PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Clady, team brass resuming contract talks

Denver Native (Carol)
07-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Ryan Clady has proven to be as tough at the bargaining table as he is on pass rushers.

The somewhat monotonous but extremely serious issue that is Clady's contract negotiations move to the center table this week at Broncos headquarters.

If a multiyear contract extension is not done by July 15, two things happen. One, the Pro Bowl offensive tackle must play the 2013 season on a one-year, $9.823 million salary that came when the Broncos placed the franchise tag on him.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23612482/ryan-clady-team-brass-resuming-contract-talks

SR
07-07-2013, 10:22 AM
Hopefully something gets worked out. If not, hopefully he signs the franchise tag and doesn't hold out.

SoCalImport
07-08-2013, 04:56 AM
I am confident that they will get this done.

LTC Pain
07-08-2013, 09:16 AM
I read somewhere that Clady's agent rejected the 5 year/$50M deal offered last year by Elway because it didn't have as much guaranteed money up front as Joe Thomas' deal. Hope they can get this worked out before camp :)

TXBRONC
07-08-2013, 10:40 AM
Hopefully something gets worked out. If not, hopefully he signs the franchise tag and doesn't hold out.

He has said he would sing the franchise tag tender if a new contract cannot be worked out but that remains to be seen.

Dzone
07-08-2013, 12:30 PM
seems like this clady stuff has been dragging on for years

jhildebrand
07-08-2013, 02:28 PM
Word is it wont get done.

underrated29
07-08-2013, 02:34 PM
Word is it wont get done.

From who?
Tell them to not use a fax machine this time.

Ziggy
07-08-2013, 02:45 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 2h
Clady's side believed to be asking for 12m-plus per year, more than the Thomas deal. Not sure what the Broncos have countered with.

I wouldn't pay Clady more than Joe Thomas even if he wasn't coming off of shoulder surgery.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi

Pretty wide gap between the Broncos offer to Clady and the agent's demands. Agent looking to make him highest paid LT in the league

SR
07-08-2013, 05:15 PM

Pretty wide gap between the Broncos offer to Clady and the agent's demands. Agent looking to make him highest paid LT in the league

That's bad news

Denver Native (Carol)
07-08-2013, 05:24 PM
Contract negotiations between the Denver Broncos and left tackle Ryan Clady resumed Monday with the team sweetening its offer. An NFL source said the Broncos improved their five-year, $50 million proposal from a year ago.

The proposal would make Clady either the NFL's second-highest paid offensive lineman to Cleveland Browns left tackle Joe Thomas or third-highest depending on how one views Jason Peters' contract with the Philadelphia Eagles.

The players union says Peters' extension is worth $12.5 million a year. But because that was tacked on to two years of an existing contract, management considers his deal worth about $10 million a year.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23620951/ryan-clady-contract-talks-progress-broncos-sweeten-deal

Poet
07-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Someone will make Clady the highest paid LT in the game.

Dallas.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-09-2013, 12:25 AM
Someone will make Clady the highest paid LT in the game.

Dallas.

That would suck.

Simple Jaded
07-09-2013, 02:19 AM
Then trade Clady to Dallas for Tyron Smith and Sean Lee. Let Dallas worry about Clady's ego.

Poet
07-09-2013, 02:47 AM
Clady is a top five LT looking to get a payday in his prime. By all accounts, shouldn't he be looking to get the biggest deal? I know I would be. This is football, you only get a few big contracts and your money now has to support you for the rest of your life. I'm not saying that the players do not make enough cash. But I know it's a very much a reality and someone is going to give it to me.

TXBRONC
07-09-2013, 09:16 AM
Then trade Clady to Dallas for Tyron Smith and Sean Lee. Let Dallas worry about Clady's ego.

Neither one of them is as good as Clady.

CoachChaz
07-09-2013, 10:17 AM
Neither one of them is as good as Clady.

Given proper coaching and a solid supporting cast and Tyron Smith is a VERY good LT. His talent has yet to be untapped in Dallas. Is he Clady? Maybe not. But he can be VERY good.

As far as Sean Lee goes...I want to see him A.) play a full season and B.) show he can handle the MLB spot in a 4-3...before I would make any trade involving him.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-09-2013, 10:44 AM

I'm told Broncos have offered Clady 3yrs, 33-million in guarantees. The Clady camp looking for Joe Thomas numbers, 3-yrs, 40-plus.

