PDA

View Full Version : Quanterus Smith returns to Broncos less than 6 1/2 months from ACL surgery

TXBRONC
06-07-2013, 08:02 AM
I didn't see this posted anywhere so I thought you all might be interested in what's happening with Q. Smith.

Quanterus Smith returns to Broncos less than 6 1/2 months from ACL surgery
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted June 6, 2013, 2:03 pm MT

As Minnesota running back Adrian Peterson proved last season, ACL injuries aren’t what they used to be.

And so not quite 6 ½ months after Quenterus Smith had his torn left ACL repaired by Dr. James Andrews, the Broncos’ rookie defensive end was participating in individual and position drills the past two days.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/06/06/quanterus-smith-returns-less-than-6-12-months-from-acl-surgery/19988/

LTC Pain
06-07-2013, 08:22 AM
Get some Q-man!!!

TXBRONC
06-07-2013, 08:31 AM
Get some Q-man!!!

If Quanterus turns out at good as Elway and Fox think he will, he and Miller potentially could be a better pairing than Miller and Dumervil.

MOtorboat
06-07-2013, 08:57 AM
Would be an absolute steal if he was a top-flight pass rusher.

CoachChaz
06-07-2013, 08:58 AM

I think he can contribute at least as much as Irvin did for Seatlle last year. Granted...Irvin was drafted WAY too high...but I think Smith can give us 5 or 6 as a rookie if he can get on the field regularly.

TXBRONC
06-07-2013, 09:08 AM
I think he can contribute at least as much as Irvin did for Seatlle last year. Granted...Irvin was drafted WAY too high...but I think Smith can give us 5 or 6 as a rookie if he can get on the field regularly.

I agree. But by regularly do you as a nickle passer or as a starter like Wolfe?

Ravage!!!
06-07-2013, 09:47 AM
I loved the pick considering the upside of this kid. Just hope we don't rush him in on that knee. Considering how tough he was during college, I think he may have been an absolute STEAL in the draft.

LTC Pain
06-07-2013, 09:51 AM
QB = ass is grass, Q-man = lawnmower

TXBRONC
06-07-2013, 09:52 AM
I loved the pick considering the upside of this kid. Just hope we don't rush him in on that knee. Considering how tough he was during college, I think he may have been an absolute STEAL in the draft.

He was leading the nation in sacks when he went down with knee injury. If he doesn't get hurt I wonder he would still been a 5th round pick?

CoachChaz
06-07-2013, 09:53 AM
I agree. But by regularly do you as a nickle passer or as a starter like Wolfe?

I think he'll be completely situational at first. But considering our offensive potential and our schedule, that could be a regular thing. Really depends on the effectiveness of Phillips and Ayers and whoever else gets a shot at RDE

LTC Pain
06-07-2013, 09:54 AM
He was the nation in sacks when he went down with knee injury. If he doesn't get hurt I wonder he would still been a 5th round pick?

No, he would have gone higher. I don't have links now but have read this in multiple places. Probably a high 2nd round pick if not for the ACL injury.

CoachChaz
06-07-2013, 09:58 AM
No, he would have gone higher. I don't have links now but have read this in multiple places. Probably a high 2nd round pick if not for the ACL injury.

2nd was possible. Might have been a reach there considering his team and level of competition...despite success against Alabama. I think the Senior Bowl and combine would have vaulted him more than his production at a small school

TXBRONC
06-07-2013, 10:01 AM

I think might have made it into the first round.

BeefStew25
06-07-2013, 10:03 AM
Our Super Friends defense is gearing up!

LTC Pain
06-07-2013, 10:03 AM
I think might have made it into the first round.

"I don't need no stinkin round"!!! Who cares, Q-man is a Bronco now!

Tned
06-07-2013, 10:10 AM

Yea, that was my feeling after he was drafted. If he returns from the injury quickly, and nearly as fast/effective as before the torn ACL, he has the potential to be a great draft pick and make a huge impact.

Bosco
06-07-2013, 10:26 AM
If Quanterus turns out at good as Elway and Fox think he will, he and Miller potentially could be a better pairing than Miller and Dumervil.

I think we'll have a deadly pass rush this year. Ayers really turned it up some last year, Malik Jackson is incredibly talented and Smith was a big time steal. I see us having a very Giants-esque defense where we can run a multitude of sub packages based on the situation and keep our players fresh.

broncofaninfla
06-07-2013, 10:37 AM
I'm excited about this kid I just hope he doesn't rush things and get hurt again. Even with Doom gone i feel good about RDE with Phillips, Ayers and Beal. Beal could end up surprising everybody in the end. He was looking VERY good before getting hurt last preseason.

TXBRONC
06-07-2013, 10:41 AM
I'm excited about this kid I just hope he doesn't rush things and get hurt again. Even with Doom gone i feel good about RDE with Phillips, Ayers and Beal. Beal could end up surprising everybody in the end. He was looking VERY good before getting hurt last preseason.

