PDA

View Full Version : C Dan Koppen re-signed

UnderArmour
06-20-2013, 12:20 PM
Broncos to sign Dan Koppen, per a league source
https://twitter.com/RavensInsider/status/347764077151531009

He was solid for us last year filling in for Walton and should be able to immediately start at center for us again if Walton doesn't heal in time or none of our developmental linemen are ready.

Traveler
06-20-2013, 12:22 PM
Not unexpected, but definitely highlights our lack of talent at the position IMO.

jhildebrand
06-20-2013, 12:28 PM
Championship :clap2:

Davii
06-20-2013, 12:30 PM
. He did a good job last year and is automatically the starter.

TXBRONC
06-20-2013, 12:32 PM
Koppen did a great job for us last year I'm glad they brought him back.

jhildebrand
06-20-2013, 12:36 PM
He was leaps and bounds better than Walton. I couldn't understand why the team was going into this season w/ Walton as the starter and Koppen not even on the team.

topscribe
06-20-2013, 12:41 PM
https://twitter.com/RavensInsider/status/347764077151531009

He was solid for us last year filling in for Walton and should be able to immediately start at center for us again if Walton doesn't heal in time or none of our developmental linemen are ready.
Congrats on spelling "re-signed" correctly. I don't see a lot of that here. lol

Good to see Koppen on board again. I've been hoping for that all offseason . . .

Rick
06-20-2013, 12:55 PM
Love that he is back.

I still hope someone on the team steps up in training camp and takes it(because he is good not because Kopen suddenly sucks).

Timmy!
06-20-2013, 01:40 PM
That didn't take long.

BigDaddyBronco
06-20-2013, 02:16 PM
He looked much better than Walton when he went down with an injury last year. I was wondering if it was a money issue on why they didn't bring him back, or if they felt Blake would be a decent back-up.

LTC Pain
06-20-2013, 03:34 PM
Broncos should target a Center in 2nd/3rd round of the 2014 draft :)

rationalfan
06-20-2013, 03:44 PM
gotta ask, did koppen actually look much better than walton or were people just pleased that it was anybody but walton snapping the ball to manning?

here's the profootball focus assessment of the broncos' oline in 2012, which they ranked as 4th overall. it speaks well for koppen that the unit was ranked that high, the run blocking issue doesn't help. would walton have done better? i have no idea. truly.

4. Denver Broncos (30)

PB – 1st, RB – 16th, PEN – 17th

Stud: You think Ryan Clady (+27.0) liked blocking for Peyton Manning? He responded with a career year that is going to make him an even richer man.

Dud: Though he graded positively for the year, you’d likely want to see more push in the run game from Manny Ramirez (+3.0).

Summary: They had a job to do, and boy did they do it. Protecting their quarterback was their priority and in that regard they did exactly what was required. It started with the tackles, who were excellent in this regard, and not one player on the line ended with a negative grade in pass protection. The downside is they failed to consistently impose themselves in the run game, and this is a big area for improvement.

Dapper Dan
06-20-2013, 04:01 PM
I didn't think we would sign him back st first because of age. But when I looked at his age it read 33, and not 35 or 36. I think those few years make a big difference. He's only 3 years older than Kuper. After I saw that, I figured it was only a matter of time. Pretty much like everyone else.

Rick
06-20-2013, 04:20 PM
I personally have nothing against Walton, but it sure seemed our offense as a whole got much better when Koppen came in as center, could be coincidence.

I could care less who the center is, though I wouldn't mind Kuper being in there if can can do the job.

At the end of the day...I want 5 damn good OLineman that move DL and create holes. The jersey name is not important.

OrangeHoof
06-20-2013, 04:40 PM
Centers rarely are chosen in the first round. You can typically get an outstanding one in the 2nd or 3rd.

Magnificent Seven
06-20-2013, 05:02 PM
. He did a good job last year and is automatically the starter.

I agree!

Rex
06-20-2013, 05:11 PM
Centers rarely are chosen in the first round. You can typically get an outstanding one in the 2nd or 3rd.

or 7th. #Nalen

broncofaninfla
06-20-2013, 06:31 PM
I'm glad Koppen is back, he was solid last year. This tells me all I need to know about the others listed as centers on the roster.

TXBRONC
06-21-2013, 09:59 AM
I'm glad Koppen is back, he was solid last year. This tells me all I need to know about the others listed as centers on the roster.

I think it also says a lot about what they think of J.D. Walton. As much as we both think Koppen did a solid job he wasn't re-signed until it came out Walton miss anywhere from half to all of the season depending on how quickly he heals up.

tomjonesrocks
06-24-2013, 11:20 PM
The O-Line is certainly a mess right now. Not good. Hope before the start of the season guys heal up/sign contracts/etc....

