PDA

View Full Version : No more Mile High Salute

jhns
08-06-2013, 01:10 PM
This may be old news as I don't see anything about it on nfl.com or espn. Either way, it's news to me. Or maybe its all a lie.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-cut-down-even-further-celebrations-because-touchdowns-154343028.html

As PFT notes, a variety of celebratory acts are no longer permissible and will result in a penalty: “These acts include but are not limited to: sack dances; home run swing; incredible hulk; spiking the ball; throwing or shoving the ball; pointing; pointing the ball; verbal taunting; military salute; standing over an opponent (prolonged and with provocation; or dancing."

MOtorboat
08-06-2013, 01:16 PM
Good grief.

MasterShake
08-06-2013, 01:21 PM
This may be old news as I don't see anything about it on nfl.com or espn. Either way, it's news to me. Or maybe its all a lie.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-cut-down-even-further-celebrations-because-touchdowns-154343028.html

As PFT notes, a variety of celebratory acts are no longer permissible and will result in a penalty: “These acts include but are not limited to: sack dances; home run swing; incredible hulk; spiking the ball; throwing or shoving the ball; pointing; pointing the ball; verbal taunting; military salute; standing over an opponent (prolonged and with provocation; or dancing."

Just clicked on the link to read it, still have a hard time believing that its true. I like how the writer suggested someone do all the celebration dances and end with the salute just to get an awesome 15 yard penalty.

No spiking? C'mon! Thats like tha most fundamental rule of scoring a TD. You need to be able to at least spike it...

FanInAZ
08-06-2013, 01:22 PM
:tsk:

They did this same over kill rule in the '80s. The fans didn't like it then, and they’re not going to like it now. I understand that they want prohibit acts of poor sportsmanship, such as taunting your opponents and opposing fans, but there's a difference between this and celebrating with your teammates and fans.

Dapper Dan
08-06-2013, 01:28 PM
If people don't like being taunted they should start winning.

MOtorboat
08-06-2013, 01:31 PM
Next:

NFL bans hi-five, helmet and butt pats and generally looking at one another.

Army Bronco
08-06-2013, 01:31 PM

Just clicked on the link to read it, still have a hard time believing that its true. I like how the writer suggested someone do all the celebration dances and end with the salute just to get an awesome 15 yard penalty.

No spiking? C'mon! Thats like tha most fundamental rule of scoring a TD. You need to be able to at least spike it... Next they will not allow a player to be happy after a play. If a player even smiles its an unsportsman like penalty. 15 yarder.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-06-2013, 01:42 PM
It’s become commonplace in the NFL for players who make a big play to spin the ball on the ground in celebration. But this year, players are being warned that there’s a fine line between celebrating and taunting — and if they cross that line, it’s a 15-yard penalty.

Reports today from members of the media at Vikings camp and Panthers camp indicate that referees working training camps are warning players that they’ll be penalized if they taunt opponents by spinning the ball.

This is not a new rule: The 2012 official playing rules listed examples of prohibited acts that will result in unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, saying, “These acts include but are not limited to: sack dances; home run swing; incredible hulk; spiking the ball; throwing or shoving the ball; pointing; pointing the ball; verbal taunting; military salute; standing over an opponent (prolonged and with provocation; or dancing.”

rest - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/05/officials-warn-players-spinning-the-ball-can-result-in-a-penalty/

Ziggy
08-06-2013, 01:44 PM
Going back to being the No Fun League. That's ridiculous. Some of the funnest things to watch in the NFL were the TD celebrations in the 80's.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-06-2013, 01:47 PM
I hope the league remembers the fans are the ones the game appeals to. I mean who in the world gets offended by spinning the ball? How about a salute? I can understand moon walking the entire width of the end zone followed by a 3 minute scripted dance, but this is ridiculous.

It was fine when they penalized players for excessive celebration, but not letting them celebrate at all is absurd. It's a classic example of a small minority of people ( and I emphasize small) making a decision that goes against the vast majority.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-06-2013, 01:53 PM
Vic was talking about no more spinning of the ball a while back, and stated they should just ban touchdowns, as that is what causes celebrations.

G_Money
08-06-2013, 02:05 PM
I would tell my team to take that penalty every time. "You celebrate. Then we'll kick off, and because of the penalty they'll get to run it back, and we'll kill em. Did I mention we're a Mile High so they're still gonna be getting the ball at the 5? The rule will get changed the first time somebody gets hurt running back a kick enabled by the "excess celebration" penalty anyway. Practice your kick coverage, boys, it's clobberin' time."

