PDA

View Full Version : Tile, the world's largest lost and found.

Magnificent Seven
08-02-2013, 02:19 PM
Awesome! Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqDm3gZNZPM#at=107

http://www.thetileapp.com/?utm_expid=72811503-1.kv3zsnTHTKex2o_bewQnEQ.0&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thetileapp.com%2F%3F utm_source%3DFacebook%26utm_medium%3DCPC%26utm_con tent%3Dkeysadjw1

Thnikkaman
08-02-2013, 02:23 PM
That's cool. So is this:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mclear/nfc-ring

CoachChaz
08-02-2013, 03:09 PM
But...what if you lose your phone?

weazel
08-02-2013, 03:28 PM
But...what if you lose your phone?

glue one on it... its just a gps locator...
you log into their cloud and see your stuff on it... pretty simple really.

MasterShake
08-02-2013, 03:31 PM
Its a good idea, especially for stuff like remotes or car keys. On a laptop or something I'm not so sure. If you lose your laptop or high end electronics, you will find the tile right where whoever found your shit ripped off and laying on the ground. But hey, you get your tile back!

CoachChaz
08-02-2013, 03:53 PM
glue one on it... its just a gps locator...
you log into their cloud and see your stuff on it... pretty simple really.

But whatdo I use to locate my phone? I'm not one of those that feels compelled to have a phone AND a tablet that do the same damn things

Davii
08-02-2013, 03:58 PM
But whatdo I use to locate my phone? I'm not one of those that feels compelled to have a phone AND a tablet that do the same damn things

Probably use the web version of their page to get a location from your desktop computer

weazel
08-02-2013, 03:59 PM

log on to their cloud using any other device, it doesnt have to be yours. Use a friends, use a library, use a bestbuy. this isn't anything extraordinary, it's the same basic app as findmyiphone, findmyfriends, gopark, or any other gps oriented app.

BroncoJoe
08-02-2013, 04:01 PM
Its a good idea, especially for stuff like remotes or car keys. On a laptop or something I'm not so sure. If you lose your laptop or high end electronics, you will find the tile right where whoever found your shit ripped off and laying on the ground. But hey, you get your tile back!

Uh, there's these thingies called covers for the battery or RAM where you could attach the thing so it's hidden...

CoachChaz
08-02-2013, 04:02 PM
I was just curious.

I need to get about 10 or 12 of those for my wife. Keys, phone, license, sunglasses, remote, purse, etc.

weazel
08-02-2013, 04:05 PM
I was just curious.

I need to get about 10 or 12 of those for my wife. Keys, phone, license, sunglasses, remote, purse, etc.

It's a simple but great product, but I think them charging a subscription will kill it.

CoachChaz
08-02-2013, 04:16 PM
It's a simple but great product, but I think them charging a subscription will kill it.

I didnt bother to look at the prices. What are they?

MOtorboat
08-02-2013, 05:29 PM
I have a fairly simple solution.

Don't lose shit.

:wave:

Magnificent Seven
08-02-2013, 09:09 PM
I just ordered it. I will give you some review.

MasterShake
08-03-2013, 12:07 PM
Uh, there's these thingies called covers for the battery or RAM where you could attach the thing so it's hidden...

Not on my computer. The last laptop I had that would have room for anything thicker than a credit card was about 10 years ago (near the RAM expansions) And if you have a tablet or something where do you put it then? The screenshot in the video above shows it stuck on the outside casing. Thinner laptops aren't going to accommodate those things in a way you can hide them.

I think its a cool concept but only for smaller, less expensive things (like keys or something) and most higher end electronics already have the "Find My" apps built in that you can access from anywhere. My sister tracked down her phone the next day from my phone using that in Vegas last year which was pretty cool. If they can make them smaller and easier to hide, I think they would be more useful.

Ravage!!!
08-03-2013, 12:20 PM

I can't STAND using my phone for web uses. They suck ass, and a lot of web pages aren't designed for phones. Not to mention the costant need to zoom in and zoom out.. pinch and expand... pinch and expand.....ugh.

Ravage!!!
08-03-2013, 12:23 PM
It looks cool...but I think the "tiles" are just too big for practical application and use.