MOtorboat
06-24-2013, 11:23 PM
The O-Line is certainly a mess right now. Not good. Hope before the start of the season guys heal up/sign contracts/etc....

Wait, wut?

The line has two pro-bowlers, a free agent stud guard and an up and coming right tackle, and it's a mess?

Lawlz.

tomjonesrocks
06-24-2013, 11:30 PM
Wait, wut?

The line has two pro-bowlers, a free agent stud guard and an up and coming right tackle, and it's a mess?

Lawlz.

Let me know if I am wrong, but last I heard Clady is recovering from surgery and not around because he's pissed about his contract, with Franklin also recovering from foot surgery. Am I missing something? Legitimate question--not living in Denver I don't hear the latest updates all the time.

MOtorboat
06-24-2013, 11:32 PM
Let me know if I am wrong, but last I heard Clady is recovering from surgery and not around because he's pissed about his contract, with Franklin also recovering from foot surgery. Am I missing something? Legitimate question--not living in Denver I don't hear the latest updates all the time.

Clady is posturing, but under contract. Elway has already said he's not worried. Meh on the Franklin deal.

Dapper Dan
06-24-2013, 11:37 PM
We're basically going to have the same OL except now we will have Vasquez instead of Manny.

MOtorboat
06-24-2013, 11:37 PM
We're basically going to have the same OL except now we will have Vasquez instead of Manny.

Which is awesome. Certainly not a mess.

Rick
06-24-2013, 11:44 PM
Franklin had surgery on his toe...he will be fine.

Clady has already said he will be in camp.

Chef Zambini
06-25-2013, 12:04 AM
Franklin had surgery on his toe...he will be fine.

Clady has already said he will be in camp.
I saw Clady at the king Sooper.
he was buying bug spray, marshmellows and flashlight batteries.

Simple Jaded
06-25-2013, 02:21 AM
I saw Clady at the king Sooper.
he was buying bug spray, marshmellows and flashlight batteries.

Good thing he didn't come into your restaurant, he might have to move to S.

Tned
06-25-2013, 07:23 AM
Wait, wut?

Lawlz.

Vasquez appears to be likely on par with Kuper or better, and light years better than Ramirez. Late in the season last year I saw a stat that when Kuper was in, Manning was sacked once every 70 or 80 snaps (can't remember the exact number, but this range), with Ramirez in, he was sacked once every 18 snaps or something like that.

Vasquez, in addition to being a big guy that can open a hole, has a great track record in terms of protecting the QB. Last year, the Chargers gave up 49 sacks, but Vasquez was only tagged with two sacks and one QB hit. This was with him starting 16 games.

I really liked Kuper when healthy, but the drop off to Ramirez was monstrous, which means RG was a position in desperate need of upgrade.

TXBRONC
06-25-2013, 08:14 AM
Ramirez did improve as the season went on but it wasn't like he went from being a journeyman to All Pro as the season progressed. Even with he improvement I still wouldn't want him being the starter long term if it can avoid. He reminds a lot of Russ Hochstein.

TXBRONC
06-25-2013, 08:18 AM

I don't what it says about the centers that were already on the team. Again if Elway and Fox were that concerned why did they wait this long before bringing him back? I think Fox prefers veterans over inexperienced players.

Dapper Dan
06-25-2013, 08:32 AM
Vasquez appears to be likely on par with Kuper or better, and light years better than Ramirez. Late in the season last year I saw a stat that when Kuper was in, Manning was sacked once every 70 or 80 snaps (can't remember the exact number, but this range), with Ramirez in, he was sacked once every 18 snaps or something like that.

Vasquez, in addition to being a big guy that can open a hole, has a great track record in terms of protecting the QB. Last year, the Chargers gave up 49 sacks, but Vasquez was only tagged with two sacks and one QB hit. This was with him starting 16 games.

I really liked Kuper when healthy, but the drop off to Ramirez was monstrous, which means RG was a position in desperate need of upgrade.

The stat, if it's even correct, feels very misleading. Manny started 11 games and played in 15 games. Manning was only sacked 21 times. That's not bad at all.

I just never saw this massive drop off when Kuper was out. What's a more acceptable sack count? 15? 10? 0?

Vasquez is a definite upgrade. Hopefully one of our other tubbies doesn't get hurt. But if they do, I'm glad we have a decent back up at league minimum that can step in.

broncohead
06-25-2013, 10:40 PM
The stat, if it's even correct, feels very misleading. Manny started 11 games and played in 15 games. Manning was only sacked 21 times. That's not bad at all.

I just never saw this massive drop off when Kuper was out. What's a more acceptable sack count? 15? 10? 0?

Vasquez is a definite upgrade. Hopefully one of our other tubbies doesn't get hurt. But if they do, I'm glad we have a decent back up at league minimum that can step in.

Manny is a terrible run blocker. His strength is his pass blocking. He doesn't get a push and he usually ends up in the backfield