PDA

View Full Version : Retired Ryan Lilja interests Denver Broncos

Magnificent Seven
07-31-2013, 02:17 AM
The Broncos have reached out to guard/center Ryan Lilja about coming out of retirement, NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday. Citing a person who spoke to Lilja on Tuesday, Rapoport said the player is in "think-it-over mode" and should decide in a few days.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000223884/article/retired-ryan-lilja-interests-denver-broncos

Dapper Dan
07-31-2013, 02:28 AM
I've seen him listed as a G/C. Does anyone know when he played center?

He would know Manning more than anyone else on our OLine. He retired 8 months ago. I would hope he's still in football shape. If he is still in shape, he needs to get into camp ASAP, if he decides to come back. He still has some time to work with the OLine. Most importantly, we got to get him snapping the ball. It's not the easiest transition. Bad snaps are devastating. The Center at Tennessee was a switch from Guard. We had a full season of bad snaps. He was also using his right hand to snap while he is left handed, or vice versa (I can't remember which hand).

Random fact. He went to the Community College that Sly Williams went to. Obviously at different times.

SR
07-31-2013, 07:13 AM
Bring him in as competition. Wouldn't hurt anything. If nothing else enticing him with the opportunity for another ring could keep him around for depth

TXBRONC
07-31-2013, 07:33 AM

He would know Manning more than anyone else on our OLine. He retired 8 months ago. I would hope he's still in football shape. If he is still in shape, he needs to get into camp ASAP, if he decides to come back. He still has some time to work with the OLine. Most importantly, we got to get him snapping the ball. It's not the easiest transition. Bad snaps are devastating. The Center at Tennessee was a switch from Guard. We had a full season of bad snaps. He was also using his right hand to snap while he is left handed, or vice versa (I can't remember which hand).

Random fact. He went to the Community College that Sly Williams went to. Obviously at different times.

I can't say I've ever seen him play center.

Army Bronco
07-31-2013, 09:39 AM
So our coaching staff ID worried about Ramirez at C or they just need depth? Either way looks like we are in bad shape.

Buff
07-31-2013, 09:45 AM
So our coaching staff ID worried about Ramirez at C or they just need depth? Either way looks like we are in bad shape.

Yes, yes, and yes.

LTC Pain
07-31-2013, 10:00 AM
The Red Zone indicates the Broncos have made an offer to Lilja and he is contemplating it:

The Denver Broncos have lost centers J.D. Walton and Dan Koppen to injuries.

Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com reports that center/guard Ryan Lilja is contemplating an offer from the Broncos.

Lilja, 31, announced his retirement last December following his third season with the Kansas City Chiefs. Lilja started 59 games for the Manning-led Indianapolis Colts at guard from 2004-09. Lilja played center with the Chiefs in 2012.

The Broncos have shifted Manny Ramirez from guard to center in subsequent practices.

Lilja's agent, Craig Domann, was unavailable for comment.

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/36345/Retired-OL-Lilja-weighing-Broncos--offer-to-play-center/Default.aspx

Dapper Dan
07-31-2013, 10:04 AM
The Red Zone indicates the Broncos have made an offer to Lilja and he is contemplating it:

The Denver Broncos have lost centers J.D. Walton and Dan Koppen to injuries.

Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com reports that center/guard Ryan Lilja is contemplating an offer from the Broncos.

Lilja, 31, announced his retirement last December following his third season with the Kansas City Chiefs. Lilja started 59 games for the Manning-led Indianapolis Colts at guard from 2004-09. Lilja played center with the Chiefs in 2012.

The Broncos have shifted Manny Ramirez from guard to center in subsequent practices.

Lilja's agent, Craig Domann, was unavailable for comment.

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/36345/Retired-OL-Lilja-weighing-Broncos--offer-to-play-center/Default.aspx

Thank you for that info!

Does anyone remember him playing Center? We went against them. I don't really remember. Did he do well at Center last year?

GEM
07-31-2013, 10:18 AM

He went to the Chiefs after leaving the Colts. He played C for them for a year or so from what I have heard on 104.3 The Fan.

EDIT** Sorry LTC, didn't see your post before hitting mine.

MOtorboat
07-31-2013, 10:19 AM
Thank you for that info!

Does anyone remember him playing Center? We went against them. I don't really remember. Did he do well at Center last year?

He was listed as the starting center for the Chiefs in games 4-9, and 11-16. He was inactive for the Cincinnati game. Looks like their starting center Rodney Hudson went down with a season-ending injury in week 3 against New Orleans, and Lilja slid over to center for the remainder of the season.

The game books at NFL.com (which is where I looked this up) said he committed just two holding penalties, one was accepted and one declined, both in the New Orleans game. Don't have any sack stats.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-31-2013, 10:55 AM

After Koppen got hurt - Fox stated that Ramirez was/is the starting center, and Koppen was brought in to add depth.

MOtorboat
07-31-2013, 10:59 AM
Football outsiders ranked the Chiefs line 19th in run blocking and 27th in pass protection. That's a ranking of the entire line.

Their adjusted line yards has the Chiefs ranked 14th up the middle (mid/guards) and the Chiefs ran the ball 48 percent of their 440 rushing attempts up the middle.

Lilja played 94 percent of the team's snaps. I'd assume that the six percent is the game he was inactive in against Cincinnati.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

MOtorboat
07-31-2013, 11:12 AM
I always take sacks allowed stats with a grain of salt, because its not an official stat, but ProFootballWeekly.com says Lilja allowed three.

