PDA

View Full Version : Willis McGahee returns to Broncos minicamp, but still a Denver spectator

Denver Native (Carol)
06-11-2013, 07:34 PM
Broncos running back Willis McGahee was back on the field with the team Tuesday, but he spent more time watching the offense than playing in it.

McGahee, who has stayed away from the bulk of the team's offseason program while working out in Miami, reported with the other Broncos players Monday night for this week's three-day minicamp. In the Broncos' offseason program all but this week's minicamp is voluntary for players, but this week is a mandatory affair.

McGahee got only a few plays in team drills — he called it "a couple" — and largely spent the day as a spectator. McGahee was asked after practice if he thinks he would have received a bigger workload if had he attended workouts at the Broncos' Dove Valley complex in recent weeks: "Probably, but hey we've got seven other running backs."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23436784/willis-mcgahee-returns-broncos-minicamp-denver

Denver Native (Carol)
06-11-2013, 07:38 PM
Broncos rookie running back Montee Ball was asked following the team’s minicamp practice Tuesday if he has received pointers from 16-year NFL quarterback and teammate Peyton Manning.

“Oh yeah, all the time,” Ball said. “He shoots me some text messages.

“He just tells me—the most important thing is don’t become complacent. A lot of players come in to the league and feel a sense of entitlement. For me he told me just to keep working.

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/06/11/peyton-manning-to-montee-ball-stay-hungry-kid/20033/

Army Bronco
06-11-2013, 07:56 PM
null I really hope Ball turns into something special for us. Not just for us as fans but for him being a Broncos fan.

TXBRONC
06-11-2013, 08:21 PM
I would like to see McGahee finish his career in Denver because he's been solid player for us I think he would have good influence on Montee.

Broncos Mtnman
06-11-2013, 08:30 PM
Who says he isn't participating?

The article says he's been a spectator. That's pretty much going to be his situation this year, on or off of team.

So, actually, he's practicing for his new situation.

TXBRONC
06-11-2013, 08:54 PM
Who says he isn't participating?

The article says he's been a spectator. That's pretty much going to be his situation this year, on or off of team.

So, actually, he's practicing for his new situation.

If he stays I think he'll be the lead back at least temporarily.

Bosco
06-12-2013, 09:49 AM
If he stays I think he'll be the lead back at least temporarily.

Problem is he probably doesn't stay. He's an older one trick pony power runner whose game doesn't translate well to a Manning offense while facing stiff competition from younger, more talented and more versatile players.

Willis is at the end of the line as both a Bronco and as a professional football player.

Chef Zambini
06-12-2013, 10:07 AM
if our crew of RBs is so good that we can dismiss willy-mac, then we are looking pretty good.
to call WMcG a one trick pony is just innaccurate.
blocking, blitz recognition, inside running, those THREE tricks alone nmade wMcG our best RB last year.
fumblitis is his one major malady.

TXBRONC
06-12-2013, 10:09 AM
I really hope Ball turns into something special for us. Not just for us as fans but for him being a Broncos fan.

Same here but having a veteran like McGahee whose game translates well to this offense could be beneficial.

Ravage!!!
06-12-2013, 10:18 AM
Yeah.. "one trick pony" doesn't seem to work considering how well McGahee has been running for us since becoming a Bronco. Has been the best RB on the team, and thank goodness we brought him in or we REALLY would have been in poor shape.

As for the article. Seems McGahee is seeing the writing on the wall and is doing a bit of pouting about it.

TXBRONC
06-12-2013, 10:22 AM
Yeah.. "one trick pony" doesn't seem to work considering how well McGahee has been running for us since becoming a Bronco. Has been the best RB on the team, and thank goodness we brought him in or we REALLY would have been in poor shape.

As for the article. Seems McGahee is seeing the writing on the wall and is doing a bit of pouting about it.

Yeah comments like he's a one trick pony is just dumb assery.

Chef Zambini
06-12-2013, 10:24 AM
we all hope that Mo-ball can EARN the job of #1 back !
if 4 other guys can make mcgehee "dispensable"
then we must have ourselves a pretty good crew !
this wont be decided till the end of august, and it wont be decided by conversation.

