PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Mt. Rushmore

rationalfan
05-24-2013, 10:05 AM
If you haven't seen it, profootballtalk is doing a Mt. Rushmore question for each of the NFL franchises. You know, who are the four players that deserve to placed on a team's Mt. Rushmore.

Here's the site's page: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/19/its-broncos-mt-rushmore-nomination-time/

More importantly, who would you cast in the broncos' stone memorial? it's not an easy answer. my latest attempt:

elway
floyd little
gradishar
sharpe

BeefStew25
05-24-2013, 10:07 AM
Great thread!

I think:

7 (lets just all assume that)
Gradishar
Sharpe
And I think TD over Little. I didn't see Little play, and I know he is a badass, but TD was the main reason we have two Lombardis.

I also think Von will be in the mix down the road. Very soon to say, but he would bump off either of the running backs.

Dapper Dan
05-24-2013, 10:15 AM
Elway the player
Elway the boss
Rahim Moore
Brock Osweiler

Lancane
05-24-2013, 10:23 AM
Elway without question and though a case could be made for Little or Davis, I would go with Steve Atwater, Randy Gradishar and Champ Bailey. I know people will scratch their heads, but Atwater was the face of the defense for over a decade, Gradishar before him and Bailey, he just so happened to be the face of the Broncos for nearly the last two decades (think about that). It's the figureheads that get a place of such honor, they have to be more then just excellent football players.

BeefStew25
05-24-2013, 10:29 AM
Can we just get 4 white guys?

Signed,
Atwater27

Ravage!!!
05-24-2013, 10:38 AM
I can't go with Bailey because he was traded here after 5 seasons somewhere else. If its Mt Rushmore, imo, has to play his entire career here.

Elway
Gradishar
Floyd Little

(man this is the tough one)

Shannon Sharp, Steve Atwater, Karl Mechlenburgh, Rod Smith,

I would have to go with Terrel Davis. I truly believe had he not been injured so early in his career, that he would have been one of the best of all time. He was TRULY a great great RB that had all the tools. He Dominated and was a force for teams to deal with.

rationalfan
05-24-2013, 10:42 AM
oh, damn, i kinda forgot about bailey.

also, i'm not bothered by sharpe playing a little in baltimore. he's a bronco through and through (same with bailey). and i included him over TD because, for a time, you could say sharpe was the greatest TE ever without getting any cross-eyed looks. as great as he was, you can't say the same about TD.

Ravage!!!
05-24-2013, 10:43 AM
oh, damn, i kinda forgot about bailey.

also, i'm not bothered by sharpe playing a little in baltimore. he's a bronco through and through (same with bailey). and i included him over TD because, for a time, you could say sharpe was the greatest TE ever without getting any cross-eyed looks. as great as he was, you can't say the same about TD.

Yeah...but not going by the greatest in the NFL...going by greatest Broncos. Could be said that Terrel Davis is the greatest draft choice in Broncos history. Thus, that could be made to make his case for a Mt Rushmore placing.

Dapper Dan
05-24-2013, 10:47 AM
Dang I forgot about Shanahan. We could throw him in there and unveil it at halftime of the Redskins game. -Zam

LTC Pain
05-24-2013, 10:56 AM
Elway
Gradishar
Floyd Little
Champ Bailey

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
05-24-2013, 11:02 AM
Elway, Gradishar, Rod Smith, and TD

It's really hard to pick 4. I kind of agree with Ravage in a sense that Sharpe and Bailey are hard to put here when they spent good portions of their career elsewhere.

I'm more surprised a Tebowite hasn't decided to put 4 Tebows on the Broncos Mt. Rushmore yet.

LawDog
05-24-2013, 11:07 AM
Randy Gradishar - John Elway - Champ Bailey - Tim McKernan

BroncoJoe
05-24-2013, 11:12 AM
Elway, Gradishar, Rod Smith, and TD

It's really hard to pick 4. I kind of agree with Ravage in a sense that Sharpe and Bailey are hard to put here when they spent good portions of their career elsewhere.

I'm more surprised a Tebowite hasn't decided to put 4 Tebows on the Broncos Mt. Rushmore yet.

Sharpe only spent two years with the Ravens.

MOtorboat
05-24-2013, 11:29 AM
So, just players?

Elway
Gradishar
Little
Atwater

Everyone...
Bowlen
Elway
Shanahan
Little

Traveler
05-24-2013, 11:33 AM
And I think TD over Little. I didn't see Little play, and I know he is a badass, but TD was the main reason we have two Lombardis.

Elway & Little are no brainers. If not for Floyd Little there probably wouldn't be in team in Denver. His decision to sign with Denver almost single-handedly legitimized this franchise.

