PDA

View Full Version : Hester's Role Not Defined by One Position

Denver Native (Carol)
06-09-2013, 09:20 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- You can call Jacob Hester a fullback, as he is listed on the Broncos' official roster. You can call him a running back, too. But neither of these position descriptions would be completely accurate – at least not with the role he has right now.

"It's hard to find guys like that – to be able to play halfback, fullback. We throw him on the wing every once in a while; we can spread him out," explained Offensive Coordinator Adam Gase. "It's been a big point of emphasis this offseason to figure out how we get him on the field and use him a little more, whether he's playing tailback, fullback, an F-tight end and H-back.

"We're going to try to use him as many ways as possible."

That represents an expansion of duties for Hester, who worked almost exclusively in the backfield last year after signing with the Broncos last Nov. 26. He didn't play until his third game on Denver's 53-man roster, but remained in the lineup after that and ran for 81 yards and two touchdowns in the final three regular season games.

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Hesters-Role-Not-Defined-by-One-Position/54c0f183-9b99-41e8-877e-34f8946cd6d2

SR
06-09-2013, 09:22 PM
Funny because I always thought he would be good split outside not unlike Dallas Clark. He has a lot of versatility.

Jsteve01
I like Hester, I just have my doubts as to whether he makes the final roster.

SR

He will.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-09-2013, 09:27 PM

Unless something drastically changes, it appears there is no doubt he will make the final roster.

from article:

"He's smart, he knows protections, he's got good hands, so he's been a tremendous addition for us," Fox said.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...e-34f8946cd6d2

MOtorboat
06-09-2013, 09:48 PM
Unless something drastically changes, it appears there is no doubt he will make the final roster.

from article:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...e-34f8946cd6d2

I guess I'm not sure as to how that one statement means there is no doubt he makes the team?

Denver has four better ball carriers, and another player who is better on special teams than Hester. On top of that, they don't use a fullback much. It's a nice thought, but there's not much room for him.

TXBRONC
06-09-2013, 09:49 PM
I figure Hester will make the team because of his versatility.

Jsteve01
06-09-2013, 09:51 PM
4 better ball carriers, and 4 good tE's. Don't really know where he fits. Now if McGahee is cut, i'd much rather have Hester than balls. Or if a TE gets beat up in camp

TXBRONC
06-09-2013, 10:04 PM
4 better ball carriers, and 4 good tE's. Don't really know where he fits. Now if McGahee is cut, i'd much rather have Hester than balls. Or if a TE gets beat up in camp

According to what I've read in the DP unless something changes Denver is likely to cut either Moreno or McGahee so his chances of staying are pretty good. Regardless of who Denver would keep between Moreno McGahee neither one of them plays special teams but I think Hester does.

Simple Jaded
06-09-2013, 10:07 PM
Good thing Hester isn't just a FB.

BroncoWave
06-09-2013, 10:24 PM
If we keep 5 running backs like last season, I could see Hester staying on the roster. Hillman and Montee are definitely safe, leaving spots for 3 out of the 4 of Moreno, McGahee, Ball, and Hester. Assuming we cut Moreno or McGahee, Hester could make the team again.

topscribe
06-09-2013, 11:04 PM
If we keep 5 running backs like last season, I could see Hester staying on the roster. Hillman and Montee are definitely safe, leaving spots for 3 out of the 4 of Moreno, McGahee, Ball, and Hester. Assuming we cut Moreno or McGahee, Hester could make the team again.
Hester is a lock. Gase made that clear in his presser from the way he gushed
about Hester's extreme versatility and how they need to get him on the field
as often as they can.

BroncoWave
06-09-2013, 11:07 PM
Hester is a lock. Gase made that clear in his presser from the way he gushed
about Hester's extreme versatility and how they need to get him on the field
as often as they can.

I tend to think he is safe too. I try to take anything coaches say at this time of year with a grain of salt, but I think the numbers at our RB position work out in Hester's favor. We kept 5 last year and he offers versatility that some of our other RBs don't.

topscribe
06-09-2013, 11:12 PM
When reviewing the offensive gaffs during the playoff game, I have wondered
ever since the game whether one of them wasn't having Hester out there to
pound the ball late in the game, rather than the then 170-pound Hillman. He
certainly would have been much tougher between the tackles than Hillman.

topscribe
06-09-2013, 11:15 PM
I tend to think he is safe too. I try to take anything coaches say at this time of year with a grain of salt, but I think the numbers at our RB position work out in Hester's favor. We kept 5 last year and he offers versatility that some of our other RBs don't.
I agree with you about the coaches, especially if they are responding to a
question from the media. What struck me, however, was that Gase wasn't
responding to a question. He brought Hester up all by his little lonesome and
proceeded to gush all over the place about what they could do with Hester.

