PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on NFL/Broncos restriction on purses, backpacks and coolers?

Tned
06-15-2013, 09:29 PM
I'm curious what those of you that go to the stadium think about the new policy where only fairly small, clear totes/gallon zip lock bags, along with hand sized women's clutch bags will be allowed in the stadium.

I'm sure it's driven at least in part by what happened in Boston, and the security lines/checks were a pain, but this makes life a much bigger pain for fans, especially in cold weather when you want to bring layers to change into.

Thoughts?

ShaneFalco
06-15-2013, 09:45 PM
gotta get padded down just to walk into the game. Pisses me off regardless. Ima start singing "America, the beautiful" next time they grab my junk.

Army Bronco
06-15-2013, 09:57 PM
gotta get padded down just to walk into the game. Pisses me off regardless. Ima start singing "America, the beautiful" next time they grab my junk. You should say...wait keep going, I'm not done yet. Or just wink at the security guard.

SR
06-15-2013, 09:57 PM
Tell him it's not gay if he doesn't make eye contact

OrangeHoof
06-15-2013, 10:07 PM
I thought I've read that they are also severely cutting down on the size of items you have in your vehicles when you enter. IOW, bye-bye big tailgating barbecues.

ShaneFalco
06-15-2013, 10:24 PM
Terrorist Tailgaters. Now i have seen everything.

Army Bronco
06-15-2013, 10:45 PM
Terrorist Tailgaters. Now i have seen everything.JalalaBBQ sauce with smoked kabombs....I mean kabobs. St Louis style goat ribs and head cleansed in green $hit water with a pepsi...I'm sure Seeing Red and Davii know what I'm talking about..lol

Dzone
06-15-2013, 11:25 PM
Lordy, it will be like flying on a plane-take off your shoes ,empty all your pockets, go thru a scanner and have your itch cream, weed and chap stick confiscated...

Dapper Dan
06-16-2013, 06:33 AM
Sounds like they're really wanting people to get NFL Sunday Ticket.

Chef Zambini
06-16-2013, 10:56 AM
men attempting to enter the stadium with purses should be strip searched!

Most would appreciate it and many would welcome it !
In fact, It might be a great way to boost attendance in cities like jacksonville.

Chef Zambini
06-16-2013, 11:00 AM
to be serious!
F the women and their damn purses!
clear see thru bags for all ticket holders, regardless of gender !
we live in a different world people.
I am sure the NFL have done their research and most likely a big reason why many season ticket holders are NOT renewing is not NFL ticket, but security !

Chef Zambini
06-16-2013, 11:01 AM
Lordy, it will be like flying on a plane-take off your shoes ,empty all your pockets, go thru a scanner and have your itch cream, weed and chap stick confiscated...

thanks for the laughter.

OrangeHoof
06-16-2013, 11:42 AM
If somebody could pull off a Boston-style bombing at an NFL stadium, the death toll would be higher because of all the bodies packed like sardines next to each other. I understand most of the security measures and am okay with most of them although a true terrorist would probably still be able to get in and set off a device.

As the headlines have filled recently with far-reaching government data collection blasting a huge hole in our right to privacy, I have wondered something: One American axiom is "better for ten criminals to go free than for one innocent man to go to jail." then why shouldn't it be "better for ten terrorists to get onto an airplane, in a stadium, etc. than for all Americans to live in a police state?" We're getting dangerously close to surrendering our freedoms on the altar of security when all that security inconveniences millions and yet somehow doesn't catch all the terrorists who still try to inflict damage.

ShaneFalco
06-16-2013, 03:59 PM
terrorist there, terrorist here, terrorists everywhere.

brb sending missile launchers to syria.

UnderArmour
06-16-2013, 05:26 PM
If somebody could pull off a Boston-style bombing at an NFL stadium, the death toll would be higher because of all the bodies packed like sardines next to each other. I understand most of the security measures and am okay with most of them although a true terrorist would probably still be able to get in and set off a device.

As the headlines have filled recently with far-reaching government data collection blasting a huge hole in our right to privacy, I have wondered something: One American axiom is "better for ten criminals to go free than for one innocent man to go to jail." then why shouldn't it be "better for ten terrorists to get onto an airplane, in a stadium, etc. than for all Americans to live in a police state?" We're getting dangerously close to surrendering our freedoms on the altar of security when all that security inconveniences millions and yet somehow doesn't catch all the terrorists who still try to inflict damage.
Bags are already checked and something like a pressure cooker would be incredibly easy to spot. There was no need to change existing policy. These new policies are over the top and disrespectful to common fans.

