PDA

View Full Version : Three months after coming out of the closet, Jason Collins is still without an NBA gig

Dapper Dan
08-02-2013, 05:02 AM
Three months into that journey, though, Collins is still without a team – and this is either typical of someone of Collins’ stature as a role player on the end of the bench, a sign of the NBA’s league-wide fiscal belt tightening, or a worrying note for those that hoped that an openly gay athlete could sign with a pro team with relatively little hoopla to follow. Wednesday marked the one-year anniversary of Collins’ 2012 free agent signing with the Boston Celtics, and every day that follows will unfortunately force us NBA observers to ask a question that we want nothing to do with: Are NBA teams passing on signing Jason Collins the basketball player, or Jason Collins the openly gay athlete?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/three-months-coming-closet-jason-collins-still-without-181353522.html

Softskull
08-02-2013, 07:55 AM
He's been blackballed.

That comment has nothing to do with the color of his skin or where he keeps his balls.

MOtorboat
08-02-2013, 08:26 AM
He's been blackballed.

That comment has nothing to do with the color of his skin or where he keeps his balls.

He'll be 35 in December and he averaged one point per game last year. I'd say its hard to definitively say being gay is why he hasn't been signed.

OrangeHoof
08-02-2013, 08:34 AM
If Tim Tebow is a media circus, this guy would be a reality series. You want everybody making a big deal about your last guy off the bench?

WTE
08-02-2013, 08:59 AM
I heard Brooklyn might have an interest.

Dzone
08-02-2013, 09:14 AM
Imagine if this guy signs with a team. The rainbow flags and teeshirts would be all over the arena. Yes, it would be worse than Tebowmania. Dudes would be making out at games. You couldnt take your kids.

slim
08-02-2013, 09:16 AM
He's been blackballed.

Talk about manufacturing a scandal...

Pudge
08-02-2013, 09:18 AM
He's been blackballed.

I don't know if you were being serious or just setting up the pun, but either way I had a good laugh

Thnikkaman
08-02-2013, 09:33 AM
Imagine if this guy signs with a team. The rainbow flags and teeshirts would be all over the arena. Yes, it would be worse than Tebowmania. Dudes would be making out at games. You couldnt take your kids.

Seriously?

You might as well have said something in the 60s akin to "You can't let a black man on the court, there will be watermellon rinds and chicken bones everywhere".

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-02-2013, 09:34 AM
Nobody was after him before all of this, so...

Dzone
08-02-2013, 09:35 AM
Seriously?

You might as well have said something in the 60s akin to "You can't let a black man on the court, there will be watermellon rinds and chicken bones everywhere".
lmao!!!!

slim
08-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Seriously?

He was joking.

But I can't stop laughing at the thought of watermellon rinds and chicken bones piled up on the side of the court.

Thnikkaman
08-02-2013, 10:05 AM
He was joking.

But I can't stop laughing at the thought of watermellon rinds and chicken bones piled up on the side of the court.

This is what happens when I don't read the whole thread.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-02-2013, 10:27 AM
He'll be 35 in December and he averaged one point per game last year. I'd say its hard to definitively say being gay is why he hasn't been signed.

True - and besides that, I had no idea who he even was. It's not like he is a standout player, who teams are not willing to sign because of his coming out.

Nomad
08-02-2013, 11:56 AM
I don't think he would be able to play in Russia either.:lol:

CoachChaz
08-02-2013, 11:58 AM
Seriously?

Right...like black people can afford tickets to sports events

Nomad
08-02-2013, 11:58 AM
True - and besides that, I had no idea who he even was. It's not like he is a standout player, who teams are not willing to sign because of his coming out.

The Utah Jazz agree

Nomad
08-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Right...like black people can afford tickets to sports events

I don't know about that, $1 beer nights at the Rainiers games in Tacoma had quite a few blacks :D. I know we're talking basketball here.

weazel
08-02-2013, 12:41 PM
basketball is gayer than Jason Collins

OrangeHoof
08-02-2013, 03:35 PM
Soccer is gayer than Jason Collins

Softskull
08-02-2013, 08:30 PM
Talk about manufacturing a scandal...

It is scandalous. I heard he's banned from curling and synchronized swimming too. Homophobia running amok.

sneakers
08-09-2013, 03:20 PM
Is Golden State in SF?

They will probably sign him

Dzone
08-09-2013, 04:06 PM
Is Golden State in SF?

They will probably sign him
Every game will be a circus full of fairies prancing around

aberdien
08-09-2013, 05:13 PM
Robbie Rogers on the other hand was signed pretty quickly after he announced how gay he was and is now one of the star players for the LA Galaxy.

OrangeHoof
08-09-2013, 09:06 PM
Robbie Rogers on the other hand was signed pretty quickly after he announced how gay he was and is now one of the star players for the LA Galaxy.

Proving what I said upthread:

Soccer is gayer than Jason Collins

chazoe60
08-09-2013, 09:08 PM
I thpught being gay was a prerequisite for playing soccer? Well, gay or European. Who am I kidding gay=European. ;)