PDA

View Full Version : Broncos defense getting the hang of new scheme (MERGED)

Lonestar
09-04-2009, 06:36 PM
By PAT GRAHAM, AP Sports Writer
1 hour, 45 minutes ago

DENVER (AP)—Darrell Reid(notes) went in pursuit of pointers on how to pick off passes.

With the Denver Broncos switching to a 3-4 front this season, the 270-pound defensive end had to be able to read and react as he dropped back into coverage.

So he sought out Champ Bailey(notes) for advice, working with the perennial Pro Bowl cornerback each practice to glean helpful hints.

Bailey taught him well.

Reid deftly intercepted a pass from Kurt Warner(notes) in the Broncos’ 19-0 win over the Arizona Cardinals on Thursday night.

Just like that, the Broncos had their first takeaway of the preseason. Then the floodgates opened as Denver intercepted two more passes and recovered a fumble.

A turnover-starved defense now has some momentum heading into the season opener on Sept. 13 at Cincinnati.

“That’s definitely what we can look like,” Reid said.

It’s funny, though, how the first interception came not from a seasoned secondary corps that includes Bailey, but a roaming defensive end who just happened to wander between Warner and his intended target.

No matter, the Broncos will take it.

“He got his chance and made his play,” cornerback Andre’ Goodman(notes) said of Reid. “We needed that as a whole.”

Maybe that’s a sign Mike Nolan’s revamped defense is starting to round into shape?

“We’ve done some good things,” Bailey said. “We made some plays (Thursday) for a change, which was good. We’ve got a lot of growing to do in this defense. We’re not going to be perfect, but we’re going to put up a fight.”

That’s more than the team could say in seasons past.

For the last two years, the Broncos had virtually no pass rush, couldn’t contain the run and struggled to force turnovers. The dismal defense ultimately played a part in the firing of Mike Shanahan and the hiring of rookie coach Josh McDaniels, who made Nolan one of his first hires.

And while there have been growing pains, the system is starting to take root.

“We felt better and better about our defense as training camp has moved on and the preseason has gone along,” McDaniels said. “We are not where we want to be anywhere, but they are getting better.”

Still, the new scheme remains a work in progress. Reid is used to more of a rushing role, not drifting back to hover in an area.

“It’s coming along,” Reid said. “I’m trying to get comfortable in this system and defense.”

The Broncos looked more than comfortable against the NFC champion Cardinals, shutting down Warner & Co. in the first quarter, then clamping down on the reserves the rest of the way.

Rookie safety David Bruton(notes) played a big role, intercepting a pass and recovering a fumble.

“That gives me a whole lot of confidence,” said Bruton, a fourth-round pick out of Notre Dame.

For defensive end Jarvis Moss(notes), the game was a final chance to make a lasting impression. He’s just hoping it’s enough. The former first-round pick has had an eventful camp, leaving during the first week to ponder retirement, only to return three days later.

Although Moss had a sack and forced a fumble against Arizona, he’s on the bubble for a spot on the team. Denver will trim the roster to 53 players on Saturday.

Moss isn’t fretting.

“That’s something I’m not going to do, I refuse to do,” Moss said. “I can’t control it. I don’t know if I did enough. I’m not really too concerned. I went out there and played hard—that’s what I did.”

Eager for a pass rush, the Broncos traded up to the 17th spot in 2007 to snare Moss. He’s had just 3 1/2 sacks and 39 tackles in his injury-marred career.

But he feels Nolan’s system is the right fit for him.

“Love the 3-4,” Moss said. “It’s great for our team.”

That is, once they get the full grasp of it.

“Guys have really taken ownership of this defense because it is our defense and we’re only as good as what we put in,” safety Renaldo Hill(notes) said. “There’s always going to be growing pains, but the good teams are able to correct it fast and able to sustain when they’re in tough situations.

“We know we have to stay strong as a team and as a defense.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-broncos-progressingdefense&prov=ap&type=lgns

Reidman
09-04-2009, 06:41 PM
I am really liking what I've seen so far defensively...