BroncoWave
06-16-2013, 05:39 PM
How exactly is a private company in the NFL deciding what their customers can and can't bring into their place of business any sort of restriction on your freedom? You don't have to go to an NFL game if you don't want to.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-16-2013, 08:28 PM
from article:

A list of frequently asked questions regarding the NFL's new policy to enhance public safety and improve stadium access for fans.

How does the new policy improve public safety?

There will be a secondary perimeter around the stadium where security personnel will check for prohibited items or bags being carried toward the stadium so those situations can be corrected immediately. This establishes a protected buffer area for fans in plaza-level areas and at the queues for stadium entry. Prohibited bags will be turned away. Any prohibited bag inside the second perimeter will be highly visible and more quickly resolved.

The clear bag is easily and quickly searched and greatly reduces faulty bag searches. It also supports the Department of Homeland Security’s “If You See Something, Say Something” campaign.

How does this make it more convenient for fans?

This will enable us to move fans through our security check points much faster. A standard size bag eliminates the need for bag templates to check bag sizes. It will make the stadium’s job much easier, allowing staff to be more efficient and effective in checking bags that are brought into the stadium. There will be less time spent standing in lines at the stadium gates and fans will be able to be in their seats well before kickoff. Fans also will enjoy an improved sense of safety. Shorter lines mean fewer hassles.

full article - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/FAQ-Regarding-Public-Safety-and-Stadium-Access-Policy/87e568e2-5f1b-4e26-9fa6-926ca8bd1079

Davii
06-16-2013, 08:42 PM
Last I checked this isn't the politics forum, and the Broncos aren't part of our government. Like BTB I can't even rationalize how someone can feel a business adding security measures for you to enter their building could be considered losing your freedom... nonsensical.

UnderArmour
06-16-2013, 08:53 PM
Last I checked this isn't the politics forum, and the Broncos aren't part of our government. Like BTB I can't even rationalize how someone can feel a business adding security measures for you to enter their building could be considered losing your freedom... nonsensical.

Tned was the one who posted the thread in this section, so let the thread run its course and don't complain when we have an intersection of sports and politics. And the stadiums may be "their building" but when an NFL team wants a new stadium who ends up paying for it? The taxpayer.

Dapper Dan
06-16-2013, 09:04 PM
Tned was the one who posted the thread in this section, so let the thread run its course and don't complain when we have an intersection of sports and politics. And the stadiums may be "their building" but when an NFL team wants a new stadium who ends up paying for it? The taxpayer.

I see people bring that up a lot. The taxpayer/stadium thing. But it's not just like anything else. Here, we paid for a very expensive Courthouse. We won't get a very big return on that. The stadium, it will bring in a TON of money to the area. So it's not like the people are sacrificing a lot.

And he's still right. It's a privately owned business. If the people don't want the product, they don't have to buy it. The city will still use your tax money for things that you may not participate in. You may not have kids, but they will still use your taxes for the school. Someone may never go to the courthouse but they still had to pay for it.

Army Bronco
06-16-2013, 09:06 PM
Everyone is missing the point. What about terrorist tailgating?????

Tned
06-16-2013, 10:05 PM

Oh, you mean when Raider's fans tailgate at Mile High???? :confused:

Pudge
06-16-2013, 10:19 PM
I enjoy it when raiders fans tailgate at mile high. The insults can be hilarious

MOtorboat
06-16-2013, 10:27 PM
Oh FFS...security at a sporting event does not mean you are losing your freedom or anyone is violating your Constitutional rights.

:tsk:

ShaneFalco
06-17-2013, 01:27 AM

Theres a bomb in the keg!

SHISHKA BOMBS! Dont overcook them! they will explode!

Dont forget about the hambombers. I heard terrorists mix the beef with c4.

sneakers
06-17-2013, 01:49 AM
why do you need to bring a backpack into the stadium anyways?

Dapper Dan
06-17-2013, 02:07 AM

So you can finish your homework. Duh.

