PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning, Broncos excited QB has more 'zip'

CrazyHorse
05-30-2013, 08:43 AM
"We worked out at Duke in March or April, and I definitely felt like he had more zip on the ball," Broncos wide receiver Eric Decker said Wednesday, via The Denver Post. "I think he's come back stronger."
Schein: Time is now for Peyton

Decker's observation from the Duke workout jibes with that of Demaryius Thomas.

More importantly, Manning feels the difference himself.

"I feel much more comfortable than I was last year. I am stronger than I was last year," Manning recently told Pete Prisco of CBSSports.com. "I am throwing the ball better now in May of 2013 than I did in May of 2012 -- significantly better. I got better throughout the season."

More (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000207849/article/peyton-manning-broncos-excited-qb-has-more-zip)

So last year he was at 80-90% and this year he's closer to 100%.

Mike
05-30-2013, 09:12 AM
Still hope we don't have any playoff games in arctic temps.

MasterShake
05-30-2013, 09:16 AM

The worst part was I can't remember a day before or after that was that cold here in Denver. We had a really mild winter with some bad spring storms.

Looking back at the highlights though (even in that cold Baltimore playoff game) Manning looked like he was progressing from one week to the next. Can't wait to get out to a few training camps this year to check it out in person.

TXBRONC
05-30-2013, 09:20 AM
I don't think the weather was the problem.

Chef Zambini
05-30-2013, 09:21 AM
the cold concern has new merit, nefer mind his w-L record in cold temps.
Mannings loss of feeling is accentuated by the cold... numbness,
No not the kind I am acused of, a loss of feeling in his hands and arm, accentuated by the cold.

HOwever...
with all the high tech clothing and "RUBS" that are available to keep a pro athlete warm, cold should not be a factor or excuse.

Ravage!!!
05-30-2013, 09:24 AM

I don't either. People said Elway couldn't win the "Big game".... until he did. I can cme up with a hundred examples of this type of thing. The more Manning plays in Denver, in practices and in games, the more acclimated he is to playing in thin air. No different for anything else.

Mike
05-30-2013, 09:32 AM

Any explanation on the lack of any long or even mid-range passes in that game?

TXBRONC
05-30-2013, 09:38 AM

Because tha was what was open.

Chef Zambini
05-30-2013, 09:49 AM
mike has a point, it could be argued thaT PFM did not trust his arm that day.but if we are to blame the cold,
the afliction was brain freeze for more than a few players and coaches.

Chef Zambini
05-30-2013, 09:50 AM
Because tha was what was open.and what is your explanation for the INTs?

Chef Zambini
05-30-2013, 09:54 AM
hey I am glad PFM continues to find inprovement in his physical skills.
PFM is our king salmon.

Ravage!!!
05-30-2013, 10:31 AM
and what is your explanation for the INTs?

Well, I don't think either one had to do with the cold. The first was a deflection, and that doesnt' have anything to do with the temperature.

MasterShake
05-30-2013, 10:36 AM
Well, I don't think either one had to do with the cold. The first was a deflection, and that doesnt' have anything to do with the temperature.

You spelled "Pass Interference" wrong.

Damn, just when I think I am getting over that game.. :lol:

Northman
05-30-2013, 10:37 AM
I think the cold did play a part. When you have/had injuries cold weather can be a real bear on the joints, etc. Especially when you get older so i wouldnt be shocked if Manning was feeling the sting a bit and it may have affected his play to some degree. Hopefully he does come back stronger and more prepared going forward.

Davii
05-30-2013, 11:43 AM

Ed Reed

underrated29
05-30-2013, 11:58 AM

Eh it doesnt matter. We did fine in our other cold games.

Exactly.

Yes. Mike Mccoy.
He called one of the worst games of his life- and that is saying something. Do not tell me all game long that you (I aswell) werent like man we look terrible and predictable- oh hey- its 2nd and 6- let me guess the pitts bubble screen...Yep. Mccoy was conservative, weak and as always predictable. That is the reason why.

PatriotsGuy
05-30-2013, 12:05 PM
He has a huge forehead

CrazyHorse
05-30-2013, 12:11 PM
He has a huge forehead

It houses that big brain full of football intellect.

Dzone
05-30-2013, 12:14 PM
If he is better than last year, look out. Is he throwing with the glove on?

Ravage!!!
05-30-2013, 12:19 PM
Yes. Mike Mccoy.
He called one of the worst games of his life- and that is saying something. Do not tell me all game long that you (I aswell) werent like man we look terrible and predictable- oh hey- its 2nd and 6- let me guess the pitts bubble screen...Yep. Mccoy was conservative, weak and as always predictable. That is the reason why.

I agree that we played well in the other cold games.... except it does seem that champs hamstrings don't do as well in the cold weather.

I'm going to disagree with this part of your post for a couple reasons. 1) people always want to give credit to Manning when the offense is working great, and then want to turn around and blame McCoy when it isn't. 2) Generally speaking, the defense on the other side of the ball has a lot to do with how things are executed. Lets not take anything away from the way Baltimore adjusted at half-time. We were moving the ball very well in the first half and their adjustments were just better than ours were. 3) If Manning sees something on the defense, he usually attacks it no matter what. I can't believe that Manning simply ignored his own instincts/knowledge in this game.

Fox said the ONE call that he regrets was running on 3 and 6. But lets not try to imply that we REALLY knew what the play calls were before they were called. We always have revisionist memory...we guess one thing, another happens and we say "I KNEW IT!"

Mike
05-30-2013, 12:20 PM
Ed Reed

Did not stop Manning in the regular season game.

Eh it doesnt matter. We did fine in our other cold games.

Yes. Mike Mccoy.

