PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the surprise Bronco of this season?

broncofaninfla
07-18-2013, 03:24 PM
Each year there is usually a player who kinda comes out of no where and surprises people. I'm going out on a limb but I think DE Jeremy Beal is going to going to make a significant contribution at DE. He was looking very good last preseason before getting hurt and with the loss of Doom, gives him a chance to slide under the radar and make a name for himself.

slim
07-18-2013, 03:25 PM
David Bruton.

Dzone
07-18-2013, 03:43 PM
Omar Bolden, Duke Ihenacho, Quanterus Smith, Trevathon, Orange Julius(maybe)

Northman
07-18-2013, 04:12 PM
Knowshon Moreno.

SR
07-18-2013, 04:13 PM
Robert Ayers

Northman
07-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Robert Ayers

Im actually hoping he does. With the loss of Doom we could really use him to step it up.

LTC Pain
07-18-2013, 04:37 PM
Ayers, Thomas and Sly!

honz
07-18-2013, 06:41 PM
I dunno, that's why it's a surprise...

chazoe60
07-18-2013, 06:44 PM
Joel Dreesen.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-18-2013, 07:06 PM
Joel Dreesen.

Put down the PBR. :D

Dzone
07-18-2013, 07:49 PM
Sorry, I picked 5. LOL Its hard to pick just one

UnderArmour
07-18-2013, 09:29 PM
Rahim Moore. I think he will play a pro-bowl level this year.

Hawgdriver
07-18-2013, 09:37 PM
Peyton Manning. Sure, we know he's good. But who woulda guessed he'd throw 13,000 yards and 132 TDs in a single season?

olathebroncofan
07-18-2013, 09:52 PM
Peyton Manning. Sure, we know he's good. But who woulda guessed he'd throw 13,000 yards and 132 TDs in a single season?

Yep and he still choked in the playoffs after having that type of season.

Dzone
07-18-2013, 09:53 PM
Jeremy Beal? Was good at Oklahoma. How good is he now? Would love to see the kid become the next star. Is he better than Q Smith? Is Q at full strength now?
This defense is stacked. The DT position with sly and knighton could be a big factor in other players making a lot of plays. Maybe this Bradley kid becomes a Keuchly like tackling machine...He has a career year and makes the pro bowl.

Dzone
07-18-2013, 10:01 PM
The whole team choked. Fox choked by running Hillman into the line on third and 7. Manning played better than I expected...not sure I buy the dead arm from the cold idea. With the stuff you can wear now, you can be out in sub zero and sweating your ass off... is Manning going with the glove full time now? a la Kurt Warner? The glove definitely made warner better.

Hawgdriver
07-18-2013, 10:24 PM

My point, exactly. Although choked isn't how I'd describe it, but the result is what matters.

tomjonesrocks
07-18-2013, 11:10 PM
Rahim Moore. I think he will play a pro-bowl level this year.

I just choked some bile up.

I'll go with Hillman coming out in his second year having a Warrick Dunn in his prime type of season and giving D-coordinators nightmares.

Montee and Hillman become the league's most dangerous/productive tandem. Still think McGahee would have been the better goal line back to keep around, though. They must be sure Hester is better in 2013 than McGahee would have been. Hard to see, but OK.

Don't see where Moreno fits in, though I appreciated his pre-injury effort last year.

TXBRONC
07-18-2013, 11:45 PM
There are several that could be a surprise but my top two candidates are Julius Thomas and Quanterus Smith.

NightTerror218
07-19-2013, 12:11 AM
Orange julius and Monte ball

And defensive player will be over shadowed by miller.

Hawgdriver
07-19-2013, 03:02 AM
DRC is my pick to surprise. One-year deal, should have a big chip on his shoulder, gets the benefit of playing in a quality backfield, will see his share of looks. He's got hands. Expectations are muted b/c of his recent slackluster performance.

CrazyHorse
07-19-2013, 08:49 AM
Wes Welker. I know he's done nothing for us up to this point but I have this feeling he's going to have a great season.

Ravage!!!
07-19-2013, 09:50 AM

shut your mouth

tomjonesrocks
07-19-2013, 10:19 AM
Hmmm. Julius hype lives on I see...again with the promising camp and whatnot...

