PDA

View Full Version : Pass Rush

CrazyHorse
07-23-2013, 03:43 PM
What was one of our biggest strengths last year is a bit worrisome with the loss of Doom and possible suspension of Miller. We have some depth at the position but besides Phillips most of them are unproven. Our other DE's include Beal, Jackson, Smith, Ayers, and Wolfe. Anyone else a bit concerned?

Northman
07-23-2013, 03:47 PM
Well, there are a handful that thinks we will be just fine. I personally have my doubts.

CoachChaz
07-23-2013, 03:49 PM
If we can somehow "manage" to give up less than 25 points a game in Von's absence, I think we'll be ok. But personally...I dont think any one player takes a defense from a high ranking to a mid-level ranking. Adapt and overcome

OrangeHoof
07-23-2013, 04:03 PM
It might actually help because opponents won't know what we're doing if they aren't geared to stop VonDoom. We might try some exotic blitzes and send guys we normally wouldn't.

cmc0605
07-23-2013, 04:55 PM
Looking at the whole season, I'm not too worried. Dumervil will be missed, but adding Phillips helps, and we have Sly Williams/Knighton in the mix now, Wolfe with another year/becoming a leader on defense, plus Robert Ayers (and hopefully that Quanterus kid does something)- I think this whole DE thing will be forgotten about.

Von's potential suspension, if it occurs in weeks 1-4, might be problematic against the Ravens and Giants, but then we play the Raiders and Eagles. Eagles are decent, but it's a game I think we can get through without Von. Manning and company should be able to rack up more points than these teams. Key to Flacco is stopping the deep bomb...I don't expect mass screw ups by Champ/Rahim and co. two times in a row. I will be surprised if we come out of week 4 anything short of a 3-1 record.

ShaneFalco
07-23-2013, 04:58 PM
4 games without a pass rush , i would be worried if Manning wasnt our qb.

Poet
07-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Shaun Phillips and that defensive lineman, Wolfe?

You'll be okay.

Ziggy
07-23-2013, 08:13 PM
This is why Del Rio was a great choice. Great coordinators help to overcome injuries and suspensions with great coaching. Something tells me that the Broncos offense will pick up some of the slack as well. I expect this offense to average close to 35/game this season. The loss of Von will hurt, but great teams overcome these set backs.

DenBronx
07-23-2013, 09:38 PM
This is why Del Rio was a great choice. Great coordinators help to overcome injuries and suspensions with great coaching. Something tells me that the Broncos offense will pick up some of the slack as well. I expect this offense to average close to 35/game this season. The loss of Von will hurt, but great teams overcome these set backs.

Exactly! Great teams always overcome injuries. Del Rio knows how to use defensive players to their full potential. I bet he mixes it up alot.

We just need to score alot more than anything.

I still think Von will only be out 2 games if this goes through.

Tebowtime2011
07-23-2013, 10:55 PM
4 games without a pass rush , i would be worried if Manning wasnt our qb. actually von is appealing and I wouldn't be surprised if he won. Or gets suspension reduced. Another possibility he could be appealing to stall the suspension so that when he does get suspended we will be facing a bunch of scrub teams.

Dapper Dan
07-24-2013, 07:20 AM
We did lose Doom. We may lose Von for up to 4 games. That worries me a little. I'm not sure what our defense will look like on the field. It won't be the same at last year. I feel like our defensive scheme works well. Our defenders (and our team for the most part) seem to do well with the next man up approach. Bringing in Phillips will help. Drafting Williams will help. Bringing in DRC should help a little. A lot of our younger players have another year under their belt. Wolfe should be better. Ayers and Malik need to step up. Hopefully our DBs can make up the difference if the pass rush is slightly worse. Q Carter should be back, I think. Moore has another year to hopefully get better. Anytime your pass rush declines, it puts a burden on your DBs and vice versa. Personally, I think our team will play as well as last year, but I'm optimistic. I have faith in our guys and I think they'll step up.

CrazyHorse
07-24-2013, 10:55 AM
I'm really hoping an interior push from Sly and Knighton will help with pressuring QBs. Our edge rush was great last year but it doesn't help when quarterbacks can just step up into the pocket.

Bosco
07-24-2013, 02:21 PM
Not even worried. As great of a pass rusher as Von is, we will be alright with Phillips taking his spot in the sub packages.