SR
07-09-2013, 11:25 AM

I'm told Broncos have offered Clady 3yrs, 33-million in guarantees. The Clady camp looking for Joe Thomas numbers, 3-yrs, 40-plus.

Jesus...

Rick
07-09-2013, 11:32 AM
Broncos will need to cave eventually.

What are they going to replace him with if he leaves? It is not like they with Doom where they can try and make up for it with a pass rush by committee, who are they going to sign to replace him that will be a significant discount and put up similar production?

GEM
07-09-2013, 11:33 AM
The problem with Clady is he is looking for the money Joe Thomas got a few seasons ago. After watching FA this year, the money just isn't the same as a few seasons ago. $33 Mil today is equivalent to Joe Thomas money a few seasons ago.

I don't want Clady testing the waters, but I think he and his people are being a bit bull headed.

On top of the fact that Clady, while being very good, hasn't been the same since the knee surgery. He never had holding penalties and the last season he was pretty high on them.

Ravage!!!
07-09-2013, 11:51 AM
True, the FA money doesn't seem to be as high, but..... we don't want Clady testing the FA market. Someone will offer him more. Now before we say "yeah, but we can do without"...sure we can. But at what cost?

Is the 2 million a year worth the drop and trying to find a top LT again? :whoknows: Not sure. Considering the LT is considered one of the top positions after QB, its a difficult question considering EVERY team in the NFL wants a top LT. The Chiefs just used the #1 overall pick in the draft on one.

Is Clady being greedy? Probably. But I don't blame him for doing whatever he can that is best for him.

GEM
07-09-2013, 12:01 PM
The market isn't at $40+Mil. There should be a happy medium for both parties that is still within today's market. $36-37 Mil.

Ravage!!!
07-09-2013, 12:02 PM
The market isn't at $40+Mil. There should be a happy medium for both parties that is still within today's market. $36-37 Mil.

I think that will be the case. But the market is what you make it. If the Broncos decide to offer 40 million (they won't).. then the market is again at 40 million. Where that between number is will be interesting to see how they work it out. Maybe through obtainable incentives, or larger bonuses for pro-bowls. Thus making up the difference. But guaranteed money is what players are looking for, and when you have a premiere player at a premiere position...................

Simple Jaded
07-09-2013, 10:06 PM
Put it this way, Clady is looking for more gauranteed money than Matthew Stafford just got.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-09-2013, 10:15 PM

Just to clear things up regarding the Clady deal, when I say 3yrs, 33-mill, we're talking guarantees. The contract could run 4, 5, 7 years.

Davii
07-09-2013, 10:17 PM
I think this deal gets done with about 36 million guaranteed, obviously it'll be 5 years, blah blah, but I think 3/36 guaranteed will get it done. Of course Clady and his management wants more but they're not stupid, they see what the market is at.

Besides, even if the deal doesn't get done he goes nowhere for two seasons, we can use the franchise tag again next year.....

jhildebrand
07-09-2013, 11:56 PM
The Joe Thomas deal was a bad deal by a bad team. That shouldn't be the mark unless Clady and his camp are only about the money. If that is the case I am sure he can find a perennial bottom dweller to pay him to be on a crappy team the rest of his career.

Poet
07-09-2013, 11:57 PM
The Joe Thomas deal was a bad deal by a bad team. That shouldn't be the mark unless Clady and his camp are only about the money. If that is the case I am sure he can find a perennial bottom dweller to pay him to be on a crappy team the rest of his career.

Joe Thomas is regarded as the best LT in football hands down. He's been the best LT in football since he came into the league. He was going to get that money elsewhere.

Ravage!!!
07-10-2013, 10:55 AM

"He's only about the money." EVERY player is about the money. It's why they play. THe great players get paid, and they want to get paid like great players.

If you think that a player won't go play for a lesser team for MILLIONs more, than you are foolish. But what good would that do the Broncos?

rationalfan
07-10-2013, 11:18 AM
"He's only about the money." EVERY player is about the money. It's why they play. THe great players get paid, and they want to get paid like great players.

If you think that a player won't go play for a lesser team for MILLIONs more, than you are foolish. But what good would that do the Broncos?

no doubt. sometimes fans can forget not every NFL player likes playing football. but if you're good at it, and you make a good wage, why not do it? then, it certainly is about the money. not saying clady doesn't enjoy playing football, just speaking generally.

also, sometimes the money thing is about competition - you want to be the best, get paid like the best; you want respect, get paid in a way that shows people respect you.

personally, if clady is healthy, pay him what joe thomas makes. even if clady is the highest paid tackle in the nfl this year, he won't be in two years. the natural inflation of these contracts could make a deal struck this year seem reasonable in 2015.

