PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Question on Manning's Potential Legacy as a Bronco

vandammage13
07-11-2013, 10:11 AM
Let's face it...Our team looks pretty stacked, and the AFC West looks like it will be fairly easy and very winnable for the next 2 seasons at least.

I'm not prediciting this will happen, but for the sake of discussion, let's say Manning exceeds expectations as far as longevity is concerned and plays at his accustomed HOF level for 4 more years, leading us to 3 Super Bowl victories.

What would that mean for Manning's legacy as a Bronco?...It would be hard to imagine him going into the HOF as a Bronco instead of a Colt, but with 3 SB's versus 1 SB as a Colt, would it be possible to remember Manning more as a Bronco than a Colt 10 years after he retires?

Furthermore, if he somehow did manage to lead us to 3 Super Bowl victories, would it be possible for him to supplant Elway as the greatest Bronco of all time?

Just a thought I had as I was thinking about the upcoming season and how we are the favorites (IMO) to come out of the AFC.

chazoe60
07-11-2013, 10:16 AM
In the NFL players don't enter the HOF as a member of a particular team. In the MLB HOF the busts made of the players fearure a baseball cap and the cap shows the logo of a particular team of which the player most closely is affiliated with, but the NFL does not work that way.

If Manning were to do as you describe I think he would be thought of as a Bronco first in this region but as a Colt first as you get closer to Indy. Nationally overall he would probably still be more closely linked with Indy, but a lot of it would hinge on how well Andrew Luck is doing.

Buff
07-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Next year will be Manning's last in a Broncos uniform. I just don't see us committing to a 40 year old QB.

chazoe60
07-11-2013, 10:17 AM
Next year will be Manning's last in a Broncos uniform. I just don't see us committing to a 40 year old QB.

If he's still playing at a high leve I see no reason why he can't finish out his contract if he still wants to play.

Ravage!!!
07-11-2013, 10:18 AM
Well, for one a player no longer goes to the HoF under a certain team. He' sjust a HoF player.

Also... There is no way anyone remembers Manning as more of a Bronco than a Colt. No matter what he accomplishes here. Manning put the Colts on the map after a LONG hiatus from being relevant. So no matter what, he will always be a Colt in everyone's eyes.

Which Brings me to the third point..... he could NEVER EVER suppliment Elway as the Greatest Bronco ever. Elway was here for 16 years and 5 Super Bowls. He IS the Denver Broncos, and Manning could never ... ever... diminish that title.

chazoe60
07-11-2013, 10:21 AM
Well, for one a player no longer goes to the HoF under a certain team. He' sjust a HoF player.

Also... There is no way anyone remembers Manning as more of a Bronco than a Colt. No matter what he accomplishes here. Manning put the Colts on the map after a LONG hiatus from being relevant. So no matter what, he will always be a Colt in everyone's eyes.

Which Brings me to the third point..... he could NEVER EVER suppliment Elway as the Greatest Bronco ever. Elway was here for 13 years and 5 Super Bowls. He IS the Denver Broncos, and Manning could never ... ever... diminish that title.

16 years Rav, pull yer head out.

SR
07-11-2013, 10:24 AM

You're high

Buff
07-11-2013, 10:31 AM
If he's still playing at a high leve I see no reason why he can't finish out his contract if he still wants to play.

You're high

His 2013 and 2014 salaries are guaranteed. But we can cut him after the 2014 season without being on the hook for his $20 million in 2015 and 2016.

If we win Back to Back superbowls as I'm anticipating - he will retire anyway. The way we've been structuring free agent contracts and bringing in young QBs, I think he's got a 2 year window.

Ravage!!!
07-11-2013, 10:34 AM

I agree with Chaz. Why wouldn't he? I mean, can you see Manning being that willing to simply hang up football because he's 40? I don't. That guy LIVES football. The way he's playing I see no reason to believe he won't be on the field for another 4 years. Just as I wouldn't be surprised to see Brady do the same thing.

Plus, if Manning is playing at the level he's at, even at 40, he's better than taking a chance on someone that isn't proven. Unless someone on the roster proves to be "the guy" enough for Elway to pull that trigger.... it would hbe hard to believe that we wouldn't go with the QB we know is a winner.

chazoe60
07-11-2013, 10:36 AM
His 2013 and 2014 salaries are guaranteed. But we can cut him after the 2014 season without being on the hook for his $20 million in 2015 and 2016.