AKA, the Jimmy Johnson way at Miami. You do what you do, and we'll win.

~G

BroncoWave
08-06-2013, 02:08 PM
This is insane. Normally I don't have a problem with NFL rule changes if they make the game safer or improve the quality of the game, but I don't really see how this rule does that. Expecting players not to show emotion is just impossible, and it makes the game less entertaining.

Dzone
08-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Unbelievable. This is nuts. I hope the fans will revolt and complain.
This is what happens when you get a room full of rich owners with nothing better to do than to think up new rules to exert more control.

BroncoWave
08-06-2013, 02:13 PM
It's amazing how out of touch the NFL is with what entertains their fans. I get a rule change that compromises entertainment value for safety (like banning helmet to helmet hits), but I would really like to know their reasoning here.

The Glue Factory
08-06-2013, 02:17 PM
Unbelievable. This is nuts. I hope the fans will revolt and complain.
This is what happens when you get a room full of rich owners with nothing better to do than to think up new rules to exert more control.

Sounds kinda like what's going on in DC.

/end threadjack.
:behindsofa:

G_Money
08-06-2013, 02:22 PM
I hate subjective rules that can be called at the worst possible times and influence the outcome of the game. Yes, you can avoid this one by never getting excited on the field or doing any kind of celebrating whatsoever. Woe to the team that is messing up the point spread late in a game, though - celebration penalty for pointing (at God, or Buddha, or his mom) coming up...

~G

BroncoWave
08-06-2013, 02:24 PM
I hate subjective rules that can be called at the worst possible times and influence the outcome of the game. Yes, you can avoid this one by never getting excited on the field or doing any kind of celebrating whatsoever. Woe to the team that is messing up the point spread late in a game, though - celebration penalty for pointing (at God, or Buddha, or his mom) coming up...

~G

Hell, for all we know they could call a flag for pumping your fist or high-fiving a teammate.

G_Money
08-06-2013, 02:30 PM
I'm waiting for a critical 1st down to come back because a guy makes a first down signal, or a TD is celebrated with a group hug. That's exactly what I look forward to in football games, more flags for ticky-tack bullshit. :tsk:

~G

BroncoWave
08-06-2013, 02:32 PM
That article also said they banned sack dances. Our coaches REALLY need to talk to Von about that. Granted that rule is also ridiculous. If a guy gets a big third down sack to end the series, I guess he is not supposed to be happy about that at all.

slim
08-06-2013, 02:33 PM
How reliable is this information?

Seems made up to me.

MOtorboat
08-06-2013, 02:34 PM
PFT's article said the rules were in place before last season but not enforced.

BroncoWave
08-06-2013, 02:36 PM

That makes sense given the ref lockout. They didn't have the offseason to really prepare teams for this rule change in camp like they are apparently doing now.

slim
08-06-2013, 02:36 PM

Well that seems legit.

G_Money
08-06-2013, 02:40 PM
From Deadspin:

http://deadspin.com/the-nfl-will-crack-down-on-touchdown-celebrations-agai-1039711146

(Update: An NFL spokesperson writes to let us know that the crackdown on spinning won't apply to touchdown celebrations, but only as the team is moving the ball down the field.)

So you are allowed to spin the ball for a touchdown celebration, just don't spike it. Do not flex after a sack, do not salute the crowd... keep it in your pants.

Now, I'm not the biggest fan of dancing after tacking a runner for a 7 yard gain (*cough* Nate Webster *cough*) but when you stuff a guy on 4th down and you celebrate, c'mon. CELEBRATE. And don't get flagged for it. Touchdowns aren't the only momentum turners in the game, y'know.

Guess there's no celebrating sacks, INTs, fumble recoveries, first downs, or touchdowns. Unless you can be respectful. Celebrate by shaking the other guy's hand and helping him up. But don't pat him on the butt, that might be taunting.

~G

BroncoWave
08-06-2013, 02:41 PM
It could be worse I guess. In college football they take the TD away if the player celebrates before getting into the endzone.

Northman
08-06-2013, 02:57 PM
:tsk:

They did this same over kill rule in the '80s. The fans didn't like it then, and they’re not going to like it now. I understand that they want prohibit acts of poor sportsmanship, such as taunting your opponents and opposing fans, but there's a difference between this and celebrating with your teammates and fans.