Poet
07-10-2013, 04:14 PM

It's almost as if they're a commodity with a short shelf life who has to use said shelf life to support himself for the rest of his life.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-12-2013, 04:53 PM
The Denver Broncos have yet to hammer out a long-term deal with left tackle Ryan Clady, who remains unsigned with training camp on the immediate horizon. Peyton Manning doesn't sound concerned.

"I think any quarterback would tell you they want their left tackle to be signed and secured," the quarterback said Friday at the Manning Passing Academy in Thibodaux, La. "I feel like that will happen. That's the business side of it, there's two sides to it. I think everybody knows how important he is to us."

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000217537/article/peyton-manning-confident-ryan-clady-deal-gets-done

ShaneFalco
07-12-2013, 05:45 PM
ask manning to take a paycut.

tomjonesrocks
07-12-2013, 06:12 PM
I don't feel like it gets done. Just a hunch. Seems like Clady wants every last dime and Denver has so many players that need paydays in the next couple years.

Manning probably retires after Clady gets franchised the second time anyway.

SR
07-12-2013, 06:31 PM
ask manning to take a paycut.

What relevance does that have?

Davii
07-12-2013, 07:23 PM
What relevance does that have?

None. You do realize who you're speaking to, right?

SR
07-12-2013, 07:26 PM
None. You do realize who you're speaking to, right?

Oh yeah

Denver Native (Carol)
07-12-2013, 08:24 PM
There has been progress in contract negotiations between Ryan Clady and the Broncos, according to two NFL sources close to each party.

Although there is no agreement, the sides are getting closer to finding common ground on several key issues for a contract that would allow the Broncos to keep their All-Pro left tackle for the next five years at a sum greater than $50 million.

A potential breakthrough in negotiations came when there appeared to be agreement on the guaranteed portion of the contract, the sources said. The sides are still haggling over dollars in annual and total value.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23651943/ryan-clady-broncos-getting-close-new-contract-sources

SR
07-12-2013, 09:05 PM
Gotta be done this weekend!

Denver Native (Carol)
07-12-2013, 09:19 PM

I'm told the Clady camp had a good exchange with the Broncos today. Promising.

Simple Jaded
07-12-2013, 10:29 PM
They should sign Clady and then make him take a pay cut too.

jhildebrand
07-12-2013, 10:50 PM

The point I was making, and you missed, is Clady's camp is clearly set on the Thomas deal as the high water mark and the contract to base Clady's deal on. They shouldn't be. It was a bad deal by a bad team.

Of course players are all about the money. However, plenty have taken deals for les $ to be with perennial contenders i.e. the Pats. Here is one that clearly states Jake Long took less to play with St. Louis. For some players it is about the right environment, scheme, coaches, or even city. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000151497/article/jake-long-signs-34m-contract-with-st-louis-rams Some players are willing to provide a hometown discount to the team that drafted them. Even then, I am not saying Clady needs to give the Broncos a discount. Actually he should due to the stupid basketball injury and how much that cost the Broncos. I digress.

All I am saying is the Thomas deal is not the deal Clady's camp should be basing his deal on. It was a bad contract from the start.

jhildebrand
They should sign Clady and then make him take a pay cut too.

After they move him to safety

:lol:

Dzone
Is Clady actually better than Joe Thomas?

Poet
07-13-2013, 03:09 AM
Again, the argument that the Thomas signing was a bad move by a bad team fails.

Elite left tackles get paid insane money. Thomas was going to get that money from another team. Regardless of the matter, the market is set. If Clady takes less, he's leaving money on the table. In leagues that make money and increase the salary cap, salaries go up.

SR
07-13-2013, 08:49 AM
Is Clady actually better than Joe Thomas?

No.

Ravage!!!
07-13-2013, 09:40 AM
Doesn't matter if Clady is better than, or worse than, Thomas. Thomas doesn't play for our team.

The question is: Is Clady AS valuable to the Broncos as Thomas is to the Browns? I Clady a top LT? Because if he is, he's goign to get paid top money.

