PDA

View Full Version : Let's keep starting Selvin Young

Retired_Member_001
11-24-2007, 06:26 PM
If we keep starting Selvin Young and giving him the bulk of the carries, we will then be able to tell if he is good enough. Even if Henry doesn't get the 1 year suspension, it is obvious he is a dodgy character and I am pretty sure he will get in trouble again. The chances are Henry will be cut anyway. (not to mention Henry is injury prone)

So if Selvin Young starts fumbling the ball like Tatum Bell, or if he wears out easily like Tatum Bell, then we know we need to get a new "feature back" running back. If Selvin Young can hold onto the ball, and if Selvin Young shows he doesn't wear out easily and keeps putting up solid performances like the past 2 games, then we know we don't need a new running back.

It's just a thought.

Tned
11-24-2007, 06:39 PM
If we keep starting Selvin Young and giving him the bulk of the carries, we will then be able to tell if he is good enough. Even if Henry doesn't get the 1 year suspension, it is obvious he is a dodgy character and I am pretty sure he will get in trouble again. The chances are Henry will be cut anyway. (not to mention Henry is injury prone)

So if Selvin Young starts fumbling the ball like Tatum Bell, or if he wears out easily like Tatum Bell, then we know we need to get a new "feature back" running back. If Selvin Young can hold onto the ball, and if Selvin Young shows he doesn't wear out easily and keeps putting up solid performances like the past 2 games, then we know we don't need a new running back.

It's just a thought.

If Henry doesn't get suspended, then it is VERY unlikely he will be cut. The Broncos would take a big salary hit, as I recall a pretty big chunk of his salary was guaranteed.

As to starting Young. If healthy, Henry has shown to be a very good runner in our system. Is Young better? Jury is still out. Right now, the Broncos should be doing everything they can to get in the playoffs, since they are a young team getting better every game.

Retired_Member_001
11-24-2007, 06:45 PM
If Henry doesn't get suspended, then it is VERY unlikely he will be cut. The Broncos would take a big salary hit, as I recall a pretty big chunk of his salary was guaranteed.

As to starting Young. If healthy, Henry has shown to be a very good runner in our system. Is Young better? Jury is still out. Right now, the Broncos should be doing everything they can to get in the playoffs, since they are a young team getting better every game.

There's alot of If's going on. :laugh:

Chances are he does get suspended in my opinion and that's what I'm going by for the rest of this post.

I don't mean give Selvin Young the ball 35 times a game or anything. But I would like to see him get the bulk load so we know if Selvin can be our back for the future. If he starts showing Tatum Bell signs ( good when splits carries, can't carry the load) then we know we need to go looking for a new back. If he put's up good rookie numbers, then we know he may be the guy for the future.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-24-2007, 06:50 PM
Selvin Young is banged up - he is not 100% right now.

Retired_Member_001
11-24-2007, 06:56 PM
Selvin Young is banged up - he is not 100% right now.

As is most of the team. :laugh:

Reidman
11-24-2007, 08:26 PM

Plus, it sounded to me, at least early on, as if Shanny was backing Henry so that would indicate he believes his story. I think if Henry doesn't get suspended he will continue to be starter as long as he's healthy. That's why we paid big bucks for him. I like Young but he is a rookie and will have plenty of time to shine.

Simple Jaded
11-24-2007, 09:37 PM
280lb lineman and a 207 RB? No thanks.

Let's hope and pray that Pothead doesn't get suspended......

shank
11-24-2007, 09:52 PM
i agree with you that henry is not a man of upstanding character, and i was almost hoping that we could use this whole thing as a reason to get rid of him for as cheap as possible. I was naive and didn't know that he had 9 kids with 9 women and had 'trouble' paying his child support until after he was a bronco. this is not the kind of guy i want on our team and i see this as about 2935494X worse than smoking some pot... he's already done his damage as a person as far as i'm concerned, and his bad character outweighs his talent on the field to me. if he stays i will support him 100% for 3 hours a week, but that's about it. If we can find a way to rid ourselves of him for cheap, then i will not cry myself to sleep that night..

TXBRONC
11-24-2007, 10:06 PM
There's alot of If's going on. :laugh:

Chances are he does get suspended in my opinion and that's what I'm going by for the rest of this post.

I don't mean give Selvin Young the ball 35 times a game or anything. But I would like to see him get the bulk load so we know if Selvin can be our back for the future. If he starts showing Tatum Bell signs ( good when splits carries, can't carry the load) then we know we need to go looking for a new back. If he puts up good rookie numbers, then we know he may be the guy for the future.

