PDA

View Full Version : Schlereth Weighs In On The 2009 Broncos

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Written by Brooke Wagner Reporting
Brooke Wagner LONE TREE, Colo. (CBS4) ― Breakfast With Brooke is a weekly interview series with CBS4 Morning News anchor Brooke Wagner that airs on Friday mornings on CBS4. Read about or watch more reports in the Breakfast With Brooke section.

Former Broncos Guard Mark Schlereth, also famously known as "Stink," is a three-time Super Bowl champion and two-time Pro Bowler. He knows how to take a hit -- and how to taste one, too.

"We use pork tenderloin, so that's a half-inch hunk of pork -- you can see, there's a lot of pork in there," Schlereth said, microwaving up a batch of his Mark Schlereth's Stinkin' Good Green Chile.

Since he and a partner who concocted the recipe launched the product last year, it has hit shelves in King Soopers, Safeway and now grocery giant HEB in Texas.

"I've had more than a dozen people tell me (they) make the best green chile in the world, then they sample my product in the store and say 'Yours is better than mine.' And it takes a lot for people to admit that," Schlereth said.

Schlereth called the football-themed chile a fun project that has "grown like a weed." It's a steady sideline to his day job as NFL analyst for ESPN. Things get pretty spicy there, too.

"There are a lot of things about this league that are absolute garbage, and I'm not afraid to say it," Schlereth said. "I don't work for the league. I'm going to give you my honest opinion, and I've taken Jay Cutler to task, I've taken Brandon Marshall to task. I will praise you when you play well and I will tear you down when you play horribly. I'm not in it to make friends in the locker room, that's not why I did it. I did it to give people a real feel for what it's like to play."

Known for playing hurt, Schlereth finally gave in to his injuries and retired from the Broncos in 2000. He played six seasons for Denver and six for the Redskins before that. In all, he's had 29 surgeries. To this day he's a big proponent of dedication to the team. He's hard on young players he doesn't believe share that trait, including former Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler.

"His attitude, and the way he presented himself, are unacceptable. To me, you've got to get over yourself," said Schlereth. "I don't think the organization handled it very well. Players just want to be told honestly what goes down. Don't lie to the players, and I think they did a terrible job there, but at the same time, don't put yourself ahead of the other guys that play on your team, because everybody's up for trade at some time or another. I think, ultimately, the Broncos made the right choice by getting rid of him."

Schlereth has also made no secret of his opinion on disgruntled receiver Brandon Marshall.

"He's such an exceptionally gifted player. If he can get his off-the-field stuff together he's going to be fine and make lots of money and dominate this league for a long time. He was bothered by the fact that his hip bothered him last year and he never really got the diagnosis he got when he went to a different doctor. I've seen that happen before, and I've seen it happen with every organization. It's not right, but it happens," said Schlereth. "I guess, if I'm Brandon Marshall I keep my mouth shut, I work my butt off, and I go out there and earn the new contract."

Schlereth shares his opinions not only on ESPN, but on Twitter. He has thousands of followers who often ask him about the upcoming season under the new Broncos regime.

"They're going through a huge time of change and that's going to be difficult. They've purged the marjority of their roster, and it's going to be a work in progress," said Schlereth. "I don't think it's going to be a successful season as far as the record is concerned, but I agree with a lot of the things they've done over there, as far as people they've gotten rid of, the changes they've made, the direction they're going in from a personnel standpoint."

Soap opera fans also know Mark Schlereth off-the-field as "Guiding Light" detective Roc Hoover. Schlereth played the recurring character for two years before the longtime CBS soap was canceled.

"In two and a half years of guest appearances, I brought it to its knees," Schlereth joked.

He said he was open to more acting roles but nothing is in the works.

Schlereth is taking on yet another new role, as author. He's working on a book about parenting and athletics. The father of three had one of his proudest moments recently when his son Daniel was called up to the majors. Daniel Schlereth is a pitcher for the Arizona Diamondbacks. Mark coached his son throughout Daniel's childhood.

"He says, 'Dad...' and he just burst into tears. 'I just got called up. I'm leaving tomorrow,'" recalled Schlereth.

Daniel spent much of the summer recovering from a broken rib. Mark advises his son on playing through injuries and keeping a good attitude.

"I hate for him to get hurt. It's very hard for me to watch that as a parent. But, at the same time I understand that is part of the process. If it was easy, everyone would do it," Schlereth said. "It's not as glamorous as people think and it takes a ton of sacrifice to make it. I just appreciate the fact that he's willing to sacrifice and he's willing to go out there and play hurt."

Schlereth and his wife Lisa both grew up in Alaska. He said the nickname "Stink" comes from one Alaskan village's tradition of burying, then eating rotten salmon heads, called "Stinkheads."

The Schlereth's oldest daughter, Alex, is an actress in Los Angeles. His 16-year-old daughter Avery lives with Mark and Lisa in Lone Tree.
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/Schlereth.broncos.marshall.2.1162213.html

Northman
09-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Pfft, what would this guy know?

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Pfft, what would this guy know? greeen Chile>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Simple Jaded
09-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Pfft, what would this guy know?

