PDA

View Full Version : Broncos All-Time Underrated and Overrated.

Simple Jaded
07-08-2013, 10:53 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000215179/article/denver-broncos-alltime-underrated-overrated-players

Anybody lookin to punk on Craig Morton has clearly never heard of Zane Beadles and Ben Hamilton.

Dzone
07-08-2013, 11:10 PM
Yes, the brown and yellow uniforms with vertical socks are totally underrated...Those unis are badass :coffee:

BroncoWave
07-08-2013, 11:22 PM
They left Peyton Hillis off the overrated list. At least by our own fanbase.

Dzone
07-08-2013, 11:22 PM
Any underrated Bronco poll without Randy Gradisar and Terrell Davis is an absolute joke...I cant believe they left those two names off that poll...ridiculous..and these are professional sports writers?
Comparing Romo to Fonzie? comeon, get real

Poet
07-09-2013, 12:04 AM
How is Terrell Davis underrated?

KC is a toilet
07-09-2013, 01:36 AM
Romanowski being on the overrated list is a joke. The 8-8 2001 season was kind of a bland year for the Broncos, not much to cheer about. But I vividly remember Romo going all-out in those games. The next year Mike Shanahan let him go to make way for Ian Gold and Romo goes to Oakland and kicks our ass and helps lead them to the Super Bowl. In 2002, he broke Shannon Sharpe's arm in the first MNF game and got a key late sack on Steve Beuerlein in the week 16 game to seal the division for them.

Underrated: Riley Odoms (Physical TE ahead of his time), Al Denson, Lionel Taylor (one of the forgotten greats of the AFL), Charley Johnson, Otis Armstrong

KC is a toilet
07-09-2013, 01:38 AM

Not really. Running backs have a short shelf life. Hillis was in his prime from 2008-10 and Denver couldn't fully cash in on his strong window. He would have been a hell of a player but oh well. He's just a RB. We have fresher legs now.

Simple Jaded
07-09-2013, 01:56 AM
Romo was, and still is, a ginormous bag of douche, it's impossible to overstate that.

Simple Jaded
07-09-2013, 02:03 AM
Oh btw, toilet brings up one Denver's most overrated players of all time, Ian Gold. Denver got a 3rd round comp pick for losing one of the worst tacklers of his generation, that qualifies him for the list alone.

KC is a toilet
07-09-2013, 03:02 AM
Romo was, and still is, a ginormous bag of douche, it's impossible to overstate that.

Romanowski didn't take his career for granted, he did everything in his power to help the team and he left everything on the field. He can play on my team at any time.

Dapper Dan
07-09-2013, 07:28 AM
Meh. Whatever. I'll always like Morton.

These lists are, more than likely, pure opinion. Maybe they should have conducted a poll or something.

Dreadnought
07-09-2013, 09:04 AM
Pure hackery. None of the guy listed as underrated are, in fact, all that underrated. Elway is in the HOF, Rod Smith and Karl Mecklenberg are arguably HOF guys (in my homer view they belong there), Tom Jackson was very, very good indeed, but only the third best LBer on the Orange Crush (Gradishar and Swenson were better)...and "the offensive line" under Shanahan? They were great, and everyone knew they were great. This list was lazy.

Craig Morton took us to multiple AFC West championships and threw one of the best long balls I've ever seen. By the time we got him his mobility was shot, and he struggled behind an undersized line of human turnstiles with a pedestrian running game in support. To call him "overrated" is idiotic. Tebow played all of one full season with us, and was reasonably and surprisingly successful. Nobody not named Bullgator claimed much more than that, so to call him "overrated" says that the writer is either under 25 or a herd follower. Griese was en route to a fine career before his shoulder was ruined versus the Raiders - but he was never claimed to be elite in any way, again making the "overrated" charge lame.

My own Underrated/Overrated list. Note that in order to be underrated I think you have to be fairly obscure now. In order to be overrated somebody (not just selected loonies) must have thought you were good or talented at some point.

Underrated

WR Steve Watson. Best pure hands WR we ever had IMO, and had a terrific career YPC, which argues that the knock against him as just a "possession" receiver is more a function of the assumption by lazy sportswriters that all white WR's are somehow "possession" receivers. Led the NFL in reception yards in a superb breakout 1981 season.

RB Mike Anderson Tore up the League in 2000, played well subsequently, but was in a sort of unfair holding pattern as we waited for TD to recover from his multiple knee injuries.