Elway
Little
Sharpe
Bowlen

Magnificent Seven
05-24-2013, 01:29 PM
Elway

Sharpe

Tom Jackson

Floyd Little

Dapper Dan
05-24-2013, 01:40 PM
tHree of the fouR hastobe koobiak...bobbyturner... aleX giBbbs

Chef Zambini
05-24-2013, 02:19 PM
Elway without question and though a case could be made for Little or Davis, I would go with Steve Atwater, Randy Gradishar and Champ Bailey. I know people will scratch their heads, but Atwater was the face of the defense for over a decade, Gradishar before him and Bailey, he just so happened to be the face of the Broncos for nearly the last two decades (think about that). It's the figureheads that get a place of such honor, they have to be more then just excellent football players.
and with that in mind...
elway
little
TD
rod smith

I would sub gradishar for smith to represent denver defense, its just that rod always was the fans fav, the blue collar work ethic that earned him a place on the field.

Dapper Dan
05-24-2013, 02:44 PM
and with that in mind...
elway
little
TD
rod smith

I would sub gradishar for smith to represent denver defense, its just that rod always was the fans fav, the blue collar work ethic that earned him a place on the field.

Well said.

BeefStew25
05-24-2013, 03:49 PM
and with that in mind...
elway
little
TD
rod smith

Except he pounded on his common law wife.

Slick
05-24-2013, 04:21 PM
Elway
Little
Davis
Sharpe/Gradishar

Good find rational. Interesting topic.

gregbroncs
05-24-2013, 04:45 PM
This is difficult.

I'll go:
Elway: Obvious
Little: Never saw play but means to much to older fans that did to leave off.
TD: As said without him I don't believe we win either title and that matters to me.
Atwater: My favorite defender all time for this team. Played for another team only after the Broncos did not want him. Still retired a Bronco.

BroncoWave
05-24-2013, 04:49 PM
Elway, Davis, Sharpe, Little

TXBRONC
05-24-2013, 04:56 PM
Randy Gradishar like Elway would have to be there. He was the heart of the defense entire time he played in Denver.

Canmore
05-24-2013, 05:21 PM
Randy Gradishar like Elway would have to be there. He was the heart of the defense entire time he played in Denver.

Agreed. You can't leave him off the mountain.

cmc0605
05-24-2013, 05:38 PM
John Elway
Rod Smith
Randy Gradishar
Champ Bailey

I'd have to sneak in a fifth head for Sharpe

Chef Zambini
05-25-2013, 11:15 AM
...and if somebody wants to argue that shanny should be one of the four, I would entertain that quartet too !
but for me there are THREEE undeniable candidates to be taken for granit.
elway, little and davis.

Chef Zambini
05-25-2013, 11:16 AM
why shannon sharpe over rod smith?

tomjonesrocks
05-25-2013, 11:42 AM
Sharpe was a better tight end in the pantheon of tight ends than Smith was to WRs. And Davis won a Lombardi.

So I'd go

The Duke
Davis
Sharpe
Gradishar

Hard to leave Atwater, Smith, T. Jackson and Little (though Little runs his mouth bitterly) off but it has to be done. Love me some Mecklenburg too but he's not a "Mt. Rushmore" guy...

Chef Zambini
05-25-2013, 11:50 AM
Sharpe was a better tight end in the pantheon of tight ends than Smith was to WRs. And Davis won a Lombardi.

So I'd go

The Duke
Davis
Sharpe
Gradishar

Hard to leave Atwater, Smith, and Little (though Little runs his mouth bitterly) off but it has to be done. Love me some Mecklenburg too but he's not a "Mt. Rushmore" guy...
LITTLE KEPT THE BRONCOS IN DENVER.
sharpe did not STAY in denver, like smith and little.
Little was the leagues best when he retired!
who caught more baLLS, PLAYED MORE GAMES and made more blocks ?
and did you say "run the mouth"

tomjonesrocks
05-25-2013, 12:07 PM
and did you say "run the mouth"

I did, and he has been.

Shanahan basically sent Sharpe packing. His offer was half what the Ravens put out there.

smith49
05-25-2013, 12:15 PM
I'm pretty sure that at some point the plan was to put a couple more heads on the original mtn. Therefore I reserve the right to do the same. So........
Elway
Little
TD
Sharp
Atwater
With future ground set aside for........
Pat Bowlen (memorial)
Miller

Yah, this is a tough one.

Chef Zambini
05-25-2013, 12:18 PM
I'm pretty sure that at some point the plan was to put a couple more heads on the original mtn. Therefore I reserve the right to do the same. So........
Elway
Little
TD
Sharp
Atwater
With future ground set aside for........
Pat Bowlen (memorial)
Miller

Yah, this is a tough one.I salute your justification !

Lancane
05-25-2013, 12:25 PM
Like I said, there could be a case made for Little or Davis, of the two, if I had to chose for such an honor, despite what Davis did in Denver I'd have to go with Little. R. Smith, D. Smith, S. Sharpe, T. Jackson, K. Mecklenburg, S. Fletcher, R. Carter and K. Bishop (who is still with the Broncos).

The problem I have is that Elway takes the first head no question, but I don't see how Champ Bailey can be left off since he literally has been the face of the franchise for the last decade...but I could see either side of the argument.

