PDA

View Full Version : Ronnie Hillman bulking up

Dapper Dan
05-24-2013, 01:35 PM
He's added 15 pounds. Do you think it'll help him break tackles? Can he carry the weight? Will it slow him down?

BroncoNut
05-24-2013, 01:41 PM
just my opinion, I may be wrong, but I think he needs more than that to change the way he carries for consistent gain. He's got the frame to carry 25 more pounds of muscle mass with 15 of that being in the legs, but he will not be a breakaway big yard type of back anymore. He'll have to become a bruiser

Dapper Dan
05-24-2013, 01:44 PM
I think he's got his age going for him. Hopefully he can be molded into a productive back for years to come.

BroncoNut
05-24-2013, 01:45 PM
I think he's got his age going for him. Hopefully he can be molded into a productive back for years to come.

and I'm not disagreeing with that. Point out where in my post I stated anything contrary?

tubby
05-24-2013, 01:46 PM
I think he weighs more.

Dapper Dan
05-24-2013, 02:00 PM
and I'm not disagreeing with that. Point out where in my post I stated anything contrary?

I wasn't disagreeing with your post.

CoachChaz
05-24-2013, 03:41 PM
It's not like he displayed a ton of speed 15 pounds lighter, so why not

LTC Pain
05-24-2013, 03:42 PM
Not concerned how more weight/muscle affect Hillman's running game. If bulking up helps with his pass protection then it's a huge plus for the Broncos

Ravage!!!
05-24-2013, 04:42 PM
I think he showed MUCH more speed than Moreno and was faster than anyone else we had in the backfield, it was obvious watching him fire through a hole.

I Also think he runs pretty tough, and isn't simply a "scat" back. If he's 5'09 and 215, that's SOLID...wasn't Terrel Davis 5'11" 210?

Denver Native (Carol)
05-24-2013, 04:53 PM
Today's question about the Broncos comes from William H. in San Diego. To submit a question for consideration, send an e-mail to The Denver Post's Jeff Legwold.

Q: I'm wondering what the Broncos' plans are for Ronnie Hillman in his second season and if you think he can beat out Willis McGahee for the starting job? Or, do the Broncos want (Montee) Ball to be the starter?

A: William, the Broncos used the 67th pick (third round) of the 2012 draft on Hillman because they believe he can be an impact player in both the run game and as a receiver in their offense.

He did flash those capabilities at times as a rookie last season, including an 86-yard rushing day against the Saints at 6.1 yards per carry.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23308360/ronnie-hillman-trying-make-most-his-time-broncos

Ravage!!!
05-24-2013, 05:53 PM
rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23308360/ronnie-hillman-trying-make-most-his-time-broncos

ok.. so Hillman is then probably back UP to 200 lbs after losing so much weight last year, instead of adding the 15 on TOP of the 200.

Man.. he is STILL the youngest on the team. Doesn't turn 22 until after season starts. Damn.

Poet
05-24-2013, 07:17 PM
ok.. so Hillman is then probably back UP to 200 lbs after losing so much weight last year, instead of adding the 15 on TOP of the 200.

Man.. he is STILL the youngest on the team. Doesn't turn 22 until after season starts. Damn.

How good do you think he is now, and how good do you think he can be?

Denver Native (Carol)
05-24-2013, 08:02 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – Although he’s still the youngest player on the Broncos, running back Ronnie Hillman now has a full season of NFL experience under his belt.

After being inactive for the first two games of his rookie season, Hillman appeared in the final 14 contests of the regular season, as well as the AFC Divisional Round game versus Baltimore.

He finished the season with 85 carries for 330 yards with one touchdown to go with 10 catches for 62 yards.

“That’s hard to tell,” Hillman said when asked to evaluate his rookie year. “Obviously rookies come with mistakes, but I felt like it got better throughout the year. I can’t really give it a grade. I’m not a professional grader, but I feel like I could improve a lot more.”

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Ronnie-Hillman-Stronger-Wiser-in-Year-Two/b9828a35-8ea0-4507-8bd6-1aeb4d5bb987

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-24-2013, 09:52 PM
I think he showed MUCH more speed than Moreno and was faster than anyone else we had in the backfield, it was obvious watching him fire through a hole.

I Also think he runs pretty tough, and isn't simply a "scat" back. If he's 5'09 and 215, that's SOLID...wasn't Terrel Davis 5'11" 210?

Davis was 220 in the prime of his career. I have a hard time believing Hillman is 215 since he was 185 last year.

Jsteve01
05-24-2013, 10:39 PM

Davis was 220 in the prime of his career. I have a hard time believing Hillman is 215 since he was 185 last year. don't see why with a special regimine of weights trt and NFL variety special sauce he can't add 15 lbs of good weight in the next few years.

Rick
05-24-2013, 10:49 PM
Or he can just stay around 200 and be our change of pace guy. Nothing wrong with that. So long as he can block at that weight there is no reason for him to put on the extra weight, keep the quickness.

Ball is going to be our between the tackles guy.

Ravage!!!
05-25-2013, 10:29 AM
How good do you think he is now, and how good do you think he can be?

Personally, I think he's pretty good. Never going to be a work horse RB, but wasn't drafted to be. Elway showed that by taking his progression and getting Hillman last year and then Ball this year.

5' 9" and 200 is pretty stout, and he showed he had some explosiveness last year when firing through the hole. The one thing that always surprised me when watching him was how strong he was. I was expecting to see a guy that simply trying to run around you, dodge you, or spin away. But he wasnt like that at all. He would make moves, and then push forward for more yardage. His college highlights show a lot more "pound" than I expected to see from his size.

Being that it was his first season, and that he was only 20yrs old when coming into camp last season, reminds me that he has a LOT of time to learn and mature. Not only mentally, but physically.

I'm not sure I would want to add an additionally 15 lbs to his frame. But having him used to the NFL and sticking at 200lbs will make a big difference for him.

Chef Zambini
05-25-2013, 11:26 AM
Not concerned how more weight/muscle affect Hillman's running game. If bulking up helps with his pass protection then it's a huge plus for the BroncosBINGO !
I said it last year...
ANYONE lined up in the backfield, their PRIMARY responsability is to protect MANNING.
Hillman did NOT display amazing speed or quickness last season. He performed well when PUSHED into service due to injuries.
I hope to see improvements this season and the added muscle developed by our now legitimate strength and conditioning crew cant hurt the process.

Chef Zambini
05-25-2013, 11:30 AM
Now that we have Mball hillman is a yawn.

Ravage!!!
05-25-2013, 01:25 PM
Hillman will perform the duties/job that he was drafted to do :lol:

sneakers
05-26-2013, 12:42 AM
Needs to work on those legs....bulking upper body will do nothing....get them legs nice a fat and you will run faster and be harder to tackle

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/d/0/d0e99_ORIG-upper9.jpg