PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Howard to sign elsewhere?

Denver Native (Carol)
06-27-2013, 11:00 AM
some things from article:

There is very little chance of Dwight Howard re-signing with the Los Angeles Lakers this summer, according to sources close to the situation.

Howard's major problem with the Lakers is the system that coach Mike D'Antoni employs. Beyond that, he did not enjoy playing with Kobe Bryant, though he could manage to do so in a different system, a source said. Howard also does not want to be second fiddle to Bryant for several more seasons.

Howard likes the idea of being the top superstar of a franchise and with Dirk Nowitzki aging, Dallas would be viewed as Howard's team. Howard also believes the Mavericks can build a championship roster around him with the ample cap space they will have in the summer of 2014.

full article - http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9427945/los-angeles-lakers-not-likely-re-sign-dwight-howard-sources-say

I would never want Howard on the Nuggets - he is all about himself, rather than team

CoachChaz
06-27-2013, 11:02 AM
At the crack of free agency, Mark Cuban will be sitting on his doorstep with bags of money

Ravage!!!
06-27-2013, 11:04 AM
At the crack of free agency, Mark Cuban will be sitting on his doorstep with bags of money

Houston will make a good run as well.

CoachChaz
06-27-2013, 11:09 AM
Houston will make a good run as well.

Definitely. I think Dallas wins out in the battle though. Mainly because they'll have the room to add another max contract next year and they probably offer the best long term chance at winning.

Slick
06-27-2013, 11:16 AM
The no state tax in Texas is a plus for someone who stands to make the kind of money he's going to make.

Rick
06-27-2013, 11:20 AM
If all he wants is to be the king of the franchise he could have stayed in Orlando. The city was his.

MOtorboat
06-27-2013, 11:57 AM
Don't trust ANYTHING on the Dwight Howard front until a contract is signed and delivered to the league offices.

Dude is a flake of epic proportions.

BroncoWave
06-27-2013, 12:06 PM
Dwight Howard is not a winning player. I would not want him on my team. He isn't happy unless he is the #1 option, and if he's the #1 option you probably aren't competing for a title.

Now Dallas or Houston would certainly be better with Howard, but I don't think he would make either one the favorite to win the West.

Rick
06-27-2013, 12:21 PM
Pretty sure at the end of the day he would play second fiddle to harden in Houston, Dallas might be best bet.

CoachChaz
06-27-2013, 12:22 PM
Dwight Howard is not a winning player. I would not want him on my team. He isn't happy unless he is the #1 option, and if he's the #1 option you probably aren't competing for a title.

Now Dallas or Houston would certainly be better with Howard, but I don't think he would make either one the favorite to win the West.

No. Even if they sign him, Dallas still needs a PG and a bench before they can consider themselves a distinct contender. Now if they chose to trade Marion and his insane 9 mil, they might be able to lure something solid. But the options outside of CP3 are slim. And he isnt leaving LA now.

MOtorboat
06-27-2013, 12:22 PM
No. Even if they sign him, Dallas still needs a PG and a bench before they can consider themselves a distinct contender. Now if they chose to trade Marion and his insane 9 mil, they might be able to lure something solid. But the options outside of CP3 are slim. And he isnt leaving LA now.

They can't amnesty Marion?

CoachChaz
06-27-2013, 12:36 PM
They can't amnesty Marion?

Already used it on Haywood last year

Denver Native (Carol)
06-27-2013, 01:27 PM
Pretty sure at the end of the day he would play second fiddle to harden in Houston, Dallas might be best bet.

From article:

Some close to Howard believe signing with Houston is his best option. Howard has been in contact with Rockets players James Harden and Chandler Parsons, both of whom are heavily recruiting him.

Definitely appears that Harden wants him with Houston

CoachChaz
06-27-2013, 01:33 PM
From article:

Definitely appears that Harden wants him with Houston

I really hope this happens. Then Houston can deal with his crap

MOtorboat
06-27-2013, 01:53 PM
Already used it on Haywood last year

Chad Ford's latest mock mentions Dallas as a possible trade opportunity for Cleveland to move up with their second first-round pick, and that the Cavs might be willing to take on Marion's salary in the process.

CoachChaz
06-27-2013, 02:03 PM
Chad Ford's latest mock mentions Dallas as a possible trade opportunity for Cleveland to move up with their second first-round pick, and that the Cavs might be willing to take on Marion's salary in the process.

I've heard a few stories of interest in Marion. But here's the problem...

