PDA

View Full Version : Football Gameplan's 2013 NFL Team Preview - Broncos

EmDiggy
07-06-2013, 12:24 PM
cgnhWcviBho

Good afternoon Broncos fans! Here's my season preview for you guys. Good luck this year!

Em

SR
07-06-2013, 01:14 PM
You forgot about Chris Harris...

But otherwise good piece...always enjoy watching

BroncoWave
07-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Good preview. I honestly don't see a glaring weakness in this team. We have a few question marks (MLB, S, C) but we still have at least average players in those roles. This is easily the best team we have put together since 1998. I honestly think the only thing stopping us from winning the AFC is a bad playoff game or major injuries.

SR
07-06-2013, 01:25 PM
Good preview. I honestly don't see a glaring weakness in this team. We have a few question marks (MLB, S, C) but we still have at least average players in those roles. This is easily the best team we have put together since 1998. I honestly think the only thing stopping us from winning the AFC is a bad playoff game or major injuries.

I don't see any question marks at C. Or safety.

BroncoWave
07-06-2013, 01:37 PM
I don't see any question marks at C. Or safety.

I had to stretch to come up with something. I guess in terms of the talent we have at other positions you could call them question marks.

SR
07-06-2013, 01:40 PM
I had to stretch to come up with something. I guess in terms of the talent we have at other positions you could call them question marks.

Nah. Koppen is solid. And so are Rahim Moore and Mike Adams.

BroncoWave
07-06-2013, 01:42 PM
Nah. Koppen is solid. And so are Rahim Moore and Mike Adams.

Koppen is old though. We don't know if he will still be as good this year as last. We are one injury away from having nothing at center. I'll give you safety, Moore and Adams are decent and we have Jammer for depth.

SR
07-06-2013, 01:47 PM
Koppen is old though. We don't know if he will still be as good this year as last. We are one injury away from having nothing at center. I'll give you safety, Moore and Adams are decent and we have Jammer for depth.

Also have Carter for depth as well as Duke whatever his last name is. Maybe at center Blake is ready to step up...but Koppen was great for us last year. I have no qualms about him at all.

BroncoWave
07-06-2013, 01:50 PM
Also have Carter for depth as well as Duke whatever his last name is. Maybe at center Blake is ready to step up...but Koppen was great for us last year. I have no qualms about him at all.

If Blake were ready to step up I'm not sure if we would have brought Koppen back. If Denver REALLY wanted Koppen for this year, they wouldn't have let him be a FA all offseason.

Now this is nothing against Koppen as a player, as he was great for us last year. But he is really getting up there in age. For a physical position like center, it's a question mark if he can make it all 16 games.

But for the record, if the biggest problem I can find with our team is depth at center, we aren't doing half bad.

SR
07-06-2013, 01:55 PM
If Blake were ready to step up I'm not sure if we would have brought Koppen back. If Denver REALLY wanted Koppen for this year, they wouldn't have let him be a FA all offseason.

Now this is nothing against Koppen as a player, as he was great for us last year. But he is really getting up there in age. For a physical position like center, it's a question mark if he can make it all 16 games.

But for the record, if the biggest problem I can find with our team is depth at center, we aren't doing half bad.

Agree with the last sentence.

And Koppen hasn't been named starter. They must not have felt too badly about Blake if they weren't going to bring Koppen back before Walton was hurt.

BroncoWave
07-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Agree with the last sentence.

And Koppen hasn't been named starter. They must not have felt too badly about Blake if they weren't going to bring Koppen back before Walton was hurt.

Fair enough. As I said, it's just a question mark in my eyes. I'm not losing too much sleep over it though.

Jsteve01
07-07-2013, 12:02 AM

You have no way to know if Blake is ready to step up after OTA's had to bring koppen in. Even if Blake looked like the next Nalen in shorts, you've got to seem him do it in pads.

Jsteve01
07-07-2013, 12:03 AM
also, there's been a lot of talk about Blake but Ramirez was running the C prior to the Koppen signing not Blake.

broncohead
07-07-2013, 01:01 AM
With Walton down we still needed that depth even if we had the starter on the roster already and healthy.

Simple Jaded
07-07-2013, 02:28 AM
PFW ranked Chris Harris in their Top 10 CB's. Just sayin.

sneakers
07-07-2013, 06:28 AM
did we win?

iLands
07-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Always nice to see an outsider's perspective.

SR
07-07-2013, 10:57 AM

And Em didn't even mention him. Went from DRC to Tony Carter.

SR
07-07-2013, 10:58 AM
did we win?

Yes

BroncoWave
07-07-2013, 11:05 AM
And Em didn't even mention him. Went from DRC to Tony Carter.

Can't fault him too much for letting one player slip. He does a great job on these. He mentioned a few Broncos players that I had never even heard of.

