PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest of Alltime

Northman
07-26-2013, 05:24 PM
Yep i said. What you going to do about it? :cool:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/602670_620514691300229_1882911413_n.jpg

SR
07-26-2013, 05:26 PM
Cool.

Poet
07-26-2013, 05:28 PM
/walks into thread

/says Oh we're not doing this again.

/waves and backs out slowly.

Northman
07-26-2013, 05:30 PM
/walks into thread

/says Oh we're not doing this again.

/waves and backs out slowly.

But i made it especially for you.

Poet
07-26-2013, 05:32 PM
But i made it especially for you.

If you argue stats, he has some but not enough. If you argue winning, he has some but not enough. If you argue an amalgamation of the two, he's up there.

He's not a bad pick. It's not like you're telling me that Joe Namoth or Terry Bradshaw is the best of all-time. I just don't agree.

Northman
07-26-2013, 05:34 PM
If you argue stats, he has some but not enough. If you argue winning, he has some but not enough. If you argue an amalgamation of the two, he's up there.

He's not a bad pick. It's not like you're telling me that Joe Namoth or Terry Bradshaw is the best of all-time. I just don't agree.

I know, i was just bored. But i still stand by my proclamation It was slow so what else was i too do? Start another "Lets get to know _______ appreciation thread in the Lounge? lol

Poet
07-26-2013, 05:37 PM
I know, i was just bored. But i still stand by my proclamation It was slow so what else was i too do? Start another "Lets get to know _______ appreciation thread in the Lounge? lol

Yeah.

You know what's really funny. Starting a mock "so and so is the greatest of all-time," thread. You argue Terry Bradshaw and I argue Trent Green or something.

Northman
07-26-2013, 05:41 PM
Yeah.

You know what's really funny. Starting a mock "so and so is the greatest of all-time," thread. You argue Terry Bradshaw and I argue Trent Green or something.

Thats actually not a bad idea..... lol

Lets do the Greatest QB's to play in a SB who really werent that great. lol

Poet
07-26-2013, 05:41 PM

I want Trent Dilfer. I want that burden.

aberdien
07-26-2013, 05:47 PM
wrong

http://ramjaksports.com/images/sept2912a%20(12).jpg

Northman
07-26-2013, 05:47 PM
I want Trent Dilfer. I want that burden.

Lmao

Im teetering on Brad Johnson or Stan Humphries.

Poet
07-26-2013, 05:48 PM
wrong

When did Jake Plummer turn black??

Northman
07-26-2013, 05:48 PM
wrong

Yea, he might the greatest bench warmer of alltime.

SR
07-26-2013, 05:50 PM

You have to compare the numbers he had to the others below and around him when he retired.

SR
07-26-2013, 05:51 PM

Plummer was #16...

Poet
07-26-2013, 05:56 PM
Plummer was #16...

Dude I don't know or care. I'm just dicking around! DON'T JUDGE ME!

Poet
07-26-2013, 05:59 PM
Lmao

Im teetering on Brad Johnson or Stan Humphries.

Trent Dilfer vs. Joe Flacco.

Are you man enough?

MOtorboat
07-26-2013, 06:02 PM
*******-A

:tsk:

Poet
07-26-2013, 06:04 PM
*******-A

:tsk:

Howdy, Mo!

How are you today?

MOtorboat
07-26-2013, 06:07 PM
Howdy, Mo!

How are you today?

Tired.

MOtorboat
07-26-2013, 06:09 PM
Tired of you being a dill hole.

Poet
07-26-2013, 06:14 PM
Tired of you being a dill hole.

I'm sorry that you disagreeing with me makes you think that I am a dill hole. )=

MOtorboat
07-26-2013, 06:18 PM
I'm sorry that you disagreeing with me makes you think that I am a dill hole. )=

I was only trying to make a joke. Your opinion, no matter how dumb it is, is your opinion and you are allowed to have it.

Poet
07-26-2013, 06:20 PM
I was only trying to make a joke. Your opinion, no matter how dumb it is, is your opinion and you are allowed to have it.

I don't have dumb opinions on football. My opinions have more factual basis and logic than most people on this site. Doesn't make it right or wrong, but I can say that with confidence.

I'm taking this moment to call you a poop face. :elefant:

Magnificent Seven
07-26-2013, 07:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQecaYSKsB0

Nomad
07-26-2013, 07:10 PM
Is that RunDMC? Never mind they just said it :lol:

Chillez
07-27-2013, 02:14 AM
Elway is and will always be the man. In my opinion Elway is greatest Denver Bronco ever yes over names like Floyd Little.

Dapper Dan
07-27-2013, 06:55 AM

Boomer Esiason?

Northman
07-27-2013, 07:42 AM
Boomer Esiason?