Wookie, I really doubt Shanahan is going to want just dump Henry should survive this ordeal and not suspended. Releasing Henry means the Broncos take a huge cap hit and I don't see Shanahan doing that if doesn't get suspended.

The other thing is Selvin came up gimpy from the last game and I haven't heard if he healthy enough to play.

Stargazer
11-24-2007, 11:05 PM

If Henry is healthy and not suspended you play him. He's a very good runner who's been banged up all season.

I'd like to see Selvin get more carries and opportunities, but if Henry is good to go it's a no-brainer. You play him.

omac
11-25-2007, 07:47 AM
I like the way Selvin Young runs, but Travis Henry, when healthy, is a much better bruising back. If Young becomes the feature back, we need a specialized back for goal-line situations, and I don't think Sapp is the one.

omac
11-25-2007, 07:48 AM
If Henry is healthy and not suspended you play him. He's a very good runner who's been banged up all season.

I'd like to see Selvin get more carries and opportunities, but if Henry is good to go it's a no-brainer. You play him.

Yeah, pretty much agree with that.

SR
11-25-2007, 07:52 AM
I like the way Selvin Young runs, but Travis Henry, when healthy, is a much better bruising back. If Young becomes the feature back, we need a specialized back for goal-line situations, and I don't think Sapp is the one.

Then you'll turn in to a Dallas or Jacksonville type team. I want one feature back who has super star power. If we have to draft one or trade for one, fine, but I want a big-name running back that, if he needs to, can run the ball 23842 times in one game and still have enough gas in the tank afterwards to go to the club and dance for 2371 hours. I'm kind of irritated with how Shannahanaahanaramjamanan tried to draft underdogs and turn them in to super stars. It worked out once. The rest of the time (minus Portis) it has been mediocre backs who got drafted in to a good system. Selvin Young was undrafted for a reason. He has his moments, but he's not 'it'.

omac
11-25-2007, 09:36 AM
Then you'll turn in to a Dallas or Jacksonville type team. I want one feature back who has super star power. If we have to draft one or trade for one, fine, but I want a big-name running back that, if he needs to, can run the ball 23842 times in one game and still have enough gas in the tank afterwards to go to the club and dance for 2371 hours. I'm kind of irritated with how Shannahanaahanaramjamanan tried to draft underdogs and turn them in to super stars. It worked out once. The rest of the time (minus Portis) it has been mediocre backs who got drafted in to a good system. Selvin Young was undrafted for a reason. He has his moments, but he's not 'it'.

Well, if Henry isn't suspended and stays healthy the whole of next season, then the runningback slot is pretty much set. I wouldn't want Denver to draft high for an RB, as we have bigger needs, like DT. If Travis Henry doesn't work out for next season, Michael Turner will be a free agent if I'm not mistaken; haven't seen enough of him to know if he's a Denver style runner, though. The Raiders may release Lamont Jordan, and he was tearing it up early in the season. Chester Taylor may also not want to continue being AD's backup, so there's an opportunity there. I think there could be much more values to be picked up in free agency and trades for runningbacks than there are for quality DT's.

topscribe
11-25-2007, 11:59 AM

Right. Like Rod Smith was undrafted for a reason, right? And Terrell David was
a sixth-rounder for a reason. And Tom Nalen, and Matt Lepsis, and . . .

When I hear real, genuine football players say they haven't seen Selvin's
cutback ability since TD, and compliment him on his blocking and receiving,
too, I'm not so quick to say he's not "it."

-----

SR
11-25-2007, 12:23 PM
Right. Like Rod Smith was undrafted for a reason, right? And Terrell David was
a sixth-rounder for a reason. And Tom Nalen, and Matt Lepsis, and . . .

When I hear real, genuine football players say they haven't seen Selvin's
cutback ability since TD, and compliment him on his blocking and receiving,
too, I'm not so quick to say he's not "it."

-----

Cases like you mentioned are a dime per dozen. How many times has Shanny taken a risk on drafting or trading for an undrafted or high round draftee and not succeeded? More than he's been successful with it.

Skinny
11-25-2007, 12:50 PM
If we keep starting Selvin Young and giving him the bulk of the carries, we will then be able to tell if he is good enough. From whatever point Henry comes back ... i hope we don't see him as the 'workhorse' back that he was ... not until the playoffs anyways. I don't think Mikey and this team can afford too ...

We're a better football team with Young and Henry healthy, and giving Young more carries to take away some of the wear & tear on Henry would'nt bother me one bit ... it is a two-back league now.