The weather hadn't been that cold in a CO game since the Chicago game several years ago. The playoff game was much colder than anything the team had played in at any point in the season.

As one of the biggest McCoy haters I find this argument to be the best. However, I have to think that Manning would have audibled into a long-mid-range play if that wasn't a part of the gameplan. Weather impacted many of the players abilities in that game.

rationalfan
05-30-2013, 01:12 PM
I'm going to disagree with this part of your post for a couple reasons. 1) people always want to give credit to Manning when the offense is working great, and then want to turn around and blame McCoy when it isn't. 2) Generally speaking, the defense on the other side of the ball has a lot to do with how things are executed. Lets not take anything away from the way Baltimore adjusted at half-time. We were moving the ball very well in the first half and their adjustments were just better than ours were. 3) If Manning sees something on the defense, he usually attacks it no matter what. I can't believe that Manning simply ignored his own instincts/knowledge in this game.

i was just going to post the same sentiment, point for point.

Chef Zambini
05-30-2013, 01:44 PM
Q: why did the ravens beat us?
A: it was too cold.

sorry nobody is buying that or accepting that.
the weather discussion is little more than a distraction from the truth.

Davii
05-30-2013, 02:34 PM
Did not stop Manning in the regular season game.

Different game plan too I would imagine. Everyone wants to point at Peyton or what the Broncos did, there was another team on the field, maybe we should at least give their defense a little credit?

Northman
05-30-2013, 02:38 PM
Different game plan too I would imagine. Everyone wants to point at Peyton or what the Broncos did, there was another team on the field, maybe we should at least give their defense a little credit?

I dont think they really did anything defensively that really stymied us. We just didnt play very well and the non-call sort of opened the floodgates for them. Reminded me a lot of the Jax game in 07' with the Tory James call. They played better than the first meeting but i think the bigger difference was in how the Raven Oline played after they made the adjustments.

topscribe
05-30-2013, 02:57 PM
You know, I'm not the least bit worried about that, if you are alluding to the
playoff game. Remember, by the end of regulation, Manning had passed for 300
yards and three TDs against 1 INT (which was right on the money, but for the
defender holding down Decker's arm) and had the game won, but for Flacco's
70-yard stroke of luck.

A lot of people have pointed at that game as evidence that Manning can't be
effective in cold weather. But I look at it as proof that he can . . .

Mike
05-30-2013, 03:21 PM
Q: why did the ravens beat us?
A: it was too cold.

sorry nobody is buying that or accepting that.
the weather discussion is little more than a distraction from the truth.

Nobody is claiming that they won because it was too cold. My belief is that the cold weather prevented Manning from throwing the ball deep.

Ravage!!!
05-30-2013, 03:32 PM
Nobody is claiming that they won because it was too cold. My belief is that the cold weather prevented Manning from throwing the ball deep.

Or maybe they were playing defense to keep Denver from throwing deep. We did throw over 300 yrds in the air. Manning just knows to take what is given.

MOtorboat
05-30-2013, 05:43 PM
I have a hard time believing that the offensive coordinator on a team that scored 35 points had a bad game plan...

It was a playoff shoot out that literally came down to two mistakes, a missed deep ball and an overtime interception.

Poet
05-30-2013, 05:49 PM
Ed Reed

A free safety who graded out below average against the pass wasn't the reason.

Your offensive line did not play so well. To me that was a big factor in the play calls.

MOtorboat
05-30-2013, 05:52 PM
And it really hurt when Knowshon went down...

Poet
05-30-2013, 05:53 PM
And it really hurt when Knowshon went down...

Worst running back of all time. Your team got better when he went down because he causes cancer. Fact. /sarcasm.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-30-2013, 07:07 PM

I'm inclined to think the lack of a RB who could pass protect in the second half had a lot to do with it.

I also have the opinion that their linemen were getting away with holding the entire game.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-30-2013, 07:10 PM

The first was a result of PI....

Chef Zambini
05-31-2013, 10:41 AM
Worst running back of all time. Your team got better when he went down because he causes cancer. Fact. /sarcasm.no, this is just not correct.
Before last year it might have been, but...
It haS BEEN WELL DOCUMENTED THAT km TOOK HIS DEMOTION like a champ !
he inspired his teammates and impressed the coaches with his work ethic and especially his ATTITUDE.
not a cancer, not a detractor.
Just an over drafted RB who never was injury free, and regardless of all his effort and desire drops like a bowling pin when hit below the knees, and he cant stay healthy.

TXBRONC
05-31-2013, 04:59 PM
no, this is just not correct.
Before last year it might have been, but...
It haS BEEN WELL DOCUMENTED THAT km TOOK HIS DEMOTION like a champ !
he inspired his teammates and impressed the coaches with his work ethic and especially his ATTITUDE.
not a cancer, not a detractor.
Just an over drafted RB who never was injury free, and regardless of all his effort and desire drops like a bowling pin when hit below the knees, and he cant stay healthy.

He was being sarcastic Zam.

SR
05-31-2013, 05:11 PM
He was being sarcastic Zam.

So THAT'S what the "/sarcasm" meant!

TXBRONC
05-31-2013, 05:21 PM
So THAT'S what the "/sarcasm" meant!

Yes.

spikerman
06-02-2013, 11:38 AM
If he is better than last year, look out. Is he throwing with the glove on?

I noticed that too. I wonder if that's a sign that the nerve is healing and his grip has improved.

LTC Pain
06-03-2013, 03:38 PM
I noticed that too. I wonder if that's a sign that the nerve is healing and his grip has improved.

I think so. Because wasn't the initial prognosis for complete recovery (nerve stuff growing back together) 2-3 years. This will be the start of year 3. Right?