Shit... I am going to change my answer, because there is someone I forgot about and who deserves to be on the wall as much as anyone else.

So, I would go... Floyd Little, Louis Wright, Randy Gradishar and John Elway (period).

Ravage!!!
05-25-2013, 01:16 PM
I personally think the undeniables are:

Elway (just too obvious) In HoF.
Randy Gradishar (another that was "the face" of the franchise when he played. The HEART of the "Orange Crush") SHOULD be in the HoF.
Floyd Little (Traveler made the perfect point for Little. He put Denver on the Map. Elway took that map and expanded it.) In HoF.

The fourth has so many candidates that make the discussion interesting. Shannon Sharpe who IS in the HoF? Davis, who SHOULD be in the HoF? Shanahan who will probably be in the HoF?

Does it have anything to do with the HoF? I think it's those that people think of when thinking of the Broncos History. Which is why I think that comes down to either Sharpe, Davis, or Atwater. I don't think people think of Bailey when talking about Denver (after all, he has spent 33% of his career somewhere else). I don't believe people think of Rod Smith when they think of the Broncos.

Now Bronco fans think of Rod...but Sharpe, Davis and Atwater are bigger than life. Their name became synonymous with the Broncos...even though they played at the same time.

Ravage!!!
05-25-2013, 01:20 PM
ahhh.. damn... Louis Wright. A name that should absolutely be in the discussion for the 4th spot.

tomjonesrocks
05-25-2013, 03:40 PM
ahhh.. damn... Louis Wright. A name that should absolutely be in the discussion for the 4th spot.

I forgot about him as well. Don't think he's top 4, though.

broncofaninfla
05-25-2013, 07:35 PM
Elway
Atwater
Gradishar
Davis

topscribe
05-25-2013, 08:23 PM
The no-brainers:

John Elway - The greatest player ever to don a Broncos helmet.
Floyd Little - Without him, the Broncos would have the name of another city in their name -- and probably another mascot. Not naming him would be a travesty in the first degree.

Bearing the heaviest weight in the remainder:

Randy Gradishar - The greatest linebacker ever to play for the Broncos, and maybe the greatest defender, until Von Miller, but Miller has yet a few years to cover.
Terrell Davis - The best all around running back in the league during his years and one of the two biggest reasons for the two Super Bowls (see above for the other)

Honorable Mention:

Shannon Sharpe - The greatest TE to play for the Broncos and one of the greatest ever in the NFL
Champ Bailey - Arguably the greatest CB ever to play the game. 12 Pro Bowls and 3 All-Pros prove it. But the others started and retired as Denver Broncos.
Steve Atwater - The greatest of an impressive line of safeties throughout the history of the Denver Broncos franchise.

Jsteve01
05-27-2013, 12:35 AM
Love this topic

I'm with most of the rest when i say Elway and Gradishar. After that, I go a tandem of TD and Little. You can't deny either's impact on the Broncos. Little because he was the team and TD because he carried it.

Dapper Dan
05-27-2013, 02:43 AM
Didn't someone start this topic before?

Jsteve01
05-27-2013, 08:58 AM
my second tier of players, let's call it Mt Evans would be in no particular order, Champ, Atwater, Rod and Dennis Smith, Zim, Wilson, Tom and Randy Jackson, Fletcher, Mecklenburg, Rulon Jones, Eddie Mac, Shannon (who btw would have been my first alternate for TD and Little) Tom Nalen (who really should be on that first list but I can't put him over any of the other players) Von Miller. My coaches would be Shanny, Kubes, Gibbs, turner, Reeves and Collier. Collier had much more impact on our late 70s broncos than Miller. Oh and I forgot louis wright

Chef Zambini
05-27-2013, 01:52 PM
glad you mentioned ruilon jones,

the guy was TRIPLE teamed his entire career,
or just DOUBLE teamed when the play was designed to run away from him.
he was the first bronco to appear on the cover of sports illustrated,
you can just make out the top of his helmet , his shoulders, and the 3 names on the back of the THREE guys blocking him.

turftoad
05-27-2013, 03:06 PM
Dennis Smith anyone??

Chef Zambini
05-27-2013, 03:14 PM
D. smith.
most likely not one of the four to "make for granite", but definatly a coffeee mug in the gift shop.

gregbroncs
05-27-2013, 09:57 PM
Dennis Smith anyone??Really liked D. Smith. Atwater was just better.

Chef Zambini
05-28-2013, 11:08 AM
they were a great tandem, a 2 headed mug in the gift shop would be great.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-28-2013, 11:31 AM
I can't go with Bailey because he was traded here after 5 seasons somewhere else. If its Mt Rushmore, imo, has to play his entire career here.

Elway
Gradishar
Floyd Little

(man this is the tough one)

Shannon Sharp, Steve Atwater, Karl Mechlenburgh, Rod Smith,

I would have to go with Terrel Davis. I truly believe had he not been injured so early in his career, that he would have been one of the best of all time. He was TRULY a great great RB that had all the tools. He Dominated and was a force for teams to deal with.