Tned
06-17-2013, 06:52 AM

I bring a mini backpack (small, can actually be folded up to wallet size when not in use) when I go to the stadium. I typically have a pair of binoculars, camera, some extra layers (I've only gone to cold weather games), gloves and stuff like that. Then of course I use it bring home/protect for any give aways, gameday magazine or anything I buy.

Tned
06-17-2013, 07:43 AM
Here's the clear totes the NFL will be selling that are approved for use in stadiums.

Dapper Dan
06-17-2013, 07:59 AM
Here's the clear totes the NFL will be selling that are approved for use in stadiums.

I can $ee clearly why the NFL would want to do thi$. $afety is very important. Whether it'$ in the $tand$ or on the field. They're $imply trying to protect people. Nothing el$e.

Mike
06-17-2013, 08:46 AM
Well, at least they are making my decision on whether or not to go to games easier.

Dzone
06-17-2013, 09:51 AM
Seems like its always going to be something new to ban. First shoes, then water bottles, thermoses, now back packs and purses...I would like to see fanny packs banned, just cuz they look so egregiously nerdy

CoachChaz
06-17-2013, 10:04 AM
I wont say the NFL/Broncos are taking away a freedom. Mostly because we give them away/have them taken away daily anyway for the purpose of "national security". But I can see where it can be an inconvenience to not be able to take a bag of some sort in with you. Especially for women.

Dapper Dan
06-17-2013, 10:12 AM
Crazy that I have to keep my tampons in a clear purse.

GEM
06-17-2013, 11:11 AM
gotta get padded down just to walk into the game. Pisses me off regardless. Ima start singing "America, the beautiful" next time they grab my junk.

They have had shootings and stabbings at NFL games before, it comes with the territory of so many people in a small place with alcohol. I don't get pissed, it's part of today's world.

GEM
06-17-2013, 11:13 AM
terrorist there, terrorist here, terrorists everywhere.

brb sending missile launchers to syria.

Post reported to the feds. Hide your weed, buddy. They're coming.

GEM
06-17-2013, 11:14 AM
How exactly is a private company in the NFL deciding what their customers can and can't bring into their place of business any sort of restriction on your freedom? You don't have to go to an NFL game if you don't want to.

Yep, and then God forbid something did happen, those same ones would be bitching that not enough was done.

Davii
06-17-2013, 11:35 AM
Yep, and then God forbid something did happen, those same ones would be bitching that not enough was done.

Exactly. Mr. "I'll sing God Bless America" up there would be the first to sue if he lost his leg from a bomb in a backpack, and ask, "why were people allowed to bring backpacks into the stadium?"

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-17-2013, 11:42 AM
I can understand why back packs would be banned, but what I find funny is they will allow small purses, but not fanny packs.....not that I own a fanny pack. :laugh:

GEM
06-17-2013, 11:55 AM
I don't carry any of that into the games. I carry money and phone in jeans, other than that, in the car or at home it all stays.

Davii
06-17-2013, 12:02 PM
Turftoad and Spikerman carry NTL at the games, but they don't use a backpack. NTL needs to carry crutches, but still, no backpack required.

BroncoWave
06-17-2013, 12:04 PM

That's always been one of by biggest worries having worked in sports and having gone to hundreds of pro and college sporting events. While some of the extra security measures can be a bit annoying, they are all worth it if one lunatic somewhere gets stopped from bringing a gun or bomb into a stadium.

I've always thought pro sporting events would be the dream target of a terrorist, so whatever security measures they want to put in are fine by me. It's not like the federal government is mandating to the NFL what their security measures have to be. If that were the case, this would be a different discussion.

Tned
06-17-2013, 12:08 PM
I can understand why back packs would be banned, but what I find funny is they will allow small purses, but not fanny packs.....not that I own a fanny pack. :laugh:

I think the reason is that they are only allowing very small purses, hand sized clutch, because they probably had to weigh the uproar of completely banning purses, against the damage that could be done. A fanny pack is quite a bit bigger than a clutch, and therefore could contain more dangerous stuff (weapon or bomb), I suppose.

Tned
06-17-2013, 12:09 PM
That's always been one of by biggest worries having worked in sports and having gone to hundreds of pro and college sporting events. While some of the extra security measures can be a bit annoying, they are all worth it if one lunatic somewhere gets stopped from bringing a gun or bomb into a stadium.

