PDA

View Full Version : Why is a quarterback called a quarterback?

sneakers
05-25-2013, 06:08 PM
and a halfback called a halfback, and a fullback called a fullback.

mysteries of the universe

sneakers
05-25-2013, 06:09 PM
inb4 king says "stop making threads"

Dapper Dan
05-25-2013, 06:57 PM
He should be called the QuarterBANK because that's where the money is.

BroncoNut
05-25-2013, 07:35 PM
it makes sense to me because the quarter back is half the way back of the LOS, the halfback halfway back, and the fullback all the way or fully back. stupid question sneakers (just kidding)

Dapper Dan
05-25-2013, 08:38 PM
It has to do with manliness. A halfback is half the man that a fullback is, and so on.

OrangeHoof
05-25-2013, 10:40 PM
That explains why quarterbacks wear dresses in practice and the refs protect them (except Matt Schaub) as if they are women.

Dzone
05-26-2013, 12:21 AM
In the game "Smear The Queer" it is whoever has the ball and is about to be obliterated. But I dont think they call him the quarterback, they just call him the queer

Simple Jaded
05-26-2013, 09:42 PM
They're called quarterback because they take up 1/6th of a teams salary cap.

CrazyHorse
05-28-2013, 01:39 AM
I would say it's how far they line up behind the line of scrimmage. The only problem is half back is usually behind the full back so that doesn't work. It does if they are referred to as tailback though.

Joel
05-30-2013, 12:31 AM
it makes sense to me because the quarter back is half the way back of the LOS, the halfback halfway back, and the fullback all the way or fully back. stupid question sneakers (just kidding)
According to an aside in The Hidden Game of Footballs first chapter, that is the"quarterbacks" origin, yes.

I would say it's how far they line up behind the line of scrimmage. The only problem is half back is usually behind the full back so that doesn't work. It does if they are referred to as tailback though.
I can't be sure, but suspect those terms come from footballs soccer and rugby parents. Remember, football's changed a lot in a century and a half; in some ways the CFL is closer to the rules Walter Camp formalized (e.g. three downs per series, not four, and more players than the eleven a touring British soccer team convinced the Yalies to use, though still less than rugby squads.)

Poet
05-30-2013, 02:51 AM

Stop posting.

Ravage!!!
05-30-2013, 10:35 AM
When you think about it, why is a dog called a dog?? I mean, what if dog was called a cat???

Dzone
05-30-2013, 12:23 PM
Ok, now is there a distinction between fullback and running back? Used to be fullbacks and tailbacks were all referred to as running backs. Fullbacks were often 1,000 rushers. Jim Brown was called a Fullback. Gale Sayers was a halfback. Now a Fullback is a guy who usually blocks for a running back or quarterback. Is anyone ever called a tailback or halfback anymore? I guess it depends on the play thats called.

Ravage!!!
05-30-2013, 02:08 PM
Ok, now is there a distinction between fullback and running back? Used to be fullbacks and tailbacks were all referred to as running backs. Fullbacks were often 1,000 rushers. Jim Brown was called a Fullback. Gale Sayers was a halfback. Now a Fullback is a guy who usually blocks for a running back or quarterback. Is anyone ever called a tailback or halfback anymore? I guess it depends on the play thats called.

Well...they are ALL RBs. It's like saying all living creatures are animals....but not all are mammals. All OL are OL, but not all OL are centers.

So although all in the backfield are running backs, not all are half-backs. So there has always been a distinction between Halfback (1/2), Fullback (1), and Quarterback (1/4). Fullbacks have generally bee the "blocking back" for a LONG time, before I played and that was 20 years ago. Even if they aren't your blocking back, they are usually the "bigger" back. The guy that is the pounder.

*Atwater*
05-30-2013, 11:19 PM
Because if you asked them to give back some of there salary back there would give you 25¢ back. :D

*Atwater*
05-30-2013, 11:19 PM
Because if you asked them to give back some of there salary they would give you 25¢ back. :D

Mr Bojangles
07-25-2013, 11:25 AM

You have to go back a lot further than your experience would take you Crazy. In the old T-formation, it makes perfect sense.

BroncoNut
07-25-2013, 11:51 AM
You have to go back a lot further than your experience would take you Crazy. In the old T-formation, it makes perfect sense.

I'm going to get you to want to post here no more.

LTC Pain
07-25-2013, 12:21 PM
Because Quartercrotch sounds funny???

Poet
07-30-2013, 01:15 AM

stop making threads!

Thnikkaman
07-30-2013, 02:36 PM
and a halfback called a halfback, and a fullback called a fullback.

mysteries of the universe

http://bit.ly/13kue3A

BroncoJoe
07-30-2013, 03:47 PM
But why was there never a three-quarter back?

Thnikkaman
07-30-2013, 03:49 PM
But why was there never a three-quarter back?

There was a 5/8ths back.