If Cuban could know for sure that Howard was going to sign with Dallas, he'd probably be happy to ship Marion out and open up more cap space. But until he knows for sure, he wants to keep hold of Marion. Not to mention, Marion has until Friday to opt in or out of his player option. I highly doubt he opts out because he wont get 9 mil from anyone else. But regardless of what Marion and the Mavs decide to do...they have to let the league officed know BEFORE July 1. Since they cant even talk to Howard until then, Cuban appears to be standing pat

Rick
06-27-2013, 02:40 PM
I am sure Harden probably does want him, but from Howards side i think it would the same issue, having to not only share the spotlight but probably playing second fiddle.

Dzone
06-27-2013, 02:41 PM
Dwight Howards back is not going to hold up. He is finished.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-27-2013, 02:51 PM
Dwight Howards back is not going to hold up. He is finished.

So, guess it is - which goes first - his EGO, or his back

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-27-2013, 03:03 PM
Dwight Howard is a good player, but if a team employs him to be the #1 scorer it will be tough to win championships.

BroncoWave
06-27-2013, 04:13 PM
Dwight Howard is a good player, but if a team employs him to be the #1 scorer it will be tough to win championships.

That's the catch-22 with Dwight. He is only happy if he is the #1 option, but if he is your #1 option you probably aren't winning a title.

CoachChaz
06-27-2013, 05:12 PM
Well, he'd be the #1 option in Dallas with Dirk as #2. With a decent PG, I think they'd be solid, but they arent getting a good PG any time soon

Poet
06-28-2013, 12:23 AM
He's a soft big man in a league where his physique is completely dominating. If he played in the 90's he wouldn't be anything more than a pretty good center. I have always felt that he's basically a big kid. He seems to be a great human being. He just doesn't have that toughness to him.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-28-2013, 09:42 AM
That's the catch-22 with Dwight. He is only happy if he is the #1 option, but if he is your #1 option you probably aren't winning a title.

Exactly, he's no Hakeem

Denver Native (Carol)
06-29-2013, 04:29 PM
Shortly after NBA free agency commences in the wee hours Sunday morning, Dwight Howard is set to meet in Los Angeles with a Houston Rockets contingent that includes management, current players and former star center Hakeem Olajuwon, according to a source with knowledge of the meeting.

Teams are officially allowed to start meeting with free agents at 12:01 a.m. on Monday.

The Rockets plan to send general manager Daryl Morey, coach Kevin McHale, owner Les Alexander, Olajuwon and current Rockets James Harden and Chandler Parsons to recruit Howard, the source said.

rest - http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9436774/dwight-howard-houston-rockets-meet-los-angeles-source-says

EMB6903
06-29-2013, 04:54 PM
He's a soft big man in a league where his physique is completely dominating. If he played in the 90's he wouldn't be anything more than a pretty good center. I have always felt that he's basically a big kid. He seems to be a great human being. He just doesn't have that toughness to him.

He's a soft big man? Lmao

You talk out of your ass more than any poster I've ever read.

Poet
06-29-2013, 05:39 PM
I watched that guy get abused by Kevin Garnett for years, broski. I've seen him called out all the time for being soft in his career. From his play on the court to his basic demeanor. Kobe called him soft this year. Also, from your statement it seems like you're stating that a big man can't be soft. That's obviously not true. http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8930670/doubting-dwight-howard

People have claimed that old boy doesn't want to play through the pain. What I'm saying isn't exactly out of left field.

silkamilkamonico
06-30-2013, 12:44 AM
imo it isnt that howard is soft he just doesnt have alot of resilience in him. he doesnt play the game with a chip on his shoulder like the great ones do.

Poet
06-30-2013, 12:47 AM
I don't understand the difference?

silkamilkamonico
06-30-2013, 09:26 AM
some guys play hard but are just soft and get pushed around. some guys are physical until they get pushed back and then break.

big difference jmo

Poet
06-30-2013, 02:57 PM
some guys play hard but are just soft and get pushed around. some guys are physical until they get pushed back and then break.

big difference jmo

I gotcha. To me they go together.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-05-2013, 04:37 PM
They just stated on The Fan that Dallas has been told they are out of the mix

Denver Native (Carol)
07-05-2013, 04:40 PM
The Dallas Mavericks have been officially notified that they are out of the Dwight Howard sweepstakes.

"Got word we are out of the DH sweepstakes," Mavs owner Mark Cuban told ESPNDallas.com and other local media in an email. "We gave it a shot and it didn't work out. It was truly an experience. At some point I will post our video and presentation we made."

rest - http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9453005/dallas-mavericks-dwight-howard-sweepstakes-mark-cuban-says

Denver Native (Carol)
07-05-2013, 05:09 PM
Reported a few minutes ago on TheFan, Howard has chosen Houston

MOtorboat
07-05-2013, 05:12 PM
Reported a few minutes ago on TheFan, Howard has chosen Houston

Like I said before...nothing with him is set in stone until the contract is signed and filed at the league office.