Exactly.

Makes me wonder if they would ban the Lambeau leap, thats pretty excessive going by their standards.

MOtorboat
08-06-2013, 02:59 PM
That makes sense given the ref lockout. They didn't have the offseason to really prepare teams for this rule change in camp like they are apparently doing now.

Happened to the LSU punter on a fake punt. He pumped his fist at the three yard line. They took away the touchdown.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-06-2013, 03:01 PM
Exactly.

Makes me wonder if they would ban the Lambeau leap, thats pretty excessive going by their standards.

Exactly - however, every time they put in a new rule for excessive celebration, they never touch the Lambeau leap

Ravage!!!
08-06-2013, 03:04 PM

Uh oh.. no pointing? Doesn't Rodgers point to the sky every time he throws a TD pass? Doesn't nearly every kicker point to the sky after every made FG? What counts as "pointing?" Only if you point in a direction the NFL doesn't like?

This does remind me of the days back when they started the other football league, and they had Doug Flutie and Jim Kelly advertising by spiking footballs on television. Like many have said, what is the point? What is the gain for the NFL? Do they REALLY think that spiking is giving a bad image to the league?

MOtorboat
08-06-2013, 03:28 PM
Uh oh.. no pointing? Doesn't Rodgers point to the sky every time he throws a TD pass? Doesn't nearly every kicker point to the sky after every made FG? What counts as "pointing?" Only if you point in a direction the NFL doesn't like?

This does remind me of the days back when they started the other football league, and they had Doug Flutie and Jim Kelly advertising by spiking footballs on television. Like many have said, what is the point? What is the gain for the NFL? Do they REALLY think that spiking is giving a bad image to the league?

Actually, and I'm not joking, gestures towards the sky might have been banned. Or maybe that was college.

jhns
08-06-2013, 03:30 PM
rest - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/05/officials-warn-players-spinning-the-ball-can-result-in-a-penalty/

I didn't read their source(this PFT article) when I posted this. The PFT article makes it sound like they are just going after spinning the ball. I also didn't realize these rules are a year old. Either way, if they are starting to enforce the year old rules now, it's only a matter of time until all of those start getting enforced. Or we will have a tuck rule situation where a ref decides to enforce one of these rules in a big game even though no other ref has ever thrown a flag for them. It's kind of dumb that these rules are in the NFL rule book.

NightTrainLayne
08-06-2013, 04:14 PM
I would tell my team to take that penalty every time. "You celebrate. Then we'll kick off, and because of the penalty they'll get to run it back, and we'll kill em. Did I mention we're a Mile High so they're still gonna be getting the ball at the 5? The rule will get changed the first time somebody gets hurt running back a kick enabled by the "excess celebration" penalty anyway. Practice your kick coverage, boys, it's clobberin' time."

AKA, the Jimmy Johnson way at Miami. You do what you do, and we'll win.

~G

Except they'll probably allow enforcement of the penalty after the result of the kickoff. I think that's what they do now. :killjoys:

G_Money
08-06-2013, 05:00 PM
http://www.shirtevolution.com/prodimages/urgetokill.png

ShaneFalco
08-06-2013, 05:32 PM
They took away the bob n weave from my lambs in 2000. FEEEL MY PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIN

mrbusinesz
08-06-2013, 06:15 PM
This is just getting ridiculous.

OrangeHoof
08-06-2013, 06:35 PM
Exactly.

I would. The Mile High Salute takes three seconds. The Lambeau Leap takes an entire commercial break. That was my problem with some of the celebrations in the 80s - too long. Do it and be done with it.

weazel
08-06-2013, 06:38 PM
LMAO this league gets more ridiculous by the day

CrazyHorse
08-06-2013, 06:41 PM
Don't worry guys. Tebowing is still allowed.

OrangeHoof
08-06-2013, 07:05 PM
If they are going to have an excessive celebration penalty, I just want the officials to have to do a sign for it like having one hand behind the head, the other pointing at a 45-degree angle and gyrating.

MasterShake
08-06-2013, 10:21 PM
South Park once again predicts the future with the wussification of the NFL: (NSFW as they drop the F-Bomb in the video! Don't click if easily offended... or at work.)

CpV852GDbGQ

DenBronx
08-06-2013, 11:41 PM
All of these rules and changes have really took the fun and toughness out of this great American pastime. One of my friends who was a huge football fan really just doesnt want to watch football anymore....and I totally understand.