If we win Back to Back superbowls as I'm anticipating - he will retire anyway. The way we've been structuring free agent contracts and bringing in young QBs, I think he's got a 2 year window.

If we win back to back SBs then Manning would be tied with Brady with 3 SB rings, I can almost guarantee yoh Manning would come back with the intent of completing a three-peat and cementing himself as the no-doubter GOAT.

Buff
07-11-2013, 10:38 AM
If we win back to back SBs then Manning would be tied with Brady with 3 SB rings, I can almost guarantee yoh Manning would come back with the intent of completing a three-peat and cementing himself as the no-doubter GOAT.

I'll take bets that he isn't our QB to start the 2014-2015 season.

Timmy!
07-11-2013, 11:38 AM
I'll take bets that he isn't our QB to start the 2014-2015 season.

So, just to be clear, you think he won't be our starter after this upcoming season (13-14)? In other words, Manning is gone from the Broncos after this year.

GEM
07-11-2013, 11:44 AM
Let's face it...Our team looks pretty stacked, and the AFC West looks like it will be fairly easy and very winnable for the next 2 seasons at least.

I'm not prediciting this will happen, but for the sake of discussion, let's say Manning exceeds expectations as far as longevity is concerned and plays at his accustomed HOF level for 4 more years, leading us to 3 Super Bowl victories.

What would that mean for Manning's legacy as a Bronco?...It would be hard to imagine him going into the HOF as a Bronco instead of a Colt, but with 3 SB's versus 1 SB as a Colt, would it be possible to remember Manning more as a Bronco than a Colt 10 years after he retires?

Furthermore, if he somehow did manage to lead us to 3 Super Bowl victories, would it be possible for him to supplant Elway as the greatest Bronco of all time?

Just a thought I had as I was thinking about the upcoming season and how we are the favorites (IMO) to come out of the AFC.

I got in a huge argument with my brother in law over this. He is from Indiana and a lifelong Colts fan. We fought about whose team was more stacked with Peyton on them. I said our team now COULD be stronger than any Indy team he played on, if only because our defense is 10 times better than any Indy ever fielded. Then I told him that if Peyton wins multiple SB's here, then his idea of him retiring a Colt and going into their front office could be in jeopardy. He about had a heart attack fighting me on the issue.

I still think he would probably retire a Colt but what a nice bunch of karma back in Irsay's face if he didn't. :laugh:

Buff
07-11-2013, 11:44 AM
So, just to be clear, you think he won't be our starter after this upcoming season (13-14)? In other words, Manning is gone from the Broncos after this year.

Whoops, I meant 2015-2016. He will play two more seasons for us - 3 total.

Timmy!
07-11-2013, 11:47 AM
Whoops, I meant 2015-2016. He will play two more seasons for us - 3 total.

U owe me Buffalo, somebody was about to rob u blind.

And I'm with u, this year and next is it methinks.

SR
07-11-2013, 11:59 AM

In you're anticipating back to back Super Bowls I have a feeling you're going to be disappointed

Buff
07-11-2013, 12:05 PM
In you're anticipating back to back Super Bowls I have a feeling you're going to be disappointed

That would fit with the ongoing theme in my life, but I'm keeping the faith nevertheless.

SR
07-11-2013, 12:18 PM
That would fit with the ongoing theme in my life, but I'm keeping the faith nevertheless.

I wish you the best, friend.

BroncoWave
07-11-2013, 12:22 PM
Who cares? I will remember him fondly. If he is still remembered as a Colt, so be it. Won't make the championships any less sweet.

vandammage13
07-11-2013, 01:07 PM

I anticipate a SB every year...Back to back to back to back......Just my way of thinking.

SR
07-11-2013, 01:09 PM
I anticipate a SB every year...Back to back to back to back......Just my way of thinking.

Sucks for you then!

vandammage13
07-11-2013, 01:11 PM
Sucks for you then!

It's worked out pretty good twice.

SR
07-11-2013, 01:17 PM
It's worked out pretty good twice.

