PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Duke Ihenacho impresses at safety against 49ers

Denver Native (Carol)
08-09-2013, 01:24 PM
SAN FRANCISCO — Duke Ihenacho was asked to show up when it counted for the Broncos on Thursday night, and he didn't disappoint. The undrafted safety made his biggest argument for the starting job at strong safety with a dazzling display of ballhawking and playmaking.

Ihenacho finished with seven tackles (all solo), including one for a loss, and a forced fumble in about a quarter and a half of work.

"He tackled well. He did all of his job pretty well," Broncos coach John Fox said. "His pass defense, without looking at tape, I thought was good, as well as his run defense."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23826781/broncos-duke-ihenacho-impresses-at-safety-against-49ers

G_Money
08-09-2013, 01:36 PM
IIRC, Nacho's main digs were that he wasn't great in pass coverage and he would go for the spectacular hit in run defense instead of simply making the play (And therefore botching the play). But in camp and in the games his awareness on the field is good, his hands are good, he's making the right plays and showing himself as a sure tackler with a nose for the ball.

His next step is showing that he's not gonna bite on every play fake and get himself out of position, and that he can cover one on one. Everything else he's shown up for and been great in the early going. Have to say, I'm very impressed. Maybe it's just because recently we've had safeties who do the Chevy Chase pratfall trying to get to the couch with their afternoon sandwich, but he sure looks like he belongs in the starting 11 on D.

I'm curious to see if he can show he's shored up his college weaknesses. If so, the job is definitely his.

~G

Timmy!
08-09-2013, 02:13 PM
Nacho es bell grande!

mrbusinesz
08-09-2013, 02:16 PM
I was eager to see whst he would do in a live game situation and he did not disappoint. Hope he continues to grow and play well.

broncofaninfla
08-09-2013, 02:22 PM
May the best man win the job. Right now he seems to be the guy. Kinda hoping he wins just so I can yell "nacho" everytime he makes a play.

G_Money
08-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Between Nacho, Orange Julius and Porkchop, I can see myself getting hungry by halftime when things are going our way.

Chef Zambini
08-09-2013, 03:04 PM
he was putting together a highlight package during the first 2 posessions.

dogfish
08-09-2013, 03:13 PM
looks like our starting SS to me. . .

VonDoom
08-09-2013, 03:53 PM
I hate to believe in TC hype, but last night was the first time I've really gotten to see him play and he was mighty impressive. It seemed like every time I looked up, he was involved in the play in some way. I'm on the Nacho wagon.

BroncoJoe
08-09-2013, 03:54 PM
I'm eating nachos.

Dzone
08-09-2013, 04:09 PM
Taco Bell should sign him to a contract to promote sales of the Doritos Nacho Taco

LTC Pain
08-09-2013, 04:57 PM
Between Nacho, Orange Julius and Porkchop, I can see myself getting hungry by halftime when things are going our way.

Who is Porkchop???

MOtorboat
08-09-2013, 05:02 PM
Who is Porkchop???

Knighton.

powderaddict
08-09-2013, 05:03 PM
Kinghton is "Pot Roast".

G_Money
08-09-2013, 05:21 PM
Knighton has been both Pot Roast and Porkchop, as well as others. He says he doesn't like Pot Roast though, so until somebody comes up with a better one I figure running with porkchop can't be the worst thing.

What I really wanna call him, though, is good. Fingers crossed for that. Otherwise his nickname is gonna go to Dumbass or ****nuts real quick-like.

~G

dogfish
08-09-2013, 06:26 PM

"I'm always hungry by halftime."

- Sincerely, Slim

MOtorboat
08-09-2013, 06:26 PM
I know the knock on Ihenacho is the pass defense, and I guess I didn't pay attention. Did he make any mistakes? He seemed to be playing up around the line of scrimmage much of the time. Maybe that was by design, and :gasp: Moore was playing deep.

ShaneFalco
08-09-2013, 06:59 PM
he sure can hit, but i wasnt really watching coverage. I was watching Sylvesters push off the line. Ill try to watch him next game.

Jsteve01
08-09-2013, 07:51 PM
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/duke-ihenacho-working-denvers-no-1-defense

didn't realize until today he didn't ever play football until his junior year in high school. I'm pretty excited about this kid. And I love his personality.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-09-2013, 10:23 PM
he sure can hit, but i wasnt really watching coverage. I was watching Sylvesters push off the line. Ill try to watch him next game.

I couldn't watch the game and really wanted to see how Sly handled the tough interior of the 9ers. How did he do?

Army Bronco
08-09-2013, 11:29 PM
he sure can hit, but i wasnt really watching coverage. I was watching Sylvesters push off the line. Ill try to watch him next game. I think we may have a big star in Nacho and hopefully in Sly! I was more focused on Nacho cause I miss our old reputation for having great safeties.

TXBRONC
08-09-2013, 11:54 PM
I couldn't watch the game and really wanted to see how Sly handled the tough interior of the 9ers. How did he do?

It was mixed bag. I think he got some pressure a play or two I think his play was nondescript. Defensive linemen take awhile to develop and this is just the first step.

TXBRONC
08-09-2013, 11:57 PM
"I'm always hungry by halftime."

- Sincerely, Slim

I thought he was hungry by the kickoff.

EMB6903
08-10-2013, 12:09 AM
He was the most impressive defensive player on the field last night without a doubt.

ShaneFalco
08-10-2013, 01:59 PM

He actually was getting alot of push on 1st and 2nd downs, but on 3rd down, when we would rush the passer, they would have him hang back and contain, but he was kinda slow on the draws by Hunter, never really caught him running through the hole.

Jsteve01
08-10-2013, 04:25 PM
He actually was getting alot of push on 1st and 2nd downs, but on 3rd down, when we would rush the passer, they would have him hang back and contain, but he was kinda slow on the draws by Hunter, never really caught him running through the hole.

that doesn't bother me too much. He's still trying to catch up to the speed of the game. He power and athleticism were on display