CoachChaz
07-05-2013, 06:13 PM
Thank God

Denver Native (Carol)
07-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Like I said before...nothing with him is set in stone until the contract is signed and filed at the league office.

You nailed that one.

Dwight Howard landed in Los Angeles on Friday evening and contacted the Lakers, telling them he is 50-50 on his decision to sign with either the Lakers or the Rockets, according to a league source.

Howard's call to the Lakers came hours after a person from his camp informed the team that he would not re-sign with Los Angeles, according to the source.

"He changed his mind," the source said. "Hey, he's Dwight. What can you say."

The source said Howard had a possible change of heart because of the extra $30 million he would be leaving on the table if he signs with Houston.

rest - http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9453534/source-dwight-howard-torn-los-angeles-lakers-houston-rockets

Dapper Dan
07-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Houston? Why? The money?

MOtorboat
07-05-2013, 09:15 PM
You nailed that one.

rest - http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9453534/source-dwight-howard-torn-los-angeles-lakers-houston-rockets

Classic.

This guy is the biggest douche in sports.

Dapper Dan
07-05-2013, 09:16 PM
Classic.

Why for?

MOtorboat
07-05-2013, 09:19 PM
Why for?

He's a wishy-washy clown who gets coaches fired, only plays when he wants to, lies to his bosses and then two-faces in front of the media.

He's a douche.

MOtorboat
07-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Since this deal can't be inked until Wednesday, you just KNEW it wasn't the end of the "saga."

He's a clown.

Dapper Dan
07-05-2013, 09:21 PM
He's a wishy-washy clown who gets coaches fired, only plays when he wants to, lies to his bosses and then two-faces in front of the media.

He's a douche.

Meh. I don't mind him.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-05-2013, 09:24 PM
Classic.

I totally agree.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-05-2013, 09:32 PM
This guy is more indecisive than my wife in a restaurant.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-05-2013, 09:37 PM
How could it have NOT dawned on him that he would be leaving 30 mil on the table if he leaves LA???? Maybe he is trying to put the squeeze on Houston for more money?????

Source: D12 has landed in LA & told Lakers it's 50-50 btwn them and the Rockets. He's having 2nd thoughts about leaving $30 mill on table

Given the attention paid to the courtship of Howard and his history of drama going back to Orlando, these latest reports sparked plenty of conversation on Twitter.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/05/dwight-howard-rockets-choice-lakers_n_3552431.html?utm_hp_ref=sports

Maybe the high altitude in Aspen fuzzied his lil brain!!!!!!!

MOtorboat
07-05-2013, 09:39 PM
Wow.

So, Cuban and Kupchek actually both issued STATEMENTS publicly that they would not be the team he signed with. I didn't even realize that.

LOL

MOtorboat
07-05-2013, 09:47 PM
Wait. I'm confused. Apparently he IS going to Houston.

Dapper Dan
07-05-2013, 09:50 PM
Wait. I'm confused. Apparently he IS going to Houston.

That's the only thing I've seen all day. DH to Houston and DH told the Lakers he won't return. I'm not sure what all of this other stuff is.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-05-2013, 10:10 PM
That's the only thing I've seen all day. DH to Houston and DH told the Lakers he won't return. I'm not sure what all of this other stuff is.

He told the Lakers, after flying from Aspen to LA, that it was 50-50 - either LA or Houston.

BUT NOW:

Not long after Broussard's tweet, the Lakers' official Twitter account revealed that Howard was 100% not returning to Los Angeles.

"We have been informed of Dwight's decision to not return to the Lakers," Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak said in a statement published at the team's website. "Naturally we're disappointed. However, we will now move forward in a different direction with the future of the franchise and, as always, will do our best to build the best team possible, one our great lakers fans will be proud to support. To Dwight, we thank him for his time and consideration, and for his efforts with us last season. We wish him the best of luck on the remainder of his NBA career."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0..._hp_ref=sports

Dapper Dan
07-05-2013, 10:11 PM
ESPN SportsCenter - 7-time All-Star center Dwight Howard tweets that he has "decided to become a member of the Houston Rockets"

Denver Native (Carol)
07-05-2013, 10:13 PM
Dwight Howard is Houston-bound, after all.

