PDA

View Full Version : Matt Russell apparently joins a growing list of idiots in the NFL

topscribe
07-08-2013, 03:20 PM
Apparently blitzed to the gills, Russell apparently got into an
accident, left the scene, then crashed into the back of a
Breckenridge patrol car.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2013/07/08/broncos-player-personnel-director-arrested/

BroncoJoe
07-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Dear God.

Davii
07-08-2013, 03:25 PM
What a dipshit. I wonder what the norm for an executive doing something dumb is, think his job is in trouble?

topscribe
07-08-2013, 03:27 PM
What a dipshit. I wonder what the norm for an executive doing something dumb is, think his job is in trouble?
Yeah, I can picture Elway firing his ass . . .

OrangeHoof
07-08-2013, 03:27 PM
“Any time anybody is impaired and hits a fully-marked police car that person should not have been driving in the first place,” said Colorado State Trooper Nate Reid.

Um. Yeah. Can't disagree with this. So drunk you hit a cop car...

SR
07-08-2013, 03:28 PM
I have no respect for him now. Hopefully he gets shit canned

OrangeHoof
07-08-2013, 03:29 PM
At least there is proof that it isn't just the players who do unspeakably stupid crap when not on the field.

rationalfan
07-08-2013, 03:33 PM
At least there is proof that it isn't just the players who do unspeakably stupid crap when not on the field.

HUMANS do stupid crap. comes with the DNA.

Slick
07-08-2013, 03:35 PM
Man, that sucks. What a dummy.

topscribe
07-08-2013, 03:37 PM
When Fox said he hopes everyone behaves himself, I don't imagine he was
thinking of what amounts to the acting GM! :tsk:

underrated29
07-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Man, it just seems like having something in you car, like a portable bed, that could be rolled up and unrolled to sleep in.that would be such a good idea. Someone should invent something like this.

Ziggy
07-08-2013, 03:41 PM
This is the time of year NFL front offices worry the most about players.

But those front offices aren’t exempt from the concern, either.

According to CBS4 in Denver, Broncos director of player personnel Matt Russell was arrested and jailed over the weekend on charges including DUI and crashing into a police car.

According to the report, Russell was involved in an accident in the town of Frisco, and then crashed into a police car in the nearby town of Breckenridge. An officer who was in the car was hospitalized with what was described as minor injuries.

“Any time anybody is impaired and hits a fully-marked police car that person should not have been driving in the first place,” said Colorado State Trooper Nate Reid. “It’s a dangerous profession.”

Russell was charged with driving under the influence, careless driving resulting in injury, having an open container of alcohol in his car, and failure to display proof of insurance.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/08/broncos-exec-arrested-for-dui-crashing-into-police-car/

Idiot.

topscribe
07-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Man, it just seems like having something in you car, like a portable bed, that could be rolled up and u rolled to sleep I. And so Ed up would be such a good idea. Someone should invent something like this.
It would seem there are already some handy inventions -- you know, such as
the taxi cab, the telephone . . .

WTE
07-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Looks like you guys have your share of criminals too.

Dzone
07-08-2013, 03:57 PM
What a dumbass...

KC is a toilet
07-08-2013, 03:59 PM
It doesn't look good, but Matt Russell is good at his job. This doesn't change that fact. You don't mess around with talent acquisition in the NFL. That is the life blood of a NFL franchise. Give him a second chance.

aberdien
07-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Driving while drunk is one of the most stupid and selfish things a human can do. What a jackass.

KC is a toilet
07-08-2013, 04:27 PM
Driving while drunk is one of the most stupid and selfish things a human can do. What a jackass.

That's easy for you to say behind a keyboard. I would say the odds are likely that you have gotten behind the wheel and driven drunk at one time.

Yeah, it looks bad, when you put the story in context, it's freaking Breckenridge, Colo.! What non-working adult over 21 is not drunk in that town past noon? That place is all about fun and getting away from the grind.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-08-2013, 04:51 PM
The Denver Broncos and the club's Director of Player Personnel Matt Russell released statements Monday.

DENVER BRONCOS:

“Our organization is extremely disappointed and concerned with the incident involving Matt Russell. We immediately expressed our disappointment to Matt, and he is fully aware of the seriousness of this situation. This type of behavior is unacceptable and very troubling. We expect better from all employees, particularly those in leadership positions. These allegations completely contradict the values and beliefs of the Broncos regarding social responsibility.

“We are continuing to gather information and will handle this matter appropriately and in accordance with all NFL policies.”