Yeah, that's a tough one. I would have it narrowed down to Karl, TD, and Sharpe.

Chef Zambini
05-28-2013, 06:53 PM
TD and rod spent their entire careers as broncos, just like elway and little and gradishar.
that counts for something !

Lancane
05-29-2013, 11:24 AM
I forgot about him as well. Don't think he's top 4, though.

Louis Wright was Denver's first true shutdown corner from the 70's into the 80's, a five time pro bowl selection and two time all-pro selection which back then was an honor that was hard as hell to receive. Bailey has about 8 more interceptions during his time in Denver, but Wright played in an era in which the league was truly run first and the passing offenses were just beginning to explode on the scene, think how impressive that is before you discount him, Ray Crockett who was our top corner during the 90's and in a more pass happy league couldn't match what Wright did in Denver.

The bigger problem is that when I look at who should be finalists for such an honor, there are too many, but Mnt. Rushmore was about the forefathers of the country, shouldn't Denver's be same?

Gradishar, Little and Wright represent that nostalgia of Denver's beginnings and Elway like Lincoln simply is too powerful of a figurehead to not be included. But of course the sheer cost of such a project is too expensive, so it will never happen.

Chef Zambini
05-29-2013, 01:24 PM
lincoln and roosevelt, not exactly forefathers.
regardless, no votes for tripuka.
or the broncos original owners.

rationalfan
05-29-2013, 02:30 PM
lincoln and roosevelt, not exactly forefathers.
regardless, no votes for tripuka.
or the broncos original owners.

Lincoln: forefather of American equality.
Teddy Roosevelt: forefather of America's westward ho attitude.(stretching it. The guy is on there because the Dakotas loved him.)

Tripucka: wish I knew more about him.

Chef Zambini
05-29-2013, 06:15 PM
F-trip the kids used to call him.
dude was dope with the mad QB skills.

tomjonesrocks
05-30-2013, 09:54 PM
TD and rod spent their entire careers as broncos, just like elway and little and gradishar.
that counts for something !

I see it as kind of meaningless.

Once any RB gets past 30 he's game to be shipped out. It's terrible, but Shanahan didn't get nostalgic over Sharpe and Shanahan can grow RBs on trees--am not seeing a reason Davis couldn't have been moved late in his career, barring injury. If that had happened--Davis is out for consideration for Rushmore?

The NFL is a business. Wake up.

Chef Zambini
05-31-2013, 01:38 AM
I dont care about your perception of the NFL as a buisness.
who deserves to be on mount rushmore is what this is aBOUT, it has nothing to do with buisness decisions unless you want to put a GM up there.
This is stricktly about who deserves to be up there.
TD is one of those most worthy.

Ravage!!!
05-31-2013, 09:20 AM
I see it as kind of meaningless.

Once any RB gets past 30 he's game to be shipped out. It's terrible, but Shanahan didn't get nostalgic over Sharpe and Shanahan can grow RBs on trees--am not seeing a reason Davis couldn't have been moved late in his career, barring injury. If that had happened--Davis is out for consideration for Rushmore?

The NFL is a business. Wake up.

I don't care that it's a business, we aren't talking about the inner workings of the NFL...we are talking about the Rushmore of the Denver Broncos. IT ABSOLUTELY makes a difference, in this context, if the player played their career with Denver.

If you haven't noticed, Shannon Sharpe has people's consideration...but that was because he spent nearly ALL his HoF here in Denver first. Champ Bailey, has spend 33% of his career with another team BEFORE coming here. You don't think that makes a difference?

I think spending your entire career on one team, makes a HUGE difference as to if you should be considered on the "Rushmore" of that city.

Chef Zambini
05-31-2013, 10:24 AM
elway played in 5 superbowls.
2 with TD... THREE without !
ask JFE if TD belongs along side him on a "rushmore" tribute !

TXBRONC
05-31-2013, 10:36 AM

No, Elway scored at least one touchdown in every Super Bowl he played in.

Now if you're talking just about touchdown pass you would still be mistaken. In only two of them was he held without a touch down pass.

BroncoJoe
05-31-2013, 10:38 AM
No, Elway scored at least one touchdown in every Super Bowl he played in.

Now if you're talking just about touchdown pass you would still be mistaken. In only two of them was he held without a touch down pass.

I think he's talking about Terrell Davis.

TXBRONC
05-31-2013, 10:40 AM
I think he's talking about Terrell Davis.

Ugh and Thank at the same time. :beer:

rationalfan
06-01-2013, 09:54 AM

You know who else was on those suber bowl winning teams? Sharpe.

Chef Zambini
06-01-2013, 11:20 AM
You know who else was on those suber bowl winning teams? Sharpe.52 other guys and a bunch of coaches
I dont recall sharpe winning MVP of anything.
not team mvp
not superbowl MVP
not league mvp.
sharpe was a great teammate, but his contributions to the broncos are back seat worthy when TD is riding shot-gun with elway.