Pfft, what would any of them know? If we disagree with the things the writers/commentators/analyst have to say then they are know-nothing hacks.......Are you're no different?

To you Jaime Dukes couldn't possibly know but Stink is the definitive authority, am I right? How convenient.......

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Pfft, what would any of them know? If we disagree with the things the writers/commentators/analyst have to say then they are know-nothing hacks.......Are you're no different?

To you Jaime Dukes couldn't possibly know but Stink is the definitive authority, am I right? How convenient.......

I have disagreed with alot of what Stink has said, but not becuase he is baised..

dukes is a total homer for his boys..

Simple Jaded
09-05-2009, 03:00 PM
I have disagreed with alot of what Stink has said, but not becuase he is baised..

If you say it is so, then so be it.......

Northman
09-05-2009, 03:01 PM

Typical response from you but expected.

Sure, all writers/broadcasters have to be taken with a grain of salt. But as someone else pointed out in the "Reilly" thread some are more credible than others. In this case that you have presented to me i do give Stink far more credibility than Dukes.

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 03:01 PM
If you say it is so, then so be it.......

come on it does not have to be this way..

Northman
09-05-2009, 03:02 PM
come on it does not have to be this way..

Wasting your breathe man. Wasting your breathe....

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 03:03 PM

Sure, all writers/broadcasters have to be taken with a grain of salt. But as someone else pointed out in the "Reilly" thread some are more credible than others. In this case that you have presented to me i do give Stink far more credibility than Dukes.

Hey I do not like to hear what he says sometimes either, but I really believe he knows his stuff. and I do not believe I have ever heard him pull punches..

honz
09-05-2009, 03:03 PM
I wouldn't care if Jamie Dukes said the Broncos were the greatest team in the history of the league...he is still a hack.

Schlereth, on the other hand, is very knowledgable and makes sense to me most of the time no matter what team he is talking about. Also, he has had a lot of bad things to say about the Broncos this offseason...and I agreed with most of them.

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 03:05 PM
Wasting your breathe man. Wasting your breathe....

Lets hope not seems to me we have a lot of bitter members that may come around when we start to win.. until then I'm willing to out out an olive branch..

most have been a solid posters in the past even if we all did not always agree with them..

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 03:08 PM
I wouldn't care if Jamie Dukes said the Broncos were the greatest team in the history of the league...he is still a hack.

Schlereth, on the other hand, is very knowledgable and makes sense to me most of the time no matter what team he is talking about. Also, he has had a lot of bad things to say about the Broncos this offseason...and I agreed with most of them.

they were on his great list til josh was hired and jay was traded..:laugh:

yes Stink was critical and I did not want to hear it but he is a good analyst..

Simple Jaded
09-05-2009, 03:08 PM
Hey I do not like to hear what he says sometimes either, but I really believe he knows his stuff. and I do not believe I have ever heard him pull punches..

I think Stink is about as good as it gets, period, but just because Dukes is a complete idiot, it doesn't mean that he's wrong and Stink has it licked just because you disagree/agree with their take on this.......and vise versa.

My problem is people attack the credibility of the speaker without even considering/discussing their point of view.......

Simple Jaded
09-05-2009, 03:16 PM

I was merely asking your point of view on it, are you prone to dismissing Dukes' point of view because you think he's an idiot, do you attack his credibility before you consider his point of view? Or am I wasting my breathe?

Personally, I have no problem considering Stinks point of view, I'm good that way.......it's a gift.......

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 03:17 PM
I think Stink is about as good as it gets, period, but just because Dukes is a complete idiot, it doesn't mean that he's wrong and Stink has it licked just because you disagree/agree with their take on this.......and vise versa.

My problem is people attack the credibility of the speaker without even considering/discussing their point of view.......

IMHO dukes is so far out is because he thinks as do some of our fans that jay is the greatest QB since John or Marino.. and that anything we do after is bad.. can;t get past Josh allowing him to be traded..

so have many of our members. they can't get past:

mike being fired..
spags not being hired..
Josh being hired.. (I think because he is from NE)
Josh being hired but allowing jay to be traded..
Josh not handling jay right
Josh not handling BM better..
Josh being 32 years old..
Josh wanting to run things the way he wants them..
Josh not keeping the O intact..
Josh not drafting nothing but D..
Josh bringing in NE player and vets..

or a combination of this list..

I'm going to root for my team and believe that Pat knew what he is doing..

Hopefully when they start to play better ball than last years others will get on the bandwagon.. and forget the past..

Simple Jaded
09-05-2009, 03:39 PM
IMHO dukes is so far out is because he thinks as do some of our fans that jay is the greatest QB since John or Marino.. and that anything we do after is bad.. can;t get past Josh allowing him to be traded..

mike being fired.. Not necessarrily, he's a far better option than the option they chose, but if keeping Shanahan meant keeping Slowik, it was the right thing to do.......
spags not being hired.. Not necessarrily, Ryan (Perfect mentality of a player like Cutler) or Schwartz would also have been a better choice.......
Josh being hired.. (I think because he is from NE) I was excited about his hiring before he screwed the pooch, his arrogance (Or incompetence) since then has been intolerable....... Josh being hired but allowing jay to be traded.. McDaniels is the idiot that started that mess, without his arragance/stupidity/incompetence none of this happens....... Josh not handling jay right Absolutely, inexcusable.......
Josh not handling BM better.. Not necessarrily, it's a nearly impossible situation, but I'm not surprised that McDaniels couldn't find a way to make it work, handling players is the biggest of his many flaws.......
Josh being 32 years old.. Normally I couldn't care less, it's the way he's handling himself that makes his age an issue, he thinks he's King Shit on Turd Island and he has yet to prove a damn thing.......
Josh wanting to run things the way he wants them.. Of course that shouldn't matter, it becomes an issue when he's running a franchise (Yes I said franchise) QB out of town, if he doesn't screw up the QB situation, the rest of his mistakes are forgivable....... Josh not keeping the O intact.. (Assuming you mean system) Of course not, he should have tried to keep Bates as well, but if he scraps the ZBS I will have a problem with that.......
Josh not drafting nothing but D.. Of course not, but not drafting defense/QB in the 1st round I do have a problem with.......
Josh bringing in NE player and vets.. Not at all, if he's bringing in the right players for the right reason, Hochstein is a prime example, a true journeyman type, he is a security blanket for McDaniels.......

Hopefully when they start to play better ball than last years others will get on the bandwagon.. and forget the past..

I will never be on a Josh McDaniels bandwagon, I'll have no problem giving credit where credit is due when/if it's due, he may turn out ot be the right hire (Losing a franchise QB means he wins SB's or it's not a good hire) but I will never be a Josh McDaniels guy (but I was never really a Mike Shanahan guy either).......

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 03:43 PM
I will never be on a Josh mcDaniels bandwagon, I'll have no problem giving credit where credit is due when/if it's due, he may turn out ot be the right hire (Losing a franchise QB means he wins SB's or it's not a good hire) but I will never be a Josh McDaniels guy.......

Sad to hear that, I for one like almost everything I have seen from him SO FAR..

That includes jay being shipped out as I just never saw him as someone that would be happy looking for the open man vs throwing it deep..

nor do I think long term jay is a franchise QB, but I have been wrong before..

Guess we will never know..

Northman
09-05-2009, 04:14 PM
I was merely asking your point of view on it, are you prone to dismissing Dukes' point of view because you think he's an idiot, do you attack his credibility before you consider his point of view? Or am I wasting my breathe?

Personally, I have no problem considering Stinks point of view, I good that way.......it's a gift.......

Do i consider Dukes point of view? Of course, however whereas i believe Stink to be more objective in his takes both good and bad i believe that Dukes is just a flat out idiot. Trust me, there are idiots all over the states for every team in on the radios and in the press room. I gave Dukes a chance from the get go but he has come across not only ignorant but misinformed in all of his takes as far as im concerned. But, your the one that brought that particular guy up so i gave you my honest opinion on him compared to Stink.

nevcraw
09-05-2009, 04:19 PM

His boys?

He's 20 years older than the current players.. Peers, or boys - not likely..

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 04:23 PM
His boys?

He's 20 years older than the current players.. Peers, or boys - not likely..

boys, brothers, peer, can all be on his list of him being on their JS..

and since one can ususally reproduce at the age of 11-13 who knows for sure?:laugh::laugh:

nevcraw
09-05-2009, 04:28 PM
boys, brothers, peer, can all be on his list of him being on their JS..

and since one can ususally reproduce at the age of 11-13 who knows for sure?:laugh::laugh:

:confused: huh? why are discussing the redproductive ability of 11-13 year old boys.. LOL..

He's 45 and a member of the press now. they aint his boys..

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 04:32 PM
:confused: huh? why are discussing the redproductive ability of 11-13 year old boys.. LOL..

He's 45 and a member of the press now. they aint his boys..

If you say so, he is laser locked on to jays JS so do not expect anything but praise from him..

the guy is one of the more biased announcers/talk show hosts/talkinghead I have ever heard/seen..

I thought Sapp had a big mouth dukes make him look good..

Nomad
09-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Dukes is a reason I don't watch NFLN very often regardless if he's talking BRONCOS or some other team...can't stand the guy.

I've always liked Stink's opinion whether good or bad about the BRONCOS.

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Dukes is a reason I don't watch NFLN very often regardless if he's talking BRONCOS or some other team...can't stand the guy.

I've always liked Stink's opinion whether good or bad about the BRONCOS.

to bad they could not switch networks..

shank
09-05-2009, 07:03 PM
i didn't like his green chili very much.

LoyalSoldier
09-05-2009, 10:45 PM

mike being fired..
spags not being hired..
Josh being hired.. (I think because he is from NE)
Josh being hired but allowing jay to be traded..
Josh not handling jay right
Josh not handling BM better..
Josh being 32 years old..
Josh wanting to run things the way he wants them..
Josh not keeping the O intact..
Josh not drafting nothing but D..
Josh bringing in NE scrubs and cast offs..

Corrected for accuracy.

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 10:49 PM
i didn't like his green chili very much.

wish I could lay my hands on some I really like green chile.. would like to compare it to the local stuff.