Even if he finally does something in real games he's so deep in the pecking order. What would be called a good season? 30 catches?

MasterShake
07-19-2013, 10:58 AM
I would like to see Julius live up to the hype he has garned as well, so I'll go with him. He is the first name that popped into my head when I saw this thread, anyway.

CoachChaz
07-19-2013, 11:16 AM
After DThomas, Decker, Welker, Dressen, Tamme...how many balls are left for JThomas to be a surprise contributor? And that's assuming he moces up over Green

MasterShake
07-19-2013, 11:24 AM
After DThomas, Decker, Welker, Dressen, Tamme...how many balls are left for JThomas to be a surprise contributor? And that's assuming he moces up over Green

Well the others are sure things basically, so he would be a surprise, no? Like he steps in for an injury and just plays lights out.

CoachChaz
07-19-2013, 11:28 AM
Well the others are sure things basically, so he would be a surprise, no? Like he steps in for an injury and just plays lights out.

I suppose. I just dont see too many balls going around to allow him the "break out" that would be needed to consider his contribution a surprise, Now...if you consider the fact that he earns time on the field at all to be a surprise...then I can get behind that one

Simple Jaded
07-20-2013, 12:45 AM
Is there a QB that Broncos fans won't turn on?

Dapper Dan
07-20-2013, 01:26 AM
I think Brandon Marshall will have a great year.

Dzone
07-20-2013, 02:20 AM
I think Brandon Marshall will have a great year.
Hopefully Cutler is terrible

Ziggy
07-20-2013, 07:30 AM
Sylvester Williams...future all pro.

Dzone
07-20-2013, 11:23 AM
Sylvester Williams...future all pro.
Read that his first step off the snap is faster than anyone else on that line except for Von Miller. He has athleticism that the other lineman just dont have.

Simple Jaded
07-20-2013, 07:09 PM
Hmmm. Julius hype lives on I see...again with the promising camp and whatnot...

Even if he finally does something in real games he's so deep in the pecking order. What would be called a good season? 30 catches?
You call a few posts about Thomas "hype"?

Jsteve01
07-20-2013, 07:38 PM

I suppose. I just dont see too many balls going around to allow him the "break out" that would be needed to consider his contribution a surprise, Now...if you consider the fact that he earns time on the field at all to be a surprise...then I can get behind that one. If Thomas has a great camp and stays healthy I think tam me could be a surprise cut. He offers zero ad a blocker and Thomas upside is huge. Th lingering ankle issues are gone. Time to see what he's got. If he stays healthy he offers jimmy Graham type athleticism at the te. And please don't anyone say I'm comparing him to graham. I'm not but the size length and athleticism are very similar.

Jsteve01
07-20-2013, 07:39 PM
Rob Ayers. There I said it. I think he finally lives up to his potential

DenBronx
07-20-2013, 07:45 PM
Bruton or Wolfe. Everyone else we already know about. Wolfe did good last year as a rookie but he could have a breakout year. Bruton is going to get the first crack as a starter.....I suspect he will make the most of it and hope he does.

Softskull
07-20-2013, 08:00 PM
Quan Smith.

I'm calling 10 sacks for his rookie season.

Dzone
07-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Saw Del Rio video saying great things about David Bruton. His leadership, experience, size, speed etc etc...Its easy to root for Bruton. Hope he wins the job and proves himself.

DenBronx
07-20-2013, 09:53 PM
Saw Del Rio video saying great things about David Bruton. His leadership, experience, size, speed etc etc...Its easy to root for Bruton. Hope he wins the job and proves himself.

He's been buried on special teams for a few years now. I'm sure he's not complaining about that at all because that is what has helped him keep a roster spot. But when it's all said and done he is still an NFL safety. This is his time to prove that he is a starter. I root for the guy because he never complains, always does what is asked and seems to be a pretty humble dude. Hopefully he does well.

Jsteve01
07-20-2013, 09:58 PM
He's been buried on special teams for a few years now. I'm sure he's not complaining about that at all because that is what has helped him keep a roster spot. But when it's all said and done he is still an NFL safety. This is his time to prove that he is a starter. I root for the guy because he never complains, always does what is asked and seems to be a pretty humble dude. Hopefully he does well.