Not to take away from the last game, but aside from the pick by Warner, all those TO's came from 2nd and 3rd teams...hardly the offenses we'll be going up against in the regular season...none-the-less, this unit already looks far better than last year...

Denver Native (Carol)
09-04-2009, 10:34 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/denver.broncos.nfl.2.1165370.html

Darrell Reid went in pursuit of pointers on how to pick off passes.

With the Denver Broncos switching to a 3-4 front this season, the 270-pound defensive end had to be able to read and react as he dropped back into coverage.

So he sought out Champ Bailey for advice, working with the perennial Pro Bowl cornerback each practice to glean helpful hints.

Bailey taught him well.

Reid deftly intercepted a pass from Kurt Warner in the Broncos' 19-0 win over the Arizona Cardinals on Thursday night.

Just like that, the Broncos had their first takeaway of the preseason. Then the floodgates opened as Denver intercepted two more passes and recovered a fumble.

A turnover-starved defense now has some momentum heading into the season opener on Sept. 13 at Cincinnati.

"That's definitely what we can look like," Reid said.

It's funny, though, how the first interception came not from a seasoned secondary corps that includes Bailey, but a roaming defensive end who just happened to wander between Warner and his intended target.

No matter, the Broncos will take it.

"He got his chance and made his play," cornerback Andre' Goodman said of Reid. "We needed that as a whole."

Maybe that's a sign Mike Nolan's revamped defense is starting to round into shape?

"We've done some good things," Bailey said. "We made some plays (Thursday) for a change, which was good. We've got a lot of growing to do in this defense. We're not going to be perfect, but we're going to put up a fight."

That's more than the team could say in seasons past.

For the last two years, the Broncos had virtually no pass rush, couldn't contain the run and struggled to force turnovers. The dismal defense ultimately played a part in the firing of Mike Shanahan and the hiring of rookie coach Josh McDaniels, who made Nolan one of his first hires.

And while there have been growing pains, the system is starting to take root.

"We felt better and better about our defense as training camp has moved on and the preseason has gone along," McDaniels said. "We are not where we want to be anywhere, but they are getting better."

Still, the new scheme remains a work in progress. Reid is used to more of a rushing role, not drifting back to hover in an area.

"It's coming along," Reid said. "I'm trying to get comfortable in this system and defense."

The Broncos looked more than comfortable against the NFC champion Cardinals, shutting down Warner & Co. in the first quarter, then clamping down on the reserves the rest of the way.

Rookie safety David Bruton played a big role, intercepting a pass and recovering a fumble.

"That gives me a whole lot of confidence," said Bruton, a fourth-round pick out of Notre Dame.

For defensive end Jarvis Moss, the game was a final chance to make a lasting impression. He's just hoping it's enough. The former first-round pick has had an eventful camp, leaving during the first week to ponder retirement, only to return three days later.

Although Moss had a sack and forced a fumble against Arizona, he's on the bubble for a spot on the team. Denver will trim the roster to 53 players on Saturday.

Moss isn't fretting.

"That's something I'm not going to do, I refuse to do," Moss said. "I can't control it. I don't know if I did enough. I'm not really too concerned. I went out there and played hard -- that's what I did."

Eager for a pass rush, the Broncos traded up to the 17th spot in 2007 to snare Moss. He's had just 3 1/2 sacks and 39 tackles in his injury-marred career.

But he feels Nolan's system is the right fit for him.

"Love the 3-4," Moss said. "It's great for our team."

That is, once they get the full grasp of it.

"Guys have really taken ownership of this defense because it is our defense and we're only as good as what we put in," safety Renaldo Hill said. "There's always going to be growing pains, but the good teams are able to correct it fast and able to sustain when they're in tough situations.

"We know we have to stay strong as a team and as a defense."

Shazam!
09-04-2009, 10:37 PM
All they need is even a middling defense and they can surprise people this year. Last year was unbearable to watch.

Thanks for posting Carol.