I just heard on ESPN that he Broncos have increased their offer by 500k. I also heard that NO PLAYER that is set to be franchise tagged has signed a long term contract this year..... although Clady and the Broncos seem to be the closest. Seems players are willing to take the tag and then test the market rather than accept the lower offers this season.

LTC Pain
07-13-2013, 10:46 AM
FOX Sports' Mike Garafolo reports there is "optimism growing" the Broncos will lock up franchise player LT Ryan Clady to a long-term deal. Gettur done #7!!!

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/264153/optimism-broncos-will-lock-up-lt-ryan-clady

Simple Jaded
07-13-2013, 10:58 AM
Again, the argument that the Thomas signing was a bad move by a bad team fails.

Elite left tackles get paid insane money. Thomas was going to get that money from another team. Regardless of the matter, the market is set. If Clady takes less, he's leaving money on the table. In leagues that make money and increase the salary cap, salaries go up.

Iirc the cap hasn't gone up significantly in years, down one year, up a couple Mil the next.

Dzone
07-13-2013, 12:01 PM
1Duane Brown
2Joe Staley
3russell Okung
4.Joe Thomas
5Ryan Clady
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1444308-br-nfl-1000-top-35-left-tackles/page/32

Denver Native (Carol)
07-13-2013, 05:45 PM
The Denver Broncos offered to add $2.5 million to the five-year, $50 million contract they proposal to left tackle Ryan Clady last year, according to ESPN.

The new offer would add $500,000 annually to Clady, who is unsigned.

rest - http://sports.yahoo.com/news/broncos-add-2-5-million-211018685--nfl.html

Denver Native (Carol)
07-13-2013, 05:53 PM
Appears to me it is time for the Clady camp to just sign the contract. So far, everything I have read is the Broncos giving in, with no giving in on the Clady side.

Simple Jaded
07-13-2013, 06:25 PM
Appears to me it is time for the Clady camp to just sign the contract. So far, everything I have read is the Broncos giving in, with no giving in on the Clady side.
I haven't heard what was in Clady's latest proposal but I'd feel better about the situation if both sides were making concessions.

Army Bronco
07-13-2013, 09:38 PM
I hope there is no fax involved

Dapper Dan
07-13-2013, 11:09 PM
Is 50mill over 5 years not fair?

Davii
07-13-2013, 11:27 PM
Is 50mill over 5 years not fair?

The question is, what's the guaranteed? If the guaranteed portion is 32 mill then probably not.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-14-2013, 11:25 AM
The question is, what's the guaranteed? If the guaranteed portion is 32 mill then probably not.

That's what most people seem to keep overlooking. Most contracts are never fullfilled to their full value. The #1 concern to the players is the guaranteed money.

MOtorboat
07-14-2013, 11:50 AM
The Broncos will need to guarantee 40-45 mill for this to happen.

spikerman
07-14-2013, 11:51 AM
Today is the deadline. Is the silence a good thing or a bad thing?

turftoad
07-14-2013, 12:03 PM
I just want us to get this thing done so it doesn't linger into next year too.

Traveler
07-14-2013, 12:06 PM

Thought Monday at 3:15 pm was the deadline. Just hope they finalize a deal.

jhildebrand
07-14-2013, 12:53 PM
Tomorrow is the deadline.

They will announce the discipline for the frat boys and quickly follow it up with the Clady signing.

LTC Pain
07-14-2013, 12:56 PM
More details of the Broncos FO latest offer to Clady.

According to ESPN's John Clayton, the Broncos' "sweetened" contract offer to franchise player Ryan Clady consists of $500,000 more in annual value.

The Broncos seem to have leaked this information nationally in an effort to pressure Clady's camp. The old offer was $50 million over five years. The new proposal is worth $52.5 million at the same length, and Clayton reports the Broncos are willing to "guarantee significantly more than 50 percent of the contract," making it an awfully enticing offer. We wouldn't be surprised if a long-term Clady deal was announced Sunday afternoon or early Monday.

Source: ESPN.com

Denver Native (Carol)
07-14-2013, 03:14 PM
The Denver Broncos and franchised left tackle Ryan Clady have until 4 p.m. ET on Monday, July 15 to reach agreement on a multi-year contract. With the deadline approaching, the Broncos have increased their offer, John Clayton of ESPN.com reports.

According to Clayton, the Broncos have been offering Clady a five-year contract worth $50 million, but have increased their offer to $52.5 million and are willing to guarantee "significantly more" than 50 percent of the deal. Albert Breer of the NFL Network has reported that the Broncos' offer includes $33 million in guaranteed money over the first three seasons of the deal.