QB Charley Johnson Came to Denver at the end of his career, and finally made the Broncos a winner. Led one of the most prolific passing attacks of the NFL in 1973 - a pure shock for a Denver fan at that stage!

CB Louis Wright Best pure cover CB of the 70's IMO. Nothing happened on his side of the field because nobody ever threw there. Too few people remember him now.

TE Riley Odoms The pass receiving skills of Shannon Sharpe combined with the blocking and size of Clarence Kay. Odoms was about the most complete TE I've ever watched.

Overrated

QB Steve Tensi How do I count this forgettable stiff as overrated? Because the Broncos traded two number one picks for him, that's how. He was supposedly going to be "The Guy", but the Chargers rogered us good, fobbing off their second string QB on us based upon his college rep and arm strength. Tensi was handed the starting job, started intermittently from 1967 to 1970 (whenever he could stay off the DL) and sucked pretty much throughout. Even Josh Mcdaniels never made a trade as bad as the Tensi trade.

The Three Amigos He at least got this one right. None were all that good, with Vance Johnson being the most overrated of the bunch. A gimmicky name for three mediocre WR's.

RB Sammy Winder Another reason our offense had trouble scoring in the 80's was its plodding unimaginative running attack, usually anchored on Sammy Winder. Winder had a good work ethic, a good attitude, and a great TD dance, but he really had neither speed, not size, nor elusiveness. His lack of production forced John Elway to win a lot of games all on his lonesome.

LB D.J. Williams The best LB on maybe the worst LBing Corps the Broncos ever fielded - and amongst the worst ever fielded by any pro team. Williams was athletic and made a lot of tackles, but was about as undisruptive as he could be, as he forced few fumbles, interceptions, sacks, tackles for loss, or big hits. As far as leadership goes I never saw any evidence of any.

BroncoJoe
07-09-2013, 09:08 AM
Steve Sewell was/is very underrated.

iLands
07-09-2013, 09:15 AM
Underrated: Tim Tebow

*dodges tomatoes from the general public and glass shards from Jaded*

SR
07-09-2013, 09:26 AM
Underrated: Tim Tebow

*dodges tomatoes from the general public and glass shards from Jaded*

Obviously this is wrong.

OrangeHoof
07-09-2013, 09:52 AM
Wouldn't the most underrated players be underrated and thus not show up on the list?

Without looking at the article, I nominate Kragen.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-09-2013, 09:57 AM
Wouldn't the most underrated players be underrated and thus not show up on the list?

Without looking at the article, I nominate Kragen.

I always thought Kragen was overrated. He made one or two probowls because he got a lot of tackles from the NT position. The problem was how often he was 5 yards down field making those tackles.

chazoe60
07-09-2013, 10:18 AM
Speaking just about guys on the SB winning teams

Underrated
Mike Lodish
Keith Traylor
Darrien Gordon
Allen Aldridge
Howard griffith

Overrated
Can't think of any ;)

When I say underrated I'm talking mostly about on a national level. Bronco fans know and appreciate all those guys but I think most football fans don't realize how vital they were to those teams' success.

OrangeHoof
07-09-2013, 10:58 AM

Considering he was a first-round pick, I don't think he was underrated at all. Overdrafted, maybe.

rationalfan
07-09-2013, 11:06 AM
y'all gotta drop the fan goggles to read this thing. it's not written for broncos fans, it's written for football fans. while guys like smith and jackson might be viewed as heroes here, do you think fans in buffalo or pittsburgh really know, think or care about anybody in denver who wasn't a pro bowler or newsmaker?

it's a good list. personally, i LOVE the elway underrated inclusion. the idea that brady or montana is considered a greater QB still irritates me. i also really like the three amigos overrated. those guys were average, at best, but attained some type of cult status because of the catchy name. whenever i think of broncos receivers from that era i go straight to the anecdote about how elway pleaded with dan reeves to draft carl pickens because he needed a receiver, then reeves took tommy maddox.

BroncoJoe
07-09-2013, 11:07 AM
Considering he was a first-round pick, I don't think he was underrated at all. Overdrafted, maybe.

Pick 26 out of 28 in the first round, but yes he was a first round pick.

He was vastly underutilized. It seemed to me that every time he was in a game, he would do something special. One of the first hybrid backs who was probably a better receiver than RB.

