PDA

View Full Version : Comparing our 1st round picks to our division rival's

FanInAZ
06-12-2013, 09:21 PM
Since 2003, I count 5 players of our that might be consider elite when compare what our division rivals have taken. Remember I’m only comparing them to what our division rivals have taken since 2003, not claiming that any of these players are HoF

Broncos: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/draft-finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=1936&year_max=2013&type=&round_min=1&round_max=1&slot_min=1&slot_max=500&league_id=&team_id=den&pos=ALL&college_id=all&conference=any&show=all

Von Miller, LB (2011) He definantly has gotten off to a HoF caliber start during his 1st 2 seasons. I'm not putting him yet, but so far so good.

Demaryius Thomas, WR (2010) Best WR taken by any AFCW team in the 1st round since 2003.

Ryan Clady, T (2008) Best OL taken by any AFCW team in the 1st round since 2003.

Jay Cutler, QB (2006) Yes, he has a lot of detractors, but he’s still better anyone the Raiders or Chiefs have taken.

D.J. Williams, LB (2004) Again, he has his detractors, but there are only 1 or 2 Raiders that one could make a case for being better.

Chargers: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/draft-finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=1936&year_max=2013&type=&round_min=1&round_max=1&slot_min=1&slot_max=500&league_id=&team_id=sdg&pos=ALL&college_id=all&conference=any&show=all

Shawne Merriman, LB (2005) Personally, I think he should be disqualified because of his cheating through steroid use. However, there are some Broncos fans that want to disregard Romo’s steroid use because he helped us win the SBs. If you’re going to make excuses for Romo, than you have to play by the same rules with Merriman, even though Romo & Merriman didn’t follow the rules that everyone else was require to play by.

Eli Manning, QB (2004) He has his detractors, AND 2 SB RINGS, with the team they traded him to.

Phillip Rivers, QB (2004) He also has his detractors, but you have to be fair and acknowledge that he was also the focal point of the Chargers offense during their 6 years of divisional dominants.

Chiefs: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/draft-finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=1936&year_max=2013&type=&round_min=1&round_max=1&slot_min=1&slot_max=500&league_id=&team_id=kan&pos=ALL&college_id=all&conference=any&show=all

The only Chief that I can see being in this conversation:

Larry Johnson, RB (2003) I believe that only Miller & Thomas have proven to be better players for us.

Raiders: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/draft-finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=1936&year_max=2013&type=&round_min=1&round_max=1&slot_min=1&slot_max=500&league_id=&team_id=rai&pos=ALL&college_id=all&conference=any&show=all

The Raiders’ 2 best pick:

Darren McFadden, RB (2008) If he didn’t miss at least 3 games a year due to injuries, a strong case could be made that he’s a good as anyone we have taken.

Nnamdi Asomugha, DB (2003) A case could be made that he is better than 1 or 2 of our best 5, but it’s not a lock.

Chef Zambini
06-14-2013, 11:55 AM
I dont understand the value of this comparison / exercise.
what does it matter?
the chargers also drafted BREES. what value do brees and eli and CUTLER hold for the teams that drafted them?
its not really about the draftee, its about what value ANY draftee has for his team !BTW. I noticed you neglected to list TT as one of our FRDC.
its all a crap shoot !

FanInAZ
06-14-2013, 04:23 PM
I dont understand the value of this comparison / exercise.
what does it matter?
the chargers also drafted BREES. what value do brees and eli and CUTLER hold for the teams that drafted them?
its not really about the draftee, its about what value ANY draftee has for his team !BTW. I noticed you neglected to list TT as one of our FRDC.
its all a crap shoot !

Can I quote you the next time everyone starts mocking the Raiders for their draft flops, like is currently happening in the Rolando McClain http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/552970-Troubled-linebacker-Rolando-McClain-returns-to-Alabama-after-NFL-retirement I might also want to quote you when the next time someone bashes our draft flops, which you tend to be a very active poster in.

I guess you could say that I started this thread because for all of the mistakes that we have made, which I know you can site off the top of your head, I really do believe that we have done better than any of our division rivals over the past 10 years. This is not only why we are the current "King of the Mountain," but also why we won't be getting dethroned anytime in the near future.

Poet
06-14-2013, 04:32 PM
I think it's a fun exercise. Nice thread and I enjoy your objectivity. Are you going to do the defensive positions at some point?

FanInAZ
06-14-2013, 04:38 PM
I think it's a fun exercise. Nice thread and I enjoy your objectivity. Are you going to do the defensive positions at some point?

I'm actually focusing most of my attention on a book on Autism that I'm writing. That's why almost all of my post for the last year or so have pretty much been "quicks" that I don't have to spend a lot of research time on whenever I just want to rest my brain on a trivial subjects. An assessment of all of the D players would be too time consuming.

Chef Zambini
06-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Can I quote you the next time everyone starts mocking the Raiders for their draft flops, like is currently happening in the Rolando McClain http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/552970-Troubled-linebacker-Rolando-McClain-returns-to-Alabama-after-NFL-retirement I might also want to quote you when the next time someone bashes our draft flops, which you tend to be a very active poster in.

I guess you could say that I started this thread because for all of the mistakes that we have made, which I know you can site off the top of your head, I really do believe that we have done better than any of our division rivals over the past 10 years. This is not only why we are the current "King of the Mountain," but also why we won't be getting dethroned anytime in the near future.respectfully, my AZ cohort, we are on top because of JFE and his ability to land PFM !
players were abandoning ship following the JMCD disaster and the tebow experiment.
JFE brought us credability and stability.
and he has done well at drafting too.
the chargers drafted well, they just FAILED to hold on to their draftees !

Poet
06-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Godspeed.

FanInAZ
06-14-2013, 04:50 PM
my AZ cohort

The thought just crossed my mind that in all the years since we crossed paths on Broncosfreak (I started on there May 1999), you & I've never met in person. You always watch games on the east side that I can't get home from due to me using public transportation. We need to get together sometime closer to my side of town.

Chef Zambini
06-14-2013, 05:00 PM
this year we will take in a game together!
maybe the superbowl !

FanInAZ
06-14-2013, 05:11 PM
this year we will take in a game together!
maybe the superbowl !

I’d say pick a spot near the lightrail that has great wings, but I can't picture any sports lounges near the line other than in the downtown area. I could take the Peoria bus to Shea in Scottsdale for the late afternoon game, but it wouldn't get me home from a night game.

Chef Zambini
06-14-2013, 07:21 PM
ightrail to tempe or downtown PHX, I am good with either.
there is a sports bar in the shadow of the hyatt downtown, (just south) that serves great food and wings.

Simple Jaded
06-16-2013, 09:34 PM
I have to say that there is no way in hell Larry Johnson is better than any of Denver's picks you've mentioned. Imo.

FanInAZ
06-17-2013, 04:54 PM
I have to say that there is no way in hell Larry Johnson is better than any of Denver's picks you've mentioned. Imo.

I'm sure there are a number of fans here that want us to cut D.J. Williams. I'm sure they would've been happy if had trade Williams for Johnson (in his prime) straight up.