WTE
06-01-2013, 11:29 AM
OK, I am going to pick my top four from this group: Maurice Clarett, Todd Sauerbrun, Bill Romanowski, Jarvis Green, Simeon Rice, Travis Henry, Daryl Gardener.

Give me a few minutes.

topscribe
06-01-2013, 02:12 PM
OK, I am going to pick my top four from this group: Maurice Clarett, Todd Sauerbrun, Bill Romanowski, Jarvis Green, Simeon Rice, Travis Henry, Daryl Gardener.

Give me a few minutes.
LOL - Actually, Romo was a good linebacker. Not top four good, but still good.

Chef Zambini
06-01-2013, 02:57 PM
LOL - Actually, Romo was a good linebacker. Not top four good, but still good.
.romo is listed with these other former broncos, NOT because of his skill level, but because he is a scumbag human being like all these other guys who disgraced the bronco uniform

WTE
06-01-2013, 03:15 PM
romo is listed with these other former broncos, NOT because of his skill level, but because he is a scumbag human being like all these other guys who disgraced the bronco uniform

Did he spit in someone's face wearing a Broncos uni or 49ers?

MOtorboat
06-01-2013, 03:23 PM
Did he spit in someone's face wearing a Broncos uni or 49ers?

I believe both.

:coffee:

topscribe
06-01-2013, 03:57 PM
romo is listed with these other former broncos, NOT because of his skill level, but because he is a scumbag human being like all these other guys who disgraced the bronco uniform
Well, some of that is a matter of opinion. He was not the type of man I would like
to see dating my daughter, to be sure. But I would have a hard time lumping him
with thieves and lechers, which some of those players were. And he was a solid
cog in the defense during some very successful times for the Broncos. I'm
actually grateful for some of the attitude he brought to that defense. And he
was a good linebacker.

Poet
06-01-2013, 04:02 PM
Well, some of that is a matter of opinion. He was not the type of man I would like
to see dating my daughter, to be sure. But I would have a hard time lumping him
with thieves and lechers, which some of those players were. And he was a solid
cog in the defense during some very successful times for the Broncos. I'm
actually grateful for some of the attitude he brought to that defense. And he
was a good linebacker.

He was linked in heavily introducing cocaine into the NFL. He took so many steroids that he raged out and almost blinded his teammate when he punched him. He was a dirty player and I've read he was an awful father and spouse. He spit on J.J. Stokes, got into a fight with Tony G, the list goes on and on.

I think the guy was just nothing more than a thug. I loathe that guy.

topscribe
06-01-2013, 04:09 PM
He was linked in heavily introducing cocaine into the NFL. He took so many steroids that he raged out and almost blinded his teammate when he punched him. He was a dirty player and I've read he was an awful father and spouse. He spit on J.J. Stokes, got into a fight with Tony G, the list goes on and on.

I think the guy was just nothing more than a thug. I loathe that guy.
You also root for another team. I'm glad he was there to give the attitude to
my team.

I know all those things, although links are not proof - they are just links,
suspicion. I have also kept track of him since and seen what he has become.
I'm just saying that some of us hold Romo in contempt, and some of us don't.
I don't think we can say that of the other guys in WTE's list . . .

Poet
06-01-2013, 04:54 PM
You also root for another team. I'm glad he was there to give the attitude to
my team.

I know all those things, although links are not proof - they are just links,
suspicion. I have also kept track of him since and seen what he has become.
I'm just saying that some of us hold Romo in contempt, and some of us don't.
I don't think we can say that of the other guys in WTE's list . . .

What does that have to do with anything? Pacman Jones is an awful human being, regardless of where he plays. He's currently a Bengal. I also don't understand your comments about the links and comments about Romo. Everything about him is commonly known for a reason.

MOtorboat
06-01-2013, 05:26 PM
I don't know about the cocaine, but Romanowski was pretty much a scumbag during his playing days, steroids, fights, spitting, classless type of stuff.

WTE
06-01-2013, 06:11 PM
In his prime I always wanted Romo on the Patriots. He was a terrific player and he's from Boston. Also, He has turned his life around quite a bit recently. He's not perfect but he's come a long way.

topscribe
06-01-2013, 07:02 PM
What does that have to do with anything? Pacman Jones is an awful human being, regardless of where he plays. He's currently a Bengal. I also don't understand your comments about the links and comments about Romo. Everything about him is commonly known for a reason.
What does Jones have to do with anything? Romanowski was not booted from
the Broncos for a reason. It was because there was no proof behind many of
those allegations. To start believing something right off the table because it
is "commonly known" is a departure from wisdom.

He had a temper problem. Big deal. It's not like he stole other people's luggage
or knocked up 11 women. People act as if he beat up their sister or something.
He played linebacker, did a damn good job, and left of his own accord. There
are two Lombardi trophies in a case at Dove Valley won by teams on which he
played, one year as a Pro Bowler. The rest is his problem, not mine.

Poet
06-01-2013, 07:06 PM
What does Jones have to do with anything? Romanowski was not booted from
the Broncos for a reason. It was because there was no proof behind many of
those allegations. To start believing something right off the table because it
is "commonly known" is a departure from wisdom.

