PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Release Joe Mays

Hardwired
07-23-2013, 11:31 AM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis (https://twitter.com/MikeKlis)
Broncos release mlb joe mays

CoachChaz
07-23-2013, 11:33 AM
Bout damn time

Ziggy
07-23-2013, 11:35 AM
But...but...Alfred Williams said last year in camp that he was going to be a stud middle linebacker! Good to see that Elway is done with his one big mistake. Bye Joe.

Northman
07-23-2013, 11:36 AM
Im surprised it wasnt sooner.

Dzone
07-23-2013, 11:50 AM
He would have been better back in the days when you could tackle helmet to helmet

tomjonesrocks
07-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Very nice. Do they save any money off his undeserved contract?

Ziggy
07-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Very nice. Do they save any money off his undeserved contract?

3.5 million.

broncofaninfla
07-23-2013, 11:57 AM
I'm guessing this will help Woodyard with a new contract. He's worth more money than Mays. I wish Mays the best but surprised it took this long.

Ziggy
07-23-2013, 11:58 AM
He would have been better back in the days when you could tackle helmet to helmet

Not really. He still would have had to get to the ball carrier and not run into the wrong gap in those days too.

Joel
07-23-2013, 12:02 PM
Bout damn time
Took the words right out of my mouth. I wonder if this means Irving's finally proving his perceived worth, Steven Johnson's coming on strong, or both. Or simply that Elway's decided there are plenty of substandard starting Mikes to be had for far less than four freakin' million a year. I can almost see how Mays made the team; I bet he blows UP sleds—but no one has to chase, anticipate or cover a sled. ;)

rationalfan
07-23-2013, 12:09 PM
makes sense. but i always like having a ND State Bison on the broncos roster.

underrated29
07-23-2013, 12:11 PM
He was a beast on ST though. I will miss him for that and for knocking tony moeaki out of two different games.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-23-2013, 12:19 PM
He was a beast on ST though. I will miss him for that and for knocking tony moeaki out of two different games.

I would definitely bring him back for the right price.

BroncoWave
07-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Good luck to him in the future. He seemed to be a good guy and I'm not going to hold it against him that he got his money. I think he did the best he could with the skills he had. Definitely a mistake giving him that contract, but I'm not going to bash him on his way out.

Ravage!!!
07-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Other than Irvin, didn't we sign a veteran LB that was talked about playing middle? :confused: I can't remember his name, and I very well could be way off..but was thinking he used to play for the eagles?

Anyway.. hope Irvin will step into the role and be the beast that we were hoping for when he was drafted.

BroncoWave
07-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Other than Irvin, didn't we sign a veteran LB that was talked about playing middle? :confused: I can't remember his name, and I very well could be way off..but was thinking he used to play for the eagles?

Anyway.. hope Irvin will step into the role and be the beast that we were hoping for when he was drafted.

Stewart Bradley.

TXBRONC
07-23-2013, 12:25 PM
He's nice guy from everything that I have ever heard, but's not a very good mike linebacker so this comes as no surprise to me not when there is three other candidates competing for the job.

Ravage!!!

Yeah... I agree. I hope we can resign him for special teams, alone........at a reasonable price. Depth and special teams are huge.

Ravage!!!
Stewart Bradley.

yes.. that's it, thank you.

BroncoWave
07-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Wouldn't shock me if we bring him back for less. Depends on if any other team decided to bring him in for a shot at linebacker though. Overall it won't hugely impact the team either way though.

LTC Pain
07-23-2013, 12:52 PM
From Rotoworld:

Mays lost his starting job to current free agent Keith Brooking last year and wasn't going to beat out Nate Irving this year. By cutting the former Eagle one year into his three-year, $12 million contract, the Broncos save $3.5 million against the cap right away. Perhaps they'll use that cash to help fill the void left by Von Miller's impending four-game suspension. As a two-down linebacker coming off a broken ankle and leg, Mays won't find a hot market for his services

Magnificent Seven
07-23-2013, 12:54 PM
Aw, man! I like him. He was a beast in Texans vs. Broncos game. He smacked Matt Schaub down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXvCKwHLIew

Bosco
07-23-2013, 12:56 PM
Probably best for both parties. Mays is not a 4-3 Mike by any stretch, hence Philly dumping him off to us for basically nothing. He did very good as the strong inside linebacker in the 30 front back in 2010 though, and I think he could easily find a job in that role with another team.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-23-2013, 01:29 PM
ProLink Sports, LLC ‏@ProLinkSports

You'll never meet a better man/ hard worker than #JoeMays, he & wife Toyia were big in community. @MikeKlis: Broncos release mlb joe mays”
Retweeted by Vic Lombardi

Buff
07-23-2013, 01:52 PM
I still am not over him giving up a 3rd and forever to New England early in the season when he tried to blow up Woodhead coming out of the backfield instead of just keeping the play in front of him. I think that might have been his last game as a starter.

Joel
07-23-2013, 02:56 PM
I still am not over him giving up a 3rd and forever to New England early in the season when he tried to blow up Woodhead coming out of the backfield instead of just keeping the play in front of him. I think that might have been his last game as a starter.
I believe you're correct, but know that was typical of Mays. Stuff like that is one reason he's a solid Sam but hopeless Mike (his limited mobility and poor instincts are another.) Of course, teams who want Sam to rush passers a lot—despite leaving the field on obvious passing downs—still can't use Mays, and we already have a Sam who's faster, tackles better and has better instincts (even if he can't play in September.)

