PDA

View Full Version : Stern: Flopping fines not enough

Denver Native (Carol)
06-06-2013, 09:40 PM
from article:

MIAMI -- With players, coaches and fans continuing to complain about the widespread practice of flopping, NBA commissioner David Stern said the league needs to expand its anti-flopping rules.

"It isn't enough, it isn't enough," Stern said in his annual pre-NBA Finals news conference. "You're not going to cause somebody to stop it for $5,000 when the average player's salary is $5.5 million. And anyone who thought that was going to happen was allowing hope to prevail over reason."

"We could end it immediately if we decided to suspend players," Stern said. "But that might be a little Draconian at the moment."

full article - http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/9350408/david-stern-says-nba-needs-expand-anti-flopping-rules

BINGO Stern, YES you could end it immediately if players were suspended. That's exactly what should happen, and "flopping" would go away.

Ravage!!!
06-07-2013, 10:00 AM
I don't see what the whole "flopping" complaints are about lately. "Flopping" has been in basketball for generations. EVERY sport players try to get away with fooling the ref. In football, players try to look like they were held, pass interfered with, knocked down (if kicker), or any other number of penalties. In baseball, players move to try and make balls look like they were inside pitches, the catcher with move his glove slightly after catching a ball to move over a couple inches in an attempt to influence the ref. Batters will lean in to take a ball and get hit. There are tons of "faking" in all of soccer and hockey (soccer being the absolute worst the way they roll around like they got hit with a baseball bat).

The players don't need to be fined or suspended. I think that is an absolute stupid thing to do considering they are doing NOTHING that is against the rules of the game. What needs to happen is that refs just need to be trained better in determining a real foul. If they can't, add an additional ref to the floor so that nearly every play has two different angles to it, making it much harder to pull off.

Nomad
06-07-2013, 11:08 AM
I'm glad John Stockton is retired:lol:

chazoe60
06-07-2013, 11:16 AM
If they really started fining for flopping the Spurs would be broke. :laugh:

I will not watch a single second of this NBA finals. I'd much rather watch a regular season Baseball game than a post season NBA game. The refs, Stern, and flopping have rendered the NBA unwatchable.

Nomad
06-07-2013, 11:17 AM
If they really started fining for flopping the Spurs would be broke. :laugh:

I will not watch a single second of this NBA finals. I'd much rather watch a regular season Baseball game than a post season NBA game. The refs, Stern, and flopping have rendered the NBA unwatchable.

College baseball Super Regionals, chazoe!

chazoe60
06-07-2013, 11:21 AM
College baseball Super Regionals, chazoe!

Heck, I watch the College Softball World Series. :laugh: Those chicks can play man. Game 1 of the Championship series was epic.

CoachChaz
06-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Miami doesnt even need to flop. All you have to do is be within 2 feet of them and a whistle blows

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-07-2013, 02:09 PM
I don't see what the whole "flopping" complaints are about lately. "Flopping" has been in basketball for generations. EVERY sport players try to get away with fooling the ref. In football, players try to look like they were held, pass interfered with, knocked down (if kicker), or any other number of penalties. In baseball, players move to try and make balls look like they were inside pitches, the catcher with move his glove slightly after catching a ball to move over a couple inches in an attempt to influence the ref. Batters will lean in to take a ball and get hit. There are tons of "faking" in all of soccer and hockey (soccer being the absolute worst the way they roll around like they got hit with a baseball bat).

The players don't need to be fined or suspended. I think that is an absolute stupid thing to do considering they are doing NOTHING that is against the rules of the game. What needs to happen is that refs just need to be trained better in determining a real foul. If they can't, add an additional ref to the floor so that nearly every play has two different angles to it, making it much harder to pull off.

I agree completely. Flopping has been around a long time, and all of the "hub-bub" seems silly.

Where was David Stern when Dirk Nowiski was flopping his way to a Final's MVP a few years ago? :laugh:

Bill Laimbeer was a great flopper in his day, and so was Vladi Divac. This is not some new thing. David Stern talks too much, IMO. Sometimes I think he forgets the game is about the players, it's not about David Stern and his eloquence.

BroncoWave
06-07-2013, 02:13 PM

Could not agree more. Sports fans pick strange things to get outraged about.