PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning, Ryan Clady, Champ, top highest-paid Broncos in 2013

Denver Native (Carol)
07-21-2013, 12:59 PM
Six players comprise $63.75 million of the Broncos’ estimated $123.9 million payroll in 2013, or 51.4 percent. Here are the top six paid Broncos, in terms of cash received, for the 2013 season:

1. Peyton Manning, QB …………… $20 million
2. Ryan Clady, LT ………………. $15 million
3. Champ Bailey, CB …………….. $10.75 million
4. Louis Vasquez, RG …………….. $7 million
5. Wes Welker, Slot ……………… $6 million
6. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB … $5 million

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/07/20/highest-paid-broncos/20300/

Some free agent players, signed by the Broncos, are making more than Von, to name just one Bronco player :eek:

SR
07-21-2013, 01:09 PM
Some free agent players, signed by the Broncos, are making more than Von, to name just one Bronco player :eek:

Von is in the second year of a rookie contract. He likely won't see a raise until, at the earliest, the year before his contract is up.

Simple Jaded
07-21-2013, 09:20 PM
Yeah, remember when rookie 2nd overall picks were making more than Tom Brady? THAT was an issue.

Joel
07-22-2013, 04:41 PM
Von is in the second year of a rookie contract. He likely won't see a raise until, at the earliest, the year before his contract is up.
Yeah, that's the nature of FAs vs. rookies: Top FAs have Pro Bowls and playoff wins to command big salaries; rookies have the Senior Bowl and the requirement to sign with whoever drafts them.

SR
07-22-2013, 04:45 PM
Yeah, that's the nature of FAs vs. rookies: Top FAs have Pro Bowls and playoff wins to command big salaries; rookies have the Senior Bowl and the requirement to sign with whoever drafts them.

And at this rate he's not doing anything to help his cause.

vandammage13
07-23-2013, 09:38 AM
Actually looking at that, it doesn't look great long-term.

Our highest paid players are Manning and Champ, who are aging...And Clady (IMO) is no longer the elite book-end LT he once was.

Although, I understand rosters are fluid from year to year and it is possible to replace those guys down the road without really missing a beat.

Ravage!!!
07-23-2013, 09:42 AM
Actually looking at that, it doesn't look great long-term.

Our highest paid players are Manning and Champ, who are aging...And Clady (IMO) is no longer the elite book-end LT he once was.

Although, I understand rosters are fluid from year to year and it is possible to replace those guys down the road without really missing a beat.

Actually.. Clady is a GREAT example of looking towards the future.

But you can't look at the salaries to determine this. The new rookie contracts allow a team to have a 1st round pick fo 4-5 years without having to renegotiate...and they are NOT making the 50 million like they used to.

Example given...Von Miller. He's on the roster, isn't making top money. DT, Decker, our newest in DL, Ball....none are on the list and won't be for years (DT will be next). That is GREAT for the future of this team. Not only will we have room to sign him when it's time, but in the meantime we can sign big dollar free agents because the rookies aren't eating the cap.

vandammage13
07-23-2013, 09:51 AM
Actually.. Clady is a GREAT example of looking towards the future.

But you can't look at the salaries to determine this. The new rookie contracts allow a team to have a 1st round pick fo 4-5 years without having to renegotiate...and they are NOT making the 50 million like they used to.

Example given...Von Miller. He's on the roster, isn't making top money. DT, Decker, our newest in DL, Ball....none are on the list and won't be for years (DT will be next). That is GREAT for the future of this team. Not only will we have room to sign him when it's time, but in the meantime we can sign big dollar free agents because the rookies aren't eating the cap.

Valid points but I disagree on the Clady part.

I think Clady was signed banking on NOW...I personally don't see it as a move for the future. The Broncos needed a solid LT to protect Manning, and there just weren't really any better options out there (Jake Long was probably the only other comparable move to be made out there but he comes with significant injury concerns). Once Manning is done, I believe we will be looking for a new LT as well as QB...Clady will not be worth to the Broncos what he is being paid once we don't have Manning. He will lose his value and will most likely be traded or released at that point.

By the way, I don't have a problem with us banking on "Now"....We are very close, so he is worth overpaying for now.