Dapper Dan
06-10-2013, 12:50 AM
Affirmative action. Meet the quota. Keep Hester.

TXBRONC
06-10-2013, 06:37 AM
I agree with you about the coaches, especially if they are responding to a
question from the media. What struck me, however, was that Gase wasn't
responding to a question. He brought Hester up all by his little lonesome and
proceeded to gush all over the place about what they could do with Hester.

Just the way Gase speaks about Hester I wonder if their might be some thought to letting go of both McGahee and Moreno?

chazoe60
06-10-2013, 07:05 AM
I'd bet money that Hester makes this team. Look what he did for us in short yardage in the limited time we had him last season.

Dapper Dan
06-10-2013, 07:27 AM
I'd bet money that Hester makes this team. Look what he did for us in short yardage in the limited time we had him last season.

I'd bet money that if I bought a Hester jersey, we would cut him.

topscribe
06-10-2013, 09:13 AM
Just the way Gase speaks about Hester I wonder if their might be some thought to letting go of both McGahee and Moreno?
Hmmm . . . that might depend more on how Montee Ball does. Hester has a
completely different role on the offense and will probably be considered a FB
for roster purposes. Ball is the type that McGahee and Moreno are.

Straight logic might say that Moreno is younger and cheaper than McGahee,
but Ball is the difference there. So it would seem that Moreno may be the
odd man out because McGahee is still simply the best running back they
have, at least until Ball gets his experience and improves his blocking, which
is always lacking in a new rookie. Does that make any sense?

underrated29
06-10-2013, 10:07 AM

I actually think it signifies the end of lance ball. I think Hester makes it over lance. Both can and do play ST, but Hester is the better runner and more versatile. IMO, lance is the one who Hester knocks off the squad. Not to say that either or both knowshon and Mcgahee don't get axed too, but lance will be the first.

And if I am correct, I definitely like this move. Lance is basically on the team because he plays ST. If not for that he wouldn't be here most likely. Why waste a roster spot on him when we have Hester who can do that and more and is a better runner.

Good call coaches. Good call.

TXBRONC
06-10-2013, 10:31 AM
I actually think it signifies the end of lance ball. I think Hester makes it over lance. Both can and do play ST, but Hester is the better runner and more versatile. IMO, lance is the one who Hester knocks off the squad. Not to say that either or both knowshon and Mcgahee don't get axed too, but lance will be the first.

And if I am correct, I definitely like this move. Lance is basically on the team because he plays ST. If not for that he wouldn't be here most likely. Why waste a roster spot on him when we have Hester who can do that and more and is a better runner.

Good call coaches. Good call.

There are eight maybe nine running backs on the roster right now more than Lance Ball will go.

Chef Zambini
06-10-2013, 11:18 AM
another excellent article .
one that re-inforces that brains and versatility are valuable commodities, at least on the O side of the ball.

Someone who can play that many positions – and play them well – can single-handedly change the formations from play to play without necessitating a change in personnel. That represents a unique asset when the offense looks to accelerate its pace.

I hope that M.ball , I will be calling him MO-BALL f.t.p.f., can be this kind of versatile back, one that can stay on the field in all situations and facillitate a variety of formations and personnel groupings.

Dapper Dan
06-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Hester really hasn't shown us a whole lot. I mean, are we going to get rid of some decent backs and keep a guy that Elway has been hiding on the sidelines. I need to see more of Hester before I get rid of McGahee, Moreno, or even Lance Ball.

Chef Zambini
06-10-2013, 11:30 AM
Hmmm . . . that might depend more on how Montee Ball does. Hester has a
completely different role on the offense and will probably be considered a FB
for roster purposes. Ball is the type that McGahee and Moreno are.

Straight logic might say that Moreno is younger and cheaper than McGahee,
but Ball is the difference there. So it would seem that Moreno may be the
odd man out because McGahee is still simply the best running back they
have, at least until Ball gets his experience and improves his blocking, which
is always lacking in a new rookie. Does that make any sense?
I never thought KM would make last years roster but he did and he proved that he earned that spot.
willy-mac, right now is an unknown commmodity, and last year his highs and lows were symphonic !
So enjoy the conjecture, this is a discussion forum after all, but I think our broncos realize that its best not to make any decisions until you have to meet roster cuts.
If ANY given player looks like wasted reps, his 8 by 10 glossy is going to show up on the desk of the man with the black hood and a bad ass AXE that nobody is going to confuse for a body wash.

we will keep as many ponys in the corral as we can, I doubt any willbe sent out to pasture pre-maturly, but ultimately 3 or 4 will go.
I dont think hester is one of them, all must be blessed with good health.
mo-ball
hillman
hester
and 2 spots up for grab, thats the way I see it, with lance ball first on the bubble.