MATT RUSSELL:

“I deeply regret the poor judgment I demonstrated that resulted in my arrest over the weekend. I apologize to the Denver Broncos, our fans and the National Football League for this inexcusable mistake. I’m ashamed that I represented this region and the Broncos organization in the manner that I did. I take complete responsibility for my actions and will be fully accountable. Going forward, I will take steps to ensure this never happens again.”\

http://prod.www.broncos.clubs.nfl.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Statements-from-Broncos-and-Russell/14ea3703-f664-41da-9842-b0b08dccdb5e

underrated29
07-08-2013, 05:09 PM

Ours are at least smart enough to find the police after they commit the crime!

Dapper Dan
07-08-2013, 05:40 PM
I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but when you're in any type of leadership role, you can't do this stuff. Your influence on others will slip away.

Nomad
07-08-2013, 06:11 PM
I guess I'm not a good fan, I didn't know who Matt Russell was:lol:

ShaneFalco
07-08-2013, 06:55 PM
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/photo/2013/07/08/0ap1000000216829.jpg

Day1BroncoFan
07-08-2013, 07:00 PM
:facepalm:

LTC Pain
07-08-2013, 07:10 PM

Murder and DUI/stupid are miles apart.

WTE
07-08-2013, 07:17 PM
Murder and DUI/stupid are miles apart.

Not much of a difference if you're behind the wheel cocked off your ass. He's lucky he didn't kill the cop.

Dzone
07-08-2013, 07:46 PM
Make an example of him by firing his sorry ass. But, Then he will immediately get hired by Oakland and tell them all our secrets

aberdien
07-08-2013, 09:32 PM
That's easy for you to say behind a keyboard. I would say the odds are likely that you have gotten behind the wheel and driven drunk at one time.

Even if I have, that wouldn't make it any less stupid and selfish of me to do. When you're driving drunk you risk the lives of all of the innocent people on the roads with you. It's just a stupid thing to do.

Dapper Dan
07-08-2013, 10:17 PM
I'm not going to talk all kinds of crap about this guy. It seems to be one mistake. If he does it again, then I'll call him an idiot. Sober human beings don't choose to drink and drive, drunks do. It happens. It's not excusable, but it happens to a lot of people. The people that don't learn from it are the idiots. Hopefully he doesn't make a history of it. This is me looking at him as a person. I still stand by what I said earlier. A man in his position just can't do this. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets fired. Plenty of people have been fired for a lot less.

topscribe
07-08-2013, 10:36 PM
I'm not going to talk all kinds of crap about this guy. It seems to be one mistake. If he does it again, then I'll call him an idiot. Sober human beings don't choose to drink and drive, drunks do. It happens. It's not excusable, but it happens to a lot of people. The people that don't learn from it are the idiots. Hopefully he doesn't make a history of it. This is me looking at him as a person. I still stand by what I said earlier. A man in his position just can't do this. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets fired. Plenty of people have been fired for a lot less.
He was an idiot for what he did. Straight up. How old is he? If he is so bright
with player talent, can he not parse the law?

I wouldn't be surprised if Russell were right on the cusp of getting fired. He went
a long way toward forcing the Broncos' hands. They might be tempted to fire him
to save face in the league. If they keep him, they're flying in the face of that.

He is indeed valuable to the Broncos, evidenced by his lofty position with them.
But that might put even more pressure on the Broncos. What would that look
like for them to keep him?

Elway probably hasn't yet made up his mind, but I can see how he has a very
tough decision ahead of him.

Army Bronco
07-08-2013, 11:05 PM
I have no respect for him now. Hopefully he gets shit canned it would be unconstitutional to fire him. That would violate the 35th.3rd amendment. This has something to do with the Gov and the NSA. He has the right to drive drunk. Its not his fault the cop car was in his way!! oh, and the Patriots still suck.

Simple Jaded
07-08-2013, 11:09 PM
Not much of a difference if you're behind the wheel cocked off your ass. He's lucky he didn't kill the cop.

"Cocked" and "ass", aren't you still talking about the Patriots?

Dzone
07-08-2013, 11:42 PM
Suspending him without pay will just hurt the broncos..well, maybe he can just work from home for a couple months and check in with elway via skype...he can come in after hours and clean the restrooms for his pubic service hours

KC is a toilet
07-09-2013, 01:42 AM
Even if I have, that wouldn't make it any less stupid and selfish of me to do. When you're driving drunk you risk the lives of all of the innocent people on the roads with you. It's just a stupid thing to do.

Thanks for letting us know that, Captain ****** Obvious. Could you be anymore self righteous and annoying?

KC is a toilet
07-09-2013, 01:44 AM
I hope they keep him like Nolan Ryan did with Ron Washington after he got popped for coke.

