PDA

View Full Version : Shanahan bringing Cutler along slowly ....

omac
11-23-2007, 05:23 AM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2007/nov/20/krieger-cutler-looking-like-cream-of-2006-crop/

Most of the content of this article was posted on other articles here; here's something I didn't see ...

Shanahan has brought him along slowly. Remember, he arrived in Denver in 1984 to find a shell-shocked Elway recovering from being thrown to the wolves as a rookie. He was not going to make that mistake.

"Quarterbacks have to play," he observed Monday.

He has accepted criticism for conservative game plans, for failing to "trust" his young quarterback. That wasn't it at all. He was just trying to bring him along at a pace he could handle; trying not to make the same mistake Dan Reeves made with Elway all those years ago.

Lonestar
11-23-2007, 02:40 PM
makes sense to me after all most of his Numbers are on the moon compared to Johns.

I do not think he lined up behind the ORG yet has he?

Is he trying to win it all or be a responsible HC and bring the kiddies along at a good pace and IF he wins great if not they went to school and learned the correct way to do it...

Tned
11-23-2007, 03:18 PM
makes sense to me after all most of his Numbers are on the moon compared to Johns.

I do not think he lined up behind the ORG yet has he?

Is he trying to win it all or be a responsible HC and bring the kiddies along at a good pace and IF he wins great if not they went to school and learned the correct way to do it...

Was it the RG or LG? I was thinking LG? On the other hand, if he lined up under guard more often in those early games, maybe he would have fumbled less. ;)

Lonestar
11-23-2007, 03:21 PM
Was it the RG or LG? I was thinking LG? On the other hand, if he lined up under guard more often in those early games, maybe he would have fumbled less. ;)

Might have been the LG I thought he moved to his left after discovering the fubar.. Must have had visions of Danny boy dancing through is head.

omac
11-23-2007, 11:35 PM
Bill Walsh brought along Montana in an extremely safe way, way safer than Mikey's doing with Cutler. I don't disagree with Shanny's approach, though; Walsh did wonders for Montana's psyche, and Reeves didn't do Elway any favors.

TXBRONC
11-23-2007, 11:47 PM
Bill Walsh brought along Montana in an extremely safe way, way safer than Mikey's doing with Cutler. I don't disagree with Shanny's approach, though; Walsh did wonders for Montana's psyche, and Reeves didn't do Elway any favors.

Elway in an interview said eventhough it was a struggle getting actual game experience was the best thing for himself. The problem with Reeves' offense is that he didn't adapt it to John's strengths.

Lonestar
11-24-2007, 12:34 PM
Elway in an interview said even though it was a struggle getting actual game experience was the best thing for himself. The problem with Reeves' offense is that he didn't adapt it to John's strengths.

I often wondered if Farve would still be chasing johns numbers had danny boy been smart and provide John with a couple pro bowl OLINE guys and someone better than the three amigos to pass the ball to. Had he had a couple of really good WR with some size John most likely would have made them great players and had many of Marino's records..

TXBRONC
11-24-2007, 12:59 PM
I often wondered if Farve would still be chasing johns numbers had danny boy been smart and provide John with a couple pro bowl OLINE guys and someone better than the three amigos to pass the ball to. Had he had a couple of really good WR with some size John most likely would have made them great players and had many of Marino's records..

I agree these things you mentioned makes one wonder. If Reeves had installed a west coast style offense Farve might be still chasing Elway.

I think more than the wide receivers being a problem not having a great running game was even bigger issue.

Lonestar
11-24-2007, 01:31 PM
I agree these things you mentioned makes one wonder. If Reeves had installed a west coast style offense Farve might be still chasing Elway.

I think more than the wide receivers being a problem not having a great running game was even bigger issue.

I'm not so sure that having a winder type RB was that much a determent, it did not seem to be an issues for John as he was almost always called upon in third and moderate to LONG into something good.

Had they had really good WRs to start with the running game most likely would have been better.

Let me add that OMO danny boy was a running back and coached like one.. NO imagination for a great QB. The WCO would have been totally over his head..
Which comes first a HOF QB making the plays or the running game making it easier for the QB to do his thing.

I'd like to think that John did it without a great OLINE, WR and RB for much of his career.

Marino made his name throwing the ball and many of his RB's IMO were good because of it.

TXBRONC
11-24-2007, 11:03 PM
I'm not so sure that having a winder type RB was that much a determent, it did not seem to be an issues for John as he was almost always called upon in third and moderate to LONG into something good.

Had they had really good WRs to start with the running game most likely would have been better.

Let me add that OMO danny boy was a running back and coached like one.. NO imagination for a great QB. The WCO would have been totally over his head..
Which comes first a HOF QB making the plays or the running game making it easier for the QB to do his thing.

I'd like to think that John did it without a great OLINE, WR and RB for much of his career.

Marino made his name throwing the ball and many of his RB's IMO were good because of it.

Yeah it was that much of detriment if it wasn't I think the Broncos would at very least had better showing in John's first three Super Bowl appearances. On a number of occasions I remember Elway saying he wished he had better running game.

You asked which is more important having a franchise quarterback or franchise running back? Obviously since this league is quarterback driven you want the franchise quarterback first if get him first because they are much harder to come by. However, that doesn't take way the necessity of having franchise running back, something that Elway lacked for the majority of his career.