Hopefully he's this year's Woodyard. I like Mike Adams but improvement from Bruton, and signing of Jammer make me think he and his contract become expendable pretty early in camp.

EMB6903
07-20-2013, 10:37 PM
My eyes are on q. Smith.

I see him being the surprise of training camp this year.

Jsteve01
07-20-2013, 11:43 PM
the only problem with the Smith pick is that he's coming off injury and rather than risk a Toviessi type regression, I think they'll ease him along slowly. Beal may be another guy who makes some noise. he's a natural pass rusher with below avg athleticism, but he's a worker.

LTC Pain
07-21-2013, 09:45 AM
My eyes are on q. Smith.

I see him being the surprise of training camp this year.

I will be surprised if Q. Smith is ready to go for training camp!

SR
07-21-2013, 10:32 AM
I will be surprised if Q. Smith is ready to go for training camp!

I think I remember reading something about him participating in individual drills during OTAs

atwater27
07-21-2013, 10:48 AM
Shaun Phillips. He will be the surprise Bronco of the year. and Wolfe will only get better, and start reminding us of Karl Meck

DenBronx
07-21-2013, 04:00 PM
Shaun Phillips. He will be the surprise Bronco of the year. and Wolfe will only get better, and start reminding us of Karl Meck

I hope Phillips puts up monster numbers. It will help justify letting Dumervil walk.

broncosfannum24
07-21-2013, 04:41 PM
Smoke...

SR
07-21-2013, 05:05 PM
Smoke...

...?

pnbronco
07-21-2013, 05:05 PM
Julius Thomas, he's been hurt a lot and is finally healthy.

Simple Jaded
07-21-2013, 09:22 PM
I hope Phillips puts up monster numbers. It will help justify letting Dumervil walk.

Dumervil's contract justifies letting him walk.

broncosfannum24
07-22-2013, 12:05 AM
Smoke.......

Softskull
07-22-2013, 07:55 AM
Julius Thomas, he's been hurt a lot and is finally healthy.

I had this same hope the last few years. My glass is half full again on JT.

CoachChaz
07-22-2013, 08:46 AM
If Thomas catches 15 balls all year...that will be a surprise

ShaneFalco
07-22-2013, 09:00 AM

gunna agree. Phillips will be awesome rushing with Von

ShaneFalco
07-22-2013, 09:01 AM

wasnt Doom drafted here? If he was, Regardless of contract, i think Broncos should keep the players they draft that are stars.

broncosfannum24
07-22-2013, 11:28 AM
Are you smoking yet?

DenBronx
07-22-2013, 03:40 PM

Not when we had a deal in place. You can't say it was a contract when he actually took a little less to play in Balt. We did offer him a contract but everyone took their sweet time agreeing. In the end, it was only Dumervil to blame.

iLands
07-22-2013, 07:58 PM
d.
r.
c.

Army Bronco
07-22-2013, 08:20 PM
Miller....if he actually used drugs.

Ravage!!!
07-23-2013, 10:10 AM
wasnt Doom drafted here? If he was, Regardless of contract, i think Broncos should keep the players they draft that are stars.

Not at that price. You can't simply pay "home drafted players" astronomical amounts purely for the sake of keeping them.

Ravage!!!
07-23-2013, 10:11 AM
Miller....if he actually used drugs.

Oh.. he used drugs alright. Miller is a great player...but he's a pot-head that can't seem to get off the loser-weed.

BroncoJoe
07-23-2013, 10:12 AM
Making millions with unlimited potential in front of you. Smoke weed - potentially cost you a lot.

Oh, but pot isn't addictive, right?

TXBRONC
07-23-2013, 12:20 PM

He doesn't have to catch 40 passes and 500 receiving yards to be a contributor.

Ravage!!!
07-23-2013, 12:44 PM

Well... that would depend on your definition. You have a good point. But if wee can see TRUE potential in Thomas, and he shows that he's much more of a matchup problem for teams over Tamme and Dressen...EVEN if he doesn't catch a ton of balls THIS season....... couldn't he still be considered a surprise contributor? I mean, if at the end of this season JThomas is the guy that is lining up at TE on passing situations, and his presence is allowing the rest of the offense to just friggin SHINE more because we have yet ANOTHER match-up difficulty for the opposing defense......then I can see him being the surprise player this year.