Simple Jaded
07-09-2013, 01:53 AM
Thanks for letting us know that, Captain ****** Obvious. Could you be anymore self righteous and annoying?

.......t('_').......

aberdien
07-09-2013, 01:57 AM

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b173/pejidapimp/ew.gif

Poet
07-09-2013, 03:57 AM

Yeah, it looks bad, when you put the story in context, it's freaking Breckenridge, Colo.! What non-working adult over 21 is not drunk in that town past noon? That place is all about fun and getting away from the grind.

So what you're saying is that what he did was okay? That's easy for you to say behind a keyboard. I would say that the odds are likely that Abe hasn't gotten behind the wheel and driven drunk one time.

Yeah, it looks bad, but when you put the story in context, it still looks bad, even though it's freaking Breckenridge, Colorado. What non-working adult over 21 is not drunk in that town past noon? hat place is all about fun and getting away from the grind...even though DUI laws still apply there regardless of the town's reputation.

tomjonesrocks
07-09-2013, 04:43 AM
40 mph DUI crash hit and run with a police officer...very nice.

Even if the Broncos felt he was just too valuable to fire, wouldn't Russell be looking at a little time in jail for this?

Maybe I am underestimating the magic of $$$ with probation...

And Peppermint Schnapps? Really?

iLands
07-09-2013, 06:45 AM
when you're driving...you risk the lives of all of the...people on the roads with you.

ftfy

Dzone
07-09-2013, 07:07 AM
with a .08 bac limit, 2 drinks puts you in DUI territory...

Dapper Dan
07-09-2013, 07:25 AM
with a .08 bac limit, 2 drinks puts you in DUI territory...

Possible. I had two drinks and had a .05. Of course, everyone is different. So I could see someone having two drinks and being at .08. What was his bac? Was that released?

iLands
07-09-2013, 09:14 AM
.2something

OrangeHoof
07-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Make an example of him by firing his sorry ass. But, Then he will immediately get hired by Oakland and tell them all our secrets

And what secrets are those? How our personnel people got a boner for Ronnie Hillman? I don't think there is any great mystery to most of our personnel moves. Peyton's offense. Del Rio's defense. Pretty easy to figure.

LTC Pain
07-09-2013, 09:53 AM
Fire the bitch!

Ravage!!!
07-09-2013, 10:22 AM

what kind of secrets could he tell them that would make a difference? "they are about to sign Clady...shhhhh." "THe bathrooms are kinda blue in color."

I jest, but you know what I'm saying. Not much he could really share.

Slick
07-09-2013, 10:32 AM
This is really a bummer. I like our front office right now. I hope they don't fire Matt, but I wouldn't blame them if they did. Front office guys can't be making mistakes like this.

Loved him as a player at CU. He was a stud.

topscribe
07-09-2013, 10:53 AM
That wasn't necessary . . . :tsk:

Ravage!!!
07-09-2013, 11:11 AM
I can see that some want to "fire him" immediately, but I don't see it. I mean, of course I can understand the "public relations" perspective in firing him. After all, drinking and driving is a very hot topic. But on the same hand, not everyone is the "you made a mistake and I'm going to punish you for it" frame of mind. Elway and Bowlen both know this guy. They work with him, and probably have dined with him and his family.

This isn't some kind of murder charge. This isn't armed robbery or beating someone to death. IF he had killed someone, the story changes completely and everything is out the window. But although drinking and driving is very serious, its not something that SHOULD automatically can your career.

If he's done a good job at what he is hired for, then I can see him keeping his position with a VERY tight noose already hanging at the gallows.

topscribe
07-09-2013, 11:55 AM
I can see that some want to "fire him" immediately, but I don't see it. I mean, of course I can understand the "public relations" perspective in firing him. After all, drinking and driving is a very hot topic. But on the same hand, not everyone is the "you made a mistake and I'm going to punish you for it" frame of mind. Elway and Bowlen both know this guy. They work with him, and probably have dined with him and his family.

This isn't some kind of murder charge. This isn't armed robbery or beating someone to death. IF he had killed someone, the story changes completely and everything is out the window. But although drinking and driving is very serious, its not something that SHOULD automatically can your career.

If he's done a good job at what he is hired for, then I can see him keeping his position with a VERY tight noose already hanging at the gallows.
If Elway fires Russell, he will be firing a close friend. I understand they are very
close. However, I don't believe that will be the reason Elway keeps him, if he
does. Elway is all Denver Broncos. I trust Elway's wisdom and judgment in this
case and will support whatever he does . . .