Dapper Dan
07-31-2013, 11:20 AM
Overall, that's not too bad for a Guard playing Center. I don't remember hearing about any bad QB/C exchanges. The guy sounds like he wouldn't be that bad. The big plus is that he knows Manning signals and how he wants things to be. So if the guy is an adequate Center, it may work out pretty well. With our luck with injuries, I'd like to know Manny is there just in case.

BroncoJoe
07-31-2013, 11:37 AM
To me, it's just as important that Manning have a "general" on the line who can call out the assignments. Blocking is almost secondary, albeit clearly very important.

Dapper Dan
07-31-2013, 11:54 AM
To me, it's just as important that Manning have a "general" on the line who can call out the assignments. Blocking is almost secondary, albeit clearly very important.

I agree. Which I why I partly liked going with Manny versus some new guy. This guy more than likely played many more games with Manning than anyone on our roster.

MOtorboat
07-31-2013, 11:56 AM

You're right. But it looks like Lilja was still at the top of his game last year, blocking-wise too. This could be a good pickup if he decides to come back to the league.

slim
07-31-2013, 06:24 PM
So I guess they signed this guy.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-31-2013, 06:30 PM
So I guess they signed this guy.

I hope he hasn't been sittin' around eatin' potato chips for the last two years.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d5/SPGabe/fatman.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/SPGabe/media/fatman.jpg.html)

MOtorboat
07-31-2013, 06:37 PM
I hope he hasn't been sittin' around eatin' potato chips for the last two years.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d5/SPGabe/fatman.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/SPGabe/media/fatman.jpg.html)

He was the starting center for the Chiefs in January against the Broncos.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-31-2013, 06:39 PM
He was the starting center for the Chiefs in January against the Broncos.

Thanks a lot kill joy. :laugh:

MOtorboat
07-31-2013, 06:56 PM
Haha, thanks Soren.

@theprogramkc: Multiple reports... Ryan Lilja agreeing to 1 year deal w/Broncos. Chiefs had better not have low balled Lilja & the line better be great.

Magnificent Seven
07-31-2013, 07:27 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 11m

Broncos announced they agreed to terms with free-agent center Ryan Lilja. Out of retirement.

Dzone
07-31-2013, 07:59 PM
Who is this Lilja cat anyway?
Manny Ramirez is the rodney dangerfield of training camp. He must really suck at center
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23770573/ryan-lilja-signs-denver-broncos-1-year-compete

SR
07-31-2013, 08:23 PM
Manny Ramirez is the rodney dangerfield of training camp. He must really suck at center
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23770573/ryan-lilja-signs-denver-broncos-1-year-compete

He was Manning's right guard for their SB win (and loss) I believe. Not a star but pretty good. And I can't stand when people pronounce the j in this last name. The traditional pronunciation of it has the j sounding like a y...like Lilya

CrazyHorse
07-31-2013, 09:36 PM
I remember another former Chiefs center that played pretty well for us. Casey Wiegmann. Offensive line depth, especially at center is certainly an issue. If he can come in and contribute I don't see any reason not to bring him in. 31 does seem a bit young to retire. Has he had any major injury issues in the past?

Jsteve01
07-31-2013, 10:23 PM
chemistry with Manning, a super bowl ring and having played center more recently than high school (see Manny) are all pluses in my book regardless he should provide depth with Walton and Kuper hurt and Blake proving to be a waste of a roster spot.

broncohead
07-31-2013, 11:22 PM
I guess he was the pro football focus 14th ranked center. Idk how they rank but it's something to think about

Dapper Dan
08-01-2013, 03:19 AM

I don't think it's a knock on Manny. I think this guy could contribute. Just read everything on the first page.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-02-2013, 10:33 AM
Ryan Lilja had a whirlwind Thursday — especially for a guy who until the Broncos called earlier this week, considered himself officially retired.

The veteran offensive lineman traveled to Denver, completed paperwork and physical exam formalities, met (or in one important case, remet) his new teammates, began a crash course in the Broncos' offense, and then participated in the 80-minute evening walkthrough. And yes, he even made some snaps to Peyton Manning during the low-key, low-energy proceedings.

After signing his one-year, incentive-laden deal that could pay him as much as $2.2 million, Lilja was wearing No. 57, significant not only because it was Tom Jackson's old number. That's a center's number, of course, and it went to a 31-year-old veteran who wore 65 with the Kansas City Chiefs last season but was pressed into service at center when starter Rodney Hudson was injured. The Broncos continued to bill veteran Manny Ramirez as their No. 1 center for the time being, and coach John Fox on Thursday morning wouldn't be pinned down about whether Lilja definitely was ticketed to play center.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23780642/new-bronco-ryan-lilja-enticed-by-chance-play-manning

broncohead
08-07-2013, 02:52 PM
ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on NFL Insiders Broncos C Ryan Lilja underwent microfracture knee surgery in the offseason.

Hopefully it's healed

Ziggy
08-07-2013, 02:57 PM
His knee looked fine to me. As soon as his conditioning is up to par, I think he starts at center.

broncohead
08-07-2013, 04:10 PM
His knee looked fine to me. As soon as his conditioning is up to par, I think he starts at center.

That's good to hear. With all the injuries to the OL it would really suck to add another potential starter to that list.