PDA

View Full Version : Where have elite corners gone?

Ravage!!!
07-16-2013, 09:59 AM
Where have elite corners gone?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9481187/why-elite-nfl-cornerbacks-become-scarce

...Which means finding an elite corner has never been more important. Denver has one, albeit an aging one, and still Baltimore beat Bailey for two touchdowns in the Ravens' playoff win over the Broncos in January. Bailey got exposed. It happens, even to the great ones.

"There's an art to being a defensive back, and it's a tough job," Fox said. "When you find one and you can defend half the field and isolate part of the field, it's a huge advantage defensively."

It is an advantage that teams now seldom have, because the elite corner has become a rarity.

OrangeHoof
07-16-2013, 10:57 AM
With more 3-WR and 4-WR, the effectiveness of a "shutdown corner" is reduced.

Ravage!!!
07-16-2013, 11:01 AM
With more 3-WR and 4-WR, the effectiveness of a "shutdown corner" is reduced.

I don't know if that is true. It means that the other team's top WR can still have a top corner...oR...you can put your top guy on a good#2, thus allowing the rest of the defense to put tighter brackets/zones around the others. I think the multiple WR sets makes a top "shutdown" that much more valuable.

BroncoJoe
07-16-2013, 01:05 PM

Moved to safety.

Slick
07-16-2013, 01:06 PM
The rule changes haven't really helped anyone playing defense over the last few years.

Ravage!!!
07-16-2013, 01:20 PM

Moved to safety.

Hah.... well.... not until they can't play corner anymore.

LTC Pain
07-16-2013, 08:28 PM
Wal-Mart????

dogfish
07-17-2013, 01:25 AM
The rule changes haven't really helped anyone playing defense over the last few years.

exactly. . .

it's been all downhill for defenses since the day they banned the headslap. . .

now, DBs not only have to be afraid of costly interference (or illegal contact, automatic 1st down) penalties, but also personal fouls if they try to separate the receiver from the ball. . . you look at all the rules in favor of the offense, and all the young QBs tearing it up, and honestly-- i think NFL corner may now be tied with QB as the toughest position in pro sports. . .

Poet
07-17-2013, 01:40 AM
At what point are they going to change some of the rules back? There are about three defenses that can actually stand up to the elite offenses in the NFL on a week-to-week basis.

OrangeHoof
07-17-2013, 08:09 AM
They won't change the rules back. Because of the concussion lawsuits, Goodell is trying to make the game into flag football.

rationalfan
07-17-2013, 11:04 AM
i have some problems with this article, mainly this: "It is an advantage that teams now seldom have, because the elite corner has become a rarity."

hasn't the elite corner always been a rarity? are there ever more than 3 to 4 of them in the league at a given time? perhaps i'm being too literal, but elite suggests the best of the best, not the top tier. i mean, it's not like there were 12 of them when deion sanders was in his prime.

thoughts?

Ravage!!!
07-17-2013, 11:12 AM
i have some problems with this article, mainly this: "It is an advantage that teams now seldom have, because the elite corner has become a rarity."

hasn't the elite corner always been a rarity? are there ever more than 3 to 4 of them in the league at a given time? perhaps i'm being too literal, but elite suggests the best of the best, not the top tier. i mean, it's not like there were 12 of them when deion sanders was in his prime.

thoughts?

Yeah.. I think you are being too literal.