Dzone
07-09-2013, 12:05 PM
How good is Russell at his job compared to others who would replace him? Is his ability to evaluate talent superior to others in the same job on other teams? I know he has a good reputation, but how good is he?
Talk radio is discussing that Goodell will come down harder on a team staff member than players. So it could be suspension without pay. Who knows

Ravage!!!
07-09-2013, 12:10 PM
If Elway fires Russell, he will be firing a close friend. I understand they are very
close. However, I don't believe that will be the reason Elway keeps him, if he
does. Elway is all Denver Broncos. I trust Elway's wisdom and judgment in this
case and will support whatever he does . . .

Right. But part of being a good leader is showing that you aren't simply going to throw you out and turn you back on you the minute you make a mistake. If it's a mistake that the Broncos just "can't live with"... is one thing. If it was a mistake that would completely embarrass the franchise (like a Vick or Hernandez), that's one thing. But a DUI, imo, just doesn't fit into that category. I believe Elway will look at the MAN and his work before purely basing off the charge.

Rick
07-09-2013, 12:17 PM
I wonder who will suspend Goodell the first time he is an idiot and drives drunk.

I would say a large percentage of people that drink have at some point jumped behind a wheel with no regard for how much they actually drank.

Not saying I condone it, but saying realistically...people **** up sometimes, you need to look at history not always a single stupid event.

Simple Jaded
07-09-2013, 09:57 PM
Possible. I had two drinks and had a .05. Of course, everyone is different. So I could see someone having two drinks and being at .08. What was his bac? Was that released?

.24! I'm impressed that he could even find his car, much less the cars ignition.

topscribe
07-09-2013, 10:02 PM
.24! I'm impressed that he could even find his car, much less the cars ignition.
Seriously? He must have crawled to the car . . .

Dapper Dan
07-09-2013, 10:32 PM
Wow. That's insane.

Simple Jaded
07-09-2013, 10:38 PM
Point.......two.......four.

Klit had said it was .21, but heard .24 on radio today. Either way dude was wrecked.

chazoe60
07-09-2013, 10:43 PM
Hey Topper, when you were a younger man was it illegal to drink and drive a horse and buggy?

topscribe
07-09-2013, 10:47 PM
Hey Topper, when you were a younger man was it illegal to drink and drive a horse and buggy?
I don't know. Never concerned myself with that.

I let the horse drink with me, and neither one of us cared after that . . .

Denver Native (Carol)
07-12-2013, 10:27 AM
The Denver Broncos are riding a wave of bad publicity following the revelation that two prominent front-office executives have been arrested on driving under the influence charges in the past month.

It's unclear how the team will choose to discipline director of pro personnel Tom Heckert and director of player personnel Matt Russell, but Broncos president Joe Ellis said Thursday that any apologies from the two men are not enough.

"We're not perfect. We've made our errors. We admit," Ellis told The Associated Press. "You can say we apologized for it -- but I think an apology rings hollow when you run into the back of a police car or you're blowing a blood-alcohol limit that's three times the legal limit. I don't think fans, I don't think the public, I don't think anybody wants to hear an apology."

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000217429/article/denver-broncos-joe-ellis-dui-apologies-ring-hollow

Poet
07-12-2013, 04:16 PM
Honesty has to be appreciated.

Dzone
07-12-2013, 09:06 PM
How about a sliding scale for duis
3X over the legal limit= 3 year suspension without pay
2X over the legal limit= 2 years off with no pay

Ok, ok too harsh, but something needs to be done to stop this insanity,,,how about a lifetime ban from football for 2nd DUI?

Dapper Dan
07-12-2013, 09:07 PM
How about a sliding scale for duis
3X over the legal limit= 3 year suspension without pay
2X over the legal limit= 2 years off with no pay

Ok, ok too harsh, but something needs to be done to stop this insanity,,,how about a lifetime ban from football for 2nd DUI?

I think that's unique to gambling only

Davii
07-15-2013, 02:00 PM
Suspensions without pay for both. Heckert for 30 days, indefinite for Russell. They will undergo treatment and their employment will be reevaluated.

Link (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000217882/article/denver-broncos-suspend-matt-russell-tom-heckert)

Cugel
07-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Once again, in Russell's case a LOT will depend on his possible sentence (I am discounting the possibility of his being found not-guilty).

Running into a parked police car will not help. Hitting another car and being well over .21 will not help his case.

What kind of imbecile gets that blind drunk and then tries to drive? It's one thing to think "I only had a few and I can still drive." WRONG!

But, when you can barely stand up? He's much more likely to get a severe sentence.

And that will probably cost him his job.