In 40+ years. Terrible odds.

vandammage13
07-11-2013, 01:58 PM
In 40+ years. Terrible odds.

Ah but when it hits, its all the more sweet.

BroncoWave
07-11-2013, 02:06 PM
Ah but when it hits, its all the more sweet.

I think that's a terrible mindset to have a sports fan. I would rather not be pissed of for 38 out of 40 seasons. You can lower your expectations and still enjoy the titles just as much.

Seriously, what's the point in having monster expectations every year and getting let down 95% of the time? How is that fun?

The Glue Factory
07-11-2013, 02:15 PM
he could NEVER EVER suppliment Elway as the Greatest Bronco ever. Elway was here for 16 years and 5 Super Bowls. He IS the Denver Broncos, and Manning could never ... ever... diminish that title.

Quoted for divinely inspired truth. Sadly I can only high five this comment once.

DenBronx
07-11-2013, 02:19 PM

We are already commited to him.

DenBronx
07-11-2013, 02:24 PM
Which Brings me to the third point..... he could NEVER EVER suppliment Elway as the Greatest Bronco ever. Elway was here for 16 years and 5 Super Bowls. He IS the Denver Broncos, and Manning could never ... ever... diminish that title.

And even if Manning does win a SuperBowl here, Elway was the reason he came here in the first place. If no Elway then no Manning. Which gives Elway even more credit for helping us win SuperBowls or building championship teams. Dudes not even our QB anymore and he is making the Broncos elite.

Buff
07-11-2013, 02:37 PM
We are already commited to him.

His salaries for 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 are already guaranteed. However, 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 don't become fully guaranteed unless he is on the roster on the final day of the league year (which is like end of February 2015). So the team has given themselves an out if they want to go in another direction after the 2014-2015 season. Manning will be 39 at that point.

Dzone
07-11-2013, 02:50 PM
With PEDs, he could play at least a couple years longer. Even if its just HRT

DenBronx
07-11-2013, 03:49 PM
His salaries for 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 are already guaranteed. However, 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 don't become fully guaranteed unless he is on the roster on the final day of the league year (which is like end of February 2015). So the team has given themselves an out if they want to go in another direction after the 2014-2015 season. Manning will be 39 at that point.

Then we are deffinitely more than commited to him this year and next year. If Manning continues to play anywhere near the level he played last year this year and next year then we will deffinitely carry those last two years of his contract.

If he wins at least 1 SB in these next two years I could see him retiring and passing the torch to Brock. <------ That's the dream scenario. It will all hinge on him staying healthy or winning a championship. If Manning loses his touch and plays poorly these next two year then maybe we don't pick up those last two years. But I still wouldnt bet against Manning, even if he is 40 years old. He beats you with his mind and football knowledge. I can see Manning playing out his contract at a very high level so I wouldnt put anything past him Buff. He's shown no signs of slowing down, even with a neck injury.

Poet
07-11-2013, 07:14 PM
If Manning wins a SB this year in Denver, he's going to retire. He's far too intelligent of a football player to not hang'em up. He loves football and has a respect for the game that I've never seen in my lifetime. To Peyton Manning, how you leave the game matters. If he gets ring number two in Denver, he's done everything. Best pure passer of all-time? Yeah. Smartest quarterback of all time? Yeah. Only QB to slowly create his own personal system? Pretty sure he gets that one too. Dominant a league for a long time? Yeah.

Krugan
07-11-2013, 07:33 PM
I think that's a terrible mindset to have a sports fan. I would rather not be pissed of for 38 out of 40 seasons. You can lower your expectations and still enjoy the titles just as much.

Seriously, what's the point in having monster expectations every year and getting let down 95% of the time? How is that fun?

They play the game for a championship, every team comes into the season with the hope they win it all, why shouldnt a fan do the same thing.

I love the argument, though, I expect we win 9 games and are mid-pack good vs. I expect us to win it all every year, its why they play the game.

I EXPECT the team to compete for a Bowl every year, but I dont feel any more disappointment than anyone else when they dont do it.

Dapper Dan
07-11-2013, 09:42 PM
Everyone here is wrong.

