PDA

View Full Version : Dave Costa: 1941-2013

Denver Native (Carol)
05-24-2013, 04:55 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- It has been reported that former Broncos defensive tackle Dave Costa passed away earlier this week. He was 71.

Costa first joined the Broncos in 1967, making the AFL All-Star game for his first three years with the club before the franchise joined the NFL in the 1970 merger.

He served as the team's defensive captain in each of his five seasons with the club, playing in 70 games and starting at least 56 -- starts weren't tallied his first season in Denver.

In the team's 1968 media guide, then-coach Lou Saban said, "We could use about a dozen more Costas."

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Dave-Costa-1941-2013/ea7dc2b7-347f-49fd-bf01-3af1c164012a

OrangeHoof
05-24-2013, 07:47 PM
Perhaps the first area in Broncos history that was truly up to NFL standards was the defensive line of the late 60s and early 70s with Dave Costa and Rich "Tombstone" Jackson anchoring it. Sorry to hear of his passing.

I'm actually watching a tape right now of the 1st MNF telecast (1970s - Jets and Browns) which was 42 years ago and I'm asking myself how many of these players are still living. They'd all be at least in their 60s by now.

topscribe
05-24-2013, 08:24 PM
He was so good. I still have visions of his exploding through the New York Jets'
offensive line and hitting Joe Namath so hard that Namath left his feet before
landing on his backside. That was in 1968, the Jets' Super Bowl year. Denver
was one of the few teams to beat them that year.

What a defensive line that was! Dave Costa, Paul Smith, Pete Duranko, and
Rich Jackson. Never enjoyed the outcome of most of those games, but, boy,
that defensive line!

Rest in peace Dave Costa. You gave this old Broncos fan some real enjoyment . . .