The RBs leading with their helmet is what really got to me this year. How is a RB supposed to protect himself??

Really, the NFL should just have every player sign a no sue clause or some type of injury waiver. Something to protect the NFL from getting sued or they don't get to play at all.

The NFL seems to respond to money and how they can earn the most of it. If fans banned football for one year that is all it would take for them to listen to us. Until WE ban them they will continue all of these bogus changes and rules.

Pudge
08-06-2013, 11:48 PM
Nobody's going to quit watching football for a year just to make a point. I agree with what your saying, but the nfl has us held captive

Poet
08-07-2013, 12:06 AM
Whoever decided that these rules are a good thing should be tarred and feathered.

It's a ******* game. No matter how much money you give these guys, no matter how expensive their suits and ties are, no matter how many classy and snobby events they attend, they still play football for a living. Celebrations are part of a game. I can understand someone not liking the Chad Johnson method of celebrating, but these rules are for old and boring people.

MOtorboat
08-07-2013, 12:09 AM
Don't worry guys. Tebowing is still allowed.

Banned.

Last year, actually. Can't go to a knee.

ShaneFalco
08-07-2013, 12:09 AM
i like how chad celebrated, he made it fun. TO with the Pom-Poms= ultimate classic.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/244/079/chad85_display_image.jpg?1275468956

Dapper Dan
08-07-2013, 12:16 AM
Whoever decided that these rules are a good thing should be tarred and feathered.

It's a ******* game. No matter how much money you give these guys, no matter how expensive their suits and ties are, no matter how many classy and snobby events they attend, they still play football for a living. Celebrations are part of a game. I can understand someone not liking the Chad Johnson method of celebrating, but these rules are for old and boring people.

It's America trying to be like the stuck up British. I guess Goodell IS trying to get a team over there.

Poet
08-07-2013, 12:42 AM
It's America trying to be like the stuck up British. I guess Goodell IS trying to get a team over there.

I bet Dreadnought loves this rule.

Magnificent Seven
08-07-2013, 01:28 AM
Clarification: "Mile High Salute" Was Not Completely Banned By the NFL

There's been a mild outrage surrounding the NFL's modified celebrating rules that hit the news on Tuesday. In regards to the Denver Broncos, some seemingly misinterpreted the new rules as completely banning the "Mile High Salute," which was popularized by running back Terrell Davis in the late 1990s.

The league on Monday rolled out a host of new rules that included restrictions for celebrations. As PFT pointed out, the NFL has been stressing the fine line between celebrating and taunting, with the latter resulting in a 15-yard penalty.

To be clear, the "Mile High Salute" will not be penalized this season—unless it is done in a taunting manner.

In the NFL rule book, Rule 12, Section 3, Article 1, Note 3 states the following:

Violations of (b) will be penalized if any of the acts are committed directly at an opponent. These acts include but are not limited to: sack dances; home run swing; incredible hulk; spiking the ball; spinning the ball; throwing or shoving the ball; pointing; pointing the ball; verbal taunting; military salute; standing over an opponent (prolonged and with provocation); or dancing. (Emphasis added.)

This rule clearly states that players will be penalized for committing an act against an opposing player. When Broncos players have historically performed the salute, they have done it directed to the fans, not in a taunting manner.

This all is open to interpretation, but if I am reading the rule correctly, it sounds like the "Mile High Salute" will still be permitted this season, as long as it is not done directly at a opposing player/team.

http://www.jonheath.net/2013/08/clarification-mile-high-salute-was-not.html

Dapper Dan
08-07-2013, 03:04 AM
Sounds like it's ref's discretion. If he thinks it's taunting an opponent it'll be a penalty. Guys better make sure they're not within 10 yards of an opponent and not facing any opponents. I guess the crowd leap stays sacred. But wait. What if an opponents fan is in that section. Is it taunting? What if someone leaps into the crowd while playing the Packers?

MasterShake
08-07-2013, 07:53 AM
Sounds like it's ref's discretion. If he thinks it's taunting an opponent it'll be a penalty. Guys better make sure they're not within 10 yards of an opponent and not facing any opponents. I guess the crowd leap stays sacred. But wait. What if an opponents fan is in that section. Is it taunting? What if someone leaps into the crowd while playing the Packers?

Just to be safe players should remove the helmet of the person they just sacked, carry it 10 yards away, then teabag it no more than 3 times. Promptly return the helmet with a handshake and then go back to the sideline.