CrazyHorse
09-04-2009, 10:44 PM
Good news. Turnover differential has killed us the past couple years. Having a pass rush should lead to more Ints. Hopefully we'll have more FF's too.
Poor Jarvis Moss, kid didn't get much chance to make an impact and doesn't really fit our scheme.

ikillz0mbies
09-04-2009, 10:53 PM
I love how this defense has become more aggressive this off-season. Rushing the QB, knocking opponents on their ass, and now forcing turnovers. The progression has been great on both the offense and defense since the first preseason game up to last night. Lets hope the Broncos play like they did last night this season to silence all the anti-McDaniels people and critics.

Superchop 7
09-04-2009, 11:03 PM
Nolan is doing a very good job with what he has.

Shazam!
09-05-2009, 12:07 AM
Nolan is doing a very good job with what he has.

Sometimes a new Coach and change of philosophy is enough to make an improvement. Even a marginal improvement would be vast with how pathetic the D has been. The lack of adjustments and not playing to the strengths of your players was disgraceful.

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 03:20 AM
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 09/05/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 09/05/2009 01:47:40 AM MDT

Step by step, the Broncos' defense has navigated through its offseason rebuilding, trying to find confidence in the huddle to go with all of the new faces.

"Preseason or not, you keep a team from scoring. That's what you want, and it came at a good time for us," Broncos linebacker Darrell Reid said in the aftermath of Denver's 19-0 preseason victory over the Arizona Cardinals on Thursday night. "During this preseason, every week it was like something different, kind of like a rock in your shoe every time you tried to make a move, something different that was going wrong, something different that was causing us a problem. I felt like we got rid of that rock in our shoe."

It was only the seventh time in 50 preseasons worth of business for the Broncos they shut out an opponent, and for a team that has been a whirlwind of change, drama and shifting lineups, there is hope that can mean something in the season opener a week from Sunday in Cincinnati.

"Maybe guys feel what we can do and we can continue this trend," Reid said. "(Thursday) was the first night we put it all together and showed how we can play as a defense. We were in the right position to make plays, and we made them."

The Broncos forced four turnovers — they recovered one fumble and made three interceptions — and held a Cardinals offense sporting reserves for much of the evening to 244 yards.

Things certainly will be more challenging against a Bengals offense that includes a healthy Carson Palmer at quarterback in a little more than a week. But Reid said the Broncos made the most of the dress rehearsals in trying to repair a defense that was among the league's worst in the previous two seasons.

The Broncos fared slightly better on defense in this preseason than in the previous three, which all ended short of the playoffs. The task now, especially up front against the run, will be to hold up when offenses are specifically attacking what they see as

Broncos defensive lineman Kenny Peterson celebrates after stopping Cardinals running back Tim Hightower for a 3-yard loss in the first quarter Thursday night at Invesco Field at Mile High. (Joe Amon, The Denver Post)the Broncos' weaknesses.

"Before I signed, we all heard a lot about the problems they were having on defense," nose tackle Ronald Fields said. "We all want to make it better. We think we should be better than a lot of people who don't know us and don't see us every day."

The Broncos had no interceptions and no fumble recoveries in their first three preseason games.

"We've been talking about it. Turnovers are big. That's going to be the difference a lot of weeks, and we can't win the turnover battle if we don't get any," outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil said. "We have to make some. I know for me, I didn't force any (in the preseason) because I didn't get to the quarterbacks enough. Sacks are big for turnovers — hits on the quarterback. I think we can pressure people better than we have, maybe, and that should bring more turnovers."

But more than anything Thursday night, the defense at least got a little affirmation after being dismantled from 2008's cave-in and reassembled in a different scheme. That was important after former Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler, only four days earlier, threw for 144 yards and a touchdown in a half.

"Defense is confidence sometimes," cornerback Andre Goodman said. "You play with that confidence to recover from your mistakes and to keep lining up. We've got guys who can play that way."

"For young guys who may not know, (Thursday) is what you want to look like," Reid said. "Stop people, get turnovers and then score with those turnovers."
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13273938?source=rss

shank
09-05-2009, 12:10 PM
how is it that after all the OTAs, camps, and all of preseason, that guys like pat graham and reggie rivers still don't know that darrell reid is an OLB?