He had a temper problem. Big deal. It's not like he stole other people's luggage
or knocked up 11 women. People act as if he beat up their sister or something.
He played linebacker, did a damn good job, and left of his own accord. There
are two Lombardi trophies in a case at Dove Valley won by teams on which he
played, one year as a Pro Bowler. The rest is his problem, not mine.

The analogy between Jones and Romo shows that your point about him being on your team and not mine is invalid.

There's a difference between having a temper problem and being Romo. It's not hard to distinguish between the two.

topscribe
06-01-2013, 07:14 PM
The analogy between Jones and Romo shows that your point about him being on your team and not mine is invalid.

There's a difference between having a temper problem and being Romo. It's not hard to distinguish between the two.
Who cares? I know it makes no difference to you what he has contributed toward
the Broncos. Not every Broncos fan likes Romo. But no one from another team
likes him. No one from here liked Phillips before he transferred here. That is why
it is ludicrous that I am in an argument [edited] on this with someone who is
not even a Broncos fan. Have a good day. :)

P.S. Should have edited this and added the smiley before. I seemed to have
given the wrong impression here. I apologize to everyone to whom this was a
disruption.

Poet
06-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Who cares? I know it makes no difference to you what he has contributed toward
the Broncos. Not every Broncos fan likes Romo. But no one from another team
likes him. No one from here liked Phillips before he transferred here. That is why
it is ludicrous that I am discussing this with someone who is not even a Broncos
fan. Have a good day.

You are literally one of the biggest children on this message board. Whenever anyone actually posts something that is a strong counterpoint to what you say, you throw a tizzy. You have for years. It's beyond sad how you have to juxtapose and form obtuse arguments to 'protect' yourself on the INTERNET!

You argue that it doesn't make a difference to me what he did as a player. How do you actually know that? You don't. I don't dislike guys who play beyond the whistle. I dislike guys who juice up on steriods, attack their teammates, spit on opposing players and have ties to BALCO.

This stuff especially cracks me up, because when I post anything in here that you do agree with, you hi-five it. So in reality you only find it "ludicrous," when you disagree with me.

WTE
06-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Hi King,

I wanted Romanowski on the Patriots.

Your point has failed. Tops wins!

Poet
06-01-2013, 08:57 PM
Hi King,

I wanted Romanowski on the Patriots.

Your point has failed. Tops wins!

Hi WTE,

That has no bearing on my point.

My point stands.

topscribe
06-01-2013, 09:51 PM
You are literally one of the biggest children on this message board. Whenever anyone actually posts something that is a strong counterpoint to what you say, you throw a tizzy. You have for years. It's beyond sad how you have to juxtapose and form obtuse arguments to 'protect' yourself on the INTERNET!

You argue that it doesn't make a difference to me what he did as a player. How do you actually know that? You don't. I don't dislike guys who play beyond the whistle. I dislike guys who juice up on steriods, attack their teammates, spit on opposing players and have ties to BALCO.

This stuff especially cracks me up, because when I post anything in here that you do agree with, you hi-five it. So in reality you only find it "ludicrous," when you disagree with me.
How did I throw a tizzy? Because I disagreed with you? I think it is you who are
acting very immature right now. If you can't stand to be disagreed with, then
don't post with me. And I'll make sure not to post with you.

(BTW, if you go back and read very carefully, you will see that it was my
involvement I found ludicrous, not yours.)

You are also the first I have seen on this board to criticize someone for saluting
you. Don't worry; I won't do that anymore.

Remember, I am the one who counseled you when you were first on this board
blowing up at almost everybody.You need to grow up. You really do.

Wow. :tsk:

Poet
06-01-2013, 09:53 PM
Bad. Wrong. Terrible. I'm doing fine, Top. You can stop giving me a lecture anytime we talk about something on this board.

SR
06-01-2013, 10:09 PM
Geez top...

Chef Zambini
06-02-2013, 12:10 AM
romo is a scumbag.
the fact that you may have liked him as a player does not reconcile what he was as a member of society.
I heard that the OJ guy was a pretty good football player too.
yes, romo did make contributions on the field, unlike the other SCUMBAGS MENTIONED.
But he also assaul;ted hus own teammates
missed alot of tackles going for the sportcenter highlight hit. and threrw his own wife under the bus to take his drug rap.

Chef Zambini
06-02-2013, 12:13 AM
I don't know about the cocaine, but Romanowski was pretty much a scumbag during his playing days, steroids, fights, spitting, classless type of stuff.

mo. on this we agree 100 %

topscribe
06-02-2013, 12:16 AM
romo is a scumbag.
the fact that you may have liked him as a player does not reconcile what he was as a member of society.
I heard that the OJ guy was a pretty good football player too.
yes, romo did make contributions on the field, unlike the other SCUMBAGS MENTIONED.
But he also assaul;ted hus own teammates
missed alot of tackles going for the sportcenter highlight hit. and threrw his own wife under the bus to take his drug rap.
That may all be true, and I'm not saying I condone that type of behavior.