TXBRONC
06-10-2013, 11:32 AM
Hester really hasn't shown us a whole lot. I mean, are we going to get rid of some decent backs and keep a guy that Elway has been hiding on the sidelines. I need to see more of Hester before I get rid of McGahee, Moreno, or even Lance Ball.

Your needs are secondary. :D

Chef Zambini
06-10-2013, 11:34 AM
in the culinary industry, HESTER is what we would call the TOURNANT, a chef who can work every position in the kitchen and is used to facilitate days off or to cover ilnesses, and changing schedule needs.

Chef Zambini
06-10-2013, 11:41 AM
Hester really hasn't shown us a whole lot. I mean, are we going to get rid of some decent backs and keep a guy that Elway has been hiding on the sidelines. I need to see more of Hester before I get rid of McGahee, Moreno, or even Lance Ball.is this your attempt at a bad zambini impersonation?
how dare you insinuate that JFE would hide someone from view.

seriously, I would not have considered HESTER a roster lock before reading this article.
but this article makes it clear that hesters versatilty gives him almost indispensable value,
and he just might develop into a next generation welker !
hey, one can dream !

BroncoWave
06-10-2013, 12:04 PM

Lance Ball is horrible. I would take a chance on a RB I have never seen before Ball. It amazes me how he holds on to a roster spot every season. I don't remember ever being impressed by a play made by Lance Ball.

Plus, it's annoying to have to specify which Ball I am talking about when I mention our RBs. My life would be much easier if we just cut Lance. :D

Dapper Dan
06-10-2013, 12:09 PM
Lance Ball is horrible. I would take a chance on a RB I have never seen before Ball. It amazes me how he holds on to a roster spot every season. I don't remember ever being impressed by a play made by Lance Ball.

Plus, it's annoying to have to specify which Ball I am talking about when I mention our RBs. My life would be much easier if we just cut Lance. :D

True. Montee should change his last name.

topscribe
06-10-2013, 12:15 PM

I remember one play that impressed the heck out of me, a blocking play. Lance
Ball was to the left of Manning on a pass play, when an unblocked rusher came
through on the right. Ball scurried clear over to the other side of Manning and
took that rusher out. It was any eye-popping play.

Other than that, his performances generally have seemed pretty mediocre . . .

Chef Zambini
06-10-2013, 12:42 PM

.that is EXACTLY the reason why lance was able to keep his roster spot. he fulfills the FIRST priority of ANY player in the bronco backfield, protect the QB !

dogfish
06-10-2013, 01:00 PM
hester will make the final 53. . . still gotta have someone who can lead block in goal line situations, and i doubt we leave it to a DL. . . plus, he plays special teams, and that's key for end-of-the-roster type guys. . .

TXBRONC
06-10-2013, 01:24 PM
hester will make the final 53. . . still gotta have someone who can lead block in goal line situations, and i doubt we leave it to a DL. . . plus, he plays special teams, and that's key for end-of-the-roster type guys. . .

That's what I've been saying. Hester plays special teams as well the other things that have been mentioned. We have eight running backs on the roster right now and I don't see Denver keeping more than five with a fullback included. None of the top four play special teams. That being said I can't see Denver keeping all of them. The only two that are sure to be here are Montee Ball and Ronnie Hillman. So it stands to reason that either Moreno or McGahee will gone and while unllikely both might be let go before the start of the season.

Bosco
06-11-2013, 03:06 PM
According to what I've read in the DP unless something changes Denver is likely to cut either Moreno or McGahee so his chances of staying are pretty good. Regardless of who Denver would keep between Moreno McGahee neither one of them plays special teams but I think Hester does.

Precisely.

We'll probably see Ball, Moreno and Hillman as the running backs with Hester as the FB in two back sets (rare occasions we use it) and as a utility back.

TXBRONC
06-11-2013, 05:29 PM

If we had fullback named wang then we could run the wishbone with a wang and two balls.

LTC Pain
06-11-2013, 06:15 PM
If we had fullback named wang then we could run the wishbone with a wang and two balls.

Don't quit your day job :)

TXBRONC
06-11-2013, 06:21 PM
Don't quit your day job :)

At least I have a day job. :D

topscribe
06-11-2013, 07:57 PM
Well, if you are also to consider the MLB position, the Broncos do have two Balls and a Johnson . . .

TXBRONC
06-11-2013, 08:04 PM
Well, if you are also to consider the MLB position, the Broncos do have two Balls and a Johnson . . .

This is true.

Simple Jaded
06-16-2013, 09:57 PM
If the Broncos still had Cutler they'd have two Ball's and a dick.