View Full Version : Klis: Warning — Hope can take big hit

TXBRONC
09-06-2009, 08:15 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13279238

Klis: Warning — Hope can take big hit
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 09/06/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

There are always warnings, always reasons for hope.

The Detroit Lions have gone 7-1 in their past two preseasons. And they have gone 1-23 in their past two regular seasons, going back to their 44-7 drubbing of the Broncos in Week 8 of the 2007 season. (Neither head coach in that game, Rod Marinelli and Mike Shanahan, are head coaches in 2009).

In 2005, the Indianapolis Colts had an NFL-worst 0-5 record in the preseason, then went an NFL-best 14-2 in the regular season.

The preseason means nothing. And to Turk Schonert, Chan Gailey and Jeff Jagodzinski, the preseason means everything. These three offensive coordinators were fired last week, taking the fall for horrific quarterback play.

There were 121 players who threw passes this preseason. Buffalo's Trent Edwards, Tampa Bay's Josh Freeman and Kansas City's Tyler Thigpen ranked 106th, 107th and 113th, respectively. They combined for two touchdown passes and nine interceptions.

And so Buffalo fired Schonert, the Chiefs fired Gailey and Tampa Bay fired Jagodzinski.

Fair enough.

From the mixed message that is the NFL preseason, the trick is to figure out which performances should be ignored and which should be considered signs.

• Super Bowl XLIV: Packers vs. Colts: The Packers' starters played 5 1/2 quarters in their first three games and outscored the Browns, Bills and Cardinals by a combined 73-10. Aaron Rodgers could not have played better if he was quarterbacking against SMU, Eastern Michigan and Nicholls State.

The Colts were 1-3, which means all is well. They were 1-4 in 2008, 1-3 in 2007, 1-3 in 2006 (when they won the Super Bowl) and 0-5 in 2005.

Their combined preseason record the last five years: 4-18.

Their combined regular-season record the previous four years: 51-13.

Peyton Manning is back healthy and was sharp in the preseason (136.0 rating), and the Colts don't have to worry about keeping a washed-up Marvin Harrison happy this year.

My backup prediction: Miami vs. the New York Giants (the Bill Parcells Bowl).

• The Broncos' defense will improve from woeful to above average. In the 2007 preseason, the Broncos' defense ranked 27th. Don't worry, the Broncos said, it's only the preseason. They ranked 28th in points allowed during the regular season.

In the 2008 preseason, the Broncos' defense ranked 22nd. It ranked 29th during the regular season, 30th in points allowed.

During the just-completed preseason, the Broncos' new go-get- the-quarterback defense ranked seventh. They may not be a top-10 defense during the regular season, but the Broncos shouldn't finish 28th, 29th or 30th, either.

• It's time for New England to slip. Part of this is based on the percentages. In this decade of extreme NFL parity, the Patriots are overdue for at least a .500 record during this 21st century run of eight consecutive winning seasons, seven seasons of at least 10 wins, six playoff appearances, four Super Bowl appearances and three world titles.

Yes, Bill Belichick remains and Tom Brady is back healthy. But Belichick has taken some substantial hits to his deputy department in recent years, losing Scott Pioli, who helped him build the roster; Josh McDaniels, who called all the offensive plays; and Thomas Dimitroff, who led the scouting department.

• Don't be surprised by comebacks of Matt Leinart and Vince Young. The two quarterbacks selected ahead of Jay Cutler in the 2006 draft have been bashed as busts the past two years.

But Leinart and Young had encouraging preseasons, and both have aging quarterbacks ahead of them in Kurt Warner, 38, and Kerry Collins, 36.

Except for maybe John Elway, 35- something-year-old quarterbacks don't have back-to-back magical seasons.

skycoyote
09-06-2009, 08:40 AM
This article has no purpose, there's no point. I would think that there is a "ton" of good stories out there to write after pre-season. I'm quite positive that 3/4 of the members of this forum could write a better story than this; Klis you suck.

Dean
09-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Write one. I would be interested in reading it.

Ravage!!!
09-06-2009, 01:07 PM
This article has no purpose, there's no point. I would think that there is a "ton" of good stories out there to write after pre-season. I'm quite positive that 3/4 of the members of this forum could write a better story than this; Klis you suck.

what are you talking about, no purpose? How about just putting down some odd, yet interesting, stats. Are they proof of the future, no... yet we do know that patterns repeat.

I'm guessing the fact that he didn't talk about how the broncos are going to kick ass, it bothers you?

Kaylore
09-06-2009, 02:08 PM

Did you read the whole article or just the headline?

Tempus Fugit
09-06-2009, 02:16 PM
• It's time for New England to slip. Part of this is based on the percentages. In this decade of extreme NFL parity, the Patriots are overdue for at least a .500 record during this 21st century run of eight consecutive winning seasons, seven seasons of at least 10 wins, six playoff appearances, four Super Bowl appearances and three world titles.

This part seemed out of place and counter to what's been happening in New England.

Ravage!!!
09-06-2009, 02:24 PM
This part seemed out of place and counter to what's been happening in New England.

I'm not so sure. Their QB is coming off a big time injury... they lose a Vet safety, LB and now trade away Seymour. They traded away their one veteran QB back-up, and they still don't have much of a running game. Despite Cassel being a very mobile QB, he took more sacks and more hits than any other QB in the NFl last season (although we know Brady will fix most of those).. and Brady was already crunched hard enough in pre-season to get people scared.

Lonestar
09-06-2009, 02:35 PM
I'm not so sure. Their QB is coming off a big time injury... they lose a Vet safety, LB and now trade away Seymour. They traded away their one veteran QB back-up, and they still don't have much of a running game. Despite Cassel being a very mobile QB, he took more sacks and more hits than any other QB in the NFl last season (although we know Brady will fix most of those).. and Brady was already crunched hard enough in pre-season to get people scared.

they always have a spare parts on the shelf brace and the other kid will step in for Seymour I think counting on NE as a soft touch would be a mistake..

every time folks did so they have won a lot of games..

IIRC since Craft and Billy started out together, they have lost to trades or FA more pro bowlers than most teams have had.. not to mention coordinators.. think they have had like two losing seasons since the Robert and Billy program started and those were early..

Tempus Fugit
09-06-2009, 07:08 PM

They were 6th in the league in rushing yards, 7th in average, and 1st in first downs and first down percentage. They ran for more yards last year than they had in 20 years even with a ridiculous spate of injuries to the position, so I don't know where you're getting the notion about the team not having much of a running game.

They just had 4 picks in the second round, all of whom look promising. They've got another pick in the first round next season plus another 3 picks in the second round, and they got a first rounder in 2011 in the Seymour trade. Last year's draft produced the defensive rookie of the year. Every player taken in this past draft either made the team or went to the practice squad.

The article had some valid points. The paragraph about the Patriots was not among them.