Ravage!!!
07-23-2013, 09:55 AM
Valid points but I disagree on the Clady part.

I think Clady was signed banking on NOW...I personally don't see it as a move for the future. The Broncos needed a solid LT to protect Manning, and there just weren't really any better options out there. Once Manning is done, I believe we will be looking for a new LT as well as QB...Clady will not be worth to the Broncos what he is being paid once we don't have Manning. He will lose his value and will most likely be traded or released at that point.

By the way, I don't have a problem with us banking on "Now"....We are very close, so he is worth overpaying right now.

Ahh... welll there We'll just have to disagree. I don't think you simply find "Clady's" when you are looking for them. Clady has proved to be a top LT since being in the NFL and only showed a problem when fighting through injury. Even then, he didn't miss games. Manning went to the Super Bowl with a rookie LT in Indy, that turned out to not be very good at all. So I don't think the necessity to sign Clady had ANYTHING to do with Manning, but had to do with the fact that every team in the NFL wants a top LT, and we have one. You just don't let those go. I think the signing of Clady was MUCH more valuable for the future QB than it was for our present QB.

vandammage13
07-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Ahh... welll there We'll just have to disagree. I don't think you simply find "Clady's" when you are looking for them. Clady has proved to be a top LT since being in the NFL and only showed a problem when fighting through injury. Even then, he didn't miss games. Manning went to the Super Bowl with a rookie LT in Indy, that turned out to not be very good at all. So I don't think the necessity to sign Clady had ANYTHING to do with Manning, but had to do with the fact that every team in the NFL wants a top LT, and we have one. You just don't let those go. I think the signing of Clady was MUCH more valuable for the future QB than it was for our present QB.

Yeah, we'll just have to disagree with what we think Clady is at this point...He's not elite anymore in my view, and in another two years I just don't see him aging well like a Joe Thomas or John Ogden...Could be wrong on that I suppose, just the way I see it.

Ravage!!!
07-23-2013, 10:06 AM
He is elite.. hence why he got the second most guaranteed money at LT. That is elite.

vandammage13
07-23-2013, 11:46 AM
He is elite.. hence why he got the second most guaranteed money at LT. That is elite.

Being paid as elite does not make you elite on the field...I'm confident you know that.

I suppose Gilbert Arenas is still an "elite" NBA guard because he is still being paid like one even though he's not on an NBA roster.

Ravage!!!
07-23-2013, 12:03 PM
Yeah, we'll just have to disagree with what we think Clady is at this point...He's not elite anymore in my view, and in another two years I just don't see him aging well like a Joe Thomas or John Ogden...Could be wrong on that I suppose, just the way I see it.

For one, I'm not talking NBA that has guaranteed contracts. Clady JUST signed his, thus, he's considered an ELITE LT. If he wasn't considered an Elite LT, he wouldn't have gotten paid as one. So when you say "he's not elite anymore".... since when? Since signing his contract last week?

But your statements here confuse me. You make it sound like Clady is so much older than Thomas... and then make Thomas out to be older than he is. "Aging well like Joe Thomas." Joe is just 2 years older than Clady.. and was drafted just 1 year prior. How is Clady "not aging as well?" Where has Joe Thomas proved to "age so well" that you are comparing him to Ogden? :confused:

Either way. We'll just have to disagree. I'm confident that Clady is considered Elite...thus why Elway was willing to give the money up. Either way, the CLady signing was more for the future and less for the present.

broncohead
07-23-2013, 12:07 PM
Clady is 26... He is still in his prime. He has had a couple injuries but his play when healthy has always been top notch. Until he shows different on the field Clady is still an elite LT

Joel
07-23-2013, 12:14 PM
And at this rate he's not doing anything to help his cause.
Sadly also true. Suspensions are the best way to discipline players; stars can shrug off almost any fine, and teams don't care as long as production continues, but even the best player's worthless if not on the field, and NFL teams have enough people paying THEM to watch games in street clothes they don't need to pay someone else to do the same. Guys who eat cap and roster space but can't play are nothing but liabilities no team wants. That'll change attitudes and behavior much faster than fining guys less than they spend on a trip to Vegas, and fines just mean Roethlisberger can get away with things that would bankrupt Quinn.