If Clady does not accept the Broncos' offer by Monday's deadline, he will likely play out the season under the one-year franchise tag worth $9.828 million in fully guaranteed base salary. Clady earned over just over $17 million in his five-year rookie contract, including $3.5 million in base salary in 2012.

rest - http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/broncos-reportedly-increase-offer-sign-ryan-clady-191035483.html

Denver Native (Carol)
07-14-2013, 07:02 PM

I hate giving play-by-play of contract negotiations. But that's why they invented Twitter. Broncos and Clady "very close to a deal".

Denver Native (Carol)
07-14-2013, 07:06 PM
First thing Monday morning, the Broncos, their left tackle Ryan Clady and his agent Pat Dye Jr. should each send a test fax transmission.

No sense waiting till the last minute, right fellas?

The two sides will wake up on deadline day very close to an agreement on a five-year contract extension that would make Clady one the NFL's top three highest-paid offensive lineman, according to sources on both sides.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23659776/ryan-clady-broncos-close-new-contract-deadline-day

Poet
07-14-2013, 07:42 PM
What a dumbass.

spikerman
07-14-2013, 07:53 PM
According to the Twitterverse and NFL.com, it's a done deal. Ryan Clady has agreed to a new deal with the Broncos.

broncohead
07-14-2013, 07:54 PM
Broncos signed left tackle Ryan Clady to a five-year, $57.5 million contract, including $33 million guaranteed.
Clady had been rumored as the only franchise player likely to get the long-term deal he was looking for. ESPN reported earlier the Broncos had upped their contract offer to $52.5 million over five years, but the ending figure was $5 million beyond that. Of course, guaranteed money is always key when analyzing new deals, and it appears Clady did well by getting over 57% of his contract guaranteed. The extension ensures Peyton Manning will have his blindside protected for the remainder of his career.
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-14-2013, 08:06 PM
Sweet

Denver Native (Carol)
07-14-2013, 08:06 PM

Check that. 15-million in year one for Clady. Bonus play salary. Okay, I'm done with numbers. Let's ball.

NIce little pay hike. Last year, Clady paid for $3.5 million. This year, he can add a cool $10mill to that figure.

The up-front money for Clady: $13.5 million.

Technically, Clady's contract makes him the 3rd highest-paid LT in football. But if he maxes out the contract, could be 2nd highest.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-14-2013, 08:09 PM
The Broncos and star left tackle Ryan Clady agreed Sunday to a five-year, $52.5 million contract, with $33 million guaranteed over the first three years.

The deal puts Clady among the NFL's top three offensive linemen in pay.

A year after the first round of their contract negotiations broke off, leaving Clady to play the 2012 season on a club-friendly $3.5 million salary, the Broncos and Clady found common ground through compromise.

The Broncos dramatically improved the guaranteed portion of their offer a year ago, while Clady significantly reduced his annual and total value requests.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23659776/ryan-clady-broncos-close-new-contract-deadline-day

Davii
07-14-2013, 08:27 PM
Outstanding news, very glad to hear Clady is locked in to a long term deal.

chazoe60
07-14-2013, 08:42 PM
Good news.

SR
07-14-2013, 08:44 PM
Muy awesome

LTC Pain
07-14-2013, 09:14 PM
Aroogadooga!!! :beer:

Army Bronco
07-14-2013, 10:21 PM
Outstanding news, very glad to hear Clady is locked in to a long term deal.You talked to Clady didn't you?? Good job Gunny!

Simple Jaded
07-15-2013, 12:56 AM

Check that. 15-million in year one for Clady. Bonus play salary. Okay, I'm done with numbers. Let's ball.

NIce little pay hike. Last year, Clady paid for $3.5 million. This year, he can add a cool $10mill to that figure.

The up-front money for Clady: $13.5 million.

Technically, Clady's contract makes him the 3rd highest-paid LT in football. But if he maxes out the contract, could be 2nd highest.

If true I like that 2013 number and upfront money, possibly meaning the future cap numbers won't be as high.

Ziggy
07-15-2013, 11:13 AM
Clady deserves the contract. He played out his rookie contract without whining or holding out, despite being one of the best left tackles in the game. He's not Joe Thomas, but he's not far behind and the numbers support that. It sounds like it's also structured so that the Broncos are protected in that latter part of the contract if his play declines. We also know that Manning's blindside is protected for the rest of his career. Good deal for everyone invlolved.