The All-Star center told ESPN's Stephen A. Smith on Friday night that he will sign a free-agent contract with the Rockets after the league lifts its annual moratorium on player business Wednesday.

Howard confirmed his decision on Twitter.

rest - http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9453534/dwight-howard-says-sign-houston-rockets

MOtorboat
07-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Everyone remember there are five days left until he can actually sign the contract.

Dapper Dan
07-05-2013, 10:16 PM
I bet he signs with the Vikings.

Magnificent Seven
07-05-2013, 10:25 PM
It would be cool if he plays for the Warriors. They have never had super stars since Wilt Chamberlain's time or Chris Mullin's time.

Rick
07-05-2013, 10:29 PM
Curry is pretty damn amazing.

OrangeHoof
07-06-2013, 08:55 AM
As a quasi-Rockets fan (I am largely disconnected from NBA fandom), this was a marketing coup but a courtside mistake. Howard is not a player you build a team around. He's too selfish. He can post some solid numbers but where has he ever been a winner, even in LA where crappy players become champions.

But the Rockets have a tv network with the Astros that they cannot sell to carriers because the Rockets are dull and the Astros are AAA at best. The Rockets have been trying for three years to land a "whale" and this is the guy who is going to force carriers to rethink whether to carry this network. Dwightmare will either sink or save the franchise.

Ravage!!!
07-06-2013, 10:30 AM
considering you don't have state tax in Houston, that can save a TON of money.

Dapper Dan
07-06-2013, 01:14 PM
As a quasi-Rockets fan (I am largely disconnected from NBA fandom), this was a marketing coup but a courtside mistake. Howard is not a player you build a team around. He's too selfish. He can post some solid numbers but where has he ever been a winner, even in LA where crappy players become champions.

But the Rockets have a tv network with the Astros that they cannot sell to carriers because the Rockets are dull and the Astros are AAA at best. The Rockets have been trying for three years to land a "whale" and this is the guy who is going to force carriers to rethink whether to carry this network. Dwightmare will either sink or save the franchise.

He spent one year in LA. That's not a real sample size. The LA team where "crappy players become champions" is coached by Phil Jackson. Jackson wasn't there last season. All of his other seasons were in Orlando. They won some games, never a championship. That doesn't prove he can't win. Or that a team can't be built around him.

BroncoWave
07-06-2013, 01:45 PM
considering you don't have state tax in Houston, that can save a TON of money.

You mean for Howard? If so, that's not the case. LA could give him 30 mil more guaranteed than Houston could. Given the tax difference, he still would have made 9 million more in LA. Now assuming he doesn't get hurt he can get that 5th year and extra 30 mil in Houston then he would come out ahead, but as far as what he could get guaranteed right now, LA would have given him more.

BroncoWave
07-06-2013, 01:47 PM
He spent one year in LA. That's not a real sample size. The LA team where "crappy players become champions" is coached by Phil Jackson. Jackson wasn't there last season. All of his other seasons were in Orlando. They won some games, never a championship. That doesn't prove he can't win. Or that a team can't be built around him.

Really? Phil Jackson turned crappy players into champions? Are you kidding right now? He had Jordan or Kobe for all 11 of his titles. He never took a team of crappy players and made them champs.

Dapper Dan
07-06-2013, 02:36 PM
Really? Phil Jackson turned crappy players into champions? Are you kidding right now? He had Jordan or Kobe for all 11 of his titles. He never took a team of crappy players and made them champs.

I agree. I was just going by what the other guy said. Obviously, he never had crappy players. But he's assuming DH should have won a championship simply by playing in LA.

tomjonesrocks
07-06-2013, 11:37 PM
I would enjoy this misfortune and seemingly lean times headed the Lakers way but it never works out that way. There's really only 6-8 teams superstars play for in the NBA and sadly the Lakers are one of them. Some other superstar (or 2 or 3) will be there again soon enough.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-11-2013, 03:20 PM
Dwight Howard's distaste for the offense and approach of coach Mike D'Antoni is widely cited as the biggest trigger in his decision to leave the Los Angeles Lakers. But another key factor that led the All-Star center to the Houston Rockets was the Lakers' refusal to establish a clear timetable for moving on from the Kobe Bryant era, according to sources with knowledge of Howard's thinking.

Sources told ESPN.com that Howard and his representatives -- in a handful of meetings with Lakers officials before he became a free agent July 1 -- strongly suggested the center would have a difficult time re-signing with the team if Bryant stayed with the franchise beyond the 2013-14 season, the final year of his contract.

rest - http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9468452/dwight-howard-wanted-end-kobe-bryant-era-los-angeles-lakers