SR
07-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Can't fault him too much for letting one player slip. He does a great job on these. He mentioned a few Broncos players that I had never even heard of.

He does do a great job

turftoad
07-07-2013, 11:48 AM
Nice job Emory! Thanks a bunch.

topscribe
07-07-2013, 01:32 PM
Glad to hear that. Much as he's been ignored, he must have felt like persona non grata . . . :sad:

SR
07-07-2013, 01:37 PM
Glad to hear that. Much as he's been ignored, he must have felt like persona non grata . . . :sad:

Who has ignored him?

topscribe
07-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Love your reports, Em. Always enjoy watching them.

I do think, however, your omission of Chris Harris is really a faux pas. I believe
he is the second best CB on the team, although I say that before getting a
chance to see DRC in uniform on the battlefield.

Also, Osweiler's accuracy has been reported as razor sharp since he has
improved his throwing motion. A lot of people think Dysert's going to compete
with Osweiler, but it isn't so. Osweiler just has a better skill set all around.
There's a reason he was taken early in the draft, whereas Dysert was taken
late.

On the surface, speed at DE might look like a problem (although Ayers isn't
really slow with a 4.89 40, and he has been caught running under a 4.7 (http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=1954)). But
Ayers and Wolfe were essentially the DEs on run downs last year, and they
had little problem with it. This is probably because of Denver's style of
defense, which is for the DL to keep blockers from getting to the second
level and letting the fast LBs do their thing.

Thanks again, Em. Just because I took issue with a couple items doesn't
mean I didn't like it. :)

topscribe
07-07-2013, 02:08 PM
Who has ignored him?
The Top 100 list just out, IIRC; ESPN's AFCW Top 40; last year's Pro Bowl
(not even 2nd or 3rd alternate). Harris has been thoroughly underestimated.

BroncoWave
07-07-2013, 02:26 PM

To say he is a top 100 player at this point is laughable. There are 32 teams, which means the top 100 would, on average, be the best 3-4 players on each team. He is not one of our 3-4 best players.

As for the Pro Bowl, that is pretty much a popularity contest regardless. An unknown like him isn't going to make it that early.

The top 40 in the AFCW I could SEE him having a claim for, as that would be 10 players per team on average, but I don't think it's a huge omission that he missed it.

If he keeps playing well he will get his due recognition. But to say he should have been a pro bowler or in the top 100 at this point is pretty premature.

topscribe
07-07-2013, 02:55 PM
To say he is a top 100 player at this point is laughable. There are 32 teams, which means the top 100 would, on average, be the best 3-4 players on each team. He is not one of our 3-4 best players.

As for the Pro Bowl, that is pretty much a popularity contest regardless. An unknown like him isn't going to make it that early.

The top 40 in the AFCW I could SEE him having a claim for, as that would be 10 players per team on average, but I don't think it's a huge omission that he missed it.

If he keeps playing well he will get his due recognition. But to say he should have been a pro bowler or in the top 100 at this point is pretty premature.
Top 100, maybe not, but not laughable. However, maybe you need a good laugh.
Regarding the Pro Bowl, I'm talking about alternates -- picked by coaches, as I
understand it. I said not even 2nd or 3rd alternate. And I don't stand alone in
that view. I have seen that view by writers at IAOFM and MHR, as well. After
50+ years of football, I believe I have picked up a certain small measure of acuity.

So you have your opinion, I have mine. :whoknows:

BroncoWave
07-07-2013, 03:00 PM
So you have your opinion, I have mine. :whoknows:

As do the coaches who didn't pick him as an alternate. I just don't see the big deal about it right now. He's had one good season covering the #2 an #3 WRs for other teams. I agree with you that he is a really good player, but I'm just not ready to praise him as an elite talent yet.

If he continues to play well and improve, his accolades will come. There are only so many spots in the pro bowl and the top 100. Probably a lot of players who various people felt were deserving were left off.

topscribe
07-07-2013, 03:07 PM
As do the coaches who didn't pick him as an alternate. I just don't see the big deal about it right now. He's had one good season covering the #2 an #3 WRs for other teams. I agree with you that he is a really good player, but I'm just not ready to praise him as an elite talent yet.

If he continues to play well and improve, his accolades will come. There are only so many spots in the pro bowl and the top 100. Probably a lot of players who various people felt were deserving were left off.
I don't think it's a great big deal, either. I haven't been banging the table over it.
I just feel Harris has been ignored in certain situations, and, as I mentioned, I'm
not alone in that view.

BroncoWave
07-07-2013, 03:10 PM
I'd rather him be "ignored" and be hungry anyway. It's good to have players with a chip on their shoulder.

BroncoWave
07-07-2013, 03:21 PM
The thing about the top 100 list that outraged me the most was Aldon Smith being higher than Von Miller. Talk about a complete joke. Smith said himself that Miller is better than he is.

