PDA

View Full Version : CP3, Dwight Howard teammates?

Denver Native (Carol)
06-14-2013, 11:35 AM
Chris Paul and Dwight Howard have been in consistent contact recently about the possibility of becoming teammates next season, according to league sources.

Paul and Howard will be the biggest free agents on the market this summer, and their desire is to play together, the sources said.

"They would love to play together if somebody can make it happen," one of the sources said.

The Atlanta Hawks could make it happen. Atlanta, which is Howard's hometown, has the cap room to sign both players to maximum-salaried contracts.

rest - http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9386386/chris-paul-dwight-howard-hoping-play-together-sources

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-14-2013, 11:38 AM
That would certainly put Atlanta on the map. They still don't have any shooters, but they could at least be a playoff contender. It would give them a good reason to move Josh Smith out of town and put Al Horford at the 4 spot.

CoachChaz
06-14-2013, 02:08 PM
I have a sick feeling Cuban is going to try and make this work for the Mavs. It would be tricky for him to pull it off, but if anyone can...it'd be him.

Poet
06-14-2013, 02:12 PM
I know that I have always been a harsh critic of Dwight Howard. I may be out of touch with him as a player. Do people really have that much faith in him, still?

BroncoWave
06-14-2013, 02:13 PM
I have a sick feeling Cuban is going to try and make this work for the Mavs. It would be tricky for him to pull it off, but if anyone can...it'd be him.

I will never understand why you hate it when NBA owners try to make their teams better. Mark Cuban would be stupid not to try to make that happen.

Ravage!!!
06-14-2013, 02:16 PM
I know that I have always been a harsh critic of Dwight Howard. I may be out of touch with him as a player. Do people really have that much faith in him, still?

I don't think they do after these playoffs. He FINALLY showed up last night, but has been pretty non-existant throughout the postsesason so far. Now I know some will give him the "but he's hurt" excuse, but I think that although he has the skills to be dominant, it seems those skills are very inconsistent. Never knowing WHEN they will pop up.

Ravage!!!
06-14-2013, 02:17 PM
I will never understand why you hate it when NBA owners try to make their teams better. Mark Cuban would be stupid not to try to make that happen.

I don't think Coach was saying anything negative about Cuban trying to make it happen.

BroncoWave
06-14-2013, 02:18 PM
I don't think Coach was saying anything negative about Cuban trying to make it happen.

There was another thread in which Coach said that he hates NBA teams that try to buy titles, and he would consider stopping rooting for the Mavs if Cuban tried to buy a title in the future.

BroncoWave
06-14-2013, 02:19 PM
This is the post I am referring to:

It goes beyond him being a rival. And the Mavs may soon be on my out list, too if Cuban decides to try to buy another ring.

CoachChaz
06-14-2013, 03:13 PM
I can understand adding pieces. But when you go out and add 2 or 3 BIG pieces to a 12 man roster, it makes a world of difference. I'm not talking about something like Peyton Manning and Wes Welker over 2 years. They are a part of a 53 man roster and while their performance is significant, it's only a portion and they fall under the hard salary cap. The vast majority of the roster is developed by the team

But the Yankees dropping a ton on someone every year, or the Heat basically having 2 people they actually drafted and developed is a different ball game. It takes the competitive fun out of the game when teams just go out and sign other teams players to create their own team. Adding pieces as needed is one thing. Buying an entire team is another.

Poet
06-14-2013, 03:17 PM
Did you have as much of an issue with the way Boston got their big three? Does the fact that Allen and KG were acquired in trades matter at all?

CoachChaz
06-14-2013, 03:34 PM
Did you have as much of an issue with the way Boston got their big three? Does the fact that Allen and KG were acquired in trades matter at all?

It does. I have no problem with S.A. because they drafted theirs and I really dont have much of a problem with Boston because they didnt go throwing money out at players and there wasnt any kind of collusion amonst the players to "join forces". But this crap of "Hey bro...let's go play somewhere together so we can create a dominant team and still get paid because that team will dump all their current players and be able to sign other good pieces because good vets will want to play with us for the chance to get a ring and they'll be the ones taking a paycut" is bullshit.

It is possible to beat teams like that without using their formula, as Dallas proved 2 years ago, but it's getting harder and harder. If you cant afford a "big 3" your chances are slim. Pretty much have to catch lightning in a bottle at that point, because let's be honest...how many truly dominant players are in the NBA? 12? 15? And when they all play for 4 or 5 teams, the competition level takes a nose dive.

Poet
06-14-2013, 03:40 PM
It does. I have no problem with S.A. because they drafted theirs and I really dont have much of a problem with Boston because they didnt go throwing money out at players and there wasnt any kind of collusion amonst the players to "join forces". But this crap of "Hey bro...let's go play somewhere together so we can create a dominant team and still get paid because that team will dump all their current players and be able to sign other good pieces because good vets will want to play with us for the chance to get a ring and they'll be the ones taking a paycut" is bullshit.