I've always thought pro sporting events would be the dream target of a terrorist, so whatever security measures they want to put in are fine by me. It's not like the federal government is mandating to the NFL what their security measures have to be. If that were the case, this would be a different discussion.

In Clancy's Sum of All Fears, terrorists detonated a nuclear bomb at a football stadium in Denver.

BroncoWave
06-17-2013, 12:10 PM
In Clancy's Sum of All Fears, terrorists detonated a nuclear bomb at a football stadium in Denver.

Yeah, I haven't read the book but I saw the movie. Definitely not something to watch/read before going to a big sporting event! :lol:

Tned
06-17-2013, 12:42 PM
Yeah, I haven't read the book but I saw the movie. Definitely not something to watch/read before going to a big sporting event! :lol:

I think the movie was Baltimore (might have been DC) and the book was Denver.

LKansky
06-17-2013, 01:48 PM
I think it's outrageous! When I go to sports stadiums, I carry a small 8" x 10" (non-expanding) purse that is just large enough to hold my wallet, cell phone, keys, reading glasses, a pen, lipstick and tissues. What about women with small children? While I can understand the concerns about pipe bombs and other destructive items, I don't think it warrants the measures that are being taken regarding purses. And diaper bags should be exempt.

OrangeHoof
06-17-2013, 02:53 PM
It's not like the federal government is mandating to the NFL what their security measures have to be. If that were the case, this would be a different discussion.

Yeah, if the feds were doing it, little old ladies would be strip searched while the muslims would be waived through. Wearing a wire bra in an airport is like an invitation to get molested.

aberdien
06-17-2013, 03:03 PM
I don't get what the big fuss is.

OrangeHoof
06-17-2013, 03:06 PM
What about women with small children?

NFL games are too expensive to waste the cost of a seat on a small child. Better to scalp them (the tickets, not the child).

aberdien
06-17-2013, 03:13 PM
It seems mighty irresponsible to take a child small enough to wear diapers to an event as loud as a football game.

Dapper Dan
06-17-2013, 03:16 PM
It seems mighty irresponsible to take a child small enough to wear diapers to an event as loud as a football game.

I don't know. I didn't think Mile High was that loud when I was there. Of course, Orton was quarterback and everyone had lost hope after the coin flip.

LTC Pain
06-17-2013, 03:42 PM

Oh, bullshit. I took my 14 month old grandaughter to the training camp scrimmage at Sports Authority Field last year and she did fine. Sure, she jumped the first time everyone got loud but hardily joined them after that.

ShaneFalco
06-17-2013, 05:15 PM
They have had shootings and stabbings at NFL games before, it comes with the territory of so many people in a small place with alcohol. I don't get pissed, it's part of today's world.
In cali, where people cant handle sports.

Post reported to the feds. Hide your weed, buddy. They're coming.
NSA already read it.

Exactly. Mr. "I'll sing God Bless America" up there would be the first to sue if he lost his leg from a bomb in a backpack, and ask, "why were people allowed to bring backpacks into the stadium?"
Dont you think your assuming a little too much?

I think it's outrageous! When I go to sports stadiums, I carry a small 8" x 10" (non-expanding) purse that is just large enough to hold my wallet, cell phone, keys, reading glasses, a pen, lipstick and tissues. What about women with small children? While I can understand the concerns about pipe bombs and other destructive items, I don't think it warrants the measures that are being taken regarding purses. And diaper bags should be exempt.
terrorist diapers.

BroncoWave
06-17-2013, 05:43 PM

NSA already read it.

terrorist diapers.

No one is making you go to an NFL game. The NFL is a private business, they can do what they want.

slim
06-17-2013, 05:57 PM
I bring a mini backpack (small, can actually be folded up to wallet size when not in use) when I go to the stadium. I typically have a pair of binoculars, camera, some extra layers (I've only gone to cold weather games), gloves and stuff like that. Then of course I use it bring home/protect for any give aways, gameday magazine or anything I buy.

OMG...Dent wears a fanny pack!

Tned
06-17-2013, 06:17 PM
OMG...Dent wears a fanny pack!