All I'm saying is that Romo was a valuable cog in the Broncos' Super Bowl teams.
That is also true.

Chef Zambini
06-02-2013, 09:39 AM
romo might be the most dispicable bronco ever !
its embarrasing that he is even mentioned favorably in this thread about bronco greats.

topscribe
06-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Zam, I don't know of anybody here who has listed Romanowski with the
Broncos "greats." I simply said he was a good linebacker. And he was. But his
name doesn't come up in my mind when I think of Broncos "greats."

But, even in view of all the things he is suspected to have done, I would be
hard pressed to say he was more despicable than Travis Henry or Maurice
Clarett. That's not to excuse him for what he did, though, any more than any
of us is to be excused for what we have done - and we all have skeletons.

LTC Pain
06-04-2013, 09:47 AM
Romanowski played 243 consecutive games, an NFL record among linebackers, won 4 Super Bowl Championships, and is the only linebacker to start 5 Super Bowl Games (Super Bowl XXIII, Super Bowl XXIV, Super Bowl XXXII, Super Bowl XXXIII and Super Bowl XXXVII). During his 16 year career, Romanowski compiled 1,105 tackles, 39.5 sacks, 18 forced fumbles, and 18 interceptions, which he returned for a net total of 98 yards and 1 career touchdown. Romanowski was a Pro Bowl selection twice, in 1996 and 1998, both during his tenure with the Denver Broncos.

BroncoJoe
06-04-2013, 09:49 AM
I got no issue with Romo. Other than he became a Raider after he was with us.

Ravage!!!
06-04-2013, 10:00 AM
I liked Romo on the field. I don't WANT my MLB to be a "nice guy." I don't care that he juiced, because I don't care if any of them do. I think that is only an "insult" to a player when someone doesn't like them personally. If you like the player, then its just brushed off as no big deal. Yes, Romo is a bit weird. Yes he can be off his rocker. I also think the spitting in the face thing was COMPLETELY overblown because people wanted to make a big deal over it...especially since it was Romo.

I'm not going to defend all his actions. I'm not going to say he was a "great guy." He made mistakes and did some REALLY stupid things. But the guy was one HELL of a football player and was, absolutely, a big cog on our Super Bowl winning teams. Just as he was on the other Super Bowl teams he was a part of.

Don't have to like the person to admire/like the player (besides, we know king doesn't like anyone). :)

Chef Zambini
06-04-2013, 10:42 AM
how many tackles did romo have in our SBs?
How many for a loss?
how many sacks?
forced funmbles?
I think romo was over-rated. I watched him many time4s go for the knock out blow to make the evening highlights, and instead miss and often nail his own teammates.
many times.
the spitting was nothing short of dispicable.
no objective person would view it any other way !
sorry RAV, even when I put on my darkest pair of orange tinted glasses, when I look at romonowski i still see a scumbag.

Chef Zambini
06-04-2013, 10:45 AM
I got no issue with Romo. Other than he became a Raider after he was with us.you have very low standards for players.
you dont care who they kill while drunk behind the wheel, as long as they contribute on sunday.
they are just football players, not civil servants.

Ravage!!!
06-04-2013, 10:54 AM
how many tackles did romo have in our SBs?
How many for a loss?
how many sacks?
forced funmbles?
I think romo was over-rated. I watched him many time4s go for the knock out blow to make the evening highlights, and instead miss and often nail his own teammates.
many times.
the spitting was nothing short of dispicable.
no objective person would view it any other way !
sorry RAV, even when I put on my darkest pair of orange tinted glasses, when I look at romonowski i still see a scumbag.

That's a crappy way of looking at it, and you should know it. You aren't accounting for his defensive calls, reads, leadership and experience on the field. You can't look at his individual stats and say that he was NOT a big cog in getting our team TO, and winning, those Super Bowls. That's being intentionally blind and revisionist memory with the "all I remember is him missing tackles."

Chef Zambini
06-04-2013, 11:03 AM
rav didnt say it was all, it was just something I remember about romo BEFORE he spit in a WR face, before he hit his own teammates in practice with his helmet used as a weapon in his hand. before he broke the jaw of a fellow teammate in practice, before he threw his wife under the bus for drugs found in his home.
of course he had talent aND MADE PLAYS...
but I still consider him over-rated by manny and a dispicable human being.
not the least bit proud that he wore the bronco uniform, and I know he has no place for YOU or anyone else on a bronco mount rushmore!

rationalfan
06-04-2013, 01:43 PM
52 other guys and a bunch of coaches
I dont recall sharpe winning MVP of anything.
not team mvp
not superbowl MVP
not league mvp.
sharpe was a great teammate, but his contributions to the broncos are back seat worthy when TD is riding shot-gun with elway.

hey, TD was great. but there are a couple things to consider with him:
1. olandis gary and mike anderson. their production suggests a portion of davis' "greatness" came from the scheme/lineman. granted, TD was WAY more naturally gifted than gary or anderson, but there's a reason why people suggested shanahan could plug any RB into his backfield and get 1,000 yards.