Dzone
07-09-2013, 11:10 AM
Billy Thompson, underrated.
Dennis Smith
Steve Atwater
Louis Wright

Northman
07-09-2013, 11:15 AM
Pure hackery. None of the guy listed as underrated are, in fact, all that underrated. Elway is in the HOF, Rod Smith and Karl Mecklenberg are arguably HOF guys (in my homer view they belong there), Tom Jackson was very, very good indeed, but only the third best LBer on the Orange Crush (Gradishar and Swenson were better)...and "the offensive line" under Shanahan? They were great, and everyone knew they were great. This list was lazy.

Craig Morton took us to multiple AFC West championships and threw one of the best long balls I've ever seen. By the time we got him his mobility was shot, and he struggled behind an undersized line of human turnstiles with a pedestrian running game in support. To call him "overrated" is idiotic. Tebow played all of one full season with us, and was reasonably and surprisingly successful. Nobody not named Bullgator claimed much more than that, so to call him "overrated" says that the writer is either under 25 or a herd follower. Griese was en route to a fine career before his shoulder was ruined versus the Raiders - but he was never claimed to be elite in any way, again making the "overrated" charge lame.

My own Underrated/Overrated list. Note that in order to be underrated I think you have to be fairly obscure now. In order to be overrated somebody (not just selected loonies) must have thought you were good or talented at some point.

Underrated

WR Steve Watson. Best pure hands WR we ever had IMO, and had a terrific career YPC, which argues that the knock against him as just a "possession" receiver is more a function of the assumption by lazy sportswriters that all white WR's are somehow "possession" receivers. Led the NFL in reception yards in a superb breakout 1981 season.

RB Mike Anderson Tore up the League in 2000, played well subsequently, but was in a sort of unfair holding pattern as we waited for TD to recover from his multiple knee injuries.

QB Charley Johnson Came to Denver at the end of his career, and finally made the Broncos a winner. Led one of the most prolific passing attacks of the NFL in 1973 - a pure shock for a Denver fan at that stage!

CB Louis Wright Best pure cover CB of the 70's IMO. Nothing happened on his side of the field because nobody ever threw there. Too few people remember him now.

TE Riley Odoms The pass receiving skills of Shannon Sharpe combined with the blocking and size of Clarence Kay. Odoms was about the most complete TE I've ever watched.

Overrated

QB Steve Tensi How do I count this forgettable stiff as overrated? Because the Broncos traded two number one picks for him, that's how. He was supposedly going to be "The Guy", but the Chargers rogered us good, fobbing off their second string QB on us based upon his college rep and arm strength. Tensi was handed the starting job, started intermittently from 1967 to 1970 (whenever he could stay off the DL) and sucked pretty much throughout. Even Josh Mcdaniels never made a trade as bad as the Tensi trade.

The Three Amigos He at least got this one right. None were all that good, with Vance Johnson being the most overrated of the bunch. A gimmicky name for three mediocre WR's.

RB Sammy Winder Another reason our offense had trouble scoring in the 80's was its plodding unimaginative running attack, usually anchored on Sammy Winder. Winder had a good work ethic, a good attitude, and a great TD dance, but he really had neither speed, not size, nor elusiveness. His lack of production forced John Elway to win a lot of games all on his lonesome.

LB D.J. Williams The best LB on maybe the worst LBing Corps the Broncos ever fielded - and amongst the worst ever fielded by any pro team. Williams was athletic and made a lot of tackles, but was about as undisruptive as he could be, as he forced few fumbles, interceptions, sacks, tackles for loss, or big hits. As far as leadership goes I never saw any evidence of any.

Outside of a couple names i just never witnessed or new much about i agree with all of this.

Northman
07-09-2013, 11:15 AM

Still one of my favorite players to this day.

Northman
07-09-2013, 11:17 AM

Underrated
Mike Lodish
Keith Traylor
Darrien Gordon
Allen Aldridge
Howard griffith

Overrated
Can't think of any ;)

When I say underrated I'm talking mostly about on a national level. Bronco fans know and appreciate all those guys but I think most football fans don't realize how vital they were to those teams' success.

Griffith and Gordon are so underrated its criminal.

Ravage!!!
07-09-2013, 11:53 AM
Griffith and Gordon are so underrated its criminal.