Dreadnought
08-07-2013, 07:56 AM
I bet Dreadnought loves this rule.

:rockon:

Mike
08-07-2013, 08:16 AM
Glad I got a chance to witness football when it was a fun sport. Goodell is killing it by degrees.

Buff
08-07-2013, 09:13 AM
Why do they keep implementing rules that nobody wants? Player safety is one thing - the celebration stuff is just a bunch of stuffy old dudes trying to decide what's right for everyone.

Dapper Dan
08-07-2013, 09:15 AM
We should stop keeping score. Give everyone a miniature Lombardi trophy. We don't want anyone to get upset.

BroncoWave
08-07-2013, 09:31 AM
Happened to the LSU punter on a fake punt. He pumped his fist at the three yard line. They took away the touchdown.

I remember that play pretty well. Was a great example of how horrible that rule is. That's the only TD that guy will ever score in his life most likely, and it gets taken back because he gets a little excited right before crossing the goal line. I pray the NFL never adopts that rule.

OrangeHoof
08-07-2013, 09:59 AM
Why do they keep implementing rules that nobody wants? Player safety is one thing - the celebration stuff is just a bunch of stuffy old dudes trying to decide what's right for everyone.

Because they don't want an all-out brawl which is what can happen when there is no policing and one team feels like they are being disrespected.

Silly and overreacting? Yes. But I understand their fears. Wasn't there a near-riot at a Raiders-49ers game last year and it was just an exhibition game? Taunting tends to incite such things.

What I don't understand is that some of the things on the list are not directed against the opposing team or their fans but are just "ceremonies" like the salute, a dance, a home run swing, a spike, etc. If you don't want the opponents to do that stuff, keep them out of your end zone.

If they want to penalize "taunting" then just call it that.

Joel
08-07-2013, 11:07 AM
Right, because players of Britains most popular game don't regularly rip off their jersey and wave it over their head during victory laps down the middle of the field when they score. My wife says one of the local guys was famous for FLIPS down the middle of the field after scoring; that would probably draw a lifetime ban from Goodell. What say we skip the racial prejudice and maintain our focus on the real villian? ;)

I agree with OrangeHoof: Sincere concerns about taunting should address TAUNTING, not CELEBRATING. Yet again the NFL misses the point, just as when it decided banning blows to the head would end intentional injury, as if dirty players wouldn't just switch to kneecapping opponents once headhunting was banned. Next the NFL will probably end its DUI problem by banning the obvious cause: Cars. :rolleyes: Drunken bus driving will, of course, remain perfectly fine. :) Or maybe they'll ban booze, and only tolerate team personnel driving on crystal meth, heroin, etc. ;)

If taunting, safety or anything else is an issue the league should address the PROBLEM—directly—and stop trying to have it both ways by treating the symptom while ignoring the disease. "Sending a message" they don't really mean, in a transparent and hopeless appeal to non-fans (at the expense of current fans and players,) has gotten VERY tiresome.

LTC Pain
08-07-2013, 11:28 AM

"Stuffy old dudes"??? Guess I'm out of touch with reality. Where's the emoticon of a Bronco fan with a cane and gray beard???

Buff
08-07-2013, 11:38 AM
"Stuffy old dudes"??? Guess I'm out of touch with reality. Where's the emoticon of a Bronco fan with a cane and gray beard???

Please state your age for the record.

LTC Pain
08-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Please state your age for the record.

You better show some respect or I'm going to sic my wheelchair pusher on you :rolleyes:

MasterShake
08-07-2013, 12:46 PM

:TopScribe:

DAMN! Its not working...

Denver Native (Carol)
08-07-2013, 04:33 PM
Yesterday came news that NFL officials were warning players that the league would be cracking down on celebrations that included sack dances, spiking the ball, spinning the ball, military salutes or dancing.

However, per the NFL’s player policy guidelines, those celebrations would only be penalized if they were directed at an opponent. If that were the case, it would be a 15-yard penalty.

Broncos fans are used to seeing mile-high salutes and sack dances from Von Miller. The mile-high salute celebration is directed towards the fans, and therefore would not be subject to penalty. As long as Miller’s dances aren’t done in a way that officials deem as taunting an opponent, those would be allowed as well.

