PDA

View Full Version : Broncos win at San Francisco; Brock Osweiler shows offseason growth

Denver Native (Carol)
08-09-2013, 01:14 PM
SAN FRANCISCO — A strong thread through the history of a Peyton Manning-led team is his team has been awful whenever he hasn't been leading.

With the Indianapolis Colts, Jim Sorgi often spelled Manning in meaningless, season-ending games. Those fast-starting Colts always seemed to lose their share after their playoff berth was clinched.

When Manning missed the entire 2011 season because of a neck injury, Curtis Painter, among others, was so bad that the Colts wound up with the No. 1 pick in the 2012 draft.

But in Brock Osweiler, Manning may have something with the Broncos he never had in 14 years with the Colts — a quality backup.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23826477/broncos-win-at-san-francisco-brock-osweiler-shows

Northman
08-09-2013, 01:20 PM
Yea, i saw his stats from last night. Granted, against backups but still did pretty well so that is cool to see.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-09-2013, 01:41 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) -- That's what 18 months as No. 18's understudy looks like.

Brock Osweiler followed Peyton Manning's cameo appearance Thursday night with his most productive day in a Broncos uniform in Denver's 10-6 preseason win at San Francisco.

Although he didn't produce any points as the Broncos' battered offensive line had its hands full with the 49ers' relentless pressure, the second-year pro displayed his accuracy and athleticism in completing 13 of 18 passes for 105 yards.

rest - http://sports.yahoo.com/news/osweiler-shows-hes-learned-plenty-180422595--nfl.html

broncohead
08-09-2013, 01:48 PM
I was impressed with him last night even though he faced pressure the whole time he was in

mrbusinesz
08-09-2013, 02:17 PM
If he is the future of this franchise, then I think we are good to go.

MOtorboat
08-09-2013, 02:33 PM
Yea, i saw his stats from last night. Granted, against backups but still did pretty well so that is cool to see.

There were a lot of starters in there for his first two drives.

broncohead
08-09-2013, 02:35 PM
Did he get to throw to decker, welker, or dt?

MOtorboat
08-09-2013, 02:37 PM

No, Denver put in the second team offense. But I think San Fran left their starters out.

Northman
08-09-2013, 02:52 PM
There were a lot of starters in there for his first two drives.

Even better. I had to go to bed after the first Bronco series so i didnt get to hear the game after that.

Chef Zambini
08-09-2013, 03:00 PM
I too was impressed with his mobility and decision making.
But i feel much better about brock than i did after last season. I imagine we will see more of him in the next 3 pre-season games, and then i hope he is attached to a clip-board.

Bugs Baloney
08-09-2013, 03:01 PM
Albiet Dysert was facing scrubs in the 4th quarter. He looked decent as well. Seems a bit more pure to
me than Oz, but only time will tell....

sneakers
08-09-2013, 03:19 PM
rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23826477/broncos-win-at-san-francisco-brock-osweiler-shows

GROWTH? he is getting taller???????????

Northman
08-09-2013, 03:24 PM
I too was impressed with his mobility and decision making.
But i feel much better about brock than i did after last season. I imagine we will see more of him in the next 3 pre-season games, and then i hope he is attached to a clip-board.

See, i told you to give it some time.

DenBronx
08-09-2013, 04:01 PM
We will get to see him more in these next few games.

Look at it this way, he's still better than any QB on the Chiefs or raiders rosters and has better weapons than Rivers. If Manning goes down I think we can still win the division.

And North.....the game started at 9pm yet you went to bed after only two series??? You are a lightweight. lol

ShaneFalco
08-09-2013, 05:18 PM
guess i was the only person who was un impressed.

broncohead
08-09-2013, 05:36 PM

What was impressive to me is that he didn't play with any of our top 3 WRs and still avoided pressure, threw the ball away instead of taking a loss/sack, and still completed a good portion of his throws. Our OL was terrible while he was in. Also someone said that he faced the 49ers 1st D for a series or 2 which is comforting to know

MOtorboat
08-09-2013, 05:39 PM

Right. You'd probably like to see him start off 0-6, instead of 6-6...

MOtorboat
08-09-2013, 05:39 PM
What was impressive to me is that he didn't play with any of our top 3 WRs and still avoided pressure, threw the ball away instead of taking a loss/sack, and still completed a good portion of his throws. Our OL was terrible while he was in. Also someone said that he faced the 49ers 1st D for a series or 2 which is comforting to know

He had better pocket presence than I thought, but I thought he got caught rushing himself in the pocket a few times later in the game when he still had time.

nevcraw
08-09-2013, 05:42 PM
I'm not saying A a ron Rogers 2.0 but 3-4 years behind Manning and he can certainly be a legit upper tier QB.
Disclaimer: If sucks it up next week I may delete this post.

broncohead
08-09-2013, 05:47 PM
He had better pocket presence than I thought, but I thought he got caught rushing himself in the pocket a few times later in the game when he still had time.