Howard Griffith was MONEY. That guy was always there when you needed him to be. I absolutely LOVE Howard Griffith, one of my favorite players on those teams.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-09-2013, 12:08 PM

Underrated
Mike Lodish
Keith Traylor
Darrien Gordon
Allen Aldridge
Howard griffith

Overrated
Can't think of any ;)

Keith Traylor was the MVP of the KC playoff game the first year we won the SB. That dude's mother had just passed away and he played like a man who was obsessed. He was making plays in the backfield the whole game, and without him we probably wouldn't have won that game. It's kind of funny to think the Broncos originally drafted him as a LB, and by the end of his career he was a 340 lb NT. :laugh:

OrangeHoof
07-09-2013, 12:09 PM
He was vastly underutilized.

This I will agree with but while Sewell and Willhite were playing together, they were too similar for either to star.

Ravage!!!
07-09-2013, 12:11 PM
Keith Traylor was the MVP of the KC playoff game the first year we won the SB. That dude's mother had just passed away and he played like a man who was obsessed. He was making plays in the backfield the whole game, and without him we probably wouldn't have won that game. It's kind of funny to think the Broncos originally drafted him as a LB, and by the end of his career he was a 340 lb NT. :laugh:

Not to mention he played for the Chiefs before coming BACK to the Broncos.

BroncoWave
07-09-2013, 12:12 PM
y'all gotta drop the fan goggles to read this thing. it's not written for broncos fans, it's written for football fans. while guys like smith and jackson might be viewed as heroes here, do you think fans in buffalo or pittsburgh really know, think or care about anybody in denver who wasn't a pro bowler or newsmaker?

it's a good list. personally, i LOVE the elway underrated inclusion. the idea that brady or montana is considered a greater QB still irritates me. i also really like the three amigos overrated. those guys were average, at best, but attained some type of cult status because of the catchy name. whenever i think of broncos receivers from that era i go straight to the anecdote about how elway pleaded with dan reeves to draft carl pickens because he needed a receiver, then reeves took tommy maddox.

Good point. If you poll the average non-Broncos fan they probably couldn't tell you anything about any former Bronco other than Elway, Sharpe, and Davis IMO.

Slick
07-09-2013, 12:42 PM

Every time he made a play I would cheer " That was for Mom, Keith!"

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Not to mention he played for the Chiefs before coming BACK to the Broncos.

I believe he was with the Chiefs the year prior to that. It made that game all that much more special. :D

topscribe
07-09-2013, 12:57 PM
I thought Hillis did a good job when he was here. :shrugs:

Dreadnought
07-09-2013, 01:11 PM

No kidding. Averaged 4.9 YPC when he did get a shot, just wasn't ever really given much of one. Hillis is to BTB what Elway was to Jagsbch and the White Whale was to Captain Ahab.

topscribe
07-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Okay, I'm about to get overrun by a fusillade of flame-throwers. But I believe
the most underrated player ever to don a Broncos uniform is Kyle Orton.

This guy was pillaged from the moment he stepped off the plane from Chicago.
Was he Peyton Manning or John Elway? Not only no, but hell no. But he
showed what he could do during the only 11 games he was healthy in 2010.
During that stretch, he averaged 306 yards a game, passing for 20 TDs
against 6 INTs, for a 96.0 passer rating. People point to the 4-12 year, that
year, but they conveniently ignore that the Broncos had the last place
defense and near last place running game.

Orton's main weakness is he could not stay healthy, and the Broncos need
quarterbacks who can stay healthy. But he did his job, if only for 11 games.

:I will not answer any responses to this. I will not. I will not: ​:mad:

Dreadnought
07-09-2013, 01:25 PM

:tsk:

chazoe60
07-09-2013, 01:26 PM

:laugh: you know my thoughts. :laugh:

turftoad
07-09-2013, 02:23 PM
Simon Fletcher for me.

Fletcher played for the Denver Broncos for his entire NFL career from 1985-1995. In his 11 year career he recorded a Denver Broncos record 97.5 sacks, two interceptions, and 10 fumble recoveries. He shares the NFL record (DeMarcus Ware) for most consecutive games with a sack with 10.

How could a guy have double digit sacks 5 years in a row and not make a Pro Bowl?? He's not even in the Ring of Fame!!

Now, that is underrated my friends.

topscribe
07-09-2013, 02:30 PM
Simon Fletcher for me.

Fletcher played for the Denver Broncos for his entire NFL career from 1985-1995. In his 11 year career he recorded a Denver Broncos record 97.5 sacks, two interceptions, and 10 fumble recoveries. He shares the NFL record (DeMarcus Ware) for most consecutive games with a sack with 10.