I think Boomer was pretty good, not HOF but pretty good.

Dzone
07-27-2013, 11:17 AM
Jeff Hostetler, Super Bowl Champ, then beat out Phil Simms in training camp and was named starter until he broke his back

Davii
07-27-2013, 11:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQecaYSKsB0

You can see some if those defenders think, "what the **** just happened?"

Jsteve01
07-27-2013, 12:00 PM
I just posted this on my fb page to start another argument.

Dapper Dan
07-28-2013, 06:15 AM
I just posted this on my fb page to start another argument.

Post the video to end the argument.

Dapper Dan
07-28-2013, 06:16 AM
I think Boomer was pretty good, not HOF but pretty good.

It was my unsuccessful attempt to get a reaction from the Bengals fan.

Chef Zambini
07-28-2013, 09:35 AM

bart starr, not that great.
a cheesey ORTON.

gregbroncs
07-28-2013, 09:41 AM

He's not a bad pick. It's not like you're telling me that Joe Namoth or Terry Bradshaw is the best of all-time. I just don't agree.Just curious, but, who do you believe was the best QB of all time?

Chef Zambini
07-28-2013, 09:42 AM
You can see some if those defenders think, "what the **** just happened?"thanks for the montage, great way to start my football sunday !

Tned
07-28-2013, 09:45 AM

Come on, clearly Jarious Jackson is holding the ball in his right hand, wasn't Plummer that famous left handed Broncos QB?

MOtorboat
07-28-2013, 09:46 AM
You guys have the wrong black Broncos quarterback.

Foochacho
07-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Everytime I see this thread title I think of the biggest Douche of all time. Kanye West.

Dzone
07-28-2013, 10:26 AM
Everytime I see this thread title I think of the biggest Douche of all time. Kanye West.
lmao! I couldnt agree with you more. Biggest pos ever

Dapper Dan
07-28-2013, 11:47 AM
Come on, clearly Jarious Jackson is holding the ball in his right hand, wasn't Plummer that famous left handed Broncos QB?

I'm pretty sure Plummer is bisexual. I've seen him throw the ball with either hand.

atwater27
07-28-2013, 11:49 AM
I am pretty sure that if Elway wasn't stuck with dunderhead Reeves for his formative years, he would have much more prolific numbers, if not a few more championships. Someone like Walsh or Shula or Gibbs... would have developed him much better and he would have not learned bad habits. As it was, on pure talent, he was able to get us to Super Bowls we had absolutely no business playing in. That in itself is amazing.

Dapper Dan
07-28-2013, 11:51 AM
First name Greatest. Last name Ever. I'm like a sprained ankle, boy, I ain't nut'n to play wit.

Chef Zambini
07-28-2013, 11:54 AM
You guys have the wrong black Broncos quarterback.

3165actually the broncos were the FIRST pro football team (AFL at the time) to field a STARTING black QB, marlin Brisco!
I wonder what his card is worth?
but BRISCO was definatly way ahead of doug williams and all the rest.

Dapper Dan
07-28-2013, 11:55 AM
I couldn't find the Plummer video, but here's our second favorite..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lINsnwqt1FA

Chef Zambini
07-28-2013, 12:00 PM
MARLIN THE MAGICIAN

Briscoe was 5-foot-10 and 177 pounds when the AFL's Broncos took him in the 14th-round of the 1968 draft. He started eighth on the Broncos' QB depth chart in training camp, so the team switched him to defensive back.

On September 29, 1968, starter Steve Tensi suffered a broken collarbone, and backup Joe DiVito was spotty. Head coach Lou Saban summoned Briscoe from the sidelines in the fourth quarter against the Boston Patriots to give him a try. Briscoe's first play was a 22-yard completion. On his second series he orchestrated an 80-yard touchdown drive. He completed a 21-yard pass and ran for 38 more himself, carrying it the last 12 yards for the score.

When Marlin Briscoe broke the Denver huddle and surveyed the Cincinnati Bengals defense as he walked to the line of scrimmage on October 6, he became the first starting African-American quarterback in the AFL.

Briscoe threw 14 touchdown passes that year, still Denver's rookie record. He completed 41.5 percent of his passes, and averaged 7.1 yards per attempt and his 17.1 yards per completion led the American Football League (and ranks 18th all-time). He also ran for 308 yards and three touchdowns.

Dapper Dan
07-28-2013, 12:19 PM
MARLIN THE MAGICIAN
... He completed 41.5 percent of his passes,...

Wow. That's horrible. I hope he switched to Wide Receiver or something.

MOtorboat
07-28-2013, 12:28 PM
Wow. That's horrible. I hope he switched to Wide Receiver or something.

He did.