Ain't no ____ fanny pack. It's a backpack.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-17-2013, 06:50 PM
I think the reason is that they are only allowing very small purses, hand sized clutch, because they probably had to weigh the uproar of completely banning purses, against the damage that could be done. A fanny pack is quite a bit bigger than a clutch, and therefore could contain more dangerous stuff (weapon or bomb), I suppose.

The dimensions outlined in the purse allowed were 12x6x12. I understood that to mean it could be 12 inches deep, 6 inches wide, and 12 inches long. That's quite a bit bigger than a fanny pack.

Davii
06-17-2013, 06:52 PM

Nope.

ShaneFalco
06-17-2013, 07:07 PM
No one is making you go to an NFL game. The NFL is a private business, they can do what they want.

where did i say otherwise? i think its just silly. But NFL can do what it wants, despite objections.

Im just poking fun that they actually think terrorists tailgate.

Davii
06-17-2013, 07:17 PM
where did i say otherwise? i think its just silly. But NFL can do what it wants, despite objections.

Well, they apparently go to college and parties. Is it that much of a leap to imagine there might be a terrorist at a tailgate? Is it hard to imagine a potential terrorist exploiting a weak security posture to take advantage?

ShaneFalco
06-17-2013, 07:18 PM
We have big brother now, we are safe at stadiums, no worries.

BroncoWave
06-17-2013, 07:19 PM

You don't think an event with 80 thousand people packed in tightly together would be an enticing terrorist target? You are out of your mind then. I would imagine an NFL game is one of the biggest targets for an attempt at a terrorist attack.

ShaneFalco
06-17-2013, 07:31 PM
They could just have a drone hover over every game. It could do flybys for the halftime show. With giant letters across the billboard "For Your Safety".

Then the crowd could chant this

YZdJRDpLHbw

Davii
06-17-2013, 07:35 PM
They could just have a drone hover over every game. It could do flybys for the halftime show. With giant letters across the billboard "For Your Safety".

Good thing nobody is forcing you to go...

Tned
06-17-2013, 07:43 PM
The dimensions outlined in the purse allowed were 12x6x12. I understood that to mean it could be 12 inches deep, 6 inches wide, and 12 inches long. That's quite a bit bigger than a fanny pack.

No. Those dimensions are the max size for a clear bag/tote. In addition to the 12x6x12 clear bag/tote, a woman can bring a small, hand sized clutch (that doesn't have to be clear.

FanInAZ
06-17-2013, 07:48 PM
1) I did security at perfume warehouse several years ago that basically had this same policy as an anti-theft policy, so this isn't exactly an unprecedented policy.

2) This is taking place on what is considered privet property, even tough tax payers paid for them, and are therefore subject to the same privet property laws as your own home. Just as you have the right to decide who & what you'll allow into your home, so those who are leasing these statiums have the right to decide who & what they allow into the statums at the time they are leasing them.

Tned
06-17-2013, 07:48 PM
Come on guys, I posted this here to talk about the impact on fans going to the stadium, not to get into a political discussion about big brother, drones or other such stuff. We ALL know that belongs in the politics forum and not here.

ShaneFalco
06-17-2013, 07:49 PM
Good thing nobody is forcing you to go...

ticket prices go up every year now. I doubt i could justify dropping $400 on something i watch on TV. Even tho i do miss the super pretzels they serve at the stadium. SOOO GOOD.

Come on guys, I posted this here to talk about the impact on fans going to the stadium, not to get into a political discussion about big brother, drones or other such stuff. We ALL know that belongs in the politics forum and not here.

sorry TNED was just a little fun.

Davii
06-17-2013, 07:57 PM
Very minimal impact TNed. Nothing you could carry in a backpack that you can't carry in a clear tote.

Dapper Dan
06-17-2013, 08:03 PM
Remember when schools were strict about forcing the use clear or mesh backpacks? That lasted about a minute. I remember suddenly Wal Mart was filled with backpacks like that. I think this policy will stick though. It will help keep people from sneaking in a soda or a bottle of water.

Tned
06-17-2013, 08:15 PM
Remember when schools were strict about forcing the use clear or mesh backpacks? That lasted about a minute. I remember suddenly Wal Mart was filled with backpacks like that. I think this policy will stick though. It will help keep people from sneaking in a soda or a bottle of water.

Remember when cars ran on leaded gasoline? No, well back then they didn't have clear backpacks...