Well.. maybe. If all above goes as said.

LTC Pain
07-23-2013, 12:54 PM
Right now, Von "Dumbass" Miller is the surprise Bronco this season!

Bosco
07-23-2013, 01:04 PM
. If Thomas has a great camp and stays healthy I think tam me could be a surprise cut. He offers zero ad a blocker and Thomas upside is huge. Th lingering ankle issues are gone. Time to see what he's got. If he stays healthy he offers jimmy Graham type athleticism at the te. And please don't anyone say I'm comparing him to graham. I'm not but the size length and athleticism are very similar.

Tamme won't be going anywhere. He has great chemistry with Peyton and reading how the defense plays him is huge in this offense. If anyone gets cut, it would be Dreessen. Capable blocker and receiver but Virgil Green was taking snaps from him at the end of last season and is several years younger.

I'm going to go with Malik Jackson. Exceptionally versatile and very talented. Wasn't as impressive in college because he gained weight and moved inside where he had to two gap, but he is a natural one gapping pass rusher who can even play the under tackle in a pinch or obvious passing downs. Wouldn't surprise me to see him get close to double digit sacks.

broncohead
07-23-2013, 01:08 PM
It's not much of a prediction but I think Wolfe will tear it up especially with Von most likely to get suspended for the first 4 games.

mopatt24
07-23-2013, 01:20 PM
I think by mid-season Quanterus Smith and Danny Trevathon, could surprise. They're my picks. I almost wanna go with DRC though

ShaneFalco
07-23-2013, 05:32 PM
Making millions with unlimited potential in front of you. Smoke weed - potentially cost you a lot.

Oh, but pot isn't addictive, right?

Pot isnt addictive.

It does matter with sports because of the NFLs backwards rules. Like i could never look at Steve Jobs and tell him not to smoke because it would "limit his potential". But you probably could say that to Von, because the NFL wont let him play the game because he tokes up.

Simple Jaded
07-23-2013, 11:26 PM
The NFL won't let Miller toke up cause it's illegal, brah.

KC is a toilet
07-24-2013, 02:02 PM
I predict a Pro Bowl season for Julius Thomas. I just have a good feeling about Broncos TEs in their third year.

Ravage!!!
07-25-2013, 10:01 AM
Pot isnt addictive.

:lol: :lol:

TXBRONC
07-25-2013, 10:12 AM
:lol: :lol:

He sounds like alcoholics I know. "I can quit anytime I want."

TXBRONC
07-25-2013, 10:17 AM
I predict a Pro Bowl season for Julius Thomas. I just have a good feeling about Broncos TEs in their third year.

Make a noticable contribution seems doable but a pro bowl season? I doubt it.

Ravage!!!
07-25-2013, 10:24 AM
Make a noticable contribution seems doable but a pro bowl season? I doubt it.

Yeah... especially since that is a popularity contest. He would have to have a HUGE year that put him in a class that produced TOPS for Fantasy Football players in order to come out of nowhere and get a pro-bowl bid.

TXBRONC
07-25-2013, 10:33 AM
Tamme won't be going anywhere. He has great chemistry with Peyton and reading how the defense plays him is huge in this offense. If anyone gets cut, it would be Dreessen. Capable blocker and receiver but Virgil Green was taking snaps from him at the end of last season and is several years younger.

I'm going to go with Malik Jackson. Exceptionally versatile and very talented. Wasn't as impressive in college because he gained weight and moved inside where he had to two gap, but he is a natural one gapping pass rusher who can even play the under tackle in a pinch or obvious passing downs. Wouldn't surprise me to see him get close to double digit sacks.

Green was taking snaps away Dressen? No. If he was taking snaps away from Dressen anything more than just giving Dressen a breather he would come way with more than just two receptions in the last month of season. He came in primarily as blocker and at that it was sparingly.

Bosco
07-27-2013, 12:52 PM
He sounds like alcoholics I know. "I can quit anytime I want."