Ravage!!!
07-16-2013, 12:28 PM
I've read two articles... and BOTH have shown/stated that Ryan CLady's signing bonus is the second highest for and OL in the NFL. Neither have used the Joe Thomas' 44 Million signing bonus that he was supposed to have signed in 2011? I wonder if both articles are using the same source, and thus both have the research incorrect? I'm confused, because both have Joe Thomas as having a 28.5 Million dollar signing bonus.
--------------------------------

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9477885/ryan-clady-denver-broncos-reach-five-year-525-million-deal

Ryan Clady will receive $33 million guaranteed in his new five-year, $52.5 million contract with the Broncos. That's the second-most guaranteed money for an active offensive lineman in the NFL. Here's a look:
Player, Team Guaranteed $
Trent Williams, WSH $36.7M
Ryan Clady, DEN $33M
D. Ferguson, NYJ $32.4M
Logan Mankins, NE $30M
Source: Roster Management System
------------------------------------------

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1704218-how-ryan-cladys-extension-impacts-the-offensive-line-market

THis one shows that Ferguson has a 34.8, CLady at 33, Williams at 29.25, Thomas at 28.5, and Jason Peters at 25.

MOtorboat
07-16-2013, 12:43 PM
The guaranteed money isn't necessarily just the signing bonus. This year's contract is likely guaranteed.

Cugel
07-16-2013, 02:11 PM
The deal cost flatly doesn't matter. The Broncos had ZERO choice. They HAD to lock up Clady for the remainder of Manning's career.

The only way to even get a franchise LT is either using a top 15 draft pick -- and often a top 10 pick, or else get lucky -- and then develop a that pick into a star over the next several seasons.

But, this team is built to win NOW -- while they still have Manning. They can't get another LT and wait to develop him!

When Manning retires, they will probably have 2 or 3 (or more) rebuilding seasons. They can get another LT then if they need to.

But, Clady was the #12 overall pick and the Broncos were lucky he was even there at #11. KC was all set to grab him at #13 too. So, it was Clady or bust. They only issue for the Broncos was his health. Once he passed the physical, then they had to sign him.

TXBRONC
07-16-2013, 06:13 PM
The deal cost flatly doesn't matter. The Broncos had ZERO choice. They HAD to lock up Clady for the remainder of Manning's career.

The only way to even get a franchise LT is either using a top 15 draft pick -- and often a top 10 pick, or else get lucky -- and then develop a that pick into a star over the next several seasons.

But, this team is built to win NOW -- while they still have Manning. They can't get another LT and wait to develop him!

When Manning retires, they will probably have 2 or 3 (or more) rebuilding seasons. They can get another LT then if they need to.

But, Clady was the #12 overall pick and the Broncos were lucky he was even there at #11. KC was all set to grab him at #13 too. So, it was Clady or bust. They only issue for the Broncos was his health. Once he passed the physical, then they had to sign him.

I don't if it was luck it was the way draft IIRC he went about where he was expected to go. I would say the team is making a push right but a two or three year rebuild after Manning retires? I don't think so not with the way Elway has been drafting.

Ziggy
07-16-2013, 07:15 PM
I don't if it was luck it was the way draft IIRC he went about where he was expected to go. I would say the team is making a push right but a two or three year rebuild after Manning retires? I don't think so not with the way Elway has been drafting.

Clady was a good prospect that was raw and didn't have a lot of experience against good teams in college. Joe Thomas and Brandon Albert were rated ahead of him by most, and Chris Williams of the Bears was rated by some ahead of him as well. Clady was a guy that was looked at as somewhat of a boom or bust prospect. The Broncos had no qualms about taking him. If I remember correctly, they went straight up to the podium with the pick once they were on the clock. He was probably Shanahan's best high draft pick.

Poet
07-16-2013, 08:47 PM
Clady is a good man. A good man indeed.

rationalfan
07-17-2013, 11:06 AM
Clady deserves the contract. He played out his rookie contract without whining or holding out, despite being one of the best left tackles in the game. He's not Joe Thomas, but he's not far behind and the numbers support that. It sounds like it's also structured so that the Broncos are protected in that latter part of the contract if his play declines. We also know that Manning's blindside is protected for the rest of his career. Good deal for everyone invlolved.

i like your post, but, personally, i think clady would still be worth it if he was talking about wanting a new contract to the media and whining. the guy's good.