Ravage!!!
06-12-2013, 11:21 AM
we all hope that Mo-ball can EARN the job of #1 back !
if 4 other guys can make mcgehee "dispensable"
then we must have ourselves a pretty good crew !
this wont be decided till the end of august, and it wont be decided by conversation.

Interestingly enough, it will be determined by how they perform in PRACTICE. Something that seems to be upsetting to people when talking about other players at other positions.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-12-2013, 11:35 AM
Even if McGahee is the #1 he'll need a 1b behind him. He has visibly gotten worn dorn the last two seasons. He seems to be the most effective when his workload is kept in the 15-20 carries a game range.

TXBRONC
06-12-2013, 11:44 AM
Even if McGahee is the #1 he'll need a 1b behind him. He has visibly gotten worn dorn the last two seasons. He seems to be the most effective when his workload is kept in the 15-20 carries a game range.

Most definitely and quite honestly even if McGahee stays I could see M. Ball overtaking him as the lead back at some point during the season.

BroncoJoe
06-12-2013, 11:47 AM
I personally don't think McGahee makes it out of camp.

Northman
06-12-2013, 11:54 AM
He just tells me—the most important thing is don’t become complacent. A lot of players come in to the league and feel a sense of entitlement. For me he told me just to keep working.

Great advice from Manning.

broncofaninfla
06-12-2013, 12:37 PM
Willis is still a solid RB but his fumbles make him a liability. I'm ready to see Ball over take him as the starter.

Broncos Mtnman
06-12-2013, 01:13 PM
Most definitely and quite honestly even if McGahee stays I could see M. Ball overtaking him as the lead back at some point during the season.

That was actually my point. He's not a starting RB any longer. If he does start when the season begins, it will only be long enough for Ball to establish himself.

Broncos Mtnman
06-12-2013, 01:14 PM
Willis is still a solid RB but his fumbles make him a liability. I'm ready to see Ball over take him as the starter.

It's not just his fumbles. He's unable to stay healthy as well. And with his age, that will only become more of a problem.

Broncos Mtnman
06-12-2013, 01:16 PM

I'm not so sure about this one, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happens.

Chef Zambini
06-12-2013, 01:19 PM
mcgehee is the best back we have until mo-ball cvan overtake him.

TXBRONC
06-12-2013, 01:25 PM
That was actually my point. He's not a starting RB any longer. If he does start when the season begins, it will only be long enough for Ball to establish himself.

Ohhh I gotcha.

Anyway good to see you Mtnman. :beer:

LTC Pain
06-12-2013, 01:27 PM
If McGahee isn't the starter then I'm not seeing the role he plays on the team. It may very well come down to how comfortable PM/Fox are with M. Ball learning the offense. It sounds like PM has been spending extra time with M. Ball to get him up to speed.

TXBRONC
06-12-2013, 03:43 PM
If McGahee isn't the starter then I'm not seeing the role he plays on the team. It may very well come down to how comfortable PM/Fox are with M. Ball learning the offense. It sounds like PM has been spending extra time with M. Ball to get him up to speed.

There is nothing I would like to see better for Montee to become sturdy back that we rely for the next five or six years.

Jsteve01
06-12-2013, 11:59 PM
Not a kiz fan by any means but he made a great point about how much a hard nosed runner like Mcgahee would have benefitted us in the playoffs. Especially when you factor in the Ravens revenge factor.

TXBRONC
06-13-2013, 12:08 AM
Not a kiz fan by any means but he made a great point about how much a hard nosed runner like Mcgahee would have benefitted us in the playoffs. Especially when you factor in the Ravens revenge factor.

Most definitely if McGahee had been available for our game against the Ravens that would have helped immensely.

Dzone
06-13-2013, 02:31 AM
Mcgahee always has a way of shocking people

TXBRONC
06-13-2013, 06:21 AM
Mcgahee always has a way of shocking people

What do you mean?

slim
06-13-2013, 11:21 AM

Personally, I don't think he will make it to camp. :hi: