View Full Version : Vonnie Holliday Signed

Tned
09-05-2009, 03:52 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13277682

Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 09/05/2009 02:38:38 PM MDT
Updated: 09/05/2009 02:47:27 PM MDT

The Broncos completed a deal today for veteran defensive end Vonnie Holliday.

The 6-foot-5, 288-pound Holliday was a solid defensive tackle/end for the Green Bay Packers from 1998-2002 before moving on to Kansas City and the Miami Dolphins. He will be expected to play both the 5-technique defensive end and nose tackle positions in the Broncos' 3-4 defensive alignment.

"He's versatile so he can play wherever the team decides to play him," said Holliday's agent Cary Fabrikant. "He's an extremely talented football player who's been a starter for long periods of time. He's familar with the defense."

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 03:55 PM
so who gets cut to make room for him..

has anyone watched the cuts list NFL wide to see who could be brought in?

maybe we should have a thread on those cuts any one want to volunteer?

BroncoAV06
09-05-2009, 03:59 PM
NFL:Roster Cut Downs
http://blogs.nfl.com/tag/roster-cutdown/

As for Vonnie, I don't mind at all. As long as he can hold the point of attack and be be productive in a rotation for this year, thumbs up!

T.K.O.
09-05-2009, 04:02 PM
who's vernon and why is'nt the thread title "BRONCOS TAKE A HOLLIDAY" ?:D

T.K.O.
09-05-2009, 04:06 PM
ooh ooh...here's a good one.
we should pick up packers qb john david booty.
then we could have a thread titled "broncos get booty" ...
ok i apologize but i have a hangover and my mind gets kinda fuzzy ....;)

T.K.O.
09-05-2009, 04:41 PM
i just read on the post that holliday is expected to play at NT as well as DE,
is that a good thing ?does anyone here know if he has done well at NT before?
that could be the best news of the day.:elefant:

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 04:44 PM

I'd guess when we are doing a 5 man front he would be an additional NT..

Josh like his guys to be able to play different things..

Fan in Exile
09-05-2009, 05:00 PM

I'm just not seeing a 288 pound NT I think they're missing something. Or I'm misremembering his weight.

Traveler
09-05-2009, 05:12 PM
We need all the defensive help we can get. Just can't get excited about this signing though. We've become one of the youngest teams to one of the oldest teams in a matter on months.

How many 30-somethings do we have now? 10-12?

This is where I don't agree with McDaniels. If we are rebuilding, might as well do it with youth. Guess he's holding to his word that he wants to win now.

BroncoAV06
09-05-2009, 05:13 PM
I'm sure at some point he played a little NT in Miami to spell someone. But 31 tkls, 3.5 sacks, not bad for a 32 year old last year in a rotation. Really can't expect him to be a solution for anything, just a vet that knows how to play in a 3-4.

TXBRONC
09-05-2009, 05:25 PM
I'm just not seeing a 288 pound NT I think they're missing something. Or I'm misremembering his weight.

In certain situations you might have smaller defensive lineman line up over the center.

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 05:29 PM
We need all the defensive help we can get. Just can't get excited about this signing though. We've become one of the youngest teams to one of the oldest teams in a matter on months.

How many 30-somethings do we have now? 10-12?

This is where I don't agree with McDaniels. If we are rebuilding, might as well do it with youth. Guess he's holding to his word that he wants to win now.

I susepct we will still be a very young team and those pups will need to learn ethics and NFL morality from some of the best..

We will get younger next year when some of those kiddies learn how to play.. and we bring in more rookies to replace these older vets..

T.K.O.
09-05-2009, 05:35 PM
I'm sure at some point he played a little NT in Miami to spell someone. But 31 tkls, 3.5 sacks, not bad for a 32 year old last year in a rotation. Really can't expect him to be a solution for anything, just a vet that knows how to play in a 3-4.

and according to his agent he is in better shape this year thanks to pilates and "spinning ?':beer:
i know ,i know thats an agents job but when your as old as i am 33 sounds like a spring chicken...lol

Superchop 7
09-05-2009, 10:45 PM
If we took a holiday
Took some time to celebrate
Just one day out of life
It would be, it would be so nice

Everybody spread the word
We're gonna have a celebration
All across the world
In every nation
It's time for the good times
Forget about the bad times, oh yeah
One day to come together
To release the pressure
We need a holiday

(You guys are gonna love this guy, gets hurt alot, BUT, when he is on, he is ON, even at this age)

dunk7
09-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Anyone disappointed that we got Holliday vs. going after Seymour?!?

nbenallo33
09-06-2009, 01:03 PM
seymour would have been a great addition

T.K.O.
09-06-2009, 04:39 PM
holliday will give us an instant upgrade,i dont care if he is 33 he can still add some serious "plug power"
and he knows the 3-4 d as well or better than anyone on the roster.

