PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian soccer ref beheaded and head planted at midfield!

Davii
07-07-2013, 03:31 PM
This is sickening, the whole story. I can't fathom what makes people act in such a way. I mean, this is a soccer game that breaks out into violence, the ref kills a player, he then get killed, ripped into quarters, and his head placed on a pole midfield. Are you kidding me? Go to a soccer game and a radical moslem insurgency breaks out!

Link (http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/07/07/brazil-soccer-referee-killed-during-match-his-head-displayed-on-stake-midfield/?test=latestnews)

spikerman
07-07-2013, 03:37 PM
I just realized that I don't think I'm getting paid enough.

Davii
07-07-2013, 03:41 PM
I just realized that I don't think I'm getting paid enough.

Leave the pocket knife at home!

spikerman
07-07-2013, 03:44 PM
Leave the pocket knife at home!

Ummm, this is Texas, I carry a gun.

SR
07-07-2013, 03:53 PM
That sounds like some shit that would happen in Iraq when Saddam's sons ran soccer in the country.

BigDaddyBronco
07-07-2013, 07:00 PM
The video was pretty messed up. The world cup could be exciting....

BroncoWave
07-07-2013, 07:20 PM
The video was pretty messed up. The world cup could be exciting....

I don't think this will be indicative of how the World Cup will be. From what I read, this was some small league and the ref was a teenager who wasn't even a certified ref. It's not like this was a pro ref in a major Brazilian match.

aberdien
07-07-2013, 07:45 PM
This was an amateur league and has nothing to do with Muslims.

South Americans are the most frighteningly passionate soccer fans in the world. This seems like more of a heat of the moment type of thing, but back in the day the drug cartel leaders controlled the way that games against South American teams turned out. Pablo Escobar while backing his club financially would attempt to bribe the refs to make a call that would lead to his team's victory, while the opposing team likely was in the pockets of a different cartel leader and would do the same, leading to a bidding war. At that point, the ref is pretty much in a lose-lose proposition, because whichever bribe he did not take would get pissed and murder him after the game. I'm sure there is still some element of that going on too.

But the World Cup will not be like this.

spikerman
07-07-2013, 07:48 PM
I think the Muslim reference and the World Cup remark were meant to be jokes.

OrangeHoof
07-07-2013, 08:31 PM
Futbol is a sport of peace.

OrangeHoof
07-07-2013, 08:35 PM
Speaking of the World Cup, it is true that the Colombian defender who scored an "own goal" that resulted in a loss to the U.S. in a past World Cup match was murdered by gamblers after he came back to Columbia.

BTW, Brazil is also hosting the next Summer Olympics, remember?

aberdien
07-07-2013, 08:46 PM
I think the Muslim reference and the World Cup remark were meant to be jokes.
I figured but I have already talked to people who have said these things non-jokingly, probably because they are geographically challenged ha.

Speaking of the World Cup, it is true that the Colombian defender who scored an "own goal" that resulted in a loss to the U.S. in a past World Cup match was murdered by gamblers after he came back to Columbia.

BTW, Brazil is also hosting the next Summer Olympics, remember?

It is uncertain whether he was killed because of the own goal or if he was killed because of just an altercation between him and some guys at the night club he was at. But yes, Andres Escobar was murdered, and it was after he had scored an own goal against the US in the 1994 World Cup. And it is also true that the whole Columbian team received death threats while they were in their US hotels because they weren't performing up to their high expectations. Regardless, South America is a place where you don't want to wear the wrong jersey for sure.

aberdien
07-07-2013, 08:51 PM
Here's the ESPN 30 for 30 about Pablo and Andres Escobar, and how the drug trade corrupted soccer in South America. It's absolutely enthralling.

b7KL4jl5p7s