Chef Zambini
07-29-2013, 05:23 PM
brisco had a stellar career as a dolphin WR.
but the FIRST black QB is a title that will always be his.
and our broncos were the FIRST to give a black man a chance !

Dapper Dan
07-29-2013, 08:44 PM
brisco had a stellar career as a dolphin WR.
but the FIRST black QB is a title that will always be his.
and our broncos were the FIRST to give a black man a chance !

I thought Abraham Lincoln was the first to give the black man a chance.

sneakers
07-29-2013, 11:37 PM
Yep i said. What you going to do about it? :cool:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/602670_620514691300229_1882911413_n.jpg

Dude, this is old news, I knew this when I was 7 years old

tomjonesrocks
07-30-2013, 09:11 AM
You can see some if those defenders think, "what the **** just happened?"

That across-his-body throwing he did is insane--can't think of anyone I've seen do that since. And still don't know how he ran like that on a knee with no ACL.

BroncoJoe
07-30-2013, 09:31 AM
That across-his-body throwing he did is insane--can't think of anyone I've seen do that since. And still don't know how he ran like that on a knee with no ACL.

AND, in his final years his bicep on his throwing arm was separated. Still could throw a bullet.

CrazyHorse
07-31-2013, 09:39 PM
Briscoe makes Tebow look like an All Pro. If Manning wins another Super Bowl does he usurp the title from his boss?

MOtorboat
07-31-2013, 09:46 PM
Briscoe makes Tebow look like an All Pro. If Manning wins another Super Bowl does he usurp the title from his boss?

No he doesn't. But nice try, though.

Different era.

Poet
07-31-2013, 09:48 PM
When Peyton Manning and Tom Brady retire, most people are going to take them over Elway.

CrazyHorse
07-31-2013, 11:41 PM
No he doesn't. But nice try, though.

Different era.

Yeah, I suppose. Tebow would dominate that era in the single wing.

Northman
08-01-2013, 04:11 AM
When Peyton Manning and Tom Brady retire, most people are going to take them over Elway.

It wont be a surprise, its why i dont care much for the Bart Starr's or Tarkenton's when talking about Elway. Different generations will always see the different players and era's differently. For me, Elway is world's above both Manning and Brady but its all about personal viewpoints.

Poet
08-01-2013, 04:29 AM
It wont be a surprise, its why i dont care much for the Bart Starr's or Tarkenton's when talking about Elway. Different generations will always see the different players and era's differently. For me, Elway is world's above both Manning and Brady but its all about personal viewpoints.

I can understand thinking that Elway is better than Manning or Brady, but world's? No way. You hit a certain point where no one can be world's better than you. Honestly I think when discussing your top players of all-time you should just brake it down into lists. These five to ten guys all have a claim at this.

We also live in a world that likes to sensationalize the guys that currently play. I remember when LT had that monster season people were saying he was the best of all-time. I rolled my eyes so hard at that. Personally to me the best backs are broken up into tiers. In tier one you have Walter Payton, Jim Brown, Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders. Simpson's murdering ass might be in that category as well. Tier two are guys like LT, Cambell, Dickinson, etc etc etc.

But my point is that guys in recent memories will always be slightly overrated, and over time they come back down to earth. Elway is going to suffer in the all-time debates because of his stats. We've been through it time and time again. There hits a point where you can only contextualize so much. Eventually they're going to see his 60k passing yards and compare it to the guys who dwarf it. The TD's wont match up. The INT rate and completion percentage won't match up. You'll be stuck trying to compare it to his peers and his generation, and he already has some issues with that as well.

When I look at Elway, I see a guy who did a lot. His teams were much better than most posters on this board want to ever admit. It's a myth that he singlehanedly carried his subpar team to the promised land. His overall team was not subpar. It just looked that way when he was playing against the soul-crushing NFC teams. Compared to his AFC teams, his team was just fine. Now was he the leader? Yes. Was his scheme often archaic and overly conservative - until Shanahan of course - yes. I've just found that on a Bronco board...well we all like to talk up our players a bit. I don't hold those three SB losses against him. Teams win championships. By that same token, I don't give him all this ungodly credit for the two wins either.

It was very fitting, poetically linear in fact, that Elway got rocked by these incredible rosters early in his career, and then was placed on an incredible roster in the twilight of his career. For every argument that Elway would have won the rings that Montana won, well Montana would have won the rings Elway did. Those teams were just ridiculously well coached and loaded. I assume it's magical to watch your team play that well.

Wouldn't ******* know.

So when you compare him to guys like Manning and Brady, it's a tough sell. Both of them statistically beat him out. Brady has the rings and the numbers. Manning has his own retardedly good legacy, a ring and all of his intangibles.

If we get to the point where we know that these guys can win a SB and could win SB's on one another's team, what makes John better than Brady? I mean we know that Brady has those rings and has those stats. We just speculate that Elway could have done it.