Dapper Dan
06-17-2013, 08:21 PM
Remember when cars ran on leaded gasoline? No, well back then they didn't have clear backpacks...

No. No one remembers that, old man.

Dzone
06-17-2013, 08:44 PM
Are halloween costumes allowed? Im thinking of the black hole guys in Oakland. Are Darth Vader masks allowed?

Dapper Dan
06-17-2013, 08:51 PM
Are halloween costumes allowed? Im thinking of the black hole guys in Oakland. Are Darth Vader masks allowed?

That's not a bad question. If you ban a medium sized purse, can you allow massive, spiked shoulder pads? Maybe if they're clear spiked shoulder pads?

LTC Pain
06-18-2013, 07:37 AM
No. No one remembers that, old man.

I certainly remember it you young snott :)

Npba900
06-18-2013, 11:27 AM
We have big brother now, we are safe at stadiums, no worries.

I think restricting backpacks and coolers is the right step for security we live in a different world today. However, the reality here is no matter what security policies-measures are put in place to keep professional and college sporting events fans safe nothing is fool proof when it comes to the human aspect of terrorism-terrorist because you are dealing with the human wild card of the terrorist.

No doubt foreign and domestic terrorist have/will be targeting sporting events, you just gotta hope their attacks are foiled in time. My guess is Patriots Acts I-II, surveillance, e-mail reading, and data mining must be working as no terrorist attacks have occured at college basketball, baseball and football games, NFL games, NBA games, Super Bowls, MLB and World Series.

GEM
06-18-2013, 12:55 PM

NSA already read it.

terrorist diapers.

A business is allowed to do what they want, you don't like what they want, don't go to their business. :shrugs:

GEM
06-18-2013, 12:56 PM

Did you poke fun that they didn't think terrorists ran marathons....oh wait.

GEM
06-18-2013, 12:57 PM

Then the crowd could chant this

YZdJRDpLHbw

Do you wear a hat made of tin foil and believe that aliens absconded with your brain at some point? I would contend that maybe they did, they just never returned it. :D

dogfish
06-18-2013, 06:40 PM
back on topic. . .

the eagles are going to give stadium-compliant bags to all of their season ticket holders (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/18/eagles-sending-bags-for-stadium-use-to-season-ticket-holders/#comments)

Tned
06-18-2013, 06:48 PM
back on topic. . .

the eagles are going to give stadium-compliant bags to all of their season ticket holders (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/18/eagles-sending-bags-for-stadium-use-to-season-ticket-holders/#comments)

Did you see this Broncos....

ShaneFalco
06-18-2013, 07:02 PM
A business is allowed to do what they want, you don't like what they want, don't go to their business. :shrugs:

show me where i said otherwise. :shrugs:

Did you poke fun that they didn't think terrorists ran marathons....oh wait.
good thing we have NSA spying on all of us to stop things like that.... oh wait.

Do you wear a hat made of tin foil and believe that aliens absconded with your brain at some point? I would contend that maybe they did, they just never returned it. :D
Yes, Aliens abducting me from 1876. I was busy helping write the constitution on hemp paper. :)

Dapper Dan
06-18-2013, 07:32 PM
I thought weed made people chillax?

Army Bronco
06-18-2013, 07:36 PM
I thought weed made people chillax? Just until they get the munchies.

ShaneFalco
06-18-2013, 07:46 PM
no worries i just bought some Bugles from 7 -11

Dapper Dan
06-18-2013, 08:04 PM
no worries i just bought some Bugles from 7 -11

I heard the government siezed some 7-11 stores.

sneakers
06-22-2013, 01:35 AM

you are going to a football game, not on a birdwatching hike

pnbronco
06-28-2013, 10:09 AM
back on topic. . .

Wow I'm glad I saw this here first. I'm sure I would of heard about it at camp. Since I go for a long day I just take my tote/purse because I have everything but the kitchen sink in it so it will be a adjustment at first.

I wish the Broncos would do this so they can show that it's about safety and not money.

After going through most of my project bags I found one that would work. I'm sure I'll just buy a Bronco one, but then again it depends on how much they charge. I would rather contact my vendor that I got the bag from and buy a few more from her. I'm just glad we can still take in a sealed bottle water. The bag is not that big so I will have to plan ahead of what to pack so my large wallet can fit it in too. Thanks for the heads up Tned.....:D