PDA

View Full Version : Reading the zone block

Spiritguy
06-23-2013, 04:05 PM
Don't know if this has been posted here but it's an excellent write up with pics, showing zone blocking from the running back perspective. Thought with the talk about our line doing (or potentially doing) more zone blocking you all would appreciate this one.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-breakdowns/2013/6/10/4407902/zone-blocking-scheme-marshawn-lynch

MOtorboat
06-23-2013, 04:56 PM
I'd actually argue that that wasn't a well-executed zone blocking play at all, rather a play where Lynch made something out of nothing.

The ZBS is one step and go, not wait-wait-wait...

Simple Jaded
06-24-2013, 03:50 AM
I think the correct read was to the outside from the get go.

Spiritguy
06-24-2013, 01:49 PM
For those of us still learning the nuances of what the line does and the differences between the zone blocking and power blocking I liked seeing the pics from behind the line. Even though the line didn't execute it well, it showed where the play was meant to go, where the cutback hole could be and where he ultimately went when things broke down.

I also wondered about the write up when he was saying wait, wait. It seemed from what the pics showed that his "waiting" was more read what is in front of you as you take each step than then hit the hole that is open. ??

MOtorboat
06-24-2013, 02:10 PM
For those of us still learning the nuances of what the line does and the differences between the zone blocking and power blocking I liked seeing the pics from behind the line. Even though the line didn't execute it well, it showed where the play was meant to go, where the cutback hole could be and where he ultimately went when things broke down.

I also wondered about the write up when he was saying wait, wait. It seemed from what the pics showed that his "waiting" was more read what is in front of you as you take each step than then hit the hole that is open. ??

It was a poor play to use to break down the zone blocking system. And he has his philosophies a little mixed up when it comes to patient running within systems. ZBS requires the runner to hit the "right" hole quickly, make one cut and go, so I'm not sure where his idea of the runner waiting like Lynch did to be the proper way to run the system. Likewise, runners in a power-O or trap system are taught to wait for the pulling blockers not just hit the first hole they see as he indicated.

It was a good breakdown of THAT play, I just think he's a little off on the philosophies.

arapaho2
06-25-2013, 03:00 PM
I'd actually argue that that wasn't a well-executed zone blocking play at all, rather a play where Lynch made something out of nothing.

The ZBS is one step and go, not wait-wait-wait...

I believe your wrong...at times zone rbs must show patience and wait for the hole just what lynch did...what made TD so good was his vision...snap the ball.. counter step right, run left and when the hole opens ..then its one cut and blow through the hole