It is possible to beat teams like that without using their formula, as Dallas proved 2 years ago, but it's getting harder and harder. If you cant afford a "big 3" your chances are slim. Pretty much have to catch lightning in a bottle at that point, because let's be honest...how many truly dominant players are in the NBA? 12? 15? And when they all play for 4 or 5 teams, the competition level takes a nose dive.

I gotcha. I think the answer to the big three formula is building a team like Detroit had. But finding guys who can play great defense and get 20 points a pop is hard. Finding defenders like Wallace is also really hard.

BroncoWave
06-14-2013, 03:44 PM
I gotcha. I think the answer to the big three formula is building a team like Detroit had. But finding guys who can play great defense and get 20 points a pop is hard. Finding defenders like Wallace is also really hard.

Memphis and Indiana are built that way and they made good runs this year, but it's just so hard to win a championship that way. People always look at what Detroit did, but that is the exception, not the rule.

Think of this for a second. Other than that Pistons team, every single title winner since 1991 has had either Michael Jordan, Hakeem Olajuwon, Kobe/Shaq, Duncan/Robinson/Ginobili/Parker, Dirk Nowitzki, Pierce/KG or Wade/LeBron on the team. You just have to have top-level superstars to win in the NBA.

Poet
06-14-2013, 03:50 PM
I agree with that BTB. Now, I don't think the Pacers were nearly as dominant as the Pistons were defensively, but your point has a lot of merit. Even if my argument is right, it still relies on being able to find that many capable players.

Star power means more in the NBA;essentially you're playing with a ten man team.

I've pretty much stopped watching the NBA because of this. It's boring. I prefer a league like the NFL any day of the week.

CoachChaz
06-15-2013, 09:45 AM

Memphis and Indiana are built that way and they made good runs this year, but it's just so hard to win a championship that way. People always look at what Detroit did, but that is the exception, not the rule.

Think of this for a second. Other than that Pistons team, every single title winner since 1991 has had either Michael Jordan, Hakeem Olajuwon, Kobe/Shaq, Duncan/Robinson/Ginobili/Parker, Dirk Nowitzki, Pierce/KG or Wade/LeBron on the team. You just have to have top-level superstars to win in the NBA.

I agree. My problem is teams that go out and buy 2 or 3 of them. To me it says the organization is capable of buying titles an incapable of developing and winning them. In reality, the championship belongs to the players separately and not the organization. Why should a team get credit for a title for doing not much more than signing checks. Besides...do you think James, Wade and Bosh care what name is on the front of their jerseys? I highly doubt it

Ravage!!!
06-15-2013, 01:19 PM
I agree. My problem is teams that go out and buy 2 or 3 of them. To me it says the organization is capable of buying titles an incapable of developing and winning them. In reality, the championship belongs to the players separately and not the organization. Why should a team get credit for a title for doing not much more than signing checks. Besides...do you think James, Wade and Bosh care what name is on the front of their jerseys? I highly doubt it

??? What?

I mean, I "kinda" get what you are saying, but that is pretty much a "dead" perspective in professional sports. I don't blame ANY team for signing the best FA's they can possibly afford to make their team better. That is what it is all about. Winning championships. No one looks back and says "yeah, but..." Your team name is on that Winning banner, and that is alllllllllll that matters.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-15-2013, 05:17 PM
The Los Angeles Clippers and the Boston Celtics have formally opened serious discussions on multiple transactions that could potentially add up to a seismic trade arrangement that ultimately lands Celtics stars Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce and coach Doc Rivers in L.A., according to sources close to the process.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Clippers are concurrently weighing the prospect of offering star forward Blake Griffin in tandem with prized young guard Eric Bledsoe to the Los Angeles Lakers in a sign-and-trade pitch to land Dwight Howard after July 1.

The initial talks with Boston, sources said Saturday, are focused on the Clippers satisfying Boston's compensation demands to let Rivers out of his lucrative contract and corresponding trade proposals aimed at bringing Garnett to town with Rivers.

rest - http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9390303/los-angeles-clippers-believe-land-doc-rivers-kevin-garnett-paul-pierce-according-sources

Well - guess this is one way for Howard/CP3 to end up on same team

MOtorboat
06-15-2013, 05:26 PM
That would be a blockbuster.

Lakers get:
Blake Griffin from Clippers
Eric Bledsoe from Clippers

Clippers get:
Doc Rivers from Celtics
Kevin Garnett from Celtics

Celtics get:
Chris Paul from Clippers
Dwight Howard from Lakers

Poet
06-15-2013, 06:32 PM
I do not want Howard on my Celtics. Paul would be intriguing, but then we'd trade one of my favorite players, Rondo.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-16-2013, 11:46 AM
I do not want Howard on my Celtics. Paul would be intriguing, but then we'd trade one of my favorite players, Rondo.

