PDA

View Full Version : Wesley Woodyard seeking new contract with Denver Broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
07-19-2013, 01:08 PM
Before the Broncos get down to the serious fun of making a Super Bowl run, there's one serious piece of business the NFL team needs to address:

Linebacker Wesley Woodyard deserves a new contract.

After a breakout season in 2012, when Woodyard recorded 117 tackles and three interceptions for the AFC's top team, the 26-year-old linebacker will seek a contract extension that will give him a significant raise.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/lunchspecial/ci_23693354/wesley-woodyard-seeking-new-contract-denver-broncos

Davii
07-19-2013, 01:48 PM
No doubt, lock him in. Wesley deserves a new contract.

CoachChaz
07-19-2013, 02:35 PM
Well...do what you can to keep him. But at some point, we just arent going to be able to afford all the young talent we're going to have to pay soon.

BroncoJoe
07-19-2013, 02:36 PM
He can wait until next year.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-19-2013, 02:40 PM
He can wait until next year.

I think DT and Decker are both coming up next year.

Davii
07-19-2013, 02:49 PM
Well...do what you can to keep him. But at some point, we just arent going to be able to afford all the young talent we're going to have to pay soon.

I don't think we're talking about a massive investment in Woody. Maybe Joe Mays'contract or a little less. Woody is a good player but he isn't top ten, etc. He's no Von Miller and he knows it. I don't think waiting until next year is really the answer either. Being that he isn't a top ten talent that immediately means we can't franchise tag him, etc, in that case there's a much higher chance he hits the market. We're not that deep at LB to begin with, do we really want him to possibly walk?

CoachChaz
07-19-2013, 03:09 PM
I don't think we're talking about a massive investment in Woody. Maybe Joe Mays'contract or a little less. Woody is a good player but he isn't top ten, etc. He's no Von Miller and he knows it. I don't think waiting until next year is really the answer either. Being that he isn't a top ten talent that immediately means we can't franchise tag him, etc, in that case there's a much higher chance he hits the market. We're not that deep at LB to begin with, do we really want him to possibly walk?

I would feel MUCH more confortable trying to replace Woodyard with Johnson/Trevathan/Irving than I would about replacing Thomas or Miller

Buff
07-19-2013, 03:10 PM
I've never been able to make up my mind about Woodyard. On one hand, he is a tackling machine. But he has been a part of a lot of bad defenses, and is undersized, and has been beaten out in the past by some so-so talent... So it makes me wonder if this new scheme really suits him better, or if he's been underutilized, or if he had a career year and won't be able to repeat it.

CoachChaz
07-19-2013, 03:12 PM
If he'll sign for Joe Mays money...and we can cut Mays...I'm all for it.

Davii
07-19-2013, 03:15 PM
If he'll sign for Joe Mays money...and we can cut Mays...I'm all for it.

That's where I'm at.

Jsteve01
07-19-2013, 03:24 PM
Woodys value goes far beyond his playing ability. He is also a very vocal leader. Something this defense has lacked since big als neck injury. Also given his relative youth at 26 and only one year as a starter. I would much rather sign him sooner than later. He is a very solid player who will only get better barring injury. And again I keep coming back to leadership and character. I may be wrong but he reminds me of the defensive version of rod smith

DenBronx
07-19-2013, 04:33 PM
I think DT and Decker are both coming up next year.

I would rather us keep those guys over anyone next in line for a contract. In the next few years alot of these contracts are going to push us to the brink. DT and Decker are very important weapons and still very young. SO far Elway and co. has been able to work wonders with the cap. Hopefully he has a plan for these two.

Welkers contract is only for two years. In two year we may have to cut 1 of the three loose. This next season is going to determine who is the odd man out because I just don't see us supporting 3 primetime WRs longterm.

Woody does deserve another contract, just not so sure he will get what he is expecting. I can see us letting him test the market first. If we let Dumervil do that, who was more important to our defense, then I suspect we will also let Woody do the same thing. If he is commanding too much then we let him walk.

Let the Barwins or Mays type guys go but try and keep Woody if the price is right for us. He is a vocal leader and plays at a high level.

Dzone
07-19-2013, 05:50 PM
We can Let Decker go after next year.

broncosfannum24
07-19-2013, 08:16 PM
Once Manning is done playing, its going to create a canyon wide amount of spending money. We'll be able to sign more of The Young players then you think.

turftoad
07-19-2013, 08:47 PM

Why is that? Who on the roster is going to replace him next year.

MOtorboat
07-19-2013, 08:55 PM

Though Welker is the slot receiver, Decker is the third receiver in the system. That can be replaced. I'll make it clear, I don't want that, but it's possible.

