, 08:22 PM
Miller has two years left on this rookie contract I believe. DT and Decker are in contract years.

Correction. DT's contract expires next season. Teams can sign 1st round draft choices to 5 years deals. Most everyone else signs for 4years, max. This season is Decker's contract year. If the front office is smart, they'd try to sign DT to an extension 1st, then negotiate with Decker.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-11-2013, 08:27 PM
:confused: Is BTB now BroncoWave?????

BroncoWave
08-11-2013, 08:29 PM
:confused: Is BTB now BroncoWave?????

Yep. Decided to go with a new name, felt like I needed some sort of fresh start on here.

LTC Pain
08-11-2013, 08:53 PM
Most excellent!

CrazyHorse
08-11-2013, 11:35 PM
He's good. His brother is better.

TXBRONC
08-12-2013, 05:54 AM
He's good. His brother is better.

I don't think his brother is better. I think both are amoung the leader in punting year in and year out.

Dapper Dan
08-12-2013, 07:01 AM
I don't think his brother is better. I think both are amoung the leader in punting year in out.

And Dustin gets a lot more practice. Aka, more punts per season.

Both have always been good. And you're right. Their stats vary, but both are toward the top pretty much every season.

TXBRONC
08-12-2013, 08:11 AM
And Dustin gets a lot more practice. Aka, more punts per season.

Both have always been good. And you're right. Their stats vary, but both are toward the top pretty much every season.

If I'm not mistaken Britton has been in the top five in net avg the last two years.

Their dad taught them well.

BroncoWave
08-12-2013, 08:12 AM
The lesson learned here is teach your kids to be a punter if you want them to play football. They can still make millions and not retire with a mushy brain.

TXBRONC
08-12-2013, 08:18 AM
The lesson learned here is teach your kids to be a punter if you want them to play football. They can still make millions and not retire with a mushy brain.

Todd Sauerbrun had a mushy brain of course his wasn't from to many hit to the head.

Dapper Dan
08-12-2013, 08:20 AM
Those guys obviously represent their colleges well.

TXBRONC
08-12-2013, 08:22 AM
Those guys obviously represent their colleges well.

Didn't they both go to Tennessee?

Dapper Dan
08-12-2013, 08:30 AM
Didn't they both go to Tennessee?

Both did, as well as their father and uncle, who both also played in the NFL.

TXBRONC
08-12-2013, 08:40 AM
Both did, as well as their father and uncle, who both also played in the NFL.

I knew their dad was a punter for the Steelers in the '70s in fact was the punter for the '78 and '79 championship teams. I don't they had an uncle that also was punter in the NFL.

Dapper Dan
08-12-2013, 08:42 AM
I knew their dad was a punter for the Steelers in the '70s in fact was the punter for the '78 and '79 championship teams. I don't they had an uncle that also was punter in the NFL.

He played for the Seahawks.

If there were a few more Colquitts and Clausens, I'd be happy.

powderaddict
08-12-2013, 09:29 AM
Good signing. He is one of the better punters, and I'm glad we locked him up.

As for the upcoming contracts that need to be worked, I rank them in order of importance:

Von
DT
Chris Harris Jr.
Decker

I'd love to keep all four, and I do really like Decker a lot. He's a great compliment to DT. That said, if we can only sign three, Decker has to be the odd man out. But I'd love to keep him as a Bronco.

BroncoWave
08-12-2013, 11:09 AM
Good signing. He is one of the better punters, and I'm glad we locked him up.

As for the upcoming contracts that need to be worked, I rank them in order of importance:

Von
DT
Chris Harris Jr.
Decker

I'd love to keep all four, and I do really like Decker a lot. He's a great compliment to DT. That said, if we can only sign three, Decker has to be the odd man out. But I'd love to keep him as a Bronco.

I might need to see Harris play that well for another year before I would give him a big deal, but otherwise I don't have any problem with that order. Von and DT are definitely 1 and 1A in order of importance.

CoachChaz
08-12-2013, 11:26 AM
I have an 18 year old that I'd like to see punt in the Denver air

camdisco24
08-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Great signing.

Remember when people thought Bowlen was low on money, or not will to pay up for big contracts? Recent signings and this put the nail in the coffin on that story.

powderaddict
08-12-2013, 12:23 PM
Great signing.

Remember when people thought Bowlen was low on money, or not wi? Recent signings and this put the nail in the coffin on that story.

Just cause you have money doesn't mean you need to blow it on bad signings.

Denver for the most part have signed those they thought were deserving to fair deals.

camdisco24
08-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Just cause you have money doesn't mean you need to blow it on bad signings.

Denver for the most part have signed those they thought were deserving to fair deals.

That's right. Especially since Elway came on board, I think the FO has been smart with who gets paid and who doesnt. (Other than the Dumervil debacle.)

