PDA

View Full Version : Broncos sign Ball, Webster

Denver Native (Carol)
06-13-2013, 04:07 PM
When it comes to running backs, the prevailing attitude in the NFL is out with the old, in with the new.

The Broncos have applied that literally. On the same day they cut veteran running back Willis McGahee, the Broncos signed rookie running back Montee Ball.

Also signed was third-round cornerback Kayvon Webster, putting all Denver draft picks under contract expect first-round defensive tackle Sylvester Williams.

rest - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/13/broncos-sign-ball-webster/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

MOtorboat
06-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Get 'em signed, get 'em in.

LTC Pain
06-13-2013, 04:12 PM
hua!

Rick
06-13-2013, 04:14 PM
Sounds like all that is left is Williams.

Get him signed, extend Clady, let's go win a superbowl :)

TXBRONC
06-13-2013, 05:51 PM
Good lets get these contracts out of the way so we concentrate on some football.

BroncoWave
06-13-2013, 06:02 PM
With the re-worked rookie wage scale, getting them signed before camp really isn't an issue anymore. I don't even think there has been a big time rookie holdout since the lockout.

Chef Zambini
06-14-2013, 11:31 AM
maybe deserving its own thread,
ROOKIE CONTRACTS;
is there also a standard for the length of contract?
2year, 3 ?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-14-2013, 11:34 AM
ROOKIE CONTRACTS;
2year, 3 ?

The standard length is 4 years. Some of the first rounders have club options for a 5th year.

Chef Zambini
06-14-2013, 12:04 PM
if I was a rookie with TALENT, I would have my agent work a 2 year deal so I could get PAID sooner, while I am still considered YOUNG with tread on my tires !

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-14-2013, 12:34 PM
if I was a rookie with TALENT, I would have my agent work a 2 year deal so I could get PAID sooner, while I am still considered YOUNG with tread on my tires !

It would never happen in today's NFL.

Chef Zambini
06-14-2013, 12:46 PM
why not?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-14-2013, 01:23 PM
why not?

Well, if it was possible don't you think it would be happening? Influential agents and top prospects would surely have tried.

The draft pick's salaries and contracts are fairly well controlled by the CBA. No team is going to agree to pay a guy millions of dollars only to let him go when he actually starts to produce. Most players, even high draft picks, don't really start to hit their potential until their 3rd year.

MOtorboat
06-14-2013, 04:38 PM
ROOKIE CONTRACTS;
2year, 3 ?

why not?

The length of drafted rookies contracts is 4 years. Period. End of discussion.

First rounders have a team option for a fifth season. Undrafted sign three year contracts.

Chef Zambini
06-14-2013, 04:46 PM
seems like a f'd up deal for running backs, paid the least when they are in their prime!

Chef Zambini
06-14-2013, 04:47 PM
Well, if it was possible don't you think it would be happening? Influential agents and top prospects would surely have tried.

The draft pick's salaries and contracts are fairly well controlled by the CBA. No team is going to agree to pay a guy millions of dollars only to let him go when he actually starts to produce. Most players, even high draft picks, don't really start to hit their potential until their 3rd year.perhaps, but that is definatly NOT the case for RBs.

gregbroncs
06-14-2013, 09:31 PM

The draft pick's salaries and contracts are fairly well controlled by the CBA. No team is going to agree to pay a guy millions of dollars only to let him go when he actually starts to produce. Most players, even high draft picks, don't really start to hit their potential until their 3rd year.How scary is this last statement to other teams' QB's when they think about Von Miller? Sorry to go off topic but that is what I thought when I read it.

Davii
06-14-2013, 09:35 PM
The contract length is also a CBA issue. The wage scale and length are already predetermined.

Chef Zambini
06-15-2013, 10:16 AM
are you saying that a rookie (runningback) is NOT allowed to negotiate a 2 year contract according to the CBA ?
this seems grossly unfair !
I will never again chastize a player for trying to re-negotiate his current contract if the CBA restricted the length of the contract to begin with !

shank
06-15-2013, 10:22 AM
are you saying that a rookie (runningback) is NOT allowed to negotiate a 2 year contract according to the CBA ?
this seems grossly unfair !
I will never again chastize a player for trying to re-negotiate his current contract if the CBA restricted the length of the contract to begin with !

good, that means less threads.

Ravage!!!
06-15-2013, 10:34 AM
ROOKIE CONTRACTS;
2year, 3 ?

I believe that 1st round picks are signed to 5 year contracts.. which is what the NFL did to try and add value to the first round picks. Teams will move back UP into the first round because you can sign those picks to 5 year deals instead of 4 in the second round.

and you are right. It's a really screwed up system for nearly ALL skill positions, especially RBs. You enter the NFL at 23, and you are 28 before you are through your rookie contract.