As to signing Woodyard, I don't think it'd take too premium of a contract to get it done, so they should entertain it.

Dzone
07-19-2013, 09:02 PM
I thought he had more drops than he did. I checked it out. Not as bad as I thought. Of course, some guys have a lot more balls thrown to them like welker and thomas, therefore, more drops. The best receivers lead the league in dropped balls
http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/fb/leaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232
Well, Tavarres King might cost less if he proves himself not to be a wasted pick.

broncohead
07-19-2013, 09:07 PM
Slot receivers are easier to replace then outside receivers. I'd keep Decker over Welker and also the age factor. Decker will have more value long term.

turftoad
07-19-2013, 09:09 PM
Though Welker is the slot receiver, Decker is the third receiver in the system. That can be replaced. I'll make it clear, I don't want that, but it's possible.

As to signing Woodyard, I don't think it'd take too premium of a contract to get it done, so they should entertain it.

True, however, Welker is no spring chicken. Get ride of Decker now and soon have to replace Welker too in a couple years. I tnink Welker has two good years at the most left. Gotta keep young talent also if not to expensive.

SR
07-19-2013, 09:12 PM

Decker is far from irreplaceable

SR
07-19-2013, 09:14 PM
True, however, Welker is no spring chicken. Get ride of Decker now and soon have to replace Welker too in a couple years. I tnink Welker has two good years at the most left. Gotta keep young talent also if not to expensive.

Welker has a lot more than two good years...he's friggin 32, not 37.

turftoad
07-19-2013, 09:19 PM
Welker has a lot more than two good years...he's friggin 32, not 37.

I said GOOD years, not average years SR. He's had some great years but he's also taken a beating doing so.

SR
07-19-2013, 09:23 PM
I said GOOD years, not average years SR. He's had some great years but he's also taken a beating doing so.

Like I said. He won't be catching 100+ balls in Denver or taking half of the beating he did in NE. He has A LOT more than two GOOD years...

broncohead
07-19-2013, 09:48 PM
Decker is far from irreplaceable

Everyone except Miller, Manning, D Thomas, and Clady can be easily replaced imo. But when looking at Welker vs Decker we will get more out of Decker in the long run. Also it's easier to replace inside receivers then outside receivers. Thats why we saw Welker and Cruz get the offers they got. They are inside guys

turftoad
07-19-2013, 10:05 PM
Like I said. He won't be catching 100+ balls in Denver or taking half of the beating he did in NE. He has A LOT more than two GOOD years...

Mannings got two years, Welker will be gone when Mannings gone. We need our young guys.

SR
07-20-2013, 09:19 AM
Everyone except Miller, Manning, D Thomas, and Clady can be easily replaced imo. But when looking at Welker vs Decker we will get more out of Decker in the long run. Also it's easier to replace inside receivers then outside receivers. Thats why we saw Welker and Cruz get the offers they got. They are inside guys

Agreed

SR
07-20-2013, 09:20 AM
Mannings got two years, Welker will be gone when Mannings gone. We need our young guys.

How does Manning only have two years? I like how you know this so matter of fact-like. Crystal ball working well for ya I guess.

turftoad
07-20-2013, 09:29 AM

I hope you're right SR however, there will be a diff between good and average IMO.

How does Manning only have two years? I like how you know this so matter of fact-like. Crystal ball working well for ya I guess.

It's not matter of fact, just how I see it. Yes, it may be a crystal ball. Again, just how I see it.

mopatt24
07-20-2013, 01:00 PM
It shouldn't take that big of a deal to keep him in town, but I don't think they'll address it now. However, I am really interested in seeing the WLB play between Woody and Travathan this season. Danny saw a lot of PT for a 5th round rookie ( Someone correct me if im wrong ) and I expect to see much improvement in his game. Could be an interesting camp battle to keep an eye on

DenBronx
07-20-2013, 04:05 PM

No we cant...and wont.

Dude had 13 TDs last year and is on the same page as Manning. We will sign Decker over Welker if it comes down to it.

Jsteve01
07-20-2013, 09:56 PM
maybe I'm silly but I've always thought the buy low principle is valid when talking about signing your own players. Unless you see Wood regressing, or don't think he fits into your long term plans why not lock him up now. I'd venture a guess that he'll put up similar or even better numbers than last year for the next three or four, which would of course drive the price up.

EMB6903
07-20-2013, 10:39 PM
Woodyard is a better will linebacker than DJ ever was in a 4-3 scheme.

He was our 2nd best defensive playmaker last year IMO.

A solid defensive presence along with being a great leader. He deserves a new contract.