LTC Pain
08-12-2013, 12:46 PM
More good stats by Colquitt, from the Broncos' website:

For players with a minimum of 100 punts, Colquitt is the franchise's career leader in gross (46.1) and net (39.5) punting average.

Last season Colquitt's 42.1 net punting average ranked third in the NFL, and even better was his average of just 6.0 yards per return, which ranked second in the league.

He has played in all 16 games in each of the past three seasons for the club.

DenBronx
08-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Decker can go.

Eh, losing Decker wouldn't be the end of the world. I would make DT a much higher priority. You can replace a guy like Decker.

I dont think its the end of the world as long as Welker remains. Decker was so solid last year with 13 TDs and really opened things up for DT and Manning. Its really hard to find a guy like Decker in the draft who can come in day 1 and make plays. I would rather lose Welker over Decker if thats what it came down to but my wet dream is to keep them all.

Maybe Manning takes a pay cut to make this happen if we do really well this season?? Wouldnt be out of the question. Not a restructure but an actual pay cut.

Looking back on it, losing Dumervil might have been the best thing for a cap space.

Broncolingus
08-12-2013, 05:33 PM
Yup, spending $$$ on keeping Colquitt was a good move...

Ziggy
08-12-2013, 05:44 PM
Let's get Holliday extended and have the best special teams core in the NFL for years to come.

DenBronx
08-12-2013, 05:52 PM
Great signing.

Remember when people thought Bowlen was low on money, or not will to pay up for big contracts? Recent signings and this put the nail in the coffin on that story.

Fans say all kind of ridiculous statements. Never bought that one at all.

Jsteve01
08-14-2013, 03:30 PM
Let's get Holliday extended and have the best special teams core in the NFL for years to come.wait dud we sign a new kicker? ;)

Ravage!!!
08-14-2013, 03:37 PM
Decker can go.

Decker is a good #2 and the bashing of him is ridiculous around here. I hope they do what it takes to KEEP Decker where he is at... tyvm.

Ravage!!!
08-14-2013, 03:39 PM
Maybe Manning takes a pay cut to make this happen if we do really well this season?? Wouldnt be out of the question. Not a restructure but an actual pay cut.

:lol:

Jsteve01
08-14-2013, 08:11 PM
Decker is a good #2 and the bashing of him is ridiculous around here. I hope they do what it takes to KEEP Decker where he is at... tyvm.I get what you're saying but john has amassed some nice young talent in a short period of time and we are going to have to start prioritizing. It sucks but I think in the grand scheme, Decker may end up getting the short end. I do again think that you're better off paying these guys earlier than later if you feel like they are in your long term plans. Another season like he had last year and Decker is going to command a bigger salary than he would at this point.

TXBRONC
08-15-2013, 08:29 AM
I get what you're saying but john has amassed some nice young talent in a short period of time and we are going to have to start prioritizing. It sucks but I think in the grand scheme, Decker may end up getting the short end. I do again think that you're better off paying these guys earlier than later if you feel like they are in your long term plans. Another season like he had last year and Decker is going to command a bigger salary than he would at this point.

Unproven Jsteve. We have no idea how King, Greg Orton, and several others will develop. Decker has more value than just as wide receiver. He can also return punts and kicks.

Great teams don't overpay for talent but also don't undervalue them like the Patriots do.

Dapper Dan
08-15-2013, 09:11 AM
Unproven Jsteve. We have no idea how King, Greg Orton, and several others will develop. Decker has more value than just as wide receiver. He can also return punts and kicks.

Great teams don't overpay for talent but also don't undervalue them like the Patriots do.

Maybe a correction. The way I read it is that when you get young talent all at once, all of their paydays will come all at once. We could afford all of them on their rookie salaries. I didn't read into the young talent like Orton or King replacing Decker. Or maybe I misread what you meant.

I really hope we can keep Decker. He's a really good player and is undervalued.

TXBRONC
08-15-2013, 09:44 AM
Maybe a correction. The way I read it is that when you get young talent all at once, all of their paydays will come all at once. We could afford all of them on their rookie salaries. I didn't read into the young talent like Orton or King replacing Decker. Or maybe I misread what you meant.

I really hope we can keep Decker. He's a really good player and is undervalued.

Jsteve said Decker "might get the short end of the stick" I was understanding that to mean that maybe the Broncs let him go. But the rest of post could mean what you're getting at.

Dapper Dan
08-15-2013, 10:17 AM
Jsteve said Decker "might get the short end of the stick" I was understanding that to mean that maybe the Broncs let him go. But the rest of post could mean what you're getting at.

Welker won't be here for too much longer. If we pet Decker walk I'd really hate to have to rely on one of those other guys as a #2 receiver.