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/nfl-celebration-penalty-changes-explained/

Joel
08-07-2013, 11:35 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/nfl-celebration-penalty-changes-explained/
That clarification is all well, but 1) spiking the ball at an opponent was already a penalty, 2) it's unclear how spinning the ball "at" an opponent is even possible and 3) why speak of "celebrations" and not "taunting" if the latter is all the league will target? If they mean players will no longer be allowed to do our quarterbacks signature move over his body after sacking him, the NFL is about two years late.

Dapper Dan
08-08-2013, 02:29 AM
Right, because players of Britains most popular game don't regularly rip off their jersey and wave it over their head during victory laps down the middle of the field when they score. My wife says one of the local guys was famous for FLIPS down the middle of the field after scoring; that would probably draw a lifetime ban from Goodell. What say we skip the racial prejudice and maintain our focus on the real villian? ;)

I'm sorry for offending your people.

Joel
08-08-2013, 11:23 AM
I'm sorry for offending your people.
You didn't offend my people (though I can't speak for how our British Forums members took it,) you shamed our fellow Americans. But that's beside the point: Your statement was factually incorrect. It's not like every sport in Britain is played like tennis (which I concede maintains an oft annoying aristocratic restraint, especially at Wimbledon; it's only been about a decade since they stopped making all the players wear white.) Ever heard of soccer hooligans? The guys who routinely turn soccer matches into the start of "The Last Boy Scout"? If people must play the tedious jingoistic "my country can beat up your country" game, they should at least get their facts straight or they won't embarrass any country save their own.

This is just Goodell being Goodell, though in fairness he's never been anything but a paid stooge for the owners, which is where we should direct our complaints (much good may it do.)

Dapper Dan
08-08-2013, 11:25 AM
You didn't offend my people (though I can't speak for how our British Forums members took it,) you shamed our fellow Americans. But that's beside the point: Your statement was factually incorrect. It's not like every sport in Britain is played like tennis (which I concede maintains an oft annoying aristocratic restraint, especially at Wimbledon; it's only been about a decade since they stopped making all the players wear white.) Ever heard of soccer hooligans? The guys who routinely turn soccer matches into the start of "The Last Boy Scout"?

This is just Goodell being Goodell, though in fairness he's never been anything but a paid stooge for the owners, which is where we should direct our complaints (much good may it do.)

Can you dumb it down for me? I really don't understand.

Joel
08-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Can you dumb it down for me? I really don't understand.
Yes: You don't know what the Hell you're talking about, so you don't sound like a racist: You sound like a STUPID racist (if that's not redundant.) In that sense, yes, continually having to re-convince my neighbors, friends and family Americans aren't all LOUDLY ignorant racists does frequently bother me. If you want to embarrass yourself that's your right, but please don't drag our country down with you.

Celebrations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wK_v9koL3Y http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFrMSzoLXIU

Basic but extreme rowdiness seldom seen in the NFL except at Raiders, Eagles and Browns home games: http://www.youtube.com/channel/HCBR4cu-8IU2M

And that's just what ten seconds of googling turned up on YouTube.

Mike
08-08-2013, 11:59 AM
Take your meds dude.

Joel
08-08-2013, 12:20 PM
Take your meds dude.
Hey, I'm not the one saying NFL rules changes are some weird foreign espionage, and ignoring facts to do it. Again, I'm not British, but the Broncos Forums DO have British members: Is calling each of them—as a group—"stuck up" consistent with the CoC? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLmuF-0P4tk

Mike
08-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Hey, I'm not the one saying NFL rules changes are some weird foreign espionage, and ignoring facts to do it. Again, I'm not British, but the Broncos Forums DO have British members: Is calling each of them—as a group—"stuck up" consistent with the CoC? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLmuF-0P4tk

It isn't a violation of any sort.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-08-2013, 12:37 PM
WELL - OK NOW - back on topic of thread - I for one am glad that the Broncos felt it necessary to post an explanation on their site, which explains that the NFL is NOT taking celebrations away by penalizing them, but it would only be a penalty if directed at a player on the opposite team.

BroncoWave
08-08-2013, 12:42 PM
WELL - OK NOW - back on topic of thread - I for one am glad that the Broncos felt it necessary to post an explanation on their site, which explains that the NFL is NOT taking celebrations away by penalizing them, but it would only be a penalty if directed at a player on the opposite team.