SR
07-07-2013, 03:24 PM

I don't think any of that means he's been ignored. That stuff is all so heavily bias it's ridiculous.

topscribe
07-07-2013, 03:35 PM
I'd rather him be "ignored" and be hungry anyway. It's good to have players with a chip on their shoulder.

The thing about the top 100 list that outraged me the most was Aldon Smith being higher than Von Miller. Talk about a complete joke. Smith said himself that Miller is better than he is.
We are in agreement in both cases.

Simple Jaded
07-07-2013, 05:39 PM
Louis Vasquez isn't competing with anyone for the RG spot. Harris is a starter at RCB until futher notice (at worst he's the starting Nickle, not Carter), Bruton is taking reps with the 1's in OTA's but Hester and Ihenacho are mentioned? Whose roster spot a they taking? Like someone said, it's good to have an outsiders take on the team.

SR
07-07-2013, 06:03 PM
Louis Vasquez isn't competing with anyone for the RG spot. Harris is a starter at RCB until futher notice (at worst he's the starting Nickle, not Carter), Bruton is taking reps with the 1's in OTA's but Hester and Ihenacho are mentioned? Whose roster spot a they taking? Like someone said, it's good to have an outsiders take on the team.

Harris isn't the right CB starter. He is the nickel corner and has already publicly acknowledged that. DRC is the starting RCB. Also we don't have a safety named Hester. Maybe you meant Jammer?

Dzone
07-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Good analysis...Got D Wolfes college wrong though

Simple Jaded
07-07-2013, 06:10 PM
Harris isn't the right CB starter. He is the nickel corner and has already publicly acknowledged that. DRC is the starting RCB. Also we don't have a safety named Hester. Maybe you meant Jammer?
That's what I thought about Tracy Porter, l like DRC a lot and he clearly has more God-given talent but I'll believe DRC beats Harris out when I see it. The Hester he is talking about is UDFA Aaron Hester, a height/weight/speed CB from UCLA who stands a strong chance of making PS but is playing a position Denver is loaded at.

Poet
07-07-2013, 06:26 PM

Aldon Smith got the majority of his sacks with Justin Smith playing grabs. If we're talking about the NFL network one, look how high they had Flacco.

SR
07-07-2013, 07:06 PM
That's what I thought about Tracy Porter, l like DRC a lot and he clearly has more God-given talent but I'll believe DRC beats Harris out when I see it. The Hester he is talking about is UDFA Aaron Hester, a height/weight/speed CB from UCLA who stands a strong chance of making PS but is playing a position Denver is loaded at.

DRC and Harris aren't competing. Harris is the nickel back, DRC is the RCB. Harris didn't move to RCB because he was better than Porter, he moved because Porter was ill. There isn't a competition for RCB where the loser is the nickel back.

BroncoWave
07-07-2013, 07:11 PM
Aldon Smith got the majority of his sacks with Justin Smith playing grabs. If we're talking about the NFL network one, look how high they had Flacco.

Yeah someone did a breakdown at one point and showed that like 90% of his sacks came on plays when Justin Smith was holding an o-lineman. He did nothing once Justin went out. I try not to fanboy it up over Broncos players, but it blows my mind how anyone could think Aldon Smith is better than Von Miller.

SR
07-07-2013, 07:15 PM
Yeah someone did a breakdown at one point and showed that like 90% of his sacks came on plays when Justin Smith was holding an o-lineman. He did nothing once Justin went out. I try not to fanboy it up over Broncos players, but it blows my mind how anyone could think Aldon Smith is better than Von Miller.

I agree completely. Von really doesn't have a weakness. He's good in coverage when asked to drop back, he's phenomenal against the run, reads blocks very well, deadly first step, and one of the best pass rushers in recent memory. Aldon Smith can rush the passer while his stud DT sucks up blockers and sucks against the run. There isn't really any comparison, despite the fact that they play different positions in a different scheme.

BroncoWave
07-07-2013, 07:18 PM
I agree completely. Von really doesn't have a weakness. He's good in coverage when asked to drop back, he's phenomenal against the run, reads blocks very well, deadly first step, and one of the best pass rushers in recent memory. Aldon Smith can rush the passer while his stud DT sucks up blockers and sucks against the run. There isn't really any comparison, despite the fact that they play different positions in a different scheme.

I don't know if you watched any of the videos the NFLN did for their top 100 list, but in the one for Von they interviewed Aldon Smith and asked him who was better, and he said Von was better. You almost NEVER see a pro athlete say another player is better than them. Says volumes when one does.

Poet
07-07-2013, 07:30 PM

I'm trying to figure out how he beat out Geno Atkins. Atkins is the best 4-3 pass rushing DT in the game and one of the best run stoppers as well.