People say 4-3 Mikes are obsolete, but even if that's true, what does it say about 4-3 Sams? Starting a second Will at Sam doesn't make him a Sam, because the job descriptions are radically different; a second Will with the same size, speed and duties of the first is just a second Will. In a league constantly throwing more a true 4-3 Mikes coverage skills are more valuable than ever, but his run stopping also remains valuable, especially on early downs when Wills who can cover well or even rack up sacks get run over by backs who have 15+ lbs. on them.

Tired of hurry ups killing you by preventing substitutions? Start linebackers who can cover, rush AND run stop, not guys who are great against the run but awful against the pass (or vice versa.) The whole Von+Woodyard+Trevathan+a nickel will work great till someone start audibling to sweeps and counter treys when they see it; then our undersized line and backers get bulldozed.

That might have something to do with why Belicheat was gashing us with TE runs in the playoffs two years ago: When a team shows dime EVERY down, the smart thing isn't expecting Brady, Welker and Hernandez to beat them ANYWAY, it's taking the 5 rushing yards they're practically handing you. Two or three TDs will FORCE them to play the run; then you start burning them with deep passes. It's what they used to call "running to establish the pass" back when the NFL played pro (instead of arena) football. :tongue:

Scanning the team site just now for Mike articles I saw one saying Bradley's not expected to start (partly because he's not much faster than Mays) but the team has high hopes for Steven Johnson as well as Irving, with the main concern being that neither has been out of college more than a few years. Their take on Johnson was (unsurprisingly) tantalizing: A top high school prospect, his stock plummeted after he blew out a knee, forcing him to walk on as a Jayhawk, but he led the Big 12 in tackles his senior year.

Bosco
07-23-2013, 03:32 PM
People say 4-3 Mikes are obsolete

Those people are wrong.

Really wrong.

ShaneFalco
07-23-2013, 04:56 PM
Bradley is meh. Mays is meh. I want a MLB drafted next year

Bosco
07-23-2013, 05:01 PM

Bradley was looking like a stud in Philly before injuries set in. Then he went to a 3-4 team where he wasn't a good fit and got injured again. I wouldn't count on him, per se, but if he can regain the form he showed in Philly we'll be pretty well off there.

MOtorboat
07-23-2013, 05:23 PM

That happened twice in that game.

Dapper Dan
07-24-2013, 07:25 AM
Aw, man! I like him. He was a beast in Texans vs. Broncos game. He smacked Matt Schaub down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXvCKwHLIew

Used to, quarterbacks were called tough for hanging on to the ball and until the last second to find a receiver. And receivers were called tough for going over the middle. Now, it doesn't matter. If they get hit, there's a penalty. Sucks that Schaub lost part of his ear, but maybe he should have seen the blitz and went down like Kyle Orton.

Hell of a hit either way.

Dapper Dan
07-24-2013, 07:26 AM

AJ "The Beast" Johnson!!!

Dapper Dan
07-24-2013, 07:27 AM
I'm guessing this will help Woodyard with a new contract. He's worth more money than Mays. I wish Mays the best but surprised it took this long.

A buddy at work told me about it first. This was my first reaction. I expect Woodyard to get paid now.

honz
07-24-2013, 08:46 AM
I think it's funny people get so upset for athletes making millions undeservedly. Like they are the only people making way more than they deserve...

Poet
07-24-2013, 04:24 PM
I think it's funny people get so upset for athletes making millions undeservedly. Like they are the only people making way more than they deserve...

I don't understand why they think that it's undeserved? Those guys are one of the driving forces for the NFL to make Billions.

Ravage!!!
07-24-2013, 05:54 PM

Can you tell me how much money I'm worth or deserve, please? I want to know now so that I don't try to make too much. TIA.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-24-2013, 05:59 PM
Can you tell me how much money I'm worth or deserve, please? I want to know now so that I don't try to make too much. TIA.

Some people have a hard time understanding these guys need to try and make enough to live on for the rest of their lives, or at least enough to buy a house outright and start a retirement account.

Dapper Dan
07-25-2013, 04:14 AM
Some people have a hard time understanding these guys need to try and make enough to live on for the rest of their lives, or at least enough to buy a house outright and start a retirement account.

They still have endorsements for the rest of their lives. Autograph sessions. Being paid to speak. Etc.

Poet
07-25-2013, 04:27 AM
cap·i·tal·ism [kap-i-tl-iz-uhm]
noun
an economic system in which investment in and ownership of the means of production, distribution, and exchange of wealth is made and maintained chiefly by private individuals or corporations, especially as contrasted to cooperatively or state-owned means of wealth.

sneakers
07-26-2013, 10:35 AM
lel, didn't know he was still on the team

rationalfan
07-26-2013, 01:42 PM

word.

i get people complaining about a player's cap charge to the team - if undeserved. that, at least, can come from the fandom of following a team.

but complaining about a person's income always feels like envy. why should we care?

ShaneFalco
07-26-2013, 10:57 PM
Crony Capitalism'
A description of capitalist society as being based on the close relationships between businessmen and the state. Instead of success being determined by a free market and the rule of law, the success of a business is dependent on the favoritism that is shown to it by the ruling government in the form of tax breaks, government grants and other incentives.

:D..

Poet
07-26-2013, 10:58 PM
:D..

Does King87 need to put your ass in timeout?

ShaneFalco
07-26-2013, 11:01 PM
Does King87 need to put your ass in timeout?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnVkhwuYg6I

Poet
07-26-2013, 11:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnVkhwuYg6I

Just remember that you asked for this.

Chillez
07-27-2013, 02:11 AM
Mays had casual big hit here and there but was way too inconsistent. I'm glad he's gone. He was way too slow sideline to sideline his lateral movement was terribly slow.

Dapper Dan
07-27-2013, 06:57 AM

Tree fiddy.