"Moss thinks that defensive coordinator Mike Nolan's 3-4 system is the perfect fit for him.

It might be for Holliday as well. The 12-year defensive lineman could be counted on to clog up the middle. He had 55 career sacks with Green Bay, Kansas City and Miami.:salute:

Dean
09-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Has anyone heard what Holliday's contract numbers were?

We needed help at LDE and if he has anything left in the tank he should provide it.

TXBRONC
09-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Has anyone heard what Holliday's contract numbers were?

We needed help at LDE and if he has anything left in the tank he should provide it.

We certainly need all the help we can get. Maybe I'm just not looking at this right but it seems to me that our defensive ends did fairly good job during the preseason so I have hope that at defensive end we're going to be ok if we can stay reasonably healthy. Nose tackle on the hand I don't feel that confident in the talent we have at that position.

Overtime
09-06-2009, 06:27 PM
bad move IMO. He was a lazy fat ass when he was at KC, and pretty much unproductive in Miami.

We could have done with him, but it is what it is.

Dean
09-06-2009, 06:30 PM
I liked what Peterson was doing at right DE. In run situations I saw McBean driven off of the line of scrimmage several times. IMO we needed help there and the trade with the Pats and signing of Holliday maybe we got it covered. I agree that Fields hasn't shown himself to be more than a backup at nose. At this late date, I guess you dance with the girl you brung.

SoCalImport
09-06-2009, 07:16 PM
bad move IMO. He was a lazy fat ass when he was at KC, and pretty much unproductive in Miami.

We could have done with him, but it is what it is.

"Holliday, who started 15 games for the Dolphins last season and led the team’s defensive linemen with 46 tackles while compiling 3 1/2 sacks, signed a one-year deal with the Broncos."

Sorry. But from where I stand, that's pretty productive as a 3-4 DE.

Lonestar
09-07-2009, 01:34 AM
Defensive end Vonnie Holliday, who joined the Denver Broncos on Sunday for his first workout with his new team, says an injured knee is what prevented him from signing a contract this spring.

Holliday, who signed with the Broncos on Saturday after Le Kevin Smith missed Denver's final two preseason games with a knee injury, told The Associated Press after practice that he had his right knee surgically repaired by noted sports surgeon Dr. James Andrews in late January.

"A lot of people don't know this, but I had my knee cleaned up and then I got released by Miami and I found myself in free agency: a 12th-year pro, 33 years old and coming off knee surgery," Holliday said. "So, when I met with the Broncos I had a puffy knee."

Still, the Broncos stayed in touch and came calling Saturday.

"I really didn't want to miss training camp," said Holliday, who stayed in shape by working with a trainer and a nutritionist in his hometown of Atlanta. "When you're going through it, you hate it and you dread it. But I missed it because I was used to being in training camp.

"And retirement was never an option, not from where I'm at right now. I still have a few years left."

Holliday, who started 15 games for the Dolphins last season and led the team's defensive linemen with 46 tackles while compiling 3 1/2 sacks, signed a one-year deal with the Broncos.

He said he had a good workout Sunday -- the media weren't allowed to watch any portion of practice nor were reporters allowed access to players or coaches afterward.

"It was nice to get back out there on the football field," Holliday said.

The Broncos also welcomed back receiver Brandon Marshall, whose suspension for insubordination ended Sunday. However, the team didn't announce his reinstatement or a corresponding roster move.

Holliday began his career in Green Bay, where he was a first-round pick out of North Carolina in 1998. He also played for Kansas City before joining the Dolphins in 2005. Miami released him in March rather than pay him a $1.5 million roster bonus.

Holliday spent most of his career playing in the 4-3 scheme but has the ideal body size, strength and long arms to play in the 3-4. He started at end in the Dolphins' 3-4 scheme last year and said part of what he'll bring to Denver is the knowledge of that system that he can impart to his new, young teammates.

Holliday is the third Dolphins starter from last year to sign with the Broncos as an unrestricted free agent, joining free safety Renaldo Hill and cornerback Andre' Goodman.

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/Broncos.Holliday.NFL.2.1167766.html

rcsodak
09-07-2009, 02:11 PM
After watching Victor Hobson, on my dvr'd AZ game, and seeing him cut, I was kinda hoping McD would give him a look. 4tacklses and 2 sacks.

Not sure if maybe he was told before hand he was auditioning for the other 31 teams or not, but he looked great....behind the LOS most of the time.

Oh well.......