2. TD's injury took away the back end of his career. this means that we didn't see him as an aging RB with decreasing effectiveness. we didn't see him struggle on the field. we just remember his prime days. again, i'm not suggesting TD wasn't great, but we only saw his greatness, while we saw the declining talents of others.

as for sharpe, his accomplishments were "back seat worthy"? really? don't forget, the guy defined the modern day TE mismatch (which helped pull defenders his way so mcaffrey and smith could get open). he held the record for most receptions by TE ever (most of them thrown by elway). and don't forget that he was the guy elway often went to in clutch situations (remember the pittsburgh playoff game? the KC playoff game). sure, he didn't win any MVP awards. but neither did zimmerman. do you want to suggest he was just "a great teammate" too?

TD was great. so was sharpe. don't discount him just to prove a point.

BroncoJoe
06-04-2013, 01:51 PM
you have very low standards for players.
you dont care who they kill while drunk behind the wheel, as long as they contribute on sunday.

Remind me of who Romo killed while driving drunk. Maybe I'll care at that point.

Chef Zambini
06-05-2013, 11:22 AM
your "maybe' says it all.

Chef Zambini
06-05-2013, 11:28 AM
sharpe or TD ?
who had a greater impact on the bronco success?
the obvious answer should put the debate to rest!
"back seat" is not a slander, JFE would tell you himself that TD rides shot-gun in the SB winning vehicle.
and...
if TDs production was a consequence of the SYSTEM, so was sharpes mis-match contributions.
I loved M anderson. but he was no TD !
ask gibbs, shanny, kubiak and turner if TD was "special"

BroncoJoe
06-05-2013, 01:35 PM
your "maybe' says it all.

and your idiotic, moronic and truthless rants say it all as well.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-05-2013, 02:04 PM
Tombstone Jackson would be a much more heralded player in the historical discussion of the NFL if the teams he played for weren't so awful. He was probably just as physically gifted as Deacon Jones, and may have actually been the original player to use the head slap. :D

Chef Zambini
06-06-2013, 10:10 AM
and your idiotic, moronic and truthless rants say it all as well.sad, angry joe.
Can't get past his unwarrented hostility.
poor, angry joe.

BroncoJoe
06-06-2013, 01:27 PM
sad, angry joe.
Can't get past his unwarrented hostility.
poor, angry joe.

Poor? No.
Angry? No.

Sick and tired of wasting time reading your worthless posts? Absolutely.

CBoone
06-09-2013, 09:25 AM
Elway
Sharp
Atwater
T.Davis
Runner ups
T.jackson
R.smith
K.mecklenburgh

topscribe
06-09-2013, 10:40 AM
Poor? No.
Angry? No.

Sick and tired of wasting time reading your worthless posts? Absolutely.
I've come up with a solution for you . . .

Don't read them. :coffee:

BroncoJoe
06-13-2013, 01:33 PM
I've come up with a solution for you . . .

Don't read them. :coffee:

Sure. I'll just magically skip over the idiotic posts in every thread from now on.

:coffee:

How about you mind your own business?

Chef Zambini
06-13-2013, 01:36 PM
joe, you will always have a place on my Mt. Rushmore.

GEM
06-14-2013, 10:05 AM
you have very low standards for players.

This is ridiculous, Zam. Romo never killed anyone driving drunk so drop the dramatics. And while you're at that, who the hell are you to tell Joe what his standards are. Get a grip. Drama king.

Chef Zambini
06-14-2013, 11:18 AM
gem, you are indeed priceless.
Joe has never cared about a players off field antics, as long as he is a player on sunday.
excuse me for pointing out joes MO.
gem you ask"who am I "?
I am a MEMBER of this forum just like YOU!
nice to meet you gem.

Poet
06-14-2013, 02:06 PM
Zam, what the **** did you just say?

Chef Zambini
06-15-2013, 09:45 AM
JFE is responsable for that change in culture, !
shanny NEVER wanted old timers around !

JFE knows the importance of intilling the pride and passing the torch!
JFE recognized that when HE won the SB every bronco of the past had a part and took great joy in the victory !

the above is my OPINION !
it is based on countless comments I recall from shlereth , T. jackson , A, shefter and others when discussing the culture at dove valley.
were former players BARRED from coming to practices, not likely.
But did they feel welcome, or did SHANNY go out of his way to foster a welcome environment or encourage former players to speak to the team, absolutly NOT.
you can CHOOSE to believe what you want, let me know next time shanny holds an alumni day for redskins !

MOtorboat
06-15-2013, 12:11 PM
Did you post that same rant in three separate threads this morning?

Good grief.

Chef Zambini
06-15-2013, 01:20 PM
good grief exactly! same silly arguement spilled over into 3 threads. I contend that shanny did not foster the same welcome for formewr players that now exists and the CCO crew jumps into red alert !