I agree. I think he is to quick to tuck the ball and run and he's gotta realize he's not a running QB and should be looking for an open reciever

silkamilkamonico
08-09-2013, 05:52 PM
IMO the tucking and running is just a result of not trusting the oline. They've been getting beat up all camp and even moreso against SF. Pretty typical of a young QB regardless of draft position.

MOtorboat
08-09-2013, 05:54 PM
The pistol bootleg they ran on his second drive, where he was running left and coming across his body and had a completion, was impressive. I didn't think he was athletic enough to do that.

broncohead
08-09-2013, 05:57 PM
I would like to see him with our starters. He made smart decisions and threw the safe throws. I'd like to see his deep ball/accuracy

Jsteve01
08-09-2013, 08:06 PM
The pistol bootleg they ran on his second drive, where he was running left and coming across his body and had a completion, was impressive. I didn't think he was athletic enough to do that.

completely underrated athleticism. At this point it's the only comparison to Aaron Rodgers I feel comfortbable making. you saw the ability on display last night. People forget he was a two sport star in Montana and was recruited to play bball at Gonzaga.

TXBRONC
08-09-2013, 08:28 PM

IIRC they were out when Manning went out.

TXBRONC
08-09-2013, 08:31 PM

True but the offensive line that was in their with him wasn't giving him much protection.

TXBRONC
08-09-2013, 08:36 PM
One of the articles mentioned here said his work didn't produce any points but that was only because Fox decided to go for it on 4th down rather kick the field goal. I'm not criticizing Fox but that's why he did't get any points out of his work.

MOtorboat
08-09-2013, 08:37 PM
One of the articles mentioned here said his work didn't produce any points but that was only because Fox decided to go for it on 4th down rather kick the field goal. I'm not criticizing Fox but that's why he did't get any points out of his work.

Points weren't really important. He had a decent game. He needs to get better, but he's improved immensely since last year.

TXBRONC
08-09-2013, 08:44 PM
I'm not saying A a ron Rogers 2.0 but 3-4 years behind Manning and he can certainly be a legit upper tier QB.

You won't have to delete post because he's going to be just fine.

dogfish
08-09-2013, 08:46 PM

too late-- the NSA has already recorded it in your file. . .

TXBRONC
08-09-2013, 08:58 PM

Yep you are and I don't think it surprises anyone.

Northman
08-09-2013, 09:05 PM
And North.....the game started at 9pm yet you went to bed after only two series??? You are a lightweight. lol

You aint lying. I need my beauty rest, i cant hang like i used too. Although i did manage to stay awake last weekend until 1am while my wife and friends stayed up till 5am. That was a strong showing from me in a while. lol

DenBronx
08-09-2013, 09:40 PM

I was unimpressed with our OL.

DenBronx
08-09-2013, 09:42 PM

You aint lying. I need my beauty rest, i cant hang like i used too. Although i did manage to stay awake last weekend until 1am while my wife and friends stayed up till 5am. That was a strong showing from me in a while. lol

Too much hordes of chaos.

You will be back to form for regular season.

dogfish
08-09-2013, 10:02 PM
You aint lying. I need my beauty rest

too bad you can't sleep 23 hours a day. . . :lol:

SR
08-09-2013, 10:02 PM
too bad you can't sleep 23 hours a day. . . :lol:

I did once

Chef Zambini
08-09-2013, 11:21 PM
The pistol bootleg they ran on his second drive, where he was running left and coming across his body and had a completion, was impressive. I didn't think he was athletic enough to do that.I liked that play too, running left and throwing on the run as a right hander, and he seemed very poised early. I think his trust in the protection did dwindle when they started shuffling in new O linemen.but silks comments ring true.

ShaneFalco
08-10-2013, 01:18 PM

I was unimpressed with our OL.
ya that was definitly part of it, i did want to see one of our backups lead the team down the field for more then a fg. Thats what i was unimpressed with, but is hard with a shotty o line.

TXBRONC
08-10-2013, 02:08 PM
ya that was definitly part of it, i did want to see one of our backups lead the team down the field for more then a fg. Thats what i was unimpressed with, but is hard with a shotty o line.

As is it was pointed out earlier it's not points that matter the most in preseason it's the work they get in that is most important. Osweiler took the Broncos from their own 88 yards down on his last drive of the night. To me that's impressive and the only reason it didn't result in points is because Fox went for it on fourth down.

The game where it matters to score is the 3rd preseason game because that's treated most like a regular season game.

ShaneFalco
08-10-2013, 02:17 PM
The game where it matters to score is the 3rd preseason game because that's treated most like a regular season game.
very true

Simple Jaded
08-12-2013, 08:35 PM

Good thing he doesn't play for the Rams.