How could a guy have double digit sacks 5 years in a row and not make a Pro Bowl?? He's not even in the Ring of Fame!!

Good catch. Fletcher is so underrated that I didn't think of him. And DE is
my position (well, was about 179 years ago).

GEM
07-09-2013, 02:35 PM
Oh btw, toilet brings up one Denver's most overrated players of all time, Ian Gold. Denver got a 3rd round comp pick for losing one of the worst tacklers of his generation, that qualifies him for the list alone.

The fact that Gold flipped off Quitterson on national tv makes up for some of that. :lol:

GEM
07-09-2013, 02:40 PM

Two words for ya....

Jake Plummer.

topscribe
07-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Two words for ya....

Jake Plummer.
Yup. I can remember the hate spewed his way. While he was leading the
Broncos to three playoffs in a row.

And I can remember the day Shanny benched him for Cutler . . . :mad:

Poet
07-09-2013, 03:19 PM
Your most underrated player of all time was Tim Tebow. He willed you guys to a playoff win.

Dreadnought
07-09-2013, 03:19 PM
Yup. I can remember the hate spewed his way. While he was leading the
Broncos to three playoffs in a row.

And I can remember the day Shanny benched him for Cutler . . . :mad:

I still loathe Jake Plummer to this day. I won't even pretend that its entirely fair or rational. I just hated his style, and I hated watching him play more often than not.

topscribe
07-09-2013, 03:40 PM
I still loathe Jake Plummer to this day. I won't even pretend that its entirely fair or rational. I just hated his style, and I hated watching him play more often than not.
Dread, you're one of my favorite posters. So would you take it personally if I
gave you Stone Cold Steve Austin's favorite gesture? :D

rationalfan
07-09-2013, 03:40 PM
Simon Fletcher for me.

post of the thread. he's probably a top ten broncos player - ever. and yet, many fans don't ever think of him.

Northman
07-09-2013, 03:57 PM

http://s.lunaticoutpost.com/upload/big/2013/06/06/51b11f23cc41a.jpg

Northman
07-09-2013, 03:58 PM
No kidding. Averaged 4.9 YPC when he did get a shot, just wasn't ever really given much of one. Hillis is to BTB what Elway was to Jagsbch and the White Whale was to Captain Ahab.

Yea, but BTB doesnt obsess about anybody...errr....wait.... :lol:

Northman
07-09-2013, 03:59 PM

Oh Top, 2 steps forward, 10 steps back.... lol

BroncoWave
07-09-2013, 04:40 PM
Yea, but BTB doesnt obsess about anybody...errr....wait.... :lol:

Not nearly as much as you obsess over me. :lol:

Simple Jaded
07-09-2013, 09:33 PM
Romanowski didn't take his career for granted, he did everything in his power to help the team and he left everything on the field. He can play on my team at any time.

Ok, that AND he's a ginormous bag of douche.

Simple Jaded
07-09-2013, 09:43 PM
Kyle Orton was both, he was overrated til they drafted Tebow, instantaneously Orton became underrated. Proving, yet again, that Broncos fans really know their QB's.

chazoe60
07-09-2013, 10:36 PM
Jaded's obsession with Tebow is underrated. Seriously dude, let it go. I swear you could figure out a way to link our Jax loss to Tebow. Holy shit, I think you may have a problem.

topscribe
07-09-2013, 10:45 PM
Jaded's obsession with Tebow is underrated. Seriously dude, let it go. I swear you could figure out a way to link our Jax loss to Tebow. Holy shit, I think you may have a problem.
Aw, Chaz, leave him alone. Shoot, he's the last guy to salute me.

After my Orton comment, they're getting kind of scarce . . . :laugh:

chazoe60
07-09-2013, 10:45 PM
Aw, Chaz, leave him alone. Shoot, he's the last guy to salute me . . .

Not now. ;)

I think I've been duped.

Simple Jaded
07-09-2013, 10:46 PM

What are you talking about, that was a rip on Broncos fans, not Tebow. In no way, shape or form was that a shot at Tebow. Orton was actually considered a starter until they drafted Tebow by nearly everyone, afterwords he was every Broncos fans punching bag. This is 100% true. Holy shit is right, totally holy shit.

Btw, why would I let it go if it still gets the reaction I am aiming for?

topscribe
07-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Not now. ;)

I think I've been duped.
Sucka :D