SR
07-07-2013, 08:18 PM
I don't know if you watched any of the videos the NFLN did for their top 100 list, but in the one for Von they interviewed Aldon Smith and asked him who was better, and he said Von was better. You almost NEVER see a pro athlete say another player is better than them. Says volumes when one does.

They asked him other than himself who does he consider the best pass rusher in the game and he said Von. There were tons of questions asked like that that they aired on the shows. Aldon was far from the only person they showed get asked that.

Simple Jaded
07-07-2013, 08:29 PM
DRC and Harris aren't competing. Harris is the nickel back, DRC is the RCB. Harris didn't move to RCB because he was better than Porter, he moved because Porter was ill. There isn't a competition for RCB where the loser is the nickel back.

We'll see. I think we can agree that Denver would prefer Bailey, DRC and Harris to be LCB/RCB/NB starters. I would too.

Simple Jaded
07-07-2013, 08:34 PM
I'm trying to figure out how he beat out Geno Atkins. Atkins is the best 4-3 pass rushing DT in the game and one of the best run stoppers as well.

Gonna be a tall order for a team like the Bengals to keep all that DL talent.

SR
07-07-2013, 08:35 PM
We'll see. I think we can agree that Denver would prefer Bailey, DRC and Harris to be LCB/RCB/NB starters. I would too.

That's what it'll be

Poet
07-07-2013, 08:49 PM
Gonna be a tall order for a team like the Bengals to keep all that DL talent.

Not really. We'll have an incredible amount of cap space next year. Michael Johnson is playing his last season as a Bengal though. Brown isn't going to pay Johnson a top flight pass rushing contract. Johnson wants DeMarcus Ware money. Cincinnati feels like they make players into pass rushers on the defensive line. They'll have Dunlap as a full time starter and continue the rotational style of play. At some point Hunt will be ready and that's who they think is the future at that position.

topscribe
07-08-2013, 11:00 AM
I don't know because I don't have a bug planted in the coaches' offices, but I
do wonder whether the issue is DRC "beating out" Harris. I wonder whether it is
that Harris is just too good in the slot to take him out of there. It takes a
different kind of CB to be successful in there. DRC has already proven he is
better on the outside and Harris is better on the inside (although I don't think
either is "bad" at either position).

Just a guess . . .

TXBRONC
07-08-2013, 12:17 PM
Emory great job as usual my good man.

The one major thing I disagree with you on is Dysert. Some do think that he's in Denver to compete with Osweiler but from what Elway is saying from what has happened OTAs. He might be able compete with Osweiler in a year but right now Osweiler is clearly ahead of Dysert on the depth chart. Also word out of OTAs is Dysert has struggled with his accuracy and they say Osweiler been very sharp.

Simple Jaded
07-08-2013, 11:36 PM
Not really. We'll have an incredible amount of cap space next year. Michael Johnson is playing his last season as a Bengal though. Brown isn't going to pay Johnson a top flight pass rushing contract. Johnson wants DeMarcus Ware money. Cincinnati feels like they make players into pass rushers on the defensive line. They'll have Dunlap as a full time starter and continue the rotational style of play. At some point Hunt will be ready and that's who they think is the future at that position.

That's what I mean, Johnson might be tough to keep if they don't extend him in time, Atkins is getting next years Tag regardless. The problem they have with cap space isn't just space, it's capitol for Johnson, Dunlap, Dalton and, most importantly, Atkins and Green. They'll be negotiating with Dalton, Dunlap and Atkins at the same time they're trying to budget for Green.

If next years market for DE's is the same as this years all bets are off, Cincy might get Johnson for Avril money.

Poet
07-09-2013, 12:01 AM
That's what I mean, Johnson might be tough to keep if they don't extend him in time, Atkins is getting next years Tag regardless. The problem they have with cap space isn't just space, it's capitol for Johnson, Dunlap, Dalton and, most importantly, Atkins and Green. They'll be negotiating with Dalton, Dunlap and Atkins at the same time they're trying to budget for Green.

If next years market for DE's is the same as this years all bets are off, Cincy might get Johnson for Avril money.
They can keep the core. Dunlap has character issues in terms of coaching and injury issues. Atkins is going to get a big deal. Dalton isn't going to get a big deal. Green is going to get a monster deal. He might even hit Calvin Johnson money.

Simple Jaded
07-09-2013, 02:09 AM
I don't think Atkin's tag figure will be anywhere near what he'd get on the open market and the FA DE market was surprisingly low this year. Ya never know.

Poet
07-09-2013, 02:18 AM
I don't think Atkin's tag figure will be anywhere near what he'd get on the open market and the FA DE market was surprisingly low this year. Ya never know.

Tagging a DT will cost a team about 5-6 million this year. But he's a pass rusher who puts up DE numbers at DT. He's also one of the best run stoppers in the NFL.

Simple Jaded
08-08-2013, 09:05 PM
I keep telling you guys that Ihenacho is going to make this team, some day you'll start listening to reason.