I don't think our Defense is quiet where we want it to be and we're still going to need to put alot of points to continue to win games ... and having two diffrent type of RB's in the backfeild gives you more options to do just that.

BroncoAV06
11-25-2007, 01:38 PM
From whatever point Henry comes back ... i hope we don't see him as the 'workhorse' back that he was ... not until the playoffs anyways. I don't think Mikey and this team can afford too ...

We're a better football team with Young and Henry healthy, and giving Young more carries to take away some of the wear & tear on Henry would'nt bother me one bit ... it is a two-back league now.

I don't think our Defense is quiet where we want it to be and we're still going to need to put alot of points to continue to win games ... and having two diffrent type of RB's in the backfeild gives you more options to do just that.

I agree, I am not doubting that Young could be a good scat type back but in no way do I feel that he could carry the load game after game. He did a good job in KC, but it caught up to him in the TEN game, after so many big man landing on him, he was banged up then game up with the knee injury. I don't think there is anything at all with a 2 RB system. The Broncos are banged up and if you have more then one player that possibly could help, then you have to play them.

Yes it is hit or miss with guys drafted late or not drafted at all, but Willie Parker was undrafted, Colston 7th round pick, players can play even if they are not drafted in the first 3 rounds; those rounds have players that don't pan out as well.

Retired_Member_001
11-25-2007, 01:48 PM
Wookie, I really doubt Shanahan is going to want just dump Henry should survive this ordeal and not suspended. Releasing Henry means the Broncos take a huge cap hit and I don't see Shanahan doing that if doesn't get suspended.

The other thing is Selvin came up gimpy from the last game and I haven't heard if he healthy enough to play.

I somehow think Henry's second hand smoke story wont work...

Even if he doesn't play this game he should play the next game. If he keeps getting injured then that's a sign.

Retired_Member_001
11-25-2007, 01:53 PM
From whatever point Henry comes back ... i hope we don't see him as the 'workhorse' back that he was ... not until the playoffs anyways. I don't think Mikey and this team can afford too ...

That's why I said we shouldn't give Selvin Young 35 carries. If we still give him most of the carries though we will be able to tell if he is good enough or if running back is on the BIG list of Broncos team needs in the off-season.

We will never know if Selvin Young can take the majority of the carries unless we hand the majority of the carries to him.

TXBRONC
11-25-2007, 03:20 PM
I somehow think Henry's second hand smoke story wont work...

Even if he doesn't play this game he should play the next game. If he keeps getting injured then that's a sign.

I don't think it will either, but what I was understanding from you is that even if Henry isn't suspended Shanahan should cut him loose. I don't think that will happen if somehow Henry wins his case.

TXBRONC
11-25-2007, 03:36 PM

We're a better football team with Young and Henry healthy, and giving Young more carries to take away some of the wear & tear on Henry wouldn't bother me one bit ... it is a two-back league now.

I don't think our Defense is quiet where we want it to be and we're still going to need to put a lot of points to continue to win games ... and having two different type of RB's in the backfield gives you more options to do just that.

If Henry is healthy to take the carries that's what he'll do.

I have to disagree with you about this being a two back League. Setting Jacksonville aside because they are an annomally I would say most teams Denver included prefer to have one back who get the majority of the carries. It's very difficult for most running backs to get into a groove if the carries are being divided up evenly.

Tned
11-25-2007, 04:02 PM
I don't think it will either, but what I was understanding from you is that even if Henry isn't suspended Shanahan should cut him loose. I don't think that will happen if somehow Henry wins his case.

Agreed. Wasn't somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of Henry's contract guaranteed?

Also, Henry has shown that when healthy he can run very well in this offense.

Skinny
11-25-2007, 04:04 PM
If Henry is healthy to take the carries that's what he'll do.Could be ... though i would'nt expect that (healthy) to last long if does gets the load ... which is my point.
I have to disagree with you about this being a two back League. Setting Jacksonville aside because they are an annomally I would say most teams Denver included prefer to have one back who get the majority of the carries. It's very difficult for most running backs to get into a groove if the carries are being divided up evenly.It's been a two back sytem for us for a couple of years now ... San Deigo (LT,Turner),Saints(McAllister,Bush), Vikings(AP,Taylor)*exception, Tenn(Brown,White) and on and on ... not every team but majority.

Denver has'nt had 1 RB with the majority of the carries in a couple of years ...

Retired_Member_001
11-25-2007, 05:50 PM

Yeah I think you misunderstood. It's not your fault because I could have put it better.

Andre Hall is looking pretty good as well. Selvin Young getting most of the carries with Andre Hall getting the rest of the carries could be a pretty good running back combo for the rest of the season.