It's really tricky.

Unfortunately for all of us who don't reside in New England, I think Brady is going to be the consensus pick for best quarterback of all time.

atwater27
08-01-2013, 08:42 AM
I can understand thinking that Elway is better than Manning or Brady, but world's? No way. You hit a certain point where no one can be world's better than you. Honestly I think when discussing your top players of all-time you should just brake it down into lists. These five to ten guys all have a claim at this.

We also live in a world that likes to sensationalize the guys that currently play. I remember when LT had that monster season people were saying he was the best of all-time. I rolled my eyes so hard at that. Personally to me the best backs are broken up into tiers. In tier one you have Walter Payton, Jim Brown, Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders. Simpson's murdering ass might be in that category as well. Tier two are guys like LT, Cambell, Dickinson, etc etc etc.

But my point is that guys in recent memories will always be slightly overrated, and over time they come back down to earth. Elway is going to suffer in the all-time debates because of his stats. We've been through it time and time again. There hits a point where you can only contextualize so much. Eventually they're going to see his 60k passing yards and compare it to the guys who dwarf it. The TD's wont match up. The INT rate and completion percentage won't match up. You'll be stuck trying to compare it to his peers and his generation, and he already has some issues with that as well.

When I look at Elway, I see a guy who did a lot. His teams were much better than most posters on this board want to ever admit. It's a myth that he singlehanedly carried his subpar team to the promised land. His overall team was not subpar. It just looked that way when he was playing against the soul-crushing NFC teams. Compared to his AFC teams, his team was just fine. Now was he the leader? Yes. Was his scheme often archaic and overly conservative - until Shanahan of course - yes. I've just found that on a Bronco board...well we all like to talk up our players a bit. I don't hold those three SB losses against him. Teams win championships. By that same token, I don't give him all this ungodly credit for the two wins either.

It was very fitting, poetically linear in fact, that Elway got rocked by these incredible rosters early in his career, and then was placed on an incredible roster in the twilight of his career. For every argument that Elway would have won the rings that Montana won, well Montana would have won the rings Elway did. Those teams were just ridiculously well coached and loaded. I assume it's magical to watch your team play that well.

Wouldn't ******* know.

So when you compare him to guys like Manning and Brady, it's a tough sell. Both of them statistically beat him out. Brady has the rings and the numbers. Manning has his own retardedly good legacy, a ring and all of his intangibles.

If we get to the point where we know that these guys can win a SB and could win SB's on one another's team, what makes John better than Brady? I mean we know that Brady has those rings and has those stats. We just speculate that Elway could have done it.

It's really tricky.

Unfortunately for all of us who don't reside in New England, I think Brady is going to be the consensus pick for best quarterback of all time.

I agree with everything you just said except for the talent of Elway's teams part. Yes we had some Atwater and Dennis Smith, and some damn good linebackers. But that was really it. Our offensive and defensive lines were an absolute joke. And those positions are how a smart coach/GM is supposed to build a team. And you can say what you want about the 3 amigos, Elway made them look muuuuuch better than they were. Our cornerbacks came out of crackerjack boxes. There were so many weaknesses at key positions that any coach with half a brain could devise a foolproof plan to beat us. Elway was the x factor they could not account for, until, like you said, the soul crushing NFC came up to bat. Then they proceeded to crush my soul. 3 times to be exact.

tubby
08-01-2013, 11:27 AM
Enjoy!!

UQecaYSKsB0&sns

Check out the 1:40 mark......one of my favorite plays of all time....:D

BroncoJoe
08-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Enjoy!!

Check out the 1:40 mark......one of my favorite plays of all time....:D

Ditto! LOVE that play.

Northman
08-01-2013, 01:25 PM
John just had that 6th sense. Truly amazing and that vid brings up so many good memories.

BroncoJoe
08-01-2013, 01:40 PM
I grew up watching this guy, and was absolutely ecstatic when the Broncos got Elway:

Nq_IHoLNV0g

Yes, some of the video is in black and white....

Slick
08-01-2013, 01:47 PM
I grew up watching this guy, and was absolutely ecstatic when the Broncos got Elway:

Nq_IHoLNV0g

Yes, some of the video is in black and white....

I remember when Fran was on that TV show, That's Incredible. I don't remember him as a player but his highlights are fun to watch. He was a scrambling fool. He held pretty much every passing record when he retired if I remember correctly.

Watching that video of John takes me back. Great memories.

BroncoJoe
08-01-2013, 01:48 PM
I remember when Fran was on that TV show, That's Incredible. I don't remember him as a player but his highlights are fun to watch. He was a scrambling fool. He held pretty much every passing record when he retired if I remember correctly.

Watching that video of John takes me back. Great memories.

You are correct.