Peyton Manning will always be thought of as a Tennessee Volunteer. And if he goes into football after retirement, he won't be in Denver, Indy, or even pro football. He'll do something at UT. That's where he spent his 4 years of college, and every year since (here and there). That's where a lot of his money goes, and that's where he's treated like a god. Manning will be to Indy what Favre was to Green Bay, and not much more. Obviously without the drama of Favre/GreenBay.

SR
07-11-2013, 09:48 PM
They play the game for a championship, every team comes into the season with the hope they win it all, why shouldnt a fan do the same thing.

I love the argument, though, I expect we win 9 games and are mid-pack good vs. I expect us to win it all every year, its why they play the game.

I EXPECT the team to compete for a Bowl every year, but I dont feel any more disappointment than anyone else when they dont do it.

Hope and expecting or anticipating are worlds different. Every sports fan hopes their team does well. Not every fan should anticipate a title every year. That's just dumb.

DenBronx
07-12-2013, 06:58 AM
If Manning wins a SB this year in Denver, he's going to retire. He's far too intelligent of a football player to not hang'em up. He loves football and has a respect for the game that I've never seen in my lifetime. To Peyton Manning, how you leave the game matters. If he gets ring number two in Denver, he's done everything. Best pure passer of all-time? Yeah. Smartest quarterback of all time? Yeah. Only QB to slowly create his own personal system? Pretty sure he gets that one too. Dominant a league for a long time? Yeah.

If he were to win one this year I am not so sure. He has everything surrounding him to go ahead and repeat. Why would he give up a chance to win yet one more??? Not to mention, 60 or so million reasons just waiting for you over 3 years.

DenBronx
07-12-2013, 07:01 AM
Everyone here is wrong.

Peyton Manning will always be thought of as a Tennessee Volunteer. And if he goes into football after retirement, he won't be in Denver, Indy, or even pro football. He'll do something at UT. That's where he spent his 4 years of college, and every year since (here and there). That's where a lot of his money goes, and that's where he's treated like a god. Manning will be to Indy what Favre was to Green Bay, and not much more. Obviously without the drama of Favre/GreenBay.

Wrong again, Peyton Manning will forever be known as an Isidore from Newman High School in New Orleans.

I win!!!

MasterShake
07-12-2013, 07:55 AM

If it was anyone but Manning I'd tend to agree with you, but man if he is just getting better (as he did over the course of the last season) then go year by year and get the The Great and Powerful Osweiler (TM 2013 MasterShake Inc) ready to step in and be the next Aaron Rodgers.

Krugan
07-12-2013, 09:25 AM
Hope and expecting or anticipating are worlds different. Every sports fan hopes their team does well. Not every fan should anticipate a title every year. That's just dumb.

Its not dumb by any means, unrealistic yes, but not dumb.

Expecting to win it every year is unrealistic, but before every season one should expect their chosen sports team to win a title, its the whole point of the season.

Of coarse I would be wrong to tell you other wise, its your choice what to set for your own expectations, I just think your selling yourself short by expecting less.

Again, the games are played for a title, not for small instances of growth. Im pretty sure every player is disappointed when the playoffs dont come or the trophy isnt in hand. Because they expected their hard work would get them there.

Anyway, my whole point here is, dont judge others so harshly for expectations. there is nothing wrong with lofty goals, its how great things are achieved. Even if its just from a recliner :)

TXBRONC
07-12-2013, 10:02 AM
Peyton is going to be remembered first and foremost as a Colt regardless of what he does in Denver by the general public. Elway will still be the best quarterback in Denver history because all of his career was spent in Broncos uniform. I don't see how he could be replaced given the fact of what he did over a longer period of time. As mentioned Manning has walked onto as you said stacked. Elway didn't have anything close to that until last three years of his career. Manning would hold a very special place in Denver history but I can't replacing Elway even he does lead to three Super Bowl wins.

Dapper Dan
07-12-2013, 01:47 PM
Wrong again, Peyton Manning will forever be known as an Isidore from Newman High School in New Orleans.

I win!!!

Bish, you cray.

SmilinAssasSin27
07-13-2013, 07:53 PM
Manning is a Colt

Lynch is a Buccaneer

Welker is a Patriot

see how this works

Dapper Dan
07-13-2013, 07:56 PM
Manning is a Colt

Lynch is a Buccaneer