I certainly feel much better about the rule now. I think taunting should be legal too, as these are pro athletes and they should just stop the other team if they don't want to be taunted, but I can at least understand the rule from a standpoint of preventing fights. Definitely glad to know you won't get flagged for saluting your own fans.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-08-2013, 12:48 PM
I certainly feel much better about the rule now. I think taunting should be legal too, as these are pro athletes and they should just stop the other team if they don't want to be taunted, but I can at least understand the rule from a standpoint of preventing fights. Definitely glad to know you won't get flagged for saluting your own fans.

I do not think that taunting should be legal, as taunting would result in fights, which would result in players getting kicked out of games - NO TAUNTING ALLOWED

Dapper Dan
08-08-2013, 12:53 PM
I do not think that taunting should be legal, as taunting would result in fights, which would result in players getting kicked out of games - NO TAUNTING ALLOWED

Trash talking can result in fighting. Simply blocking or tackling can result in fighting. The fighting begins usually when a player is embarrassed or frustrated. Then they start fighting. That's the fault of the person losing their temper and no one else's.

G_Money
08-08-2013, 01:15 PM

The no taunting thing is more to help high school and youth sports, keep those guys from taunting other kids and then getting shivved after a game. Trying to take some of those tensions out of football is fine with me. Celebrate with your teammates and fans though, sure. How many people think we're gonna see a REALLY questionable call for doing a sack dance in the direction of the QB or pointing a ball at someone this year?

At least they still recognize that spinning a ball in the endzone isn't a declaration of war and an attack on civilization as we know it.

We get at least one more year before we go down that path.

~G

jhns
08-08-2013, 01:20 PM
LOL @ racism against the British.

I like the explanation of it only being for taunting. The thing is, what brought this about was a specific warning for not spinning the ball on the ground. Like another poster said, how is that taunting? It doesn't really make sense that some of these acts are listed in a taunting rule.

Joel
08-08-2013, 01:35 PM
Like I say, we'll see. They announced several years ago spikes at opponents would be penalized, and always flag it even when players are clearly unaware an opponent is even present, so repeating it makes as much sense as announcing TDs are worth 6 points. I don't remember ever seeing a player salute an opponent after a big play, or spin a ball at one. If the league really means to crack down on taunting it should SPEAK of taunting, not "celebrations." That's a valid and valuable distinction we should maintain. People can and should enjoy themselves and their accomplishments without insulting others in the process.

Dapper Dan
08-08-2013, 01:40 PM
The no taunting thing is more to help high school and youth sports, keep those guys from taunting other kids and then getting shivved after a game. Trying to take some of those tensions out of football is fine with me. Celebrate with your teammates and fans though, sure. How many people think we're gonna see a REALLY questionable call for doing a sack dance in the direction of the QB or pointing a ball at someone this year?

At least they still recognize that spinning a ball in the endzone isn't a declaration of war and an attack on civilization as we know it.

~G

Yeah. I guess I can kind of accept that. If they're trying to be better role models for youth.

BroncoWave
08-08-2013, 01:56 PM

~G

I agree, the interpretation of the refs is still a big problem with this rule. What if a guy spikes a ball and it bounces weird and hits a player on the other team. Is that a flag? If Miller gets a sack, and directs a dance at our fans is that a flag? I would just hate for a ref's judgement on a celebration to swing a game.

Poet
08-08-2013, 04:09 PM
I feel like the no celebrating rules in sports is an indictment on how soft we are as a culture.

Dapper Dan
08-08-2013, 04:41 PM
I feel like the no celebrating rules in sports is an indictment on how soft we are as a culture.

True. I mean, look at those crazy Brits. Those hooligans celebrate like crazy.

Poet
08-08-2013, 05:09 PM
True. I mean, look at those crazy Brits. Those hooligans celebrate like crazy.

Who even likes British people, anyway? They're ******* boring.

sneakers
08-08-2013, 05:11 PM
http://i.imgur.com/0ckUh4c.jpg

Dapper Dan
08-08-2013, 05:17 PM
Who even likes British people, anyway? They're ******* boring.

You think this is boring?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phGVrd5Nf78

Poet
08-08-2013, 05:18 PM
I'd be impressed if they did that in Detroit.

Dapper Dan
08-08-2013, 05:22 PM
I'd be impressed if they did that in Detroit.

Why? There's no one there.

Poet
08-08-2013, 05:28 PM
Why? There's no one there.

I suppose I should I have been more specific.

I would have been more impressed if they did that in a Detroit Ghetto.

Simple Jaded
08-08-2013, 10:53 PM
Oh man! Does this mean Richard Simmons can't do his sweet little sack dances?