For the record, the general accepted consensus of the medical community is that marijuana is not physically addictive, but can be psychologically addictive. Even then, those rates are pretty low...like about one in several hundred IIRC.

Green was taking snaps away Dressen? No. If he was taking snaps away from Dressen anything more than just giving Dressen a breather he would come way with more than just two receptions in the last month of season. He came in primarily as blocker and at that it was sparingly. Two problems here. First, the numbers don't lie. In the first half of the season, Dreessen was taking >80% of the offensive snaps, sometimes as high as 91%. As the season went on and Green was brought in more and more, Dreessen's percentages went down. Second problem is that you're operating under the premise that snaps must equal targets and receptions, which as logical as it sounds just isn't the case.

Regardless, I doubt anyone is going anywhere. I imagine all four tight ends will be on the roster again this year.

TXBRONC
07-27-2013, 03:32 PM
For the record, the general accepted consensus of the medical community is that marijuana is not physically addictive, but can be psychologically addictive. Even then, those rates are pretty low...like about one in several hundred IIRC.

Two problems here. First, the numbers don't lie. In the first half of the season, Dreessen was taking >80% of the offensive snaps, sometimes as high as 91%. As the season went on and Green was brought in more and more, Dreessen's percentages went down. Second problem is that you're operating under the premise that snaps must equal targets and receptions, which as logical as it sounds just isn't the case.

Regardless, I doubt anyone is going anywhere. I imagine all four tight ends will be on the roster again this year.

Yeah want stats have you presented? None. Second I would question any souce you're sure it's inaccurate at best. He had five receptions on the year three in week three of the season and the two in week seventeen IIRC. So what excactly was he doing in place of Dressen? It sure wasn't to catch passes in offense that throws the ball about 60% of the time. That's pretty damn stupid to claim you don't look at targets and in an offense that throws ball as much as Denver's does. When he came in it was as primarily as a blocker. So souce if you actually have one is either shit or you have the guy. My guess is it's a little of both.

Bosco
07-27-2013, 03:46 PM
Yeah want stats have you presented? None. Second I would question any souce you're sure it's inaccurate at best. He had five receptions on the year three in week three of the season and the two in week seventeen IIRC. So what excactly was he doing in place of Dressen? It sure wasn't to catch passes in offense that throws the ball about 60% of the time. That's pretty damn stupid to claim you don't look at targets and in an offense that throws ball as much as Denver's does. When he came in it was as primarily as a blocker. So souce if you actually have one is either shit or you have the guy. My guess is it's a little of both.

Are you posting drunk?

TXBRONC
07-27-2013, 04:08 PM
Are you posting drunk?

No I don't drink.

You didn't present facts you just threw some numbers out there who knows where you got them from or if you just made them. If you didn't make them up your source is faulty as is your dumbass logic.

Bosco
07-27-2013, 05:10 PM
No I don't drink.

You didn't present facts you just threw some numbers out there who knows where you got them from or if you just made them. If you didn't make them up your source is faulty as is your dumbass logic.

Your poor grammar and spelling made your post hard to read and yes, made it seem like you were drunk. Also, can we dispense with me having to educate you on the difference between facts, statistics and opinion? I'm pretty sure I've done that with you, more than once in fact. I also love your impeccable logic in stating that I probably made up the numbers and if I didn't make them up then they are wrong. Reminds me of a graduated denial in a legal proceeding.

And you wonder why no one takes you seriously.

EDIT: Just FYI, there are a variety of sources that you can obtain the snap counts of NFL players. The joke that is Pro Football Focus being one of them (though they are not who I used) so it's not super secret information.

Hawgdriver
07-28-2013, 01:47 AM
Stat fight!

Simple Jaded
07-28-2013, 02:19 AM
I take you seriously TX.

Army Bronco
07-29-2013, 11:02 PM
OK.....after 5 days of camp, who do you think will be the surprise now???? I think Duke Ihenacho. It appears as though he is getting lots of 1st team reps.

Jsteve01
07-29-2013, 11:24 PM
loved Ihenacho coming out of college. seems to be used quite a bit in a hybrid backer safety role. We can always use multi tool players.

TXBRONC
07-29-2013, 11:51 PM
I take you seriously TX.

Thanks Jaded.