Nothing in the article I posted indicated either Howard or Paul would go to the Celtics, and nothing in the article mentioned trading Rondo.

new article, with details:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9391832/sources-los-angeles-clippers-resistant-trading-eric-bledsoe-boston-celtics-deal

MOtorboat
06-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Nothing in the article I posted indicated either Howard or Paul would go to the Celtics, and nothing in the article mentioned trading Rondo.

new article, with details:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9391832/sources-los-angeles-clippers-resistant-trading-eric-bledsoe-boston-celtics-deal

That's my bad. I read that as the Celtics would get Howard.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-16-2013, 03:14 PM
SAN ANTONIO -- As if the coaching carousel wasn't spinning out of control already, the NBA Finals were consumed on Saturday by news of a possible trade.

The possible trade of a coach.

Seriously, the tail is now wagging the dog. The government is spying on us, sales of George Orwell's "1984" are skyrocketing and basketball coaches are getting traded.

rest - http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ken-berger/22432900/clippers-celtics-dealings-over-doc-reveal-a-coaching-industry-in-chaos

BroncoWave
06-16-2013, 05:44 PM
That would be a blockbuster.

Lakers get:
Blake Griffin from Clippers
Eric Bledsoe from Clippers

Clippers get:
Doc Rivers from Celtics
Kevin Garnett from Celtics

Celtics get:
Chris Paul from Clippers
Dwight Howard from Lakers

The Lakers would be the HUGE losers in that deal. I think Griffin is one of the most overrated players in the league. I think it would be a wash or even a downgrade from Howard. Gordon would be the key. He's a good player when he's interested and healthy, but both of those things have been rare for him the past few years.

MOtorboat
06-16-2013, 05:49 PM
The Lakers would be the HUGE losers in that deal. I think Griffin is one of the most overrated players in the league. I think it would be a wash or even a downgrade from Howard. Gordon would be the key. He's a good player when he's interested and healthy, but both of those things have been rare for him the past few years.

They would. But I read the article wrong.

The way I re-read it, the Celtics would be the clear loser.

BroncoWave
06-16-2013, 05:52 PM
They would. But I read the article wrong.

The way I re-read it, the Celtics would be the clear loser.

Well it seems like the Celtics are content to rebuild now. Unless they can attract two star players to put with Rondo, I think rebuilding is the right move for them. They got all they could ask for out of Pierce and KG.

CoachChaz
06-16-2013, 09:34 PM

??? What?

I mean, I "kinda" get what you are saying, but that is pretty much a "dead" perspective in professional sports. I don't blame ANY team for signing the best FA's they can possibly afford to make their team better. That is what it is all about. Winning championships. No one looks back and says "yeah, but..." Your team name is on that Winning banner, and that is alllllllllll that matters.

I think my issue is more in line with the collusion that takes place to make it happen

Denver Native (Carol)
06-17-2013, 01:25 PM
The Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Clippers are discussing possible compromises to including guard Eric Bledsoe into the Kevin Garnett-Doc Rivers deal with hopes of completing an agreement on Monday, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Discussions over a blockbuster deal reached an impasse on Saturday when Boston general manager Danny Ainge held firm that Bledsoe had to be a part of package that included DeAndre Jordan and a first-round pick, but sources say that Boston has shown a willingness to find another asset to supplant Bledsoe and complete the complicated deal, sources said.

rest - http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--celtics--clippers-resume-push-to-get-kevin-garnett-doc-rivers-deal-done-160920220.html

Denver Native (Carol)
06-19-2013, 07:29 PM
Discussions between the Los Angeles Clippers and Boston Celtics on a deal that would send Kevin Garnett and coach Doc Rivers to Los Angeles resumed Wednesday, just one day after they were declared "off" by both sides, sources told ESPN.

One source close to the talks expressed optimism that a deal could be done as soon as Wednesday night, with the Clippers swapping DeAndre Jordan for Garnett and Boston receiving two first-round draft picks as compensation for Rivers.

Rivers and Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge met Wednesday evening with the hopes of settling the coach's future with the club, sources told ESPN. No resolution was reached, but Rivers has told associates that he expects to have an answer soon, possibly as soon as Thursday morning.

rest - http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9404760/trade-talks-los-angeles-clippers-boston-celtics-back-sources-say-doc-rivers-danny-ainge-meeting

Poet
06-19-2013, 07:35 PM
I just wish Doc would stay. I know that he wants to be on a winning team, but that dude is probably my favorite coach in sports.