I'm guessing their putting Q. Smith at RDE.

Bosco
06-07-2013, 11:05 AM
I'm guessing their putting Q. Smith at RDE.

I imagine we'll probably run with Ayers and Wolfe at RDE and LDE, respectively, in our base package. When we go to our sub packages I imagine one or both will move inside with Von coming down onto the line and Jackson/Smith taking the other end spot.

CoachChaz
06-07-2013, 11:24 AM
It'll be interesting to see how the hell we habdle the run. Still waiting to add a run stuffer

Bosco
06-07-2013, 11:29 AM
It'll be interesting to see how the hell we habdle the run. Still waiting to add a run stuffer

Ayers is a very good run defender, spending most of his time as a SOLB in the 3-4 and LDE in the 4-3. Wolfe is also an equally talented run defender. We have plenty of run stuffers at DT with Vickerson, Knighton and Williams.

MOtorboat
06-07-2013, 11:32 AM

Isn't that supposed to be Knighton and Williams?

BeefStew25
06-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Pork Chop is pretty good vs the run.

LTC Pain
06-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Pork Chop is pretty good vs the run.

Who is Pork Chop??? If you are talking about Knighton his nickname is "Pot Roast".

Dzone
06-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Who is Pork Chop??? If you are talking about Knighton his nickname is "Pot Roast".
I prefer "Pot Roast", I stopped eating Pork Chops when I saw a pet Pig lying on someones couch with a baby sleeping, using the pig as a pillow. Besides, I like anything with Roasted Pot.

Zweems56
06-07-2013, 12:07 PM

Only real players we've lost in the front 7 are Doom, Brooking, and Bannan. No one could call Doom a run stopper, Brooking was on the field less than 50% of the plays, and Bannan is the only one I'd miss in regards to run stopping.

TXBRONC
06-07-2013, 01:21 PM
Only real players we've lost in the front 7 are Doom, Brooking, and Bannan. No one could call Doom a run stopper, Brooking was on the field less than 50% of the plays, and Bannan is the only one I'd miss in regards to run stopping.

From what I've seen of Q. Smith on film he seems to do ok against the run.

CoachChaz
06-07-2013, 01:47 PM
Isn't that supposed to be Knighton and Williams?

That doesnt scare you? Knighton lost his job to CJ mosely, Vickerson had one of the worst DT ratings in 2012 and Williams is a rookie that excels at pass rushing. I dont expect we'll see too much run this season, but when we do, I'll be holding my breath

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-07-2013, 02:13 PM
That doesnt scare you? Knighton lost his job to CJ mosely, Vickerson had one of the worst DT ratings in 2012 and Williams is a rookie that excels at pass rushing. I dont expect we'll see too much run this season, but when we do, I'll be holding my breath

It concerns me. We have a long history of getting excited in Bronco nation about journeymen DT's.

CoachChaz
06-07-2013, 02:29 PM
It concerns me. We have a long history of getting excited in Bronco nation about journeymen DT's.

Which surprises me since we've all seen how below average Vickerson is and have proof to show Knighton is a spare

Bosco
06-07-2013, 02:50 PM

Knighton seemed to get put in the doghouse after Del Rio left. Regardless, he had good production before that and is reunited with him now, so I'm hoping he'll be back to form. Not sure where the rating for Vickerson came from but if it's from ProFootballFocus it's not worth the paper it's printed on.

CoachChaz
06-07-2013, 03:40 PM
Knighton seemed to get put in the doghouse after Del Rio left. Regardless, he had good production before that and is reunited with him now, so I'm hoping he'll be back to form. Not sure where the rating for Vickerson came from but if it's from ProFootballFocus it's not worth the paper it's printed on.

I dont recall where I was reading the rating, but I dont believe it was PFF. Regardless, I find it difficult to believe we can watch Vick in games WITHOUT the orange glasses on and say he is anything more than average.

As far as Knighton goes...any mild success he had in the Del Rio days came as a predominantly with his ability to get an inside pass rush.

Bosco
06-07-2013, 05:02 PM
I dont recall where I was reading the rating, but I dont believe it was PFF. Regardless, I find it difficult to believe we can watch Vick in games WITHOUT the orange glasses on and say he is anything more than average.

As far as Knighton goes...any mild success he had in the Del Rio days came as a predominantly with his ability to get an inside pass rush.

To be fair, Vickerson is pretty much the textbook definition of average. That's ok though, because we only need him to clog shit up on obvious running downs. Other than that, he won't be on the field at all. Knighton, however, is a very good DT who offers good pass rush even in a two gap scheme.

ShaneFalco
06-07-2013, 06:35 PM
i cant find any tape on this guy

jDy9Y20FWLM
vWCAavZMJBY&feature=player_embedded

nvm found!

TXBRONC
06-07-2013, 10:24 PM

I know you were talking to MO but nevertheless my answer is no I'm not scared. Vickerson wasn't all world but I Del Rio got from what he needed from him.