Sammy Winder played nine seasons for the Broncos the best ypc he ever managed was 3.9 yards per carry. And on only two occasions did he have 200 plus carries. Most of the time he shared the running chores with other backs.

I didn't understand your comment about Dan Reeves. He was inflexible but he wasn't stupid. Yes he did start off his coaching career as running backs coach, but before he became the head coach of the Broncos he served the offensive coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys from 1977 to 1980.

Don't get wrong I by no means am I one to stick up for Reeves but as I said he wasn't dumb just inflexible.

Lonestar
11-25-2007, 12:27 AM
Yeah it was that much of detriment if it wasn't I think the Broncos would at very least had better showing in John's first three Super Bowl appearances. On a number of occasions I remember Elway saying he wished he had better running game.

You asked which is more important having a franchise quarterback or franchise running back? Obviously since this league is quarterback driven you want the franchise quarterback first if get him first because they are much harder to come by. However, that doesn't take way the necessity of having franchise running back, something that Elway lacked for the majority of his career.

Sammy Winder played nine seasons for the Broncos the best ypc he ever managed was 3.9 yards per carry. And on only two occasions did he have 200 plus carries. Most of the time he shared the running chores with other backs.

I didn't understand your comment about Dan Reeves. He was inflexible but he wasn't stupid. Yes he did start off his coaching career as running backs coach, but before he became the head coach of the Broncos he served the offensive coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys from 1977 to 1980.

Don't get wrong I by no means am one to stick up for Reeves but as I said he wasn't dumb just inflexible.

The guy knew football, but IMO was a lousy coach he did not take advantage of Johns skills EXCEPT to get him out of 3 and long three or four time in most drives. Because the running game sucked and his WRs could not hold a candle to present day players . John made them decent WR's. Beyond that danny was a great coach.. He drafted maddox cause he could not get along with John, a power play that ultimately cost him his job. He had Zero imagination in play calling and IMO only the HEROICS of John got them to those super bowls him, a pretty good defense and a WEAK ASSED conference. For Gods sake how many times did they beat marty to get to the dance?

TXBRONC
11-25-2007, 12:56 AM
The guy knew football, but IMO was a lousy coach he did not take advantage of Johns skills EXCEPT to get him out of 3 and long three or four time in most drives. Because the running game sucked and his WRs could not hold a candle to present day players . John made them decent WR's. Beyond that danny was a great coach.. He drafted maddox cause he could not get along with John, a power play that ultimately cost him his job. He had Zero imagination in play calling and IMO only the HEROICS of John got them to those super bowls him, a pretty good defense and a WEAK ASSED conference. For Gods sake how many times did they beat marty to get to the dance?

I agree on all accounts. I'm not saying he was great coach not at all.

They beat Marty and Browns three times to get to the Super Bowl.

NameUsedBefore
11-25-2007, 01:14 AM
At least the defense was solid. (Until the Superbowls, of course :| )

omac
11-25-2007, 07:36 AM
I don't think Dan Reeves could've installed the WCO at the time; it was only the property of Walsh and his assistant coaches who'd learn it from him. It's prevalent today because of Walsh's assistant coaches.

I think the closest thing the NFL had to that was the run-and-shoot, which some say it's an offspring of. John would still need real good receivers for that. It's too bad that Dan never set up the offense to fully utilize John's capabilities; way too old school I guess.

omac
11-25-2007, 07:39 AM
Sammy Winder played nine seasons for the Broncos the best ypc he ever managed was 3.9 yards per carry.

Wow, talk about very little help. Those are Cedric Benson type numbers.

omac
11-25-2007, 07:41 AM
At least the defense was solid. (Until the Superbowls, of course :| )

The superbowls looked like that Matt Hasselbeck commercial with his line being kids and the defense being hulking pros. :D

Lonestar
11-25-2007, 12:12 PM
I agree on all accounts. I'm not saying he was great coach not at all.

They beat Marty and Browns three times to get to the Super Bowl.

I'm not so sure it was us beating them (other the the drive) as much as them beating themselves. (the fumble)

NAW it was marty ball even back then.. Marty is a great coach but can't win the big game when he has to.

topscribe
11-25-2007, 12:28 PM

What would Elway have done, had he the receivers, say, Brady has today,
i.e., Moss, Stallworth, Welker, and Watson?

Same with Montana. Some give the nod to Montana over Elway as a QB. How
would that have panned out if Elway would have had Rice, Taylor and Clark?
And Craig at RB?

I guess we'll never know, of course. But Elway overcame an awful lot in his
career to become great as he was. You think he wouldn't have given his
eyeteeth, as a younger QB, for receivers such as Walker, Marshall, Stokley,
and Scheffler?

-----

Lonestar
11-25-2007, 12:32 PM
What would Elway have done, had he the receivers, say, Brady has today,
i.e., Moss, Stallworth, Welker, and Watson?

Same with Montana. Some give the nod to Montana over Elway as a QB. How
would that have panned out if Elway would have had Rice, Taylor and Clark?
And Craig at RB?

I guess we'll never know, of course. But Elway overcame an awful lot in his
career to become great as he was. You think he wouldn't have given his
eyeteeth, as a younger QB, for receivers such as Walker, Marshall, Stokley,
and Scheffler?

-----
My point exactly. he had such notable as jon someone (h back), and the tree amigos, and a current WR coach on the team. God they were so lame I can't remember any of their names.