Ravage!!!
07-17-2013, 11:15 AM
Clady was a good prospect that was raw and didn't have a lot of experience against good teams in college. Joe Thomas and Brandon Albert were rated ahead of him by most, and Chris Williams of the Bears was rated by some ahead of him as well. Clady was a guy that was looked at as somewhat of a boom or bust prospect. The Broncos had no qualms about taking him. If I remember correctly, they went straight up to the podium with the pick once they were on the clock. He was probably Shanahan's best high draft pick.

Actually.. Clady was rated as the TOP LT in the draft by many tht grade the draft. He was considered to be a franchise guy, and a pro-ready. VERY FEW thought that Albert would be better.

Ravage!!!
07-17-2013, 11:17 AM

Cugel, Clady isn't just good because we have Manning. Having a top LT on your OL is good for ANY QB behind center...whether it's a vet like Manning or a rookie. Manning went to the Super Bowl with a rookie LT that turned out to have a stint at LT with the Colts because he just wasn't very good. I don't think Manning HAD to has a "Clady".... I think the BRONCOS need a Clady because a top LT is THAT important.

Poet
07-17-2013, 04:28 PM
When Manning retires, your quarterback is going to look at Clady and celebrate.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-17-2013, 05:09 PM

I can appreciate common sense of that nature.

MOtorboat
07-17-2013, 05:32 PM
When Manning retires, Brock Osweiler is going to look at Clady and celebrate.

Is Zam back yet?

Poet
07-17-2013, 05:33 PM
Is Zam back yet?

Huh?

MOtorboat
07-17-2013, 05:34 PM
Huh?

I altered your post...

Poet
07-17-2013, 05:36 PM
I altered your post...

Oh. I guess I didn't find it funny because it's implied that Osweiller will be that guy. Then again, I think Zam hates him or something. Anyway, Mo, I need to brush up on my grammar. I cannot find any of my grammar books. This makes me sad.

Ravage!!!
07-18-2013, 09:29 AM
Cugel, Clady isn't just good because we have Manning. Having a top LT on your OL is good for ANY QB behind center...whether it's a vet like Manning or a rookie. Manning went to the Super Bowl with a rookie LT that turned out to have a SHORT stint at LT with the Colts because he just wasn't very good. I don't think Manning had to have a "Clady".... I think the BRONCOS need a Clady because a top LT is THAT important to any/every team.

Speaking of grammar. I need to stop posting when busy at work, because this post is just missing a lot of words that I seemed to have had in my head that didn't make it to the screen.

TXBRONC
07-18-2013, 11:07 AM

Thomas was drafted in 2007 and Clady was drafted in 2008. Jake Long was the number one overall pick in the 2008 draft. I don't recall him being considered somewhat boom or bust. IIRC he was in top five offensive tackles in his draft class and Brandon Alberts was the top rated guard that year with potential to move to offensive tackle. It really doesn't matter that much because Long was by concensus the best tackle available in the 2008 draft the remaining top tackles graded out similarly.

TXBRONC
07-18-2013, 11:10 AM

As long as they don't celebrate by playing a pickup game of basketball.

underrated29
07-18-2013, 11:24 AM
As long as they don't celebrate by playing a pickup game of basketball.

I saw that the bucks kicker went on ir with an acl he suffered in a charity bball game.....why can't these guys pick up golf or lawn bowling?

TXBRONC
07-19-2013, 10:42 AM
I saw that the bucks kicker went on ir with an acl he suffered in a charity bball game.....why can't these guys pick up golf or lawn bowling?

Not everyone likes golf or lawn bowling.

Jsteve01
07-20-2013, 10:02 PM
Thomas was drafted in 2007 and Clady was drafted in 2008. Jake Long was the number one overall pick in the 2008 draft. I don't recall him being considered somewhat boom or bust. IIRC he was in top five offensive tackles in his draft class and Brandon Alberts was the top rated guard that year with potential to move to offensive tackle. It really doesn't matter that much because Long was by concensus the best tackle available in the 2008 draft the remaining top tackles graded out similarly.
yup wrong year ziggy, it was Long and Clady and I remember after watching tape on both thinking that had Clady played in a major conference there wouldn't have even been a discussion. Long was solid and just powerful but Clady was light years